X3 - Reunion any good?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

X3 - Reunion any good?

Post by Faram »

Topic says it all, but do anyone here have that game and is it any good?
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

It contains StarForce copy protection, automatic blacklist here. Not going to touch the fucker.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It takes FOREVER to get started. Way, WAY longer than games like Elite or Freelancer and stuff. Until you get decent money, and into the meat of the game, it's basically a truck driver simulator, and boring as all hell.

And it uses that fucking StarForce BULLSHIT.
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

Well, I for one am looking forward to it very much, and will be straight out no friday to buy it when its out this week. It is a slow game to start, though this one seems to have more starting options, seems you can pick a role (trader, assassin, etc). Also, going pirate is a much more complete style of play now :twisted:

It's a game that you can get a lot out of if you have the patience. It's also one of the nicest looking games out there :D

As for the starforce copy protection, for X2 they released an official patch that removed the copy protection. I don't imagine they'll make the same mistake again. I hope.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

ggs wrote:It contains StarForce copy protection, automatic blacklist here. Not going to touch the fucker.
Son of a bitch! So they had to go and ruin a game I was looking forward to with that bullshit copy protection. Fuck!
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

You know, Starforce HAS gone through some changes. Space Rangers 2 has Starforce, but virtually everyone I know of has had zero problems with it. It is entirely possible that X3 has a similar version.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Hotfoot wrote:You know, Starforce HAS gone through some changes. Space Rangers 2 has Starforce, but virtually everyone I know of has had zero problems with it. It is entirely possible that X3 has a similar version.
I probably still get it. I'm just going to back up everything important and make a restore point before I install.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Hotfoot wrote:You know, Starforce HAS gone through some changes. Space Rangers 2 has Starforce, but virtually everyone I know of has had zero problems with it. It is entirely possible that X3 has a similar version.
Anything which fucking installs an IDE controller driver which is hidden, I'm not fucking touching. No matter how "well behaved" it is.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Allow me to be a n00b for a moment and ask just what the hell makes this Starforce stuff so diabolical compared to the other stuff out there. Furthermore, does it actually do its job or is it just a hassle to everyone, including legitimate users?
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

It appears that US version will not be using Starforce. No one knows for sure on the X3 forums or on a couple of other forums I checked, but that's what the scuttle-butt says. Guess I'll find out in a week or so.

Frankly, I've had it with copy protection. If you want to verify that I've both the game with some unique user ID, like Steam, fine, go ahead. But do not violate my right to make a legal copy of the software! [/preeching to the choir]
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

ggs wrote:Anything which fucking installs an IDE controller driver which is hidden, I'm not fucking touching. No matter how "well behaved" it is.
And for all you know, the current version doesn't do that anymore. I remember hearing that the company had to tone it down after the serious backlash of the initial versions.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Tragic
Padawan Learner

Post by Tragic »

When is the release date for this game?
"The point of war isn't to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" Gen. George Patton.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

It went gold last week or the week before. EB Games has a pre-order ship date of November 3rd.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

According the users on the X3 forum that have the game, its extremely buggy and unstable. Lots of crashes and no joystick support (joystick support will be in a patch).

So much for this game.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Arrow Mk84 wrote:According the users on the X3 forum that have the game, its extremely buggy and unstable. Lots of crashes and no joystick support (joystick support will be in a patch).

So much for this game.
Well there is no way I will buy this game then.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

There's no joystick support in the fucking game?

WHAT?
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

weemadando wrote:There's no joystick support in the fucking game?

WHAT?
Yeah, I want to know how that got through QA. The 1.2 patch (which currently has no release date) is suppose to have it, but this is still sloppy and reflects poorly on the devs and publishers.
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

I have purchased my copy of X3 today. 1.2 patch was released today also, which i have downloaded. Joystick works, performance is fine, on max settings too. I'll let you know how I get on. Graphics are amazing. I've got a weird sound problem on entering some sectors, where all i get is screaming banshee like wails from my speakers. I'm trying to fix it just now.

The european version has some kind of copy protection. I've not had any problems with it so far.
Tragic
Padawan Learner

Post by Tragic »

From your short time of playing, would you say this game is worth buying?
"The point of war isn't to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" Gen. George Patton.
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

I've put about 4 hours into the game. I'm loving it! The combat is much improved, and they've added a touch of inertia, which coupled with the strafe drive allows circle strafing around the smaller, slower transports. Graphics are incredible, you've really got to see it moving.

The music is really something. The in-combat music is mediocre, but it's the out-of combat stuff that is truly great. Wonderful stuff.

Your free to do whatever you want. I'm probably going to ignore the plot for now, and build up a little trade empire. I'm going to start another seperate game, and go become the galaxy's most feared pirate :twisted:

Downsides, it takes a fairly meaty computer to run. My 3ghz 64 bit amd, 1 gig ram, N6600GT 256meg system runs it on max, though there is the occaisonal 0.5 sec stutter when it loads a few high detail stations.

Steeeeep learning curve. This game is deep, and is pretty merciless. You might spend a long time wondering around lost, until you get blasted by some pirates. If you've got the patience to get into it, I'd recommend it strongly.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Ok, I gotta ask: Do the main characters still look like crap? And do the aliens still look like cartoons? Can you post a couple of shots to your gallery?
Tragic
Padawan Learner

Post by Tragic »

Check his signature for his ingame screenshots.
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

It's late here, i'll try n post some tomorrow sometime.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Tragic wrote:Check his signature for his ingame screenshots.
I did, and I didn't see any character shots - which is why I asked him to post them in his gallery.
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

Ok, ive got some shots when communicating with other ships, and one from a cutscene news report. The new faces are much better, though there are a fair number that are just revamped from X2. They havn't redesigned the aliens, only difference is theres a bit more variety in their appearance.

All the ships and stations have been completly redesigned. They are a league apart from before. I wasn't very keen on most of the designs before, but there's been a big step forward in style from X2.

Oh, i should say there arent any of the horrendously bad in game engine cut scenes that X2 had. Those featured some of the worst animation and character design I have seen in any game, *period*. Apparently they have pre-rendered stuff now, I havn't seen any with people walking or anything yet. Just the news reporter with the giant head.