The Final War (alt-Draka story)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

LordShaithis wrote:Psst. Here's a copy of Stirling's ORIGINAL timeline before they forced him to make it more realistic.

1750 - Drakia founded.

1751 - Draka invent machine guns.

1753 - Draka conquer all of Africa.

1764 - Draka invent tanks.

1780 - Draka conquer Asia.

1802 - Draka invent jets.

1803 - Draka conquer Earth.

1812 - Drava invent the Death Star.

1813 - Draka invade mars, anally violate the martians, blow up planet.
You know what's sad? I couldn't tell it was a joke untill you got to the jets.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Anyway Jung, despite the anachronistic "World War Twoiness" that crops up from time to time, this is one of my favorite fics.

Last night I had a dream that the Draka had invaded my hometown, and were in my house, and I was trying to burn the house down to kill them. :shock:
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

CHAPTER 8

September 17 2003 began as an ordinary day in Port Elisabeth, on the southern coast of Drakia Province. It was a cool morning, with a good breeze blowing in from the sea and barely a cloud in the sky. Close to the beginning of spring in that part of the world. In the better neighborhoods ringing the periphery of the city Port Elisabeth’s Citizen population was beginning to go about their errands. In the slums of the city core serf drivers and supervisors rousted the serf population for another day of toil in the dockyards. Unlike the cities of the peripheral provinces Port Elisabeth was not a sprawling mass of hovels. The serf inhabited areas here resembled strongly the bigger cities of the Soviet Union; block after block of ugly brooding concrete buildings. Warehouses where the workforce was stored for the night. The drivers, usually either their marginally more fortunate brethren or supervisors brought in from the Dominate’s European conquests, roughly organized them into their usual lines and roughly shoved them onto waiting busses for transport to their places of work, usually either the docks or the factories that occupied the very center of the city. Along with Virconium, Venta Belgarum, Cape Town, and Shanapur Port Elisabeth handled much of the sea freight that went to feed the industrial centers of the Drakia, Archona, Cape Town, and Transvaal provinces. It would be just another day of toil in their lives of toil. Toil without end. Toil without reward. Toil without thanks. Day after day, month after month, year after year. And, if the Draka won their war, perhaps century after century and millennia after millennia.

Today, however, the routine would be interrupted.

Their first inkling that something was happening was a streak that went across the sky and disappeared over the eastern horizon. Draka and serf alike turned briefly to watch it and then went about their business, puzzled as to what it was. They didn’t know it of course but it was an American UGM-210 Scorpion land attack missile bearing a strategic heavy nuclear weapon for the city of Venta Belgarum. More streaks appeared, carrying similar gifts for Virconium, Shanapur, Johannesburg, Soweto, Salisbury, Durban, Antananarivo, and Diskarapur. At this point some began to realize the truth. A few serfs cheered, then realized that they were undoubtedly doomed as well.

One last streak appeared in the sky. It was their turn.

The bomb airbursted above the factories and industrial yards at the center of Port Elisabeth. Those beneath it could be considered fortunate. The world simply became bright and then their brains were vaporized before they could comprehend what was happening to them. The bomb simulated, just for an instant, a piece of the core of the sun snatched and brought into the Earth’s atmosphere. As the awesome heat of hydrogen fusion transferred itself into the surrounding atmosphere it produced an incredibly powerful blast wave of superheated air. It struck the ugly concrete apartment blocks of the serf quarter like a hot hammer, splintering them and reducing them to rubble. Those caught in its path had their flesh stripped from their skeletons. Their clean bones would litter the ground. Broken glass and debris were caught in it like flotsam in a tidal wave and by the time it had reached the better Citizen neighborhoods it had become a storm of sharp crystal. The inner periphery consisted mostly of the houses of lower middle-class Citizens. The atomic bomb had no sense of justice or selectivity, but by aiming it for the very center of the city its wielders had unwittingly reserved for them the greatest suffering. By this time the blast wave had cooled dramatically. It was just hot enough and weak enough to be-barely-survivable. Whether this was a good thing or not was debatable. Those caught in its path did not live so much as they were condemned to a long and painful death. The heat burned their skin and flash-melted the fat and connective tissue that held their flesh together. The blast wave carried with it the broken remains of a hundred thousand windows and a wave of sharp fragments crashed into them, embedding themselves in their wounded flesh like knives. Clothing and flesh seared together into a single horrific tapestry of mutilation, skin dropped from the limbs to hang down like tattered rags. Eyeballs melted from sockets and hair burned off, giving some men the eerie appearance of walking skeletons, their faces already transformed into skulls. Belt buckles, buttons, zippers, anything metal in their clothing was transformed into a searing branding iron. After the explosion these half-corpses would shamble about, moaning in the agony of their mutilation, some crying out for water to ease the hellish agony of their burns and parched throats. Most would drop dead in the next few hours. This could be considered a mercy. The remainder would largely die of septicemia, and a fortunate few would pull through only to spend the rest of their lives as a study in horror to all who looked upon them.

The blast wave continued, passing over the homes of higher middle-class and wealthy Citizens. It was still enough to cause third-degree burns, but by now it had lost most of its energy. Finally it faded somewhere over the suburbs. By the time it reached the ranches and plantations of the Draka elite in the interior it was no more than a warm wind. But the wind was not completely harmless either, for it brought with it traces of radioactive elements and deposited them upon the land. In such a way broad swathes of Drakia, Archona, Transvaal, and the Interior Provinces were rendered long term high cancer-risk zones.

This was an event that was being repeated over the entire length and breadth of the Dominate. Most of the Draka heartland was put to the nuclear torch. Kenia Province was burned to a radioactive wasteland by sustained bombardment from Scorpions and a task force of USN nuclear subs operating out of UK bases in the Chagos Islands. The Draka cities of central Africa; Elizabethville, Brazzaville, Khartoum, were all destroyed. The industrial centers of Spain and Portugal were rendered glowing slag. Mushroom clouds bloomed over France, Italy, Greece, and the rest of Dominate held Europe. Draka fleet bases in Indochina were targeted, as were the oil fields of the Middle East. Oil wells would continue to burn for weeks as the reeling Dominate struggled to extinguish them. By far the worst carnage was seen in India. Nuclear fire was offered to the teeming serf slums of the Dominate’s largest and most populous province, holding close to half of its entire population. The death toll in that one province would exceed that of the entire Great War. The US response was staggering. If the Draka had wounded America then Uncle Sam had just taken a ten pound sledgehammer to the Dominate’s ‘nads. Almost half their industrial capacity was at least temporarily put out of action in less than two hours.

In the shattered cities of the Dominate, on fields of rubble and the groaning wounded, a toxic black rain began to fall.
Last edited by Junghalli on 2005-10-29 10:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

darthdavid wrote:You know what's sad? I couldn't tell it was a joke untill you got to the jets.
I couldn't tell it was a joke until he got to the Death Star. :shock:
LordShaithis wrote:Anyway Jung, despite the anachronistic "World War Twoiness" that crops up from time to time, this is one of my favorite fics.
Last night I had a dream that the Draka had invaded my hometown, and were in my house, and I was trying to burn the house down to kill them.
Wow... eerie. How do you like the nuclear curbstomp I just had the US administer? I told you it was coming, the Draka are finally tasting the full awesome wrath of the USA.
NecronLord's comment about demonstrating our technical superiority over the Draka by codebreaking just gave me a really fiendish idea for a psychological warfare tactic the US could use. We deliberately spare Archona and Cape Town from nuclear anninhalation so we can take them out with a good ole' fashioned carrier raid using stealth aircraft, to demonstrate to the Draka that their airforce is too small and overstretched to defend their own coastlines. A deliberate humiliation like this is going to make their heads explode, and napalm is such a nasty painful weapon it just begs to be used on large numbers of Draka. :twisted:
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

What, no useable ABM tech in this timeline?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

consequences wrote:What, no useable ABM tech in this timeline?
Yeah, I asked that earlier. ABM only requires early 1960s technology to do.

Jung - the ICBMs don't deliver tactical weapons :P
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

phongn wrote:
consequences wrote:What, no useable ABM tech in this timeline?
Yeah, I asked that earlier. ABM only requires early 1960s technology to do.
From what I've heard the stuff we have now has a less than stellar interception rate, and given that the US arsenal peaked at 10,000 bombs in OTL even if only a fraction of what was sent actually got through it could still do the damage described.
Jung - the ICBMs don't deliver tactical weapons :P
Changed "tactical" to "strategic heavy". :P
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Junghalli wrote:Yeah, I asked that earlier. ABM only requires early 1960s technology to do.
From what I've heard the stuff we have now has a less than stellar interception rate, and given that the US arsenal peaked at 10,000 bombs in OTL even if only a fraction of what was sent actually got through it could still do the damage described.[/quote]
I don't mean to be a dick but I keep hammering that you need to reearch these details or you risk breaking suspension of disbelief in readers knowledgable about these things (see: combat during the invasion, nuclear war, etc.).

Nike Zeus had a nuclear warhead on it and we were planning on wallpapering the country with them. It was also acheiving kinetic kill in various tests and had a 'success' rate around 89% or so. While the first versions could only engage a handful of targets at a time due to its mechanically-scanned radar, later versions would be able to deal with massed attacks due to phased-array systems. For leakers we had planned to emplace Sprint ABMs - these missiles had an accelation of 100g! This would be in addition to the extensive US air-defense system already in place (and then dissolved in the 1960s thanks to MacNamara).

In this universe, I would have expected to have seen Drakan ICBM attempts splatter against the NORAD and then SAC deliver massed nuclear attacks against their homeland via manned bomber. The tactical air forces (such as they were) would be delivering nuclear attack against the invading Drakan navy, along with the USN.
Changed "tactical" to "strategic heavy". :P
Strategic weapons need not actually be that heavy (100-200kT is quite common). Big nukes are quite rare and generally tasked against hard targets (like Cheyenne Mountain).
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Phongn would you (or anyone else for that matter) be willing to collaborate with me on this fanfic? What I need is somebody who would be willing to look over the installments in PM and tell me if they need revision. Because to be honest I think I'm over my head on my own here. I don't resent being told when I fuck up but it is frustrating to only learn about it after I've already posted it. I think I may have to shelve this project for the forseeable future otherwise, which I personally think is a pity because I find it an interesting premise and this is something I've wanted to write for a while but I'd rather write no fanfic than a shitty fanfic. Ah well, there is some fluff from my own universe I've always felt was worth a fanfic devoted to it, I guess I could do that...

Anyway, I'm formally requesting somebody (more knowledgeable in modern warfare than me) to act as a consultant with me on this. Basically I need someone who can skim over a chapter I send them via PM and tell me if I messed up. Any volunteer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I promote myself as God of Military Hardware!
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Phong, not everyone can recite every block number for every HIBEX unit, knows the name of the senators who shut down Safeguard and can recite performance stats for the currrent advanced interceptor systems :)
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Chris OFarrell wrote:Phong, not everyone can recite every block number for every HIBEX unit, knows the name of the senators who shut down Safeguard and can recite performance stats for the currrent advanced interceptor systems :)
I can! :D Sorta.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

MKSheppard wrote:I promote myself as God of Military Hardware!
Is that a yes? :)
If so thanks very much. With you helping me out there certainly shouldn't be any more silly errors.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Yea.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

On MKSheppard's recommendation I have changed the missiles used on Dominate territories to UMG-210 Scorpions
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Junghalli wrote:We deliberately spare Archona and Cape Town from nuclear anninhalation so we can take them out with a good ole' fashioned carrier raid using stealth aircraft, to demonstrate to the Draka that their airforce is too small and overstretched to defend their own coastlines.
Psychological warfare is nice, but it's nothing to pull punches over. Psyching the Snakes out isn't as valuable as the total and immediate destruction of their two most important cities. This is a brutal death-struggle between superpowers.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

And I saw a pale horse, and the name of he who sat upon him was Death. And Hell followed with him
Now maybe the Draka will realise what they've gotten themselves into.. a pity by now it's far, far too late :twisted:
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

I'm surprised the Soviets wont take advantage of what has happened and blitz western Europe while the Draka are reeling from this attack.

Minor nitpick where was the fleet that invaded the West Coast launched from and if it was from Indochina how the Hell did they slip past the Philipines unmollested?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Minor nitpick where was the fleet that invaded the West Coast launched from and if it was from Indochina how the Hell did they slip past the Philipines unmollested?
Good point. Just looking at the world map the route that looks best to me would be a round about path around Malaysia, through the Indian Ocean, and then hugging Antarctica until they get around all those little US bases in Polynesia and turn north. Either that or somehow convince Putin to let them go between Taiwan and China or pass through Soviet Indonesia. It would also nicely fit in with the explanation of why the US didn't think they'd invade the mainland US, half of these are paths that look like they're going to Central America.
It would probably be getting harrassed by Seawolfs and the air force all the way over though anyway. Getting through the Pacific any route would be hell in this universe, where the US owns tons of those little bitty islands that it would probably turn into minor fleet bases and stationary aircraft carriers.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Spoiler warning. This is quick preliminary timeline for the war that I made up. May be subject to change (probably will be, I'm sure there's bound to be one or two things wrong with it somebody will spot). Out of courtesy to those who don't want to know what's going to happen I'm leaving this big blank space.

2003- Draka begin Operation Alexander. Draka force attacks Britain and Ireland. Major cities and military bases all over the UK and its territories are destroyed with Draka ICBMs. The United States sends 300,000 men to help Britain against the Draka, rapidly drive the Draka Legions back to a few small kessels near the English Channel.

June-September- The Draka begin preparations for Operation Xerxes. CIA detects this but underestimate Draka arrogance; believe they plan to strike at the Caribbean and Central America like the Japanese in WWII. US Army division are pulled away from mainland US and Canada to reinforce those parts of the country.

September 11 2003- Cities along the Eastern Seaboard and in the Baja/California border are destroyed by Draka ICBMs. Battle of the Atlantic. Strategos Myfwany Venders killed when the CVN Dominance is destroyed by a tactical nuke from an American B-70 Valkyrie bomber. The Final War begins.

September 12 2003- Draka begin landings along the Eastern Seaboard and in Los Angeles basin. Establish beachheads despite fierce resistance by US Army, entire Chiliarchies wiped out in some areas. Strategos Erica Lamley killed in failed attempt to seize New Haven. The US Army begins pulling brigades from Canada, Mexico to defend the “middle forty-eight” states.

September 17 2003- United States and Britain begin Operation Retribution. Nearly half the Dominate’s raw industrial capacity destroyed by mass strikes with American Scorpion missiles. Dozens of cities destroyed, tens of millions killed. Mesopotamian oil fields set ablaze, causing oil shortage in the Dominate.

“Night of Retribution”; USAF begins hitting targets deep in the Dominate using stealth aircraft, RAF attacks Dominate’s north European coast. Archona and Cape Town destroyed by aircraft-mounted tactical nuclear devices. Qattara and Aswan dams destroyed with tac nukes, leading to black-outs over most of North Africa, catastrophic floods along the Nile. Archon Grudermann barely survives-vows revenge.

September 21 2003- Battle of the Potomac. Draka army under the command of newly appointed Arch-Strategos Yolande Ingollfson meets and is defeated by US Army group under the command of General Mark Sheppard along the banks of the Potomac River. General Sheppard begins to push Draka armies back toward the coast.

October-November- USN submarines and CVNs begin Indian Ocean Massacre of Shipping. Shortages in Madagascar, Ceylon, the Comoros Islands, Andaman, Nicobar, and Canary Islands as USN strangle the flow of goods from the Dominate mainland. Famine in Maldives.

The USAF introduces the Eagle Mk II hypersonic air superiority fighter, now equipped with two anti-fighter railguns. In response Draka build the Icarus hypersonic fighter, more heavily armed than the Eagle Mk 1 and also armed with railguns. Hypersonic fighters become more common, begin to dominate air combat.

Charismatic California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger marshals National Guard units, successfully drives the Draka out of Los Angeles. General Mark Sheppard continues to drive the Draka Legions toward the sea. Arch-Strategos Yolande Ingollfson enacts severe scorched earth policy. American nationals are deported to serfdom in the Dominate when feasible, otherwise killed. Towns destroyed with tactical nukes when their garrisons fall to Sheppard’s advance. USAF continues to run bombing missions through Dominate territory, hampering efforts to rebuild after Operation Retribution. Dominate gradually recognizes Operation Alexander and Operation Xerxes as failures, begins preparation for Christmas Offensive of ‘03.

December- Draka launch Christmas Offensive of ’03. Draka marshal elements of the Indian Ocean, East African, and Southern Fleets along with the last remnants of the Dominate Pacific Fleet and attack US territories and possessions in the Pacific. Philippines, Marianas, Fiji, Tahiti, and Samoa conquered and occupied. Landings also made in Western Australia (British Empire). Manila, Honolulu, and Pearl Harbor destroyed by Draka nuclear attack.

Mig-42 aircraft from the Soviet Navy CVN Hua Mu-Lan sight Draka bombers destroying a convoy of refugees from occupied Guam, intercede. Battle results between Hua Mu-Lan and the Draka CVNs Conqueror and Ereshkigal. Hua Mu-Lan destroyed by tactical nuclear device, but Soviet Navy bombers sink Ereshkigal and Conqueror. Dominate of Draka declares war on the Soviet Union.

2004- Draka begin Operation Night’s Dawn: invasion of the Soviet Union. Draka Legions push into Georgia and southern satellite republics, seize Tbilisi. Fierce partisan resistance hinders their progress. Chinese eastern borderland overrun by Draka, Soviet Air Force decimated by more advanced DAF. Fierce fighting in Soviet Germany between German Red Army divisions and the fanatical Neo-Nazi Germanic Janissary Corps.

February- US Army successfully evicts Draka from US mainland except for a few remnant divisions hanging on in the region of the Chesapeake Bay and on Long Island. Full extent of Draka atrocities against US citizens in conquered areas come to light. British and US begin planning for Operation Freedom.

March 9 2004- D-Day. Operation Freedom begins. Combined US-British/Commonwealth forces under General Mark Sheppard land at Normandy beach on France, begin liberation of Dominate’s European territories. Draka pull troops from Soviet fronts to deal with the invasion, allows Red Army to begin advancing across Draka Germany and southeastern Europe. Allied divisions advance deep into France. Arch-Strategos Yolande Ingollfson, now in charge of the defense of Dominate’s European territories, orders scorched earth policy. Croplands put to the torch and towns and cities destroyed with tactical nukes as they fall to the Allied advance.

March 18- Paris falls, Allied troops greeted as saviors by the population. Strategos Mark Osborn refuses order to nuke the city, is executed by Ingollfson.

April 12- Allied army under Mark Sheppard meets Soviet German army under General Wessinger on the banks of the Rhine in Draka Holland. Red Army advances to northern border of Greece.

Allied forces liberate Italy, Sicily, and Corsica provinces, begin landings in Greece.

May-August- Allied advance halts near Constantinople (Istanbul). Soviets begin pushing into Bactria (Afghanistan) with the help of fundamentalist Islamic partisan guerilla forces supplied and advised by US SEAL teams. Chinese Red Army units begin advance into Indochina, Indonesian Red Army begins landings in Malaysia with support from British Australian units. Draka destroy Kuala Lumpur with a tactical nuclear device rather than allow it to fall into Soviet hands. Kabul falls to Soviet/Islamist force on May 17th, Kandahar on the 27th. Red Army begins push into Persia (Iran), Tehran falls on July 22nd. Indonesian Red Army meets Chinese Red Army near the ruins of Bangkok (destroyed in Operation Retribution) on August 2nd. US Army storms Cyprus.

Liberated populations from Draka France, Holland, Italy etc. begin agitating to be given a chance to help fight their former masters. French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese governments in exile meet in London to discuss formation of a pan-European alliance. Pan-European Coalition is established. Rebuilding efforts begin in devastated Europe, first Free Pan-European Brigades recruited, mostly from former Janissaries who rebelled against the Draka rather than fight for their oppressors.

September 4th 2004- Allied forces seize Constantinople, begin liberation of Anatolia (Turkey). Ankara destroyed by tactical nuke. Allied forces reach Adana and Samsun by the end of the month.

Draka introduce the Diana railcannon tank. The Diana is a Hoplite chassis with the turret removed and replaced by a railgun firing 100 mm cannon shells. It can only fire towards its front, but can 1 shot/kill any US or Soviet tank and is extremely effective at long range and against hardened weapons emplacements.

October 11 2004- US begins Operation Saladin. US Army under Mark Sheppard pushes from Anatolia and Cyprus into Syria, Jordan, and Palestine with overwhelming force. Spontaneous rebellions by Islamist resistance groups hamper Draka efforts to repel the invasion. Baghdad seized by the 23rd. Arch-Strategos Yolande Ingollfson dies in Battle of Mecca on November 14th. After US victory jubilant liberated population storms the pagan temple the Draka constructed on the site of the Shrine of the Kabba when they conquered the Middle East during the Great War, smash the idols that have desecrated the sacred shrine as Muhammad did after his conquest of Mecca.

President George W Bush wins re-election over Democratic challenger Howard Dean.

The US Army introduces the Patriot railcannon tank. The Patriot has the railcannons attached to the sides of the tank, with the treads tucked inside the tank’s body. While this introduces some stability problems it allows a normal turret to be mounted, eliminating the Diana’s restricted field of fire.

December- The lull. Allies pause to consolidate their gains, Draka to lick their wounds. Soviets complete conquest of Persia. US Army clears out last spots of Draka resistance in Yemen and Oman, nukes Doha (Ad Dawah) to deal with particularly troublesome Draka remnant there. Rebuilding efforts in Europe continue. Dominate has now lost the bulk of its oil producing regions.

The Soviet Union introduces the Ratte railcannon tank. In typical Soviet fashion they solve the problem of field of fire by simply making the tank big enough for the railcannon to fit inside the turret.

2005- Tibet overrun by Red Army.

May-Red Army divisions march across Burma, begin pincer maneuver to cut Kashmir off from India. Strategos Setzer marshals the last of his “trusted stock” Janissaries and Citizen Legions to repel the assault. Effort is successful, Red Army driven out of Kashmir and some lost ground is actually retaken in Burma, but Citizen and Janissary Legions decimated, Draka no longer have enough men to control the one billion strong serf population of India. When rebellions begin to break out Setzer declares himself “General Secretary of the Indian Empire” and begins reforms; giving serfs basic rights and opening up the officer corps of the Janissary legions to native Indians and South Asians. Draka officers outraged and clashes break out between more pragmatic Setzerist Citizen Divisions and Janissary Legions and Loyalists. Setzer becomes extremely popular with general population; Loyalists are grossly outnumbered and quickly defeated although the diversion allows the Red Army to seize Thimbu.

Dominate Navy begins construction of the DNS Destiny, the world’s largest CVN, in the Dominate shipyards at Zanzibar. USAF commissions the B-75 hypersonic superfortress bomber as a successor to the Valkyrie.

July- USN meets, defeats Dominate Navy in the Battle of Line Islands. US Marines and Army begin landings on Tahiti, Samoa, and minor US possessions occupied by the Draka.

August-September- Philippines retaken by the United States. Draka garrison resists fanatically. The increasingly desperate Draka release biowarfare agents over prominent US cities, most notably the lethal and difficult to detect HIV-8 virus. FEMA effectively contains most resulting outbreaks but widespread civilian deaths occur despite the US government’s best efforts. Outrage in the general US population.

November- Allies begin Thanksgiving Offensive of ’05. US and Pan-European (now only 45% British) armies begin landings in Tripoli and Cyrenaeca (Libya), Morocco, Tunisia, Algieria, and Egypt. Cairo liberated.

December- US/Pan-European forces begin moving down the Nile, advance into Nubia, Kush, and Sudan. Liberation of Egypt completed. Pan-European and US forces push into Fezzan (southwest Libya).

2006- US Marines seize Socotra and the Canary Islands. General Secretary Setzer marries former Strategos Stella Arnez, now a General in the Indian Imperial Legions.

February- US/Pan-European forces advance into Darfur and Abyssinia (Ethiopia).

March- US/Pan-European forces reach Somalia, liberate Mogadishu.

April- US Marines seize the Maldive and Laccadive Islands. Soviet Union begins advance into the Andamans. US Army reaches Victoria (Uganda) and Kenia (Kenya).

June- USN clashes with the last remnants of the Draka Navy in the Battle of the Comoros Islands. The Destiny is sunk by a tactical nuclear device launched from a US B-75. US Marines begin “island hopping” across the Comoros, landings made in Madagascar.

July- US Marines seize Zanzibar. Realizing that they are doomed the Draka begin fighting more fanatically than ever.

October- US completes liberation of Madagascar. Draka remnants in the Comoros continue to fight on, requiring the application of several nuclear bombs. USSR renews offensive into Kashmir, Red Army met and defeated by Indian Imperial Legions under the command of General Stella Arnez.

December- Believing the US and its Pan-European allies intend to seize all of Africa for themselves the Soviet Union begins dropping Airborne divisions in coastal Senegal and Mauritania. High casualties are suffered among Red Army divisions but beachhead is successfully established. Red Army Airborne divisions meet up with US/Pan-European Army at Villa Cisneros (Nouadhibou) on Christmas Day.

2007- US Army seizes Tanzania and begins advancing into Mozambique. The Draka heartland is now directly threatened.

Light self-propelled armor (commonly called power armor) becomes common equipment for US/Pan-European armies and Draka Citizen Legions.

May- The Red Army begins moving across Burma, General Secretary Setzer forced to move his capital from Mandalay, which is destroyed by Soviet nuclear device. Indian Imperial Legions (officer corps is now less than 25% Draka Setzerist) halts Soviet advance at former site of Chittagong (city was destroyed in Operation Retribution).

July- US Army reaches Northmark (Zimbabwe). Draka resist to the last man as their enemies begin penetrating the very heart of the Dominate, resistance such as US Army had not encountered since the invasion of Kyushu during the Eurasian War. Over 300,000 GIs die in the crossing of Northmark.

November- US Army reaches Botswana, begins advance down the Okavango River. Reaches Luanda on the 18th. The Dominate is now severed into three regions: Drakia proper, the Indian Empire under Setzer, and a rump state occupying Central Africa and the Sahel which rapidly begins to crumble from internal revolt.

Central and West Africa rapidly crumbles into petty fiefdoms of local rebel leaders, with the Draka population holding out in a few fortified enclaves, having lost any remote semblance of control over the countryside. USSR begins sending in troops via its beachhead in Senegal to “restore order” and eliminate the last Draka strongholds. Many pundits in the US and Pan-European Coalition believe they are taking advantage of the situation and plan to divide West and Central Africa into satellite republics, but with the USSR a crucial ally they can only “volunteer” a few brigades of their own to “render assistance”.

2008- Second lull. The Dominate is now effectively destroyed as a world power. But the Allies have much the same problem as they did with Japan in WWII-the remnant state can be expected to fight horrifically before it goes down. Setzer has likewise turned his new “Indian Empire” into an unexpectedly hard nut to crack, fielding huge numbers of underequipped but well trained and motivated native Indians. President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair begin negotiating a cease fire with the Indian Empire. US and Russia consolidate their control of Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia.

May- General Secretary Setzer surrenders to the Pan-European Coalition, on the condition that none of his men will be brought before war crimes tribunals, Stella Arnez will become the new administrator of India until free elections can be held, and he will not send soldiers to fight his former countrymen.

June- The Allies begin advancing into Archona Province. Archona Province alone requires a month to subdue and costs 250,000 American, Pan-European, and Soviet lives.

July- Allies conquer Interior Provinces and the Transvaal, at the cost of another 250,000 men.

August- Allies conquer northern Drakia and the Atlantic coast, begin marching into Cape Town Province, another 250,000 dead.

September- Allies conquer Cape Town. Last Draka holdouts in George and Beaufort West come under siege. Allies suffer another 150,000 casualties.

October 3rd 2008- The last Draka hold-out in Beaufort West surrenders. Archon Grudermann, a broken man, commits suicide rather than face the humiliation of formally presenting his surrender to US Secretary of State Colin Powell. Half the defenders of Beaufort West kill themselves. In the end Colin Powell is left to formally accept the surrender of a Centurion Jameson, him being the highest-ranking remaining member of the once mighty Draka Citizen Legions.

November- Former CIA Director Jack Ryan becomes President-Elect of the United States, with Fredrick Lafarge his Vice President.

December- Bush, Putin, Ryan, and Blair convene in Geneva to discuss the future of the territories taken from the Dominate. The European states liberated during the war are formally amalgamated into the Pan-European Coalition, along with India. Germany and Southeast Asia goes to the Soviet Union, as does Central and West Africa. East and North Africa, Arabia, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Northmark, and Anatolia become a US administered zone (and eventually US states). Drakia proper is given to the Soviet Union.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

A few things:

1. I like how India turned out, but wouldn't it go back to the Commonwealth or turn to Australia instead of the pan-europeans?

2. Why is Germany given to the Soviets? It makes no sense given other lesser countries are freed.

3. Drakia proper should be administered by everyone, and rebuilt as a new and independent nation.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:1. I like how India turned out, but wouldn't it go back to the Commonwealth or turn to Australia instead of the pan-europeans?
The Pan-European Coalition is the British Commonwealth+the West European states liberated from the Draka.
2. Why is Germany given to the Soviets? It makes no sense given other lesser countries are freed.
Because for one thing the bulk of it was already Soviet before the war, and also it was taken by the Red Army, while the others were mostly liberated by the British/Americans. Spoils of war and all that.
3. Drakia proper should be administered by everyone, and rebuilt as a new and independent nation.
I don't know, the population is so indoctrinated I sort of suspect if you really wanted to reform it you'd basically have to kill all the adults, or you'd need something like an effector/nerve stapler/telepath mindfucking which the Allies obviously don't have.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

P.S. Do I get my proxy character?
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

I just took the occupation of Drakia proper by the USSR as sort of an extra kick in the teeth for the Draka.

"The villain died. And then he went to Hell."

Is kinda the same as...

"The Draka lost the war. And then they were occupied by the Red Army."
admiral_danielsben
Padawan Learner

Post by admiral_danielsben »

LordShaithis wrote:I just took the occupation of Drakia proper by the USSR as sort of an extra kick in the teeth for the Draka.

"The villain died. And then he went to Hell."

Is kinda the same as...

"The Draka lost the war. And then they were occupied by the Red Army."
Indeed a most proper retribution. Most probably the Soviets won't be all that much more merciful then the Draka themselves were to Bactria :twisted:..
-DanielSBen
----------------
"Certain death, small chance of sucess, what are we waiting for?" Gimli, son of Gloin
----------------
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)
---------------
"If your lies are going to be this transparent, this is going to be a very short interrogation" -- Kira

"Then I'll try to make my lies more opaque..." -- Gul Darhe'el (DS9: Duet)