Rotating spaceship idea

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Rotating spaceship idea

Post by Alan Bolte »

Wasn't real sure whether to put this here, in SLAM, or OSF. Nothing here is to scale or proportional, it's just a sketch. I started to put in some detail, but realized it wasn't really important before I got very far. Made with Truespace 3.2 and the GIMP.
Half-assed cross-sectional thingy:
It's occasionally discussed in SLAM and OSF that rotating sections aren't a great idea, especially for a warship. So, I've been thinking, what sort of shape would allow for rotation of the entire craft? This is the result. The command module (top) is always attached to the service module (center), though it can detach in case of emergency, or perhaps for maintenence. On the other hand, the payload module (bottom) is designed to be easily exchanged for another module, much like modern freight containers. Their trapezoidal shape means that additional payload modules can be added to the ship until they form a cylinder around the service module, with doors between each. Obviously, this would slow the ship down tremendously. Particularly bulky equipment would require either a nonstandard payload module or external attachment.

Comments? Any other ideas as to what is important to a rotating design?
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

How big is it? What sort of weapons is it going to fire? What's it's role?
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

That ship is going to be really vunerable much like the EA Omega. Shoot at the two beems between the hab sections for a kil. It also would be a bicth to manuver.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

I wasn't necessarily thinking in terms of warship, actually, though I'd certainly like to consider whether this or another design is appropriate for duty as a warship. And the concern about the connecting beams is quite easily solved with a few additional structural beams between the sections, though of course that increases both the mass and the rotational inertia. At least this ship won't tear itself apart.

Good point about maneuvering, I have been wondering what kind of thruster placement and design would work well for this kind of ship. I assume that with computer-aided navigation and the appropriate setup, possibly including aimable thrusters, turns shouldn't be as much of a problem as one might think.

What sort of scales is this design appropriate for, if any? When I first thought of the design I was thinking in terms of just one to three decks in the command module.

Were I to equip this ship with weapons, I'd mount a heavy laser on the forward face of the service module. Defensive turrets, whether lasers or autocannon, might be placed on the service module near its center. Payload modules would be ideal missile launchers.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

A rotating setion isn't nesserily bad it all depends on how it is mounted on the ship. Look at the Discovery from 2001 A Space Odessey.

It has a rotating section but its on the interrior of the ship.

I have one faction who uses rotating sections in a story I am writing and science vessel that does it as well. For the science vessel its intended as a power saving feature so on long cruises the habitation area does not need as much power hence saving fuel. They can shut down the gravity in the labs ect(except where they have critical stuff stored) and other nonessensial areas of then ship as it travels between stars.

For a warship its just one more thing that can fail and is usually to easy of a target.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
The Jazz Intern
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jazz Intern »

it looks neat. however, I must agree that it would be hard to manuver.
WWDD What would dogbert do?