Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Endor, Andar... It's all the same thing...
<_<
>_>

OK... Stravo, again we may bath in your awesomeness. This chapter, wow, brought out a lot more then I expected. Specifically the first update since SW-III came out. Interesting to see how the last movie affected your chapter, and no doubt, the rest of the chapters to come. Point blank capital ship fighting indeed. Also we get to begin going back to a LOT of loose ends that had been hanging around.. First and foremost the introspective with Vader.

That was freaking awesome. You could already see the struggle inside as he kept having to remind himself to call Luke 'Nemesis'. More then that we see just what drives Vader. I mean, in the movies, he's just some dark moody badass. Here we can get a look of the whole Galaxy bowing down and paying him homage, not just in submission at being conquered, but Respect for his Order. Yea, you can bte Vader would get a nice Ego stroking out of that,

Oh yes, and finally, FINALLY We get two things. One, Kahn put in his place, and two, Vader using "The grip" and the best of all, they get used together. Yea Stravo, I was way giddy when Thrawn told Vader to put "The Grip™" on Kahn, that rocked.

And now, as if the plot wasn't already thick as is, we get to go back to the poor Starfleet captain turned Buddist/philosopher and his new "Roomate" Corellian ass indeed...

Stravo, you indeedily rock.

P.S. Still owe me the Excalibur laying the smack down on some Imperial ships, but I trust you to get the scene right ;)
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

observer_20000 wrote:That chapter was awesome. I was literally giggling out of giddiness during the Sith pwnage parts.

Also, cool to see Han Solo making an appearance. I was hoping he would show up in this fic. :D
Technically, Han was in chapter 84.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

For some clarification of what I said earlier. When I said less Episode III referances I didn't mean for Vader, that was great stuff. What I meant was the references to the Battle of Coruscant and in general the Clone War. From what I've seen, even the ships were commanded by the clones at that point in time, or at the very least we don't see anyone BUT clones or Jedi on these ships. So I doubt that a lot of those commanders would be able to recall being involved in that battle.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Captain Cyran wrote:For some clarification of what I said earlier. When I said less Episode III referances I didn't mean for Vader, that was great stuff. What I meant was the references to the Battle of Coruscant and in general the Clone War. From what I've seen, even the ships were commanded by the clones at that point in time, or at the very least we don't see anyone BUT clones or Jedi on these ships. So I doubt that a lot of those commanders would be able to recall being involved in that battle.
Just to make a point on your observation, the ROTS novelization has a Lieutenant Needa commanding a frigate at the Battle of Coruscant. The same Needa that apologizes to Lord Vader in ESB. I don't think its a strecth to imagine that the fleet under the Command of Thrawn would include some vets of the Clone Wars.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Stravo wrote:
Captain Cyran wrote:For some clarification of what I said earlier. When I said less Episode III referances I didn't mean for Vader, that was great stuff. What I meant was the references to the Battle of Coruscant and in general the Clone War. From what I've seen, even the ships were commanded by the clones at that point in time, or at the very least we don't see anyone BUT clones or Jedi on these ships. So I doubt that a lot of those commanders would be able to recall being involved in that battle.
Just to make a point on your observation, the ROTS novelization has a Lieutenant Needa commanding a frigate at the Battle of Coruscant. The same Needa that apologizes to Lord Vader in ESB. I don't think its a strecth to imagine that the fleet under the Command of Thrawn would include some vets of the Clone Wars.
Ah, all I'd had to go on was the movie. Never read the book. So yeah I guess there could be a few vets among them.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

I finally got to here... after several weeks, I'm here.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :shock: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I... LOVE... IT!

In my own writing experience, I've found that the hardest part is to properly intercut between different storylines. And yet you manage to do it seamlessly, so you always wonder what is happenning to the other characters.

The classic lines spoken by other characters are great...

How many different fiction universes did you insert references to, besides SW and ST? LOTR, Dune, Matrix...

And did you pick Andor because it sounds like Endor, or for some other reason?

Can't wait for the battle... will we be seeing any ground action?
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Careful my friend; many will have thought your post to be an update... 8)
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

BASTARD!!!!

And yes, I knew there was no new post, just felt like doing that.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

General_Soontir_Fel wrote: * snip*

.....You son of a Bitch.

*borrows the Mallet of Doom (Mk III) from Phong*

You have made me think this fic has been updated. And now, you will pay the price.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Chris OFarrell wrote: .....You son of a Bitch.

*borrows the Mallet of Doom (Mk III) from Phong*

You have made me think this fic has been updated. And now, you will pay the price.
Just hold on a few more minutes. My pack-o-popcorn is still in the microwave.

There, they're done. Proceed with excessive prejudice.

Edit: And be careful with that thing. Remember last time you swiped stuff from the Great Old Ones? Does the name Lt.HIT-MAN ring a bell?
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

<goes into a corner and cries for a while at the lack of a new post>
SpecWar826
Youngling

Post by SpecWar826 »

Trytostaydead wrote:<goes into a corner and cries for a while at the lack of a new post>

There There no need to worry

:Throws a vat of boiling lead onto General_Soontir_Fel:
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Please enjoy the first in a series of chapters describing the Battle of Andor. Unfortunately no promises on when any new chapters will be posted as this one was written over the last few weeks.

Chapter 89: Battle of Andor Part 1

Phase 1: If I die before I wake

Luke Skywalker smiled softly as he ran his hand along the fuselage of his fighter. The feel of the hull was like a touchstone for his memories. As he moved quietly along the elongated main body of the snub fighter and smelled the sharp tang of the fuel lines as they were unfurled like tentacles throughout the massive hangar bay of the Imperator’s Will he remembered Yavin when he first flew her.

“You sure you can handle that thing?” Red Leader’s thick drawl drifted through his memories as he completed his walk along the starboard side of the heavily modified X-Wing fighter.

“Are you kidding sir? Luke is the best bush pilot on the Rim!” Biggs laughed and clapped his oldest friend on the shoulder. Luke smiled sheepishly at the older man who regarded him with an experienced eye.

Luke remembered the electric excitement traveling up his spine as he approached his fighter, the only reward he requested when he saved Leia from Imperial hands. Leia tried to talk him out of it but he would have it no other way. This was his destiny. He felt it as surely as if he had already lived it.

“You and me. We’ve got a lot of work to do.” Luke whispered as he crouched down to check the underbelly.

“If I had not seen it with my own eyes I wouldn’t believe what Branna told me.” Kittaine interrupted as he watched the young man inspect his fighter as if he were just another pilot preparing for combat and not the most powerful man in the quadrant.

Luke smiled and looked back up at the Grand Admiral.

“She was a gift from Lord Vader upon my ascension to Sith Lord.” Luke explained as he watched the older man admiring the fighter. “Refitted from the ground up she’s faster, more powerful and more durable than any production X-Wing has any right to be. Hyperdrive refitted as well giving her a range nearly double that of any fighter mounted hyperdrive. I can take her from here to the Gamma Quadrant and back without stopping for a refuel or checkup.” Luke walked back around running a hand along the aggressive nose cone of his fighter. The normal white hull of the Rebellion vintage X-Wing was replaced by a cold almost iridescent onyx hull plates that shimmered softly and seemed to absorb the harsh overhead lamp glare.

“Her hull plating has been replaced by an experimental stealth material that dampens standard sensor array reducing return cross signatures and making her virtually undetectable by mark 1 eyeballs unless I’m close enough to kill you.” Pride tinged Luke’s voice as he looked back over his fighter. It had been a long time since he had looked her over this closely. Nemesis had never come down here once. Perhaps the Sith Lord had been afraid of the memories that would be dredged up.

“Most impressive my lord but one wonders why Lord Vader would not have an Imperial Fighter custom built for you. A rebel fighter, an iconic one at that seems a rather an odd choice for the Sith lord especially considering the question of conflicted loyalties many people muttered about you in those early days.”

“This fighter is very dear to me. She’s the same fighter I flew into battle at Yavin. The fighter that Lord Vader and I first did battle in together.”

Kittaine’s eyes narrowed on Luke and then looked up at the fighter with respect.

“The shot heard round the galaxy.” He whispered.

“I would have thought an Imperial commander wouldn’t be as impressed by that fact as you obviously are.” Luke noted standing back up and walking down the port side of the fighter.

“The Deathstar was an abomination of cronyism and wasted resources. I recognized it for what it was. The Emperor’s attempt to hold on to power and circumvent is military.” Kittaine replied with distaste.

“How so?” Luke asked curiously. He had fought against it and destroyed it but he had never really considered its place in his world or the galaxy. Back in those heady days all he understood was that it was a threat to his friends and his new found cause and it needed to be destroyed.

“The Deathstar was a concentration of the Emperor’s greatest sycophants and yes men. The military units stationed there were allegedly the elite of our forces but I noticed that they were also the most fanatically loyal to the New Order.”

“So the Emperor was creating some sort of…bastion for his supporters and puppets.” Luke mused as his hand checked the grooves between the armor plating.

“In essence.” Kittaine shrugged. “It smelled of a political tool rather than a military one. Even Tarkin’s policy of Rule through Fear was more like a political ideology than it was a military one. Why were we striking fear and terror into the very people we were supposed to be protecting?”

Luke nodded as his hand paused at the torpedo groove, he touched the edges, the black carbon scoring of the first and last time he launched his torpedoes in combat remained at his insistence. They were a constant reminder of what he earned in this craft.

“You do realize of course Grand Admiral that you are an exception to the rule as far as I’m concerned. Many in the military do not view it as protecting innocents. It has become a place for advancement, wealth and power.”

Kittaine chuckled softly. Luke looked over at him curiously.

“Forgive me, Lord Skywalker, but I forget how young you are sometimes.”

“Oh?” Luke replied with a bemused tone and raised an eyebrow.

“You have delusions of the military and the Old Republic instilled in you by your time with the rebellion. Their propaganda was starry eyed and naive. Painfully naive in my opinion. The military has always been a vehicle for advancement, power and wealth. The Empire simply makes it more obvious. You forget that I was an officer in the Old Republic that you worshipped so fervently as a young rebel. Have you ever truly examined the history texts concerning the Republic? It was as corrupt as the Empire in many ways Lord Skywalker. You need to remember that.”

“I sense you’re trying to tell me something more Grand Admiral.” Luke observed.

“Is that your Force powers telling you this?”

“No, I just know you well enough. You like to be a father to all of us I think.”

Kittaine smiled self consciously.

“This fleet has benefited greatly from your guidance and will, Gideon.” Kittaine was surprised by the use of his first name. “We are lucky to have you here and now Grand Admiral. And we will need your leadership now in this battle.”

Kittaine nodded slowly and eyed the young man for a moment.

“If I may my lord, allow me to make one observation in comparison to Lord Nemesis and then I will never bring it up again.”

Luke nodded curiously.

“He would never fly this fighter into combat. He preferred to lead from his place on the bridge. He would consider your actions to be needlessly foolish and place the Imperium at risk because we may lose you out there.”

“Your faith in my piloting skills is duly noted.” Luke replied with a rueful smile.

“You misunderstand me Lord Skywalker. On the bridge of the Imperator’s Will you will be unassailable. I can protect you there. Out there in this fighter.” He indicated the X-Wing with a nod of his head. “You will be all alone.”

“I am never alone, Gideon. I have the Force.” Luke assured him.

“I’d much prefer that in addition to the Force you had a few hundred turbolaser batteries and our shields to protect you.” Kittaine added.

Luke walked over to Kittaine and placed a hand on the older man’s shoulder.

“I understand what you want to do Grand Admiral but like any good father you must let go. I will be fine. This is where I belong. I am not Nemesis. He wanted to stand on the bridge and command from on high. In my heart, I am a bush pilot from the Rim who feels more comfortable in his cockpit than he does anywhere else.” Luke walked back to the X-Wing and slapped the nosecone.

“Here I can control my destiny. I do not watch or command, here I take charge and I would not have it any other way.”

“As you wish. But I don’t like it.”

“You don’t have to. What you must do is find a way to defeat Grand Admiral Thrawn.”

Kittaine sighed softly.

“You realize the man is a tactical and strategic genius not seen since the Jedi Masters during the Clone wars.”

Luke nodded.

“Indeed. And lucky for you that I’m as close to a Jedi Master as you’re going to get.”

“So you have some idea?” Kittaine pressed.

“It’s really rather simple. We must expose the Executor to the superlaser.”

“Thrawn will do all in his power to make sure that does not happen. He knows as well as I do that we have a one shot one kill weapons platform but our recharge time is atrocious and we are barely able to accurately target even a ship of his size with any certainty. We will need to be at nearly point blank range to be assured of a clean hit.”

“He will use his fleet as a shield.”

“Absolutely.” Kittaine nodded.

Luke sighed softly.

“The plan stands. We will peel them away one by one if we have to and then we’ll risk it all in that one strike. We kill Thrawn and we end this little civil war in one battle.”

“If we lose the Imperator’s Will or you we’ve lost our war as well. I have no illusions that Thrawn will be spending his time in this battle hiding from me. He will be hunting me as well. We are too great a threat and too vital a target to simply let go.”

“And that is what I’m hoping for. I will weaken him and divide his attention and you will be the patient hunter waiting for your opening.”

Kittaine’s eyes narrowed tightly on the young man.

“Wait a moment…”

“Trust in me and we will come through this with victory.” Luke assured him. A Jem’Hedar proudly strode up to Luke accompanying a trio of flight crewmen.

“We have come with the torpedoes you requested Lord Skywalker.” The Jem’Hedar reported tersely but Kittaine could detect a hint of awe in its voice. It had become rapidly clear to many among the command staff that Lord Skywalker’s new personal guard were not just fanatically loyal to him but many considered him some sort of god. It jibed with prior reports about the Jem’Hedar that they had been conditioned by the Founders of the Dominion to view them as gods. It was troubling to Kittaine to see this kind of fanaticism from the young man’s guard. It smacked too much of Palpatine for him to simply accept.

“Very good. Make sure they are loaded up and ready. Preflight is in 15 minutes and I don’t want to spend a second more than I have to.”

“It shall be done.” The Jem’Hedar vowed and nodded to the flight crew who promptly began loading the torpedoes into the X-Wings’ magazines that obediently descended from within the elongated hull.

“Special torpedoes? Lord Skywalker I am beginning to see your strategy and it is most alarming.”

“The X-Wing has been retrofitted to carry the newest proton torpedoes meant for our missile boats back home.” Luke explained pointedly ignoring the latter part of Kittaine’s comment. “They’re specially designed to penetrate capital ship armor and shields so I’ll be more of a threat than a simple TIE fighter.”

“Even so a single payload wouldn’t do more than show up as a blip on a stardestroyer’s shield grid. You’d need at least a squadron’s worth of these to make a dent in the grid even for a moment.” Kittaine explained quickly hating himself for playing into Skywalker’s attempt to deflect his point.

“Leave that to me.” Luke replied with a soft smile. He slipped on his life-support pack that another Jem’Hedar handed to him as yet another checked Luke’s flight suit for him. One more of his personal guard, Kittaine recognized him as the leader of the Jem’Hedar on board led a series of astromech droids to Luke’s X-Wing. The sounds of fighters powering up began like a storm in the cavernous flight deck.

“Lord Skywalker, these are the finest astromech droids in the fleet. I have personally inspected them for any sabotage devices and watched as Vulcans examined every string of code for any discrepancies.”

“Very good, Rulek Parr. You’re people have done well.”

“We serve the Walker of the Skies.” Rulek Parr bowed his head deeply.

“About your plan Lord Skywalker?”

“Never mind that Grand Admiral, everything is proceeding as it must and it sounds as if our fighter corps is also getting ready.” Luke replied speaking louder and louder with each word as Twin Ion Engines roared to life around them. Hangar crews raced for their final positions as fighters eagerly began to descend from their racks into standby positions in the enormous hangar bay of the Imperator’s Will. All around them pilots gave enthusiastic thumbs up from their rounded cockpits and turned their attention to their controls.

The cacophony of fighter squadrons coming to life washed over Kittaine like waves from a deep loud ocean. Kittaine leaned in close to Luke and shouted into the young warrior’s ear.

“I know what you’re going to do. You’re going to draw Vader out. Distract Thrawn with your presence on the battlefield.”

Luke looked into the older man’s eyes for a long moment. The only sound between them was the harsh roar of the ion engines gunning for takeoff and the rumble of racks rolling overhead and blow them carrying entire squadrons of fighters and bombers into position for launch. The occasional shout of a hangar bay technician punctuated the frenetic activity of the preparations.

“It’s the only way, Grand Admiral.” He replied softly.

“You’ll die out there.” Kittaine pressed, hand squeezing the young man’s shoulder as if willing Luke to step away from his fighter.

“They said the same thing to me at Yavin, Grand Admiral. I’ve learned that when it comes to fate nothing is ever certain.” Luke answered and gently pulled away from Kittaine and slipped his helmet on as he inspected the lineup of Astromech droids. He found himself wishing for Artoo at this moment.

“That one.” He replied without thinking. His hand touched the cylindrical head of a gold paneled astromech droid. It beeped obediently.

“Are you sure about that sir? He’s a little beat up. We could get you a brand new one, my lord.” A hangar tech replied as he eyed the older astromech droid with a critical gaze. Luke smiled in spite of himself.

“I’m quite sure. What is its designation?”

“R-3 D-4.”

“Very well, D4. Get plugged in and prepare the fighter for battle.”

The astromech droid whistled acknowledgement and trundled over to the X-Wing the technicians quickly fitting him into his harness and lifting up into the X-Wing’s droid slot. Luke took one last quick look over his fighter and felt Kittaine still hovering behind him.

Luke paused and turned to face the Grand Admiral.

“Grand Admiral Kittaine.”

“My Lord.” Kittaine straightened as he noted the young man’s suddenly serious tone.

“I leave the fleet in your hands. I will lead our fighter wings into battle. Have you made sure all new IFF signatures have been downloaded into the fighters?”

“Yes sir, just as your ordered. We are also standing by to switch IFF signature data on your command when we ascertain the Federation’s intent.”

“Very well. There is nothing more I can say. We must do our best but I’ve always expected that of this fleet. Do your duty, defend the Imperium and together we will stand on a brave new world that we created with our own hands. That is a dream I have, Kittaine. I want to share it with everyone. Let us make that dream come true today.”

“And your wife? Is she not part of this new dream?”

Luke stopped short but his smile was brilliant and warm as he turned to face Mara. She stood in the center of a squadron of stormtroopers and Jem’Hedar. The look of barely concealed annoyance as she brushed past her guards made Luke chuckle softly.

“My personal guard takes the protection of my dark lady quite seriously it seems.”

“Don’t give me that.” Mara snapped as she approached him and stood a meter away, arms crossed. “Don’t even think of telling me this walking cadet review is not your idea.”

“Forgive me Lady Skywalker but it was mine.” Rulek Parr interjected reverently and bowed his head.

“You?” Mara replied hotly.

“Indeed. You carry the Walker of the Skies’ seed. You will give birth to a new god. There can be no threat to you during this time. My people are ready to lay their lives down for you.”

“I don’t need protection.” Mara protested bitterly.

“But I feel better knowing that you are.” Luke said softly as he stepped to her and took her hands in his.

Mara eyed the young man with a hooded expression.

“I never liked you.” She concluded.

“I know.” He smiled.

“I thought you were too young for me. You were arrogant and vain. You thought the galaxy owed you for whatever the hell it was you think you had coming to you.”

“I know.” He replied softly leaning in closer to her. She made his heart race and his head spin. The heat that jumped between them was nearly palpable.

“I thought that I would have to kill you.”

“I know.” He whispered lips inches from hers.

Mara grabbed the back of Luke’s head and pulled his face back several inches locking her eyes with him.

“You come back to me you son of a bitch…to us.” She added very hesitantly.

Luke kissed her. Hard. He wrapped her up in his arms and she closed hers around him tightly and their embrace was one of desperate love. A love found in hardship long denied and finally able to express itself.

Kittaine looked down at his shoes uncomfortably but the Jem’Hedar and stormtroopers were as impassive as ever.

Their lips parted and Luke gently ran a hand along her cheek and his other touched her stomach.

“I will be back. I promise.”

Luke slipped down his visor and turned to his fighter. He strode over to it and quickly slipped a foot on the small ladder that led up to the cockpit. His astromech droid beeped excitedly as the converters switched on and the entire X-Wing began to thrum aggressively.

“Lord Skywalker!” Kittaine called over the quickly increasing roar of the X-Wing’s engines.

Luke looked over at the Grand Admiral, one hand balancing himself on the lip of the cockpit as he stood on the small ladder.

“My lord I think I speak for all when I say – May the Force be with you.”

Luke smiled. A genuine warm smile and he nodded.

“May the Force be with us all today.” He replied and catlike leapt into his cockpit and quickly began flicking controls.

Kittaine nodded to the flight crew as they finished the rest of the preflight checks on the X-Wing, pulling away fuel lines, checking to make sure all panels were closed and all systems were green. The tall imposing Jem’Hedar leader found himself standing beside the Grand Admiral.

Mara stood off to the side one hand over her mouth as if trying to hold on to the kiss he had given her, the other hand reflexively fell to her stomach. She refused to cry or even let a single tear well up as Luke gave her a thumbs up sign quickly followed by a kiss to his hand and pressed to the cockpit.

She laughed despite herself. But despite the bittersweet smile and laugh she could feel the darker part of herself, hidden away by years of discipline and foul dark side techniques laugh bitterly. You found him and he must leave. Isn’t that how it always ends for us? Alone and forgotten.

“You look concerned.” The Jem’Hedar noted eyeing the human with a hooded expression, a single milky white cataract eye, not fully developed in the cloning process interrupted during Lord Skywalker’s rescue contrasting sharply with the other bright yellow eye.

“He is our only hope. If we lose him in this battle we’ve lost everything we have accomplished.”

The Jem’Hedar grunted to himself and shook his head ruefully.

“What is it?” Kittaine asked as the X-Wing slowly began to rise off the flight deck guided by a flight crewman waving light wands.

“He is the Walker of the Skies, his destiny is not meant to be insignificant. If his death means the end of an Empire then so be it. But I do not believe that it will end thus. I believe he is meant for a grander thing and I want to be there to see it.”

“You have a lot of faith in him for someone whose known him all of a few days.” Kittaine replied dryly.

The Jem’Hedar smiled grimly.

“My people have walked among gods, Grand Admiral. We know greatness and destiny when we see it. That one – ” Rulek Parr indicated the X-Wing as it slowly began to rise off the gantry with a nod of his head. “He is destined for something greater than we can even imagine. I want to be there by his side when he realizes his destiny.”

Kittaine paused and eyed the brutish Jem’Hedar.

“Let us hope you are right. Because this battle will be one for the ages.”

“As it should be.” Rulek Parr replied with an emphatic nod as the X-Wing slowly passed over them, the whine of her engines drowning out any other sound.

FEDERATION REMNANT FLEET ANDOR SECTOR T – 1.75 HOURS

“And this is the best we can do?” Kirk asked seriously as he examined the tactical reports.

“Yes sir. All fleet elements have been deployed. As per the Klingon Chancellor’s request we have stationed the bulk of the Klingon fleet on the outer rings of our defensive perimeter.

Kirk nodded.

“We will have the honor of being the first to engage the Empire in combat.” Worf announced. “What happened to our people will be answered here if it must be.”

“You’re awfully eager for this Chancellor.” Jellico stated pointedly.

“Do not mistake resolution and determination for eagerness. Your people were always too quick to judge us so.”

“But I’m more concerned by this wing right here.” Kirk pointed to a spot on his perimeter far to the right of the fleet center. Most of the right wing covered the population centers of Andor and its closest moon which over the last few months had been fortified into a veritable fortress.

“The Andorian defensive fleet has demanded that the sector be defended solely by Andorian fleet assets.” Spock continued curiously.”

“But that doesn’t make any sense. This places the Andorian capital and its infrastructure at risk. I don’t want to sound too egotistical but wouldn’t the Andorians want at least a few ships with our experience and upgrades to help defend that zone?”

“I can only relay what the Andorian president insisted upon.” Spock replied but they could tell he too was as perplexed as Kirk.

The conference room on the Enterprise was packed with Captains and their tactical officers. Nearly the entire Federation Remnant fleet was here, thousands of starships and their attendant fighters and support craft not to mention the Andorian defensive fleet and the Klingon Home Guard. Some more melodramatic were dubbing this the Battle to End all Battles.

“The Andorian fleet has seen better days. Some of these ships are decades out of date.” Riker noted gravely as he scanned the registry. His eyebrows went up for a moment. “I think there are some ships here that are vintage your time Captain.”

Kirk frowned. What were the Andorians trying to prove?

“You know damn well what this means.” Kirk stated as he placed the datapad down on the table and looked at his closest officers. “Thrawn will hit that wing the moment he sees the opening.”

“Will he be that obvious?” Riker asked.

“He doesn’t need to be subtle Captain Riker. Thrawn holds all the cards in the firepower department.” Jellico interjected sternly.

“Thrawn will not be subtle. He will be brutal and effective. He doesn’t have the time to waste to be subtle with us. He has to be worried about Luke’s Imperium right about now if reports of hostilities between the two stardestroyers at Darkstar’s palace are true. He needs to knock us out quickly and decisively. He cannot allow this fleet to escape to fight another day.” Kirk explained.

“Good thing we’re not running.” Leia added wryly.

“Not a laughing matter from where I sit.” Jellico interjected darkly. Leia glanced at the older man as if to respond but noted Kirk’s annoyed expression and decided it best to let the comment lie.

“The orders are clear. We are not running from this fight. We make our stand here and now and we will do our best to defeat the Imperial forces by any means necessary.” Kirk explained softly but his words were edged with emphasis on his meaning. There would be no retreat, no surrender, no quarter asked and none given.

“And these Amber devices?” Jellico asked pointedly.

“They will be deployed upon my command not before. They are a weapon of last resort.” Kirk replied. He looked over at Riker. “Captain Riker we’re going to need the Excalibur to go above and beyond today. She’s the only ship in the fleet that stands a chance in hell of going toe to toe with Thrawn’s stardestroyers.”

“The Excalibur will do her duty, Captain. They will not pass where we stand.” Riker stated stoically.

“That’s all I can ask of you and your brave crew. Thank you, Will, for all you’ve done for me and the Federation.”

“It is an honor sir.” Riker smiled.

“Chancellor Worf?”

“Yes, Captain Kirk?”

“I want to especially thank your people for standing with us today on the field of battle. We could not have asked for stauncher allies in this fight and I could not imagine this final conflict without the proud Klingons teaching us what brave warriors are like in times of crisis.”

Worf seemed genuinely surprised by Kirk’s words. Some of the Klingons seated with him exchanged equally surprised but proud glances.

“There is no one else we would rather stand with on this day, Captain. With our Bat’leths in hand we know we have the Federation at our back and that is all we need to know.”

Kirk nodded gratefully.

“We shall see each other again on the field of battle.” Kirk stood up and thumped his chest. “Kaplah!”

Worf and the other Klingons enthusiastically returned the salute with loud exclamations of Kaplah! Many of the assembled officers began joining in smiling and Leia could see the tension quickly draining from their faces.

“Wedge Antilles!” Kirk called out over the chants as a Klingon began a low thumping war chant in the back that the others were quick to pick up on. A tall slim Trill woman stood by a brash young Klingon and she soon took up the beat and tempo by watching him.

“Sir!” Wedge replied from his place behind Leia.

“I fully expect you and your Rogues to bag me a full stardestroyer’s TIE complement.”

“Just one sir? You insult us.” Wedge laughed. The war chant was clearly being picked up by the Starfleet officers, many mangling the Klingoneese but clearly too enthusiastic about it to care.

McCoy tugged on Spock’s sleeve and shouted over the growing din. “What are they saying?”

Spock glanced at McCoy and back at the chanting crowd.

“It is an ancient Klingon Battle song. I believe the gist of it is ‘Eat the Targ’s Heart, Drink the Blood Wine, Make a Joyful noise for tomorrow we cross into Stovolkohr.”

McCoy frowned peevishly.

“Not exactly uplifting lyrics are they?”

“Quiet the contrary Doctor, it seems they are.” Spock replied watching more Starfleet officers join in the chant, thumping their table tops or even their chests in time with the beat.

Threepio stumbled to the left and right as Klingons jostled past him to join the growing jubilant crowd in the center of the room.

“I must say this is frightfully decadent.” Threepio complained.

Artoo whisteled and chirped an observation.

“Exciting is hardly the word I would use.” Threepio retorted tartly before stumbling backwards from an exuberant sweep of a Klingon inviting more people forward to the cneter of the drumming. Some humans began dancing to the beat with frenetic swinging of hips and arms. Tellarites lost their dour expressions as they were reluctantly pulled into the celebration by smiling Betazoids. Even the Vulcans allowed themselved to be caught up in the moment somehow a Vulcan lyre found itself in the room and the gentle sturmming took up a counterpoint to the deep bass drumming of fists on any hard surface available.

“Chewie!” Kirk called out with a growing smile of joy.

The Wookie roared a reply.

“You watch over the Princess. She’s been my partner in crime in this and I would hate for anything to happen to her.”

The Wookie gave Kirk a joyful roar as he placed a protective arm around Leia. Leia laughed seeing the room virtually glowing as hundreds were putting aside all their tension and fear in this one orgasmic moment of joyful celebration of the battle to come. She quickly walked over to Kirk who was shouting encouragement to the Captain of another starship.

“You should know by now I don’t need rescuing.” Leia complained as she playfully punched him in the shoulder.

“It’s a hard habit to break for me.” Kirk replied smiling boyishly.

“You be careful out there. After all I’m the one on a rebel frigate that can at least survive a few broadsides from a stardestroyer. Have you reconsidered my offer for you to take command from the fleet on the Hope?”

“No. The Enterprise is and has always been the flagship of the Federation. In this, our final battle she will retain that honor and distinction. I could never leave her.”

“I understand.”

Kirk gripped her hands.

“Thank you for everything Leia. This could not have happened without you.”

“You underestimate yourself, Jim. But I’ll accept it with grace.”

“Just like the princess you are.”

They looked into each other’s eyes for a long moment, the war chant picking up volume if that were possible and the Klingons impetuously began competing with the Starfleet officers in who could chant the loudest.

Leia leaned in close to him and kissed his cheek, missing his lips by a mere inch. She smiled meaningfully at him.

“For luck.”

Kirk put an arm around her and drew her to his side and turned to face his rowdy commanders, eyes widening as a Betazoid went sprawling out on the table flung there by an over enthusiastic Klingon reveler. Kirk laughed warmly, gripping a beautiful woman at his side and feeling as if all the worried of the world had vanished and he was a simple Starship captain discovering strange new worlds and civilizations. He could still be amazed by flowers that changed hues at the slightest whisper of the wind and the varying shades of color that were unique to every world he walked on. He imagined himself that young man building his first model sailing vessel and looking out at the stars from his Iowa farm and imagining himself out among those very stars. And he was happy. He held on to that moment for as long as he could.

“Are you going to come away from the window?” his bonded one’s voice drifted out from behind him.

He stood quietly on the balcony of the presidential estate. In his hand he held a drink and the other rested on the cool marble railing. The dim blue sun was slowly drifting down into the horizon. He watched it intently as if willing himself to remember every detail. His head antennae reflexively swiveled back into the house to catch all the sounds.

“Did you hear me, love?” his wife asked in the traditional quiet Andorian whisper.

“Of course my love.” He replied distracted by the way the blue light cut through the leaves hanging over the balcony.

His wife eyed him quietly for a moment, taking measure of his mood and stance. She placed a soft powder blue hand on his shoulder.

“Is it the Battle?”

Above them, starting to become visible in the twilight sky were thousands of large streaking stars. They blotted out the true stars in their aggressive ballet above. An armada the likes of which Andor had never seen before was gathering and very soon, some believed in hours, the final fate of the planet and its people would be decided.

He tried to smile reassuringly but instead it was a sad tired smile. He gripped her hand in his.

“Is S’Yblis asleep?”

“Yes.” His wife replied hesitantly surprised by the sudden change in topic.

“Good. Good. You know I used to be ambassador to Earth before being elected by our people as Primarch.”

“Indeed. I remember watching you speak when I was a reporter for the Federation news service and wondering what sort of husband you would make.”

Now he smiled warmly and drew her close to him. Andorians were cool compared to humans but he felt warmer having her close to him like this on this night as the pale blue Andorian sun faded from the horizon.

“And did I meet your expectations?”

“Here and there.” She shrugged.

He laughed softly and kissed her hand.

“The humans had a prayer when they put their children to sleep. It always made me curious and wonder if humans are not the most morbid creatures in this universe but only now here, at the end of all things do I see the wisdom in the words.”

His bonded one watched him intently. Worry and stress had creased his face now since the fall of the Federation and his bright head feathers were dulled and beginning to thin. There was no doubt that these troubled times had carved out their scars on her husband’s face. He was no longer the gentle quiet soul she remembered marrying. She mourned for him.

“What is it?”

He looked back out into the sun as its final sapphire light shone in the coming darkness.

“Now I lay me down to sleep I pray the lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.”

His wife was quiet as the sun finally vanished on the horizon.

“Is it truly the end?” She asked, voice catching with emotion.

He looked down at his wife and his mind flashed back to the ultra secret control center at the center of the sprawling estate. He could see the missile in his mind’s eye quietly waiting. He could see one of his oldest friends sitting patiently sipping Suralek tea and gently tapping the crystal spoon against the delicate porcelain lip of the tea cup. Deprived of his Shadowfleet this was his last duty, his final post. The control panel was within arm’s reach and displayed along massive screens comprising the far wall of the complex were constant readouts and trajectory calculations leading from Andor, from that very complex to the heart of Andor’s blue sun.

He imagined the signal that the battle was a loss. He could see his friend quietly set his tea cup down and perhaps he may spare one last breath of resignation before hitting the control panel and the missile would be primed and launched within moments. Trajectory and guidance information downloaded, cloaking device activated and the matter antimatter reactor would spin to life sending the missile rocketing out of the complex and to its destiny.

Would his friend even give any sign of despair? He doubted it. Perhaps his friend would wait for his death like the others. The pale blue sun would vanish and be replaced by a wall of fire and oblivion and the entire planet, the entire system would die. But they would be free and in the end they had decided better to die free than live under the yolk of oppression.

Let the humans like Kirk fight and scrap until they exhausted themselves.

Andor would be free forever and no one could change that.

But his eyes wandered to the hall and the bedroom beyond where his precious jewel slept and he hoped she would not wake. He prayed to the eternal her soul to take. Let her life end in dreams.

He watched the horizon one last time before answering, tears beginning to stream down his cheeks.

“I have watched my last sunset my love. Another will not set or rise over Andor ever again.”
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

First. :)

Sweet: Now reading.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Noble Ire wrote:First. :)
Damn you!

Anywho: WOOT! *Reads*
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
A-Wing_Slash
Padawan Learner

Post by A-Wing_Slash »

Yet another magnificent chapter in an already magnificent story. I can't wait to see the actual battle.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

You do have a knack for leaving you readers wanting more, Stravo. :wink:
The character interactions in this chapter were all very well done, I especially enjoyed Luke's continued development. The Andorian's nihilistic attiude is a bit odd, especially considering all the help they called in, but I suppose it is understandable. I can't wait for the long awaited battle o begin. :)
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Damn, could've been first if I'd posted instead of reading. Ah, well.

This is going to be an epic clash, I can feel it. Take heart, Andor, you may yet see the sun rise again.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I feel like joining the Klingons in song. This is truely going to be a battle worthy of song!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well done Stravo. I especially like Kittaine pointing out the relevant points of the histories of the Old Republic, Empire, and the Death Star. I too will join the Klingons in battle as the endgame continues to fall into place -- now if only the same could happen with my stories... 8)
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Good stuff, Stravo, as per usual. Not overly keen on the black x-wing, it feels slightly cliched in this matter, I don't know whether a different form of TIE X1 variant would have felt better - something that perhaps mirrored some of the X-wing's traits, but other than that, a very nice chapter. Got shivers when Kittaine said 'may the force be with you'. Looking forward to more.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Can't wait the next chapter....

I had the russian hymn in the back of my mind all over kirks speach, you know, the one of the scene in "Hunt for Red October"
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

LaCroix wrote:Can't wait the next chapter....

I had the russian hymn in the back of my mind all over kirks speach, you know, the one of the scene in "Hunt for Red October"
Seriously?! I thought it was just me being weird. Looked for it on iTunes, they didn't have it - curses!
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Johnathon_Chance
Youngling

Post by Johnathon_Chance »

Awesome, cant wait to dive in and read it! I was reluctant to look when I got the notice because of the LAST false alarm! :evil:

Keep up the good work Stravo, this gives me something to read tonight!
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Possum Lodge Member 2505162435
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Pretty nice chapter. Was that Andorian referring to the plan to blow up the sun in his section? Or was he just being doom'n'gloomy?
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2005-11-04 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.