Death Cab For Cutie

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Death Cab For Cutie

Post by Jack Bauer »

So I've been listening to their new album Plans and it rocks. I love every song, especially "I Will Follow You Into The Dark". Their older works, like Transatlanticism are also very good.

Give 'em a listen if you haven't yet. I believe NPR online has a link where you can listen to their last concert using streaming audio.
Sig by JME2
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

You're right, Plans is awesome. I've got to say, though, that "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" is my least favorite song on there. I'm more partial to "Soul Meets Body," "Summer Skin" and "Brothers on a Hotel Bed."
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

You know, my roommate from two years ago played them all the time and I never figured out who they were until a week ago. I've never gone so long trying to identify a band.

I've only really listened to Transatlanticism and some of their older stuff (or whatever my roommate was playing of theirs, anyway). The older stuff seemed a bit too electro-wanky to me, but I really have enjoyed Transatlanticism. Maybe I'll give Plans a shot also.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Plans is the first that I've been exposed to Death Cab, and I love it tons. So how do the rest of their albums measure up, not quality-wise, but stylistically?

And since I'm on a (very) limited budget, which album(s) would you recommend, if I can only get one or possibly two?
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

Like Joe said, some of the songs on the earlier albums are a little too electronic and instrumental for my tastes. All in all however, their previous works are good. I'd definitely check out the albums Something About Airplanes and The Photo Album.

Note to Joe: If you liked Transatlanticism, you'll love Plans.
Sig by JME2
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

a lot of my friends keep recommending these guys too me, im just too damned lazy to listen to them though.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

I got their 2003 album "Transatlanticism" because of all the rave reviews I heard about Death Cab and their previous albums and thought it was okay, but wasn't interest enough to buy any more of their subsequent albums. I did notice though, that many girls who spot that album get all excited when they think that I'm a Death Cab for Cutie fan.

However, I highly recommend Ben Gibbard's project Postal Service and the album "Give Up" for any Death Cab for Cutie fans. It's more sythn-pop electronica than Death Cab, but it's excellent.
Namarie
Padawan Learner

Post by Namarie »

Holy crap they're awesome. I can honestly say that Im in love with the entire Plans album, thus meaning I would totally have its babies, :D and Transatlanticism is just as good. Favorite song = We Looked Like Giants + EverysingoneonPlans
Bertie Wooster wrote:However, I highly recommend Ben Gibbard's project Postal Service and the album "Give Up" for any Death Cab for Cutie fans. It's more sythn-pop electronica than Death Cab, but it's excellent.
What he said.
Yay.