I got art 'n stuff on my website. It's called Head Cancer.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

I got art 'n stuff on my website. It's called Head Cancer.

Post by Utsanomiko »

Yeah, so there it is:

Head Cancer Productions.

Still missing the About page and could use a few more items put up, but it's got just about everything of mine you need there.
Last edited by Utsanomiko on 2005-11-05 01:39am, edited 1 time in total.
By His Word...
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

ARGH! the background! *Kills Uts*
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

What? I like the backgrounds it's got. It's navy & black, can't beat that. Works find on IE and the 'zilla, anyhow.
By His Word...
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The background sears my eyes. :shock:
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Odd, I don't really mind the background. :?

In any event, my woffles are throughly rofled, sir. :)
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what's so burninating about dark blue. It's not even a crisp image, there's like 16 colors for dithering. Are the other pages horrendously navy too?

Am I just being heckled by the two prats who'd have a seizure over black & white starfield backdrops, or do I need to keep the lettering darker than #00001F RGB?
By His Word...
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Utsanomiko wrote:I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what's so burninating about dark blue. It's not even a crisp image, there's like 16 colors for dithering. Are the other pages horrendously navy too?

Am I just being heckled by the two prats who'd have a seizure over black & white starfield backdrops, or do I need to keep the lettering darker than #00001F RGB?
I don't think they're complaining about the colours, just how cluttered it seems to be.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Who knows what they're complaining about, honestly. I still can't see how even with a lighter dark blue the lettering would be strong enough to register visible 'clutter'. It's only on three pages anyway with hardly any reading material.

I tried to get DPDP to say something confirmably non-douchebaggery about it, but he evidently left the minute I sent him a PM. Graah.

Still, I could always just do this:
http://head-cancer.tripod.com/headcancergarlermy.html
By His Word...
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Today is the 4th, not the 5th. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Utsanomiko wrote:Who knows what they're complaining about, honestly
LOOK, THE DARK BLUE TEXT CLUTTERED ALL OVER THE BACKGROUND MAKES OUR EYES HURT! ELIMINATE THE DAMN TEXT AND MAKE IT SOLID BLUE.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

How in the world can dark blue on black be hard to look at? I don't have any problem with the background whatsoever.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The dark blue text blends in too well into background and makes a complex pattern that you can't quite see well. It hurts my eyes something fierce.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

So it's blending in too much that's the problem. I found brighter colors gave it too much contrast. Hrrmmm....

That's it, I'm reverting the background to the black & lighter navy that it was this morning. The only time it actually looked bad was while I was trying to fix it in Photoshop to make it somehow not 'burn & be cluttered' from having too little contrast or a defined pattern. I can't afford to waste my time going crazy over problems that aren't there in places that weren't major anyway.
By His Word...
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Uts, just a heads up: keep in mind that most people keep their monitor resolution at 1024x768 or whatever the actual numbers are.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Uts, just a heads up: keep in mind that most people keep their monitor resolution at 1024x768 or whatever the actual numbers are.
I know, I've been checking the layout with an unmaximized window close to 800x600. Everything seems to be scaling and wrapping alright so far. In the meantime, I'm keeping on the lookout for typos or broken links.
By His Word...
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Times New Roman is an automatic fail on a website :P

I don't really like the background much either, the blue kinda needs more contrast with the black. It's not exactly burning my eyes, just makes me strain a bit.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Exonerate wrote:Times New Roman is an automatic fail on a website :P

I don't really like the background much either, the blue kinda needs more contrast with the black. It's not exactly burning my eyes, just makes me strain a bit.
If Times is good enough for Curtis Saxton, it's good enough for me. I only know how to do like six HTML functions, anyhow. :wink:
And if the background was that important for everyone to read, I would have put its text in the foreground. I'm really trying to see an issue or a rationale for avoiding harshly-muddled contrast in a background, but the only place I can even force myself to be bothered by it is the Essays page by trying to both it and the article text at the same time, and giving it more contrast would just add to that. Great, 3 hours in and I'm already getting 'too many notes'-type complaints... :P

Is the Gallery or Development background fine, at least?

EDIT: Image just broke on me. I'm too annoyed to take that as anything but a sign to just give it up and get rid of it. If dark blue & black is causing blootshot & watering eyes, it's just too fucked-up of a notion for me to solve any other way.

Now then, back to adding actual content.
By His Word...
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Regarding the actual content, I think it's great that you're putting together a site with much of the stuff you've done over the years in one place with commentary and explaning some of the stories behind their meaning and creation.

I think Uts is more interested in what people think about the site itself and what's on it rather trivialities such as whether the inconsequential background is hard to read...

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Leaving it plain black works really well. In fact, I like it alot. I've found that in website design, avoiding repeating patterns for backgrounds is a good idea.

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

I find it too empty and blank, but whatever. :P
By His Word...
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

White on black is a bit harsh- too much contrast- maybe something slightly grayer. That, and serif fonts... Free hosting sucks, but it's a personal website, so eh.

Content is decent though.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Utsanomiko wrote: I tried to get DPDP to say something confirmably non-douchebaggery about it, but he evidently left the minute I sent him a PM. Graah.
I have an idea that might help. I'll tell you about it tomorrow.

(I like your Yellow Kid homage.)
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Argh, too much concentrated funny. Make it less funny so I don't burn out my funny circuit.

And you forgot your Beyond Good and Evil thingy.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Thanks DPDP and Dalton (I didn't think the BG&E poster was worth it; a white outline in every bite!), but it doesn't matter about the background now. Or the fonts, or the colors, or whatever else I don't give a damn about with webpage building or coding. If I gave a damn about the website beyond holding my stuff, I'd be using more than Notepad and copy & pasting from what's basically the same template from 2001, now wouldn't I? :P I really hope nobody actually looked at this or my last site and say 'oh, he must be an aspiring web-designer! Good luck with that!'

Anywho, I've changed the title in the hope that people get the idea that this isn't about "My *website!* and the stuff on it." Hopefully that'll be the end of the confusion.

However, if one more person comments about my shitty HTML that isn't an error report, eyeballs melting from the visuals, or a simple & relevant coding tag suggestion, I will *drown* a bunny.
I've got a garbage bag, a brick, and some string, and so help me if one more person mentions it, I will start filling up the bathtub, and you will never see that bunny again.

Glad we're all one the same page and clear now. Cheers.
By His Word...
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Make sure you cook up your bio page right quick.