I'm engaged to be married!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sothis
Jedi Knight

I'm engaged to be married!

Post by Sothis »

I shall never forget the 5th of November 2005, because it is the day I asked Michelle to marry me, and she said yes.

I made up my mind to ask her the previous weekend, and I was desperately hoping to find a ring in time to pop the question. As luck would have it, I spotted a ring in a local jewellers and as even more luck would have it, the ring was the right size. I got it on Wednesday, and from then on had to bite my tongue to avoid giving anything away. I wanted it to be a surprise!

I travelled down to see Michelle on Friday, straight from work, and we went to a local fireworks display, that was vast and impressive, with fireworks I hadn't seen before. The whole occasion was bright, bubbly and fantastic, but was marred by the actions of at least one person, who decided it was clever to set off a firework at the back of a speaker system mounted on a lorry. This lorry wasn't very far away from the crowd at all and things could have been much, much worse than the two people who were injured.

Still, despite that, the night was good.

On Saturday Michelle and I ventured into London. We hadn't 'done' London for a while, and it was nice to look around and take in the various sights and sounds of the capital. We went to Hamleys, the big toy shop, and browsed around looking for model railways to get Bruce. The prices were extortionate and they weren't much cheaper anywhere else!

Hamleys was, as always, packed, but it was still fun to look around the place. As we were walking there, we saw a huge line-up of classic cars, some really old designs that must have dated back to the 1920's and perhaps even earlier. In fact, I'd say definately earlier. It was quite a sight and great to see!

We had a moment of pure hilarity at a Tube station- we were making for a train and I hopped on with Michelle right behind me- but the doors closed before she could get on! We waved to each other and laughed, and then I waited for her at the next station- a classic moment!

After lunching at a Chinese/Japanese noodle bar, we voyaged about London, looking for possible Christmas/birthday presents and stumbling across Forbidden Planet, a huge sci-fi shop, where Simon Pegg, of 'Shaun of the Dead' fame, was doing a signing. Alas, we didn't manage to get his autograph!

We stopped off briefly at the National Art Gallery in the hopes of seeing a particular exhibit, Rubens: A Master in the Making, but it was a timed entry exhibit and you had to pay to see it, and given the prices, we unfortunately left without getting to see it- another time though!

We headed home and once in the warmth, listening and watching fireworks going off all around, we hauled the duvet downstairs and snuggled in to play Scrabble. We got out some Lambrini and watched Lost and Galaxy Quest, whilst continuing to play Scrabble, and I willed myself to find the courage to ask the big question.

Michelle had said something earlier in the day that made me chuckle- she said that she had as much chance of winning the lottery as me putting a ring on her finger. I had to look away and smile when she said that.

I said that I had something important to ask her, and brought up the aforementioned comment, and then produced the ring from my pocket- I was feeling very nervous and emotional, but hopefully didn't seem like too much of a nervous meerkat! We hugged, we kissed, and we cuddled, and we are now engaged!

I am the happiest man alive right now!
Hakuna Matata
The Forums of Sothis! http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/sothis.html
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Congratulations!
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Comando293
Padawan Learner

Post by Comando293 »

Score!!!!

(why are there always four exclamation points after everything????)
Avatar courtesy of Alan Bolte and Glimmervoid
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Very lovely day you had to have proposed her. Congratulations!
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Sounds like an incredible evening! Congratulations. Love the dramatic irony! :D
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
The Jazz Intern
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jazz Intern »

SWEET! congratulations! she's a lucky gal!
WWDD What would dogbert do?
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Remember remember the 5th of November...
That's weird because I just watched the "V for Vendetta" trailer.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

One of us gets set to end his engagement(the good way :wink: ), and another starts their's up. Congratulations.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Congratulations! Congratulations! And congratulations!
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Well done sir. Many happy years to you both.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

ouch, so sorry to hear that. but hey in the end most of the wild stallions do get caught and tamed. :wink:

congrats, here is to you and your new fiancee *raises glass*
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

*Raise can of Diet Coke (which I happen to be drinking)*

Congrats, Sothis! :D

And while you're at it, maybe buy this week's lottery ticket. Who knows? :wink:
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Congratulations!
Comando293 wrote:Score!!!!

(why are there always four exclamation points after everything????)
There are five!

Yeah, I know, cheesy ST quote.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Mazal tov!= col hakavod= congragulations/Salutations :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Congrats dude! :) You are engaged to a Michelle? So am I. :) It'd be weird if it was the same person. :) lol
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Ricky
Redshirt

Post by Ricky »

Hey, congratulations! :D
I'm recently married myself, and can confirm that it only gets better...
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Congratulations man!! That was a very sweet way to do it and to tell you the truth it brought a tear to my eye when I read it.

I wish you and your fiance all the happiness marriage can provide (which is a lot btw ;) )
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

congrats

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Enigma wrote:Congrats dude! :) You are engaged to a Michelle? So am I. :) It'd be weird if it was the same person. :) lol
They're both me! How'd you guess? (Yeah, my name's Michelle :))

Seriously, congratulations. Just from the way you talk about her, it sounds like you two love each other a lot. Good luck!
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Very nice, congratulations!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Congrats!
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Sothis
Jedi Knight

Post by Sothis »

Thank you one and all for your kind words- I shall keep you posted with updates and gossip :wink:
Hakuna Matata
The Forums of Sothis! http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/sothis.html
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

Congrats! A word of advice, save up some energy for your wedding night. :twisted:
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!