Who would desire to be part of a fic?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Who would desire to be part of a fic?

Post by Ford Prefect »

Recently, I decided that I would enjoy writing about the Imperium for a change, and so sat down and started to plan, but discovered that the bane of my existence came up - choosing names.

In essence, this story would focus around a Rogue Trader and his surviv- er, 'closest' flunkies and men. So, who'd like to put forth a name for me to use?

Oh, and if you can give me a good enough reason, I'll make you right-hand man.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

James.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Name: Kuja Aluxtros

Race: Human

Hair: White

Eyes: Pink

Ht/Wt: 5'10"/190 lbs

Psyker rating: mid-Epsilon

Personality: Quiet and intense, prone to gallows humor at inappropriate times. As an albino, Kuja dislikes intense light, shrouding his entire body and wearing goggles if he has no choice but to go out. He prefers to keep to his own room, preferably with the light switched off. An introvert, he has no real friends, but no real enemies either. Except mutant-haters of course. Kuja is nominally loyal to the Emperor - he's human of course - but he doesn't really seem to give a damn about much in general.

Combat style: Kuja uses his mental power as a kind of sixth sense, often detecting threats a split-second before they manifest, thus giving him time to draw a weapon before an enemy does. When calm and focused, he can often pick up the surface thoughts of other individuals, as well as transmit his own. He has no ability for telekinesis or any other physical manifestations, something he sometimes seems a little too eager to correct...

History: Kuja slipped the psyk-test because he was born on a frontier world. However, this also means he never got the chance to develop his power with any professional help. When he was nineteen, Kuja decided to leave home aboard a trader ship. Ten months later, Hive Fleet Behemoth ripped through, killing his entire family. Kuja drifted from ship to ship, usually as a laborer, surviving the harsh conditions and occasional accidents by using his latent power. Then, one night in a seedy bar when a gunfight erupted, Kuja saved his Navigator's life by pulling him under the table just as the shooting started. That was when he discovered his ability. He spent years cultivating it, even as he continued to hop from ship to ship. The only constant in his life was his hatred of the Tyrannids. He'll do anything to get back at them for what they did. Anything.

OK, so you asked for a name, not a whole character. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Use the whole thing if you want. Or chunks. Or just the name. Whatever. It's your story. Looking forward to it. :D
JADAFETWA
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Dave, aka Mr. Coffee. Does general maintenience around the ship. He's a great mechanic and knows his way around a lazgun, but he get's easilly distracted by shiney objects. Mostly relies on sheer luck to survive long. Gets really cranky without his java.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Manesero, also known by an alternative translation as Jeff. Quiet character, large, but very good at blending in with the background. Skilled with his hands; perhaps one of the mechanics. Welds, builds, cuts, destroys.

Decent-to-fair shot; reasonably skilled at hand-to-hand combat, but prefers to use a melee weapon instead, notably blades or staffs/long pipes.

For some reason doesn't speak, seems to be mute; communicates with other crew members through a series of hand gestures and facial expressions, as well as a small padd-like device upon which text can be input for more precise instructions. Carries a few large markers in his pocket for emergency usage upon the nearest bit of hull; around the ship, in areas where the cleaning servitors haven't been, scribbled instructions regarding repairs remain upon the bulkheads.

Is an avid reader; his cabin is lined with books. Is as a result somewhat of a woolgatherer, but knows a little somethin' bout everythin', and pretty decent knowledge in a fair few topics.

If you're willing to take the time, he provides excellent conversation via the padd.

That do?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Excellent! Excellent! Creepy albino Psyker, and a silent huamn giant, as well as a coffee addict (McKay, anyone?). Anyone else?
What is Project Zohar?

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Sgt. Daniel Lantress Cadian karskin.....

Has a few minor glitches.

Tends to speak his mind and tells things as he sees them.

Is immune to the fear effect most creatures create....something about an ex wife being much worse

Has a few purity seals he wears on his armor.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Danest Jek.
Very quiet with the habit of reading whatever he can get his overly pale hands on.
His eyes and hands are exceptionally large and he tends to cover them whenever around imperial officers, he used to be a scholar at the university of Weilhun in Necromunda before accidentally reading the first page of a book in the psyker section left him fleeing off world with very peculiar dreams :twisted:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

You can use my name as well. I'd prefer if it was a chaotic spiderlike alien but its your choice in the end as its your fic.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I could do that, though the combination of 'Chaos' and 'spidery Xeno' will probably result in much weapons fire, mostly in you direction :D. On the other hand, the combination of "Chaos" and "spidery Xeno" appeals to me, so I might just hand you a hefty character shield and make you gloat over the Trader's and their inability to direct their sizeable volumes of fire onto you.
What is Project Zohar?

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Are there Russians in 40k? There should be. :)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Well, there could be, I mean, any excuse to use "But if you are innocent comrade, why have you been accused?" is a good excuse.
What is Project Zohar?

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Hey! I can be a Commissar. Or an Inquisitor.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I like that idea - Comrade Commissar Fgalkin. Done.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

You're gonna need a techpriest to keep your ship running, you know. :wink:

Techpriest Inri Vaugn, long-suffering chief mechanic, possibly related to another member of the crew. Has long since given up any pretense of keeping the ship a pristine temple to the Machine God, and instead satisfies himself with preventing it from imploding whenever they enter Warp. His legs have been replaced with reverse-kneed, prehensile augmetics, all the better for navigating the ship's tight spaces.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Og the Ogryn. Me hit stuff. Me lift heavy things. Me can hit broad side of barn, with scope, marker flares, and few ranging shots. Curiously, due to an unapproved Mechanicus upgrade to my cerebrum, I am subject to exponential increases in cerebral efficiency at irregular intervals, but, tragically, they are brief in duration. Ummm, me have cat.

Or is that too cliched? :D
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

My SN came from my Inqusitor character. Not too picky how you use him, just make sure he's been horrifically maimed and has lots of bionic replacements... oh and he may or may not be completely batshit depending on who you ask/ :D
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

consequences wrote:Og the Ogryn. Me hit stuff. Me lift heavy things. Me can hit broad side of barn, with scope, marker flares, and few ranging shots. Curiously, due to an unapproved Mechanicus upgrade to my cerebrum, I am subject to exponential increases in cerebral efficiency at irregular intervals, but, tragically, they are brief in duration. Ummm, me have cat.

Or is that too cliched? :D
I really like it - I'm a big fan of Ogres.
What is Project Zohar?

admiral_danielsben
Padawan Learner

Post by admiral_danielsben »

I don't have any idea what this stuff is about (I've never read up on this particular series), but I'll give it a shot. My ego's big enough to see me in someone else's fic:

Name: Davol Barnete (incidentally, I've gotten mail from colleges under the name Davol Barnett - they couldn't read my handwriting).
Race: Human, more-or-less
Hair: Brick red
Eyes: dull brown
Ht/Wt: 6'3", 215 lbs

From some distant outer frontier world. Is absolutely amazing with technology, especially various sorts of computers (can probably hack almost any computer around). Is somewhat crazy - mumbles to himself, for instance, and tries to explain bits of on computer technology to anyone who will listen. Keeps a millenia-old vacuum tube as a collectible. Owns a small library of books (mainly fantasy), and reads them often. Doesn't have any interest in politics, and doesn't give a damn about the Emperor one way or another. No known psi abilities, although some would claim he is capable of reading a computer's mind. Is heterosexual, and tends to be a bit shy around women. If glasses exist, he'd wear them.

Not too great for combat, a decent shot and can use a dagger/knife. Is not very disciplined, not especially physically fit. Is very intelligent overall, but can be naive in some areas.

Summed up, Davol is a nutty geek.

EDIT: Oh yeah, he also does not like animals (he simply hates cats). He also speaks with an odd accent.

EDIT again: Has no problem whatsoever with Xenos/non-humans/whatevers, except maybe Orks or something. He also has no real religious beliefs - or disbeliefs, for that matter. Theology, except for its historical and mythical purposes, bores him almost as much as politics does.

yet another EDIT: When I say "no problem with Xenos" I mean "no problem with most non-super-evil Xenos" ie no orks, no chaos-type, no swarms or whatnot. If interspecies relationships are even possible in this rather dreary universe, Davol would most likely get involved with a female Eldar (any non-Dark variety), although that begs the question: how many Eldar women would be willing to have a relationship with a human who mumbles to himself?
Last edited by admiral_danielsben on 2005-11-16 07:27pm, edited 3 times in total.
-DanielSBen
----------------
"Certain death, small chance of sucess, what are we waiting for?" Gimli, son of Gloin
----------------
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)
---------------
"If your lies are going to be this transparent, this is going to be a very short interrogation" -- Kira

"Then I'll try to make my lies more opaque..." -- Gul Darhe'el (DS9: Duet)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Minor addendum to mine; he's a lover of cats. Has a few in his cabin at all times. Occasionally walks about absentminded doing somethin' with a kitten pokin' its head out of his breast pockets. If one's got a rodent/scurrier problem, he's the one to see.

Conversely, he has an absolute hatred of Nids. Can sense if they've been on a planet-- and will often turn up old claws, pieces of exoskeleton, rusty pieces of bolter shrapnel, chunks of sliced ceramite, if there was a battle.

He also dislikes Chaos in all forms, but can tolerate it; in fact, he's good friends with all the astropaths, as they seem to be the only ones he can talk to without needing to speak, write, or use his hand gestures, and is always sad when one of them burns out. He's not a blank, obviously, but has no psychic abilities to speak of; the astropaths like him because, in one's words, "his mind is uncluttered. It's clear, purposeful. He knows what he has to do, he just takes his time about it, that's all. Wish the cap'n would be so accommodating, but no, he always has to have this message sent off prompt...[rest of comments deleted]"

Oh, and he seems to be quite friendly with the Tau and their Kroot allies. He doesn't mind running any negotiations with the fishfaces, they're happy enough to deal with a gue'la who's smart enough to strike a good bargain without clattering on in his absurd tongue (they don't know about him being mute/deaf, which he's happy with), and the Krootlings always appreciate him giving them his extra kittens... little girl Kroots dressing their kittens up and braiding their fur results afterwards :mrgreen:

Really, aside from Nids, he gets along phenomenally well with just about everybody. Even on the occasional mission that he's told not to come down to shore with them, somehow or other he manages; usually, they end up needing him.... and when they don't...

Hope that helps! :wink:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Najeran.

Former Imperial Guardsman, originally from a feudal world. Physically is large, dark and hairy. He is actually surprisingly intelligent and has a natural knack for politics, but he keeps up the pretence of being a big dumb medieval peasant most of the time because it makes people percieve him as less of a threat.
Najeran believes in the GEoM but also pays homage to a number of gods from his own culture, like most on his planet he does this descretely and so few people notice or worry about it. He has an uncompromising hatred for the Eldar, both because the Imperials encouraged his culture to hate them (they were the big threat in the subsector) and because of his experiences fighting them.
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Every ship has to eat right?

Barnibus Redhull is technically the ships cook, but that never stopped him from following Inri or Davol around like some sort of half crazed dog, the rest of the crews stomaches suffers as a result. Fascinated by technology, but never really smart enough to be accepted into a tech guild or the Mechinicus he never the less stops trying to understand it. He carries a great hope for the future due to his faith in the Emperor, as he's on a rogue trader ship he's at least somewhat tolerent of the foul xenos, but the only ones he can actually muster real tolerence for is the Tau.

A son of Armageddon he served as a riflemen in the illustrous 8th "Iron Mouse" Regiment of the Steel Legion for a tour until he was found to have joined underage and was subsequently discharged. His on the job training as his companies cook after it's mess convoy was shot to hell after an Ork Fighta-bomba strike has served him well.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Much the same as the admiral up there. The Ego has landed.

Name: Aesir Vanas
Race: Human
Hair: Brown/Black
Eyes: Cloudy blue/grey
Ht/Wt: 5'7 / not much.

Quite possibly an ex-Guardsman, given his dirty grey flak jacket and fatigues, he spends most of his time on ship staring into Space/the Warp (depending on who you talk to). If asked what his actual role is, the response is invariably a long, rambling war story about a campaign he claims to have served in. The fact that said campaign ended thirty years ago is only a minor flaw with his reasoning. He also claims to be able to fly a capital ship single-handed, be able to build a Necron from scratch, make lasguns do more than warm up the target and see the true prettyness of the warp. Naturally, he has a minor dislike of passing inquisitors, and the local psykers generally dislike him being anywhere near them.
If thrown out of the ship upon landing he usually heads for fire-support roles, despite only carry a scoped las pistol, a half-dozen grenades and a length of lead piping. Somehow, he still manages to get the job done.

It's assumed that he actually does something, but no-one's ever been able to figure out exactly what it is. His cabin seems to be part museum of battles log past, part workshop and part half-molten debris. There's probably a bed in there, but the seat next to the ever flickering TV seems to be the only personal touch in the place.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Additional thoughts/clarifications: Inri would, of course, have Mechadendrites, and I really like the image of him crawling through ship's ducts and along the ceiling. Presumably he'd have some nigh-inaccessable cubbyhole somewhere in the ship's bowels, and it'd be a sparkling clean little temple to the Machine God.

Temperament: Just this side of insubordinately rude, because I've got to check on a door bolt in corridor #963 and don't have time to chat, damnit!

If these ideas appeal to you, have fun!
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

As I know the pain of sucking at coming up with good names, I'll share my current favorite with you: Wilhelm Alshain.

I will freely admit that I blatantly lifted 'Alshain' from Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy (it was the name of a planet).