Awesome christmas lights

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Awesome christmas lights

Post by Faram »

Video with sound, amazing stuff

I really want to know what equpment they used for this.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

That is the coolest Christmas Decoration, EVER!

Edit(forgot light boards can preprogram stuff in): Heck, depending on how many channels he had, I wonder how many light boards and what kind he used.

And it's a damn good tune to go with too.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Ho-Lee-crap. That was complex!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

He must have fainted when he was the electricity bill though.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

With detail such as this, he would have to know how much power he's using as to not overload the circuit breakers or whatever possible system he added to it(a work such as this should have its own dimmer box with its own set of breakers anyway). With that, he could calculate how much he's using and thus the price can be found already before lighting it up.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

That was amazing!! I passed the video along to my family members, this certainly gives us lazy people no excuse not to decorate ;) :lol:
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Soontir C'boath wrote:That is the coolest Christmas Decoration, EVER!

Edit(forgot light boards can preprogram stuff in): Heck, depending on how many channels he had, I wonder how many light boards and what kind he used.

And it's a damn good tune to go with too.
You wouldn't need many...The ones I've worked with should have been able to do that.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Soontir C'boath

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:You wouldn't need many...The ones I've worked with should have been able to do that.
Well, I was thinking an amount of two light boards at the most. Eyeballing this guy's work, he definitely has at least 50 channels going there.

I definitely want(but most likely can't) to do something like this for my dorm's exterior. There is just this one long section which faces the parking lot that is begging to be lit up.
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Fleet Admiral JD wrote:You wouldn't need many...The ones I've worked with should have been able to do that.
Well, I was thinking an amount of two light boards at the most. Eyeballing this guy's work, he definitely has at least 50 channels going there.

I definitely want(but most likely can't) to do something like this for my dorm's exterior. There is just this one long section which faces the parking lot that is begging to be lit up.
I'm an AV nerd, operating lights/sound at my high school, local community college as well. Where would one get a light board?

Soontir C'boath

As far as I know at the moment since I never contemplated into looking into light boards before, this 48/96 channel lightboard plus some features I never got to look at (since I graduated) that my high school theatre director bought cost him around 5K, he had a consultant come in for it though so I don't know exactly which company it came from. There are some that I see such as from music123.com but they simply don't hold as much channels as one would need for this type of stuff(I think I saw at max a 32/64 channel system there for a couple hundred).

Of course 32 channels is still a lot as that's what my high school used to work with since one scene section was broken, heh. Still did the job.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

That's downright bitchin.

It seems there is truly a new benchmark in home decorating. :D
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

Mother of God.

Did the decorator actually play that music while all that shit was going on?
"Guys, don't do that"
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

reminds me of "close encounters of the third kind"
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
The Jazz Intern
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jazz Intern »

How do you suppose they did that?
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to tape my jaw back up.
WWDD What would dogbert do?
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Morilore wrote:Mother of God.

Did the decorator actually play that music while all that shit was going on?
I'd say 99.999995% certain that it was. The odds that a Christmas-y rockin' song synchs up THAT well with a random lights display over a 3:30 period is like Heart of Gold improbable.
Ketira
Redshirt

Post by Ketira »

YE GODS!

That reminds me of something I saw on the news last year: someone in Orlando had a short-range radio broadcast station going and had programmed his lights to go along with the music --with a sign outside telling passers-by just where on the FM dial one should tune to.

Now there's something I know I can't do; a programmer, I ain't. *sighs*
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

In all likeliness, he used a fully computerized light and sound board (or even just a light board with a good sound input). I unfortunatley have never used a light board like the one that he most likely is using, (I'm a sound guy, not a light tech), but one was used for my high school musical when I was running the sound boards. There are a number of ways to set this up, but the easiest way, which also happens to be the most tedious and time consuming, is to wait for a single trigger from the sound source, and then have each slide independantly timed to the music. This reduces false positives from the music cues to the light board, and guarentees that the lights will follow the music, as long as the lightboard gets the cue. To make it even more extravagant, you could set it up so that it only takes syncing cues at key points in the music to make sure it stays in sync.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

What song was that playing? Fucking righteous tune to go with that christmas-light wankage!
Image Image
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Soontir C'boath wrote:As far as I know at the moment since I never contemplated into looking into light boards before, this 48/96 channel lightboard plus some features I never got to look at (since I graduated) that my high school theatre director bought cost him around 5K, he had a consultant come in for it though so I don't know exactly which company it came from. There are some that I see such as from music123.com but they simply don't hold as much channels as one would need for this type of stuff(I think I saw at max a 32/64 channel system there for a couple hundred).

Of course 32 channels is still a lot as that's what my high school used to work with since one scene section was broken, heh. Still did the job.
Our 48/96 Colortran "Innovator" can hold up to 144, IIRC. We only have 76 lights, a few of which don't work. It's enough to get the job done, but I wish we had more.

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:What song was that playing? Fucking righteous tune to go with that christmas-light wankage!
Wizards in Winter - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Beowulf wrote:
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:What song was that playing? Fucking righteous tune to go with that christmas-light wankage!
Got it, just couldn't be arsed to post so. Thanks :kiss:
Image Image
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:<snip>
Our 48/96 Colortran "Innovator" can hold up to 144, IIRC. We only have 76 lights, a few of which don't work. It's enough to get the job done, but I wish we had more.
5 bucks says it's either 128, 192, or 256, only because most of the boards on the market today are all digital inside.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

That has soooo got to piss of the neighbors.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Was I the only one that was cracked up by that? I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the lights flashing to the music that I found wierd.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Soontir C'boath

Beowulf wrote:
I should've know it was them. I definitely have to get their cds.