Worst Sci-fi

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Worst Sci-fi

Post by ray245 »

What is the worst Sci-fi you
-Seen?
-Read?

For me, I would be almost all science fiction in my home country singapore, not that I don't support my country authors, but they are just have no idea of what correctly defined a science fiction. For most of the books I read, the authors did not even understand the logic of science.

One of them is about Singapore vanished completely because some weird alien 'vanishing' beam hit singapore, and those alien come from the 6th dimension, and the day was saved thanks a kid and the alien princess who manage to destroy the weapon. To me, it looks like the author does not even have a basic idea what dimension mean and all alien technology is just pure wank.
Did I mention that in the next book, an alien warlord wanted to start world war 3 by the president of united states and proclaiming that the world should be under the control of USA, which pissed the chinese off.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Seen- Battle field Earth, or the first seasonor two of Enterprise.
Read- the second Dune prequel trilogy, all of it :shock: .

Usually I avoid bad sci-fi quite easily nowadays, the Dune was caused by my being a robot/Dune fanatic, causing a temporary lapse of critical judgement skills :oops:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I've managed to avoid most bad sci-fi. Still hit some real disgusting ones, though.

Seen: "Legend of the Rangers"
Read: "Timewatch" (An Orson Scott Card book that's not "Ender's Game")
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Civil War Man wrote:Seen: "Legend of the Rangers"
That's the one with the weird DBZ sequence, right?

That clip is hands down simply one of the worst things I have ever seen.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I honestly can't say I've seen all that much bad sci-fi, and most of the bad stuff I have seen I watched deliberately to MST3K it.

The worst I've read is "Battlefield Earth." The first book I couldn't slog my way through (and only one other's been added to the list since, but it doesn't really count).
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Zardoz. Not "bad" in a "haha, look at the cardboard set" way, nor in the "escape the quantum crack horizon singularity" way, but just...uncomprehensibly bad. Emphasis on "incomprehensible".
Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Post by Luzifer's right hand »

Ah Zardoz. Sean Connery's best movie.

Seen- Mission Stardust
Read- Unto Leviathan
I asked The Lord, "Why hath thou forsaken me?" And He spoke unto me saying, "j00 R n00b 4 3VR", And I was like "stfu -_-;;"
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

Seen - 'Space Mutiny'. Where the space combat scenes are outtakes from Battlestar Galactica and the finale is a chase scene in futuristic golf carts in an oil refinery.

Read - Time enough for love. OK, OK, Rob. I get the idea. Lazarus is a survivor. Now can something interesting happen, please?
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Luzifer's right hand wrote:Ah Zardoz. Sean Connery's best movie.

[snip Connery in diaper]
And just when you thought that movie couldn't get more fucked up... :D
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Gebus, someone must've paid Connery in billion dollar bills to make that.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Gebus, someone must've paid Connery in billion dollar bills to make that.
Actually, they got him for cheap because he felt the role would prevent him being typecast a "suave spy" after the Bond films.
CoyoteNature
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere between insanity, inteligence and foolishness

Post by CoyoteNature »

BSG 1980 worst show I'd seen.

Worst novel well frankly I have a love for the cheese and the bad, So I never really had one.

Just have to be crazy enough to view it from a certain perspective and thought.

BSG 1980 was just bad because they repeated the same thing over and over; and that made it just plain boring.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm sure about the latter.

Albert Einstein

Brains, brains, brainsssssssssssssssss uggggg, brains.

Brains
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Bounty wrote:Zardoz. Not "bad" in a "haha, look at the cardboard set" way, nor in the "escape the quantum crack horizon singularity" way, but just...uncomprehensibly bad. Emphasis on "incomprehensible".
I liked that movie...
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

I have actually seen Plan 9 from Outer Space. It is terrible :cry:
(unless you're in that mood, of course)

Zardoz is more weird than bad, in my opinion.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

I have a 6th sense about bad sci-fi, so I've never really seen much. Except for the occasional VOY ep I see on at night, or Plan 9. Yeesh.
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Mansquito. Need I really say more?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Seen: Battlefield Earth, hands down. It is hands down the worst movie I have ever seen period, with The Big Bounce coming in a close second.

Read: Since I don't want to piss off the Ringworld fans in the audience, I'll just say that I found it excessively dull. However, the very very worst sci-fi I have ever read in my entire life has to be...HAS to be...a tie between The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton and The New Rebellion by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I once read this novel which was a compendium of short stories about people getting possessed by aliens. It gets old.
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

Dalton wrote:Seen: Battlefield Earth, hands down. It is hands down the worst movie I have ever seen period, with The Big Bounce coming in a close second.

Read: Since I don't want to piss off the Ringworld fans in the audience, I'll just say that I found it excessively dull. However, the very very worst sci-fi I have ever read in my entire life has to be...HAS to be...a tie between The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton and The New Rebellion by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
What? The worst? Granted, these are hardly the crown jewels of SW EU, but compared to The Crystal Star -- which, among other things, introduced Centaurs :roll: into the SW universe -- they aren't really that bad. The New Rebellion was actually enjoyable on repeated readings.

My submissions:
Watched: Matrix: Revolutions
Read: Although the aforementioned The Crystal Star comes close, nothing matches the sheer boredom level of Stranger in a Strange Land. From my experience of Heinlein, his novels are either really good, or they completely suck. Stranger in a Strange Land falls into the second category.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

I have to say Battlefield Earth for both worst seen and worst read sci-fi. I've seen plenty of bad movies but BE takes the cake for the worst, and I couldn't even finish the book.
Image[
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Why do people hate Battlefield Earth so much? Is it because it doesn't make any sense at all? I mean it is kind of stupid in many ways, including the redicoulous concept of a nuclear weapon sterilizing a planet, let alone blowing it to pieces. Yet I don't see anything that would warrant such large dislike for the movie.

Worst Sci-Fi ever seen:
A Sci-Fi channel original production, I don't recal what it was called, but bunch of buglike aliens take over the Earth. They have a bunch of poorly designed energy weapons, think Stargate TV-show type staff weapons, but the bolts travel slower but do a bit more damage. In any case, they get owned by a bunch of humans using bows arrows and swords. What particularly irked me was the acting, the special effects, the script, it was all huge mounds of suckitude.

Worst Sci-Fi ever read:
I have yet to read any sci-fi that I did not like.

[quote"Adrian Laguna]Worst Sci-Fi ever seen:
-snip-[/quote]
Well, what a surprise. I think I now know why people dislike BE. Though that Sci-Fi Channel abortion of a TV movie that I saw was much, much, worse than anything you might object to in BE. Seriusly, the only reason I even saw any part of it was because I was waiting for "Man With the Screaming Brain" to start.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Dalton wrote:Seen: Battlefield Earth, hands down. It is hands down the worst movie I have ever seen period, with The Big Bounce coming in a close second.
I haven't seen 'Battlefield Earth', but I've read the novel it was based on. And just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I was introduced to L. Ron Hubbard's 'Mission Earth' series. (I first read the novels when I was in a mental hospital-- I was bored-- so you can understand what kind of mentality you must be in to actually want to read Hubbard's crap.)
'The Courtship of Princess Leia'-- which should've been titled 'The Feminazi Propaganda Set In the Star Wars Galaxy So Its Scientifically Ignorant Author Can Make Money'-- was what killed my interest in licensed novels. Having it follow up the Thrawn Trilogy was a disappointment as great as having 'The Matrix Revolutions' follow up the original movie. (I actually enjoyed 'Reloaded'.)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Read: Battlefield Earth. An unexceptional concept that might have been reasonably explored in a 300 page book was instead stretched out into a ponderous, endless epic of yawn-inducing filler. Although the first installment of the Butlerian Jihad trilogy will also always occupy an especially dark and putrid place in my heart.

Watched: Supernova. Where does one even begin? I suspect Horror Planet (also known as Inseminoid) and Humanoids From the Deep are probably worse but I'd rather walk into the local Inquisitorium office with a HORUS RULES t-shirt and turn myself in for arcoflagellation than actually watch them.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Luzifer's right hand wrote:Ah Zardoz. Sean Connery's best movie.

[img]pic[/img]
... the hell? :wtf:
Kenoshi
Youngling

Post by Kenoshi »

Worst SciFi that I've seen would probably have to the Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers. There have been worse movies, certainly, but it was a huge letdown because I had high hopes for it. Between the cheap special effects (they didn't have any of the CGI models of the ships from the original series so all the ships looked like ass), the lame introduction to the crew (felt like sitting in on a self help class), the unoriginal storyline (yet another race of malevolent First Ones screwing with us), and the whole thing with the zero gee virtual weapon control thingy (hence the Dragon Ball Z moment there)...well, it was pain.

As far as what I've read...probably the first Dune prequel. Only read the first because it was bad enough that I was scared away from the rest. It was nothing more than a lousy fanfic, IMHO.
I like frogs!