"Sheriff John Brown"

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

"Sheriff John Brown"

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

ok I am absolutly sure this has to be slang for something as the name keeps cropping up in folk/blues/raggae music.

to be exact:

midnight Special: leadbelly
Bad Boys (theme song for cops)
ballad of billy the kid
various outlaw ballads
I shot the sheriff: bob marley

and other musical refrences. where the hell does the name originally come from and what does it mean besides a hard ass merciless cop?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

It could refer to a John Brown who failed to incite a major slave revolt in the American South in the 1850s (I think), but that wouldn't make too much sense. Maybe one of those songs was the first to use the term and other songs followed suit as an homage, like the name "Major Tom."
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Or like what people do when you don't know who it is who is dead in front of them, they call them "John Doe" or "Jane Doe".

It's probably just a random name that is well known to be used in songs or movies etc...
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

StarshipTitanic wrote:It could refer to a John Brown who failed to incite a major slave revolt in the American South in the 1850s (I think), but that wouldn't make too much sense. Maybe one of those songs was the first to use the term and other songs followed suit as an homage, like the name "Major Tom."
Major Tom? I came across a rather interesting sounding MIDI with that name but could never figure out where the name came from.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Ground control, to Major Tom...
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

RogueIce wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:It could refer to a John Brown who failed to incite a major slave revolt in the American South in the 1850s (I think), but that wouldn't make too much sense. Maybe one of those songs was the first to use the term and other songs followed suit as an homage, like the name "Major Tom."
Major Tom? I came across a rather interesting sounding MIDI with that name but could never figure out where the name came from.
Here you go.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."