Types of carriers from my incomplete novel

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Types of carriers from my incomplete novel

Post by Enigma »

I've been dabbling on the kinds of ships that would be used or present in my novel that I am trying to write and I would like your input. Thanks.

Fighter Carrier Small
L:17.5 km
W:5km
H:3.7km

Fighter Carrier Medium
L:760km
W:160km
H:120km

Fighter Carrier Large
L:10,000km
W:1,500km
H:2,000km
(you can see the size comparison between the FCL and the FCM & FCS. :))

Yes the carriers are huge and quite powerful (ignore the stats on the bottom of the pages.) but in my novel it takes place in the very far future in which multiple galaxies have been colonized and any battles fought tend to have thousands to millions of ships (not including fighters) so these carriers would be used to deliver as many fighters possible and yet still slug it out against other ships.

Comments?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Re: Types of carriers from my incomplete novel

Post by Master of Cards »

Enigma wrote:I've been dabbling on the kinds of ships that would be used or present in my novel that I am trying to write and I would like your input. Thanks.

Fighter Carrier Small
L:17.5 km
W:5km
H:3.7km

Fighter Carrier Medium
L:760km
W:160km
H:120km

Fighter Carrier Large
L:10,000km
W:1,500km
H:2,000km
(you can see the size comparison between the FCL and the FCM & FCS. :))

Yes the carriers are huge and quite powerful (ignore the stats on the bottom of the pages.) but in my novel it takes place in the very far future in which multiple galaxies have been colonized and any battles fought tend to have thousands to millions of ships (not including fighters) so these carriers would be used to deliver as many fighters possible and yet still slug it out against other ships.

Comments?
Do you mean meters?
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

No, look at the first ship's dimensions.

If your ships are thousands of kilometers in length, I don't see the use of a fighter in any sort of battle. A battlefield would literally be a solar system's volume worth of ships.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

StarshipTitanic wrote:No, look at the first ship's dimensions.

If your ships are thousands of kilometers in length, I don't see the use of a fighter in any sort of battle. A battlefield would literally be a solar system's volume worth of ships.
I'm not so sure. If it was indeed km, the medium-sized ship's largest hangar would be nearly 100km long. I suppose that's possible, in this context... but crazy huge.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Noble Ire wrote:I'm not so sure. If it was indeed km, the medium-sized ship's largest hangar would be nearly 100km long. I suppose that's possible, in this context... but crazy huge.
He wrote:Yes the carriers are huge
It wouldn't make sense for the smallest to be 17.6 meters in length, he meant kilometers. I'd prefer a 10 km long carrier, though.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

What in the world could a fighter carry that would be a threat to a 10,000 kilometer long ship? Fighters in space are already a brainbug, and in a universe where ships like these are possible they're even less suitable for combat. Either the fighters are too weak to harm the ships, and hence a waste of money, or the ships are enormous fragile targets, and hence a waste of money.

And the multi-thousand kilomoter long wank-o-guns just look silly.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Seriously, though, those numbers simply don't make any sense.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

What's their firepower?
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

fgalkin wrote:[img]://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/fgalkin/Smileys/epenis2ej.jpg[/img]

Seriously, though, those numbers simply don't make any sense.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Why thank you for your delightful contribution.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

RedImperator wrote:What in the world could a fighter carry that would be a threat to a 10,000 kilometer long ship? Fighters in space are already a brainbug, and in a universe where ships like these are possible they're even less suitable for combat. Either the fighters are too weak to harm the ships, and hence a waste of money, or the ships are enormous fragile targets, and hence a waste of money.

And the multi-thousand kilomoter long wank-o-guns just look silly.
Well these are rough drafts but the larger ships are intended to be used in battles outside the galaxies or in hte void between systems. In my novel, basically mega corporations rule everything and to keep what they have they must have a large fleet. I have plans for other carrier types that carry capital ships into battle. Hmm... I could reconfigure the medium and large carriers and make them carry frigates destroyers and leave the small one for the fighters.

These aren't wank tastic ships but when you have conglomerates owning galaxies and making money like crazy they don't think small, they think big. In my novel's universe, people can have virtually anything they want and do not necessarily have to settle for a little. Think of decadence on a multi galactic scale. Anyways, I will be soon posting a short story based in my novel's universe and you'll get an understanding on how a battle takes place.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

NoXion wrote:What's their firepower?
Early estimates put the combined firepower of a large carrier into hundreds of peta-tons\sec. But if you look at the ship you notice large spaces between the laser strips (black strips). Those gaps are hundreds of kilometers apart so I will be fixing that.

The early estimates for the light carrier is 8.9e22TW. I forgot how to convert that into MT. I do not know if that is too much firepower or too little.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Enigma wrote:The early estimates for the light carrier is 8.9e22TW. I forgot how to convert that into MT. I do not know if that is too much firepower or too little.
21,271,510,516,252,388,376 Megatons.

Totally rediculous wank.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

It might make much more sense as 8.9e22W. That's just ridiculous. 28 Gadjillion MT?

How exactly would you write a novel about 100 million ships that are hundreds of millions of meters long fighting, anyhow? Abandon the idea of "main character"? Focus on the travails of actually supplying individual cities within the giant thing?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

NecronLord wrote:
Enigma wrote:The early estimates for the light carrier is 8.9e22TW. I forgot how to convert that into MT. I do not know if that is too much firepower or too little.

Totally rediculous wank.
Or, to put it in other terms, 8.9e34 W. That's a lot of energy - much more than required to, say, blow Earth-like planets up into asteroid fields.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Well...to be fair, in the Mutineer's Moon universe they have moon scale battleships with the firepower to vaporize the Earth many times over, and missiles than can take out stars and planets. And the bad guys had millions of ships in their main fleet.

So its not unheard of.

Enigma i would still suggest making the largest ships 'just' hundreds of km. Thats far more easy to buy. That and downing the weapons, WAY down.

Even the Skylark universe wasnt that overpowered. :shock:
(Those who read the books know what i mean)
Kanye West Saves.

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

NecronLord wrote:

Totally rediculous wank.
Hey I did say they were early estimates. So since it is too much then I will tone it down quite a bit.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

MRDOD wrote:It might make much more sense as 8.9e22W. That's just ridiculous. 28 Gadjillion MT?

How exactly would you write a novel about 100 million ships that are hundreds of millions of meters long fighting, anyhow? Abandon the idea of "main character"? Focus on the travails of actually supplying individual cities within the giant thing?
No the main character will be involved but for a bit the main character will take part in the battle but something will happen that he'll abandon the fight to pursue his objective. I'll be describing the battle to a point but it will not be the main point.

Toning it down from TW to W sounds like a good idea. :) Thanks.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

That neck on the medium one looks a bit fragile. Is there a reason for it?
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:That neck on the medium one looks a bit fragile. Is there a reason for it?
Considering the dimensions of the ship, it's fragile in the extreme! Remember, Materials strength scales to the square (cross-sectional/loadbearing AREA), but mass squares to the cube (Volume!)
Image Image
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:That neck on the medium one looks a bit fragile. Is there a reason for it?
The neck is pretty thick compared to the rest of the ship. Not much in it other than power conduits, super structure, hull plating, armour and a few corridors mainly used to get to the front end or to fix anything in the neck area. It is also to separate between the hangar bay and many weapons in the front.

Then again it is just a draft of the ship and can be changed. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
Considering the dimensions of the ship, it's fragile in the extreme! Remember, Materials strength scales to the square (cross-sectional/loadbearing AREA), but mass squares to the cube (Volume!)
Care to explain a bit? My mind isn't quite up to speed.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

He means the material the ships would be composed of would have to be insanely strong and dense. Further reason fighters would be utterly insignificant. They couldn't even do damage as a human-guided missile.

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

StarshipTitanic wrote:He means the material the ships would be composed of would have to be insanely strong and dense. Further reason fighters would be utterly insignificant. They couldn't even do damage as a human-guided missile.
Gotcha. I've been mulling over to make the large and medium carriers as fleet carriers. In other words, the Large carriers would bring with them, dreadnoughts, battleships, battlecruisers, cruisers and the like while the medium carrier would carry, frigates and destroyers and the like.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Red Star
Padawan Learner

Post by Red Star »

Maybe in your story, have it that only the carriers can cross the void between the galaxies, and make some technobabble for the reason (So many other sci-fi novelists have).
The small carrier would be reasonable for fighting within the galaxy but the massive ones to me would be so impractical and such a big target.
Have the two large carriers capable of shipping an entire fleet between galaxies, and have that their only role.
I become death, destroyer of worlds.

Rule 37: "There is no 'Overkill.' There is only 'Open Fire' and 'I Need to Reload.'"
Schlock Mercenary
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Enigma wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:He means the material the ships would be composed of would have to be insanely strong and dense. Further reason fighters would be utterly insignificant. They couldn't even do damage as a human-guided missile.
Gotcha. I've been mulling over to make the large and medium carriers as fleet carriers. In other words, the Large carriers would bring with them, dreadnoughts, battleships, battlecruisers, cruisers and the like while the medium carrier would carry, frigates and destroyers and the like.
still to be able to build mosters like this means that materail in every single ship must so advanced/strong that any fighters would a waste of resoureces.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n