I think I just figured out a videogame movie that could work

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

DEATH wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Ok, want a Video Game that could really work as a Movie?

Metroid...

Seriously! Between the backstory you can put in concerning Samus and the Spacepirates attacking her colony. Her being raised by the Chozo, and of course the backstory of the Metroids themselves, you actually have enough aspects for a worth while "plot" Plus...

It has
Explsions,
Chicks in Power armour,
Lots of weapons,
Spaceships,
More explosions,
And a big Brain Monster at the end.

Perfect Summer Blockbuster!
They allready made a metroid movie- alien.
Kidding, seriosly Metroid is tailor made for a movie or 4, but they'd want a man in the suit, or constant strip scenes (one would be enough :wink: ), and would otherwise fuck it up.
It really is tailor made for a trilogy or five-ology, with the greater threat revealed, monsters, Babe, Metroids, Space (ninja) Pirates, massive monsters and a built in large amount of disposable extras (the contingent of galactic marines who always end up slaughtered before Samus arrives)
If they ever made a Metroid movie, they would be a fool to recast Samus as a guy... I will admit though that keeping her as 'her' They will no doubt try and insert some shamless stripe/nudie scene in it. But I always thought it did have potential for a good movie series, a trilogy would work well...

But who could you trust to devlope it properly?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

But who could you trust to devlope it properly?
James Cameron, or Ridley scott :P .

Jackson wouldn't do (his bad camerawork and editing in KK annoy me, he should stick with the mere Halo movie), Spielberg wouldn't do it, and I don't know any other good directors who'd do a sci fi nowadays (Lucas's staff wouldn't get invloved in 25 millenia :wink: ).
They will no doubt try and insert some shamless stripe/nudie scene in it
Probably the only reason that she'll stay a she, can't blame them though, Big Power armour+ Blond super tall biologically enhanced women=hawt :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

I will go out on a limb and predict that there will not be a good game->movie translation until the generations that came of age playing videogames are running Hollywood. I willing to bet that the vast majority of the people who actually greenlight movies and make decisions on them don't play videogames and have no respect for them as a medium. I think this is evident both in the status of videogame movies as low-quality attempts to grab cash from the gamer market, and in the near-universal worthlessness of videogames based on movies.

Perhaps the first brush with what could happen in the future would be the Chronicles of Riddick. The movie was so-so but fun. However, Escape from Butcher Bay is supposed to be pretty much the best videogame adaptation of a movie in gaming history (maybe the first really good game in the genre). This was almost certainly due to the heavy involvement of producer Vin Diesel, who is an avid gamer.

I think a large part of the problem on both sides of this issue (games based on movies, and movies based on games) is that the people in positions of control tend to regard them as a "can't miss proposition" and also lack respect for videogames. I'm willing to bet that the people who fucked up the DOOM movie were looking at the sales records for DOOM III, and the number of people who fondly remember original DOOM, and thinking that they couldn't possibly lose--and that there was no impetus to stay close to the DOOM storyline (basic as it was) because it was a video game and therefore not worthy of attention.

There's a strong reason now to make videogames into movies, because gaming has become a really quite huge and profitable industry. But I think they will continue being crappy until gamers are making movies. I have high hopes for the Halo movie, which is supposed to come out in 2007. It has a clearly defined plot basis, a large potential market, and will probably be built on top of piles of Microsoft money.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

I think a KOTOR movie could be very good if it is done properly. The story of KOTOR is way better then the prequel SW films, close to the original triology in terms of quality in my personal opinion. The plot twist alone makes a KOTOR film worth it. Who could expect the true identity of the protagonist being so shocking.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Chances are, the next movie based on a game will be:

TETRIS!

There will be a few detractors, saying that the revenue will be twice as high as expected the first week, then normal revenue for the second and third weeks, and nothing.

Other people claim that it will likely be twice as high as expected for two weeks, then nothing afterwards.

The best case for a Tetris movie would be where it either gets really high views (4 times what they expected) the first week, and nothing after that; or average views, but it lasts for 4 weeks. Either of those options would provide the most 'points' to the movie.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Perhaps the first brush with what could happen in the future would be the Chronicles of Riddick. The movie was so-so but fun. However, Escape from Butcher Bay is supposed to be pretty much the best videogame adaptation of a movie in gaming history (maybe the first really good game in the genre). This was almost certainly due to the heavy involvement of producer Vin Diesel, who is an avid gamer.
Excuse me...have you ever played Aladdin on the Genesis or SNES? Those were pretty darn good games, especially the music in the Genesis one.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.