Best looking ship

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

atg
Jedi Master

Best looking ship

Post by atg »

Since we've got a best looking fighter thread why not a best looking ship?

Personally I like some of the big German ships of WW2 especially the scharnhorst class
http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

The Mighty Kirov!

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

HMS Hood

Just look at it...
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The Imperial ship Yamato
Nothing else needs to be said.
Last edited by Crossroads Inc. on 2005-12-29 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Iowa Class.

Specifically, the USS Iowa.

Pwned.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Dammit, Chardok! I was about to post that!
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Post by Luzifer's right hand »

The Visby-class corvette looks nice futuristic.

I asked The Lord, "Why hath thou forsaken me?" And He spoke unto me saying, "j00 R n00b 4 3VR", And I was like "stfu -_-;;"
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:The Imperial ship Yamato
Nothing else needs to be said.
-snip-
I think that might be the Musashi, I can't see the rear deck very well so can't tell for sure. The Yamato has two main guns on the back quarter. The Musashi only one and a larger hanger os spotter aircraft(if I ever finish that model....)

But they are both the same mostly
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

SMS Derfflinger: Symmetry, a greyhound's elegance, brooding power, all tastefully combined!
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Darth Bowser
Youngling

Post by Darth Bowser »

I've always been fond of the never built Montana class.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I'll let my sig and avatar speak for themselves here; Imperator Aleksandr III. 8)
Isolder74 wrote:I think that might be the Musashi, I can't see the rear deck very well so can't tell for sure. The Yamato has two main guns on the back quarter. The Musashi only one and a larger hanger os spotter aircraft(if I ever finish that model....)

But they are both the same mostly
The main armament layout on Yamato and Musashi were identical; nine 18.1 inch guns.
Both ships were nearly identical in all respects until their refits. That model is defintely Yamato, it's been the topic of several discussions at modeling websites.
During the refit both ships lost their amidships 6 inch triple turrets; Yamato received a more intensive AAA battery with more light turrets where Musashi recieved a completely different fit of light guns.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Only lines sexier than a sailing ship's are a lady's.

USS Constitution for the ignorant masses.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Oh mama./.... Poppa Likes..

Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
AK_Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by AK_Jedi »

Not exactly a ship, but I just love the 49er.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Tico. Beautiful lines, sexy hull, and some serious shit kicking ability. Although, I do have to agree with Lonestar to a degree, in that tall ships are gorgeous.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Lonestar wrote:Image

I'll second that opinion...
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Knife wrote: Tico. Beautiful lines, sexy hull, and some serious shit kicking ability. Although, I do have to agree with Lonestar to a degree, in that tall ships are gorgeous.
I think Tico's are okay but they're really just jumped up Spru-cans. :D

I actually think the older versions with the missile rails looked a little cooler than the ones with VLS.

I guess between the Ticos, Spruance and Kidds I just saw too much of this hull. The Ticos especially looked top heavy to me. Not as much as the Long Beach but still pretty bad. I actually like some of the older cruisers better. For some reason I liked the "ramp" that the missiles came out of to restock the rails on the Belknap class. I just always thought they looked cool. For that matter twin missile rails just look cool but there's something wrong about "one armed bandits" that makes them just look goofy. :)

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/belknap.gif

While low and lean the Belknap class kind of sucks because the gun is in the back and the AA Missiles are in the front.

I'm also a fan of the old Pegasus class PHMs when they are up on foils. When on their hulls they seem a bit too much llike an armed tug boat.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I like the clean lines. The smooth fore deck and the the structure. It's a definate change from the LPD's and LST's I was used to.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I have have to give three. The Constitution, a Tico, and then this:

An Arleigh Burke DDG.

EDIT: Fuck it, Duchess already killed any hope of formatting this page had anyway. :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

The Vasa

The only ship of the line ever that sunk witout a battle, got hauled up from the bottom of the sea after 350years and is now on display in Stockholm.

Read More Here
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

What about the Mary Rose of Henry VIII's reign? Thought that simply capsized due to weight without even firing a shot?
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Seven Provinces-class Air Defence and Command frigate. Clean lines and badassery = win.

I'd put up a picture of the 17th century spice ship "Batavia", but apparently nobody on the Internet found it neccesary to put up pictures that do not suck complete and total ass.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

http://jdroger.com/taweb/TAS/ARTICLES/arleigh2.jpg

http://jdroger.com/taweb/TAS/ARTICLES/arleigh1.jpg

Arleigh Burke, followed by:

http://jdroger.com/taweb/TAS/ARTICLES/ent&artic.jpg

USS Enterprise. There's just something about that ship that I love.

Third place for me:

http://jdroger.com/taweb/TAS/ARTICLES/untitled6.jpg

Tico.

Yes, I'm a US Navy ship lover.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Tranan
Jedi Knight

Post by Tranan »

El Moose Monstero wrote:What about the Mary Rose of Henry VIII's reign? Thought that simply capsized due to weight without even firing a shot?
yes but the mary rose is in a sorry state, the vasa is in icredebale shape. moste of the parts are orginal. and those that isent org. is clarly marked.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

LordChaos wrote:
Lonestar wrote:Image

I'll second that opinion...
hell yeah, back when Men were men, and Ships were Ships

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin