Something that can crush an ISD in one shot

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

guyver
Padawan Learner

Something that can crush an ISD in one shot

Post by guyver »

I think I have found something that can kill an ISD in one shot............

and it is not Star Wars.........

IT IS.........

THE SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO (ARGO)

Star Blazers Theme (English Series 1)

We're off to outer space, we're leaving Mother Earth
To save the human race. Our Star Blazers.
Searching for a distant star, heading off to Iscandar
Leaving all we love behind, who knows what dangers we'll find?
We must be strong and brave, our home we've got to save.
If we don't, in just one year, Mother Earth will disappear
Fighting with the Gamalons, we won't stop until we've won
Then we'll return, and when we arrive
The Earth will survive with our Star Blazers.
PRESSURE CANON!

Warwolves CO
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

That's an anime, right?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Yup, Main gun equals a weak Eclipse Laser, however it has no shielding.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
guyver
Padawan Learner

Post by guyver »

Shinova wrote:That's an anime, right?
Yup

One of the first great Anime Space series.

It was called Starblazers in the US.

The ship had a gun called the Wave Motion gun (notice big hole in front of ship) the gun could kill pretty much anything.
PRESSURE CANON!

Warwolves CO
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

:lol: :lol:
Damn! I remember this series, it was great seeing the Yamato going through space and firing that big cannon! It's been quite a few (decades?) since I last saw it...
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Renewed_Valour1
Padawan Learner

Re: Something that can crush an ISD in one shot

Post by Renewed_Valour1 »

guyver wrote:I think I have found something that can kill an ISD in one shot............
and it is not Star Wars.........
Many things can do that.....
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Okay why is it shaped like that?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Because it looks like a battlecrusier.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Yamato Cannon, aye?

Thought Bubble wrote: Image
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Kettch
Padawan Learner

Post by Kettch »

SDF 1, SDF 2, SDF 3, Zentradi Monitor....
Just as big Main Guns
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Can you provide raw data that any of these ships have Teraton damage cannons? :roll:

and before one spews well the SDF-1 can destroy anything...at one point the main gun RAKES the hull of a Zentradi warship...not obilterate, but merely hurt...and you would still have to provide the data of it doing over 20TT+ worth of damage since it not only has to go through the shields but has to completely destroy said craft.

so as the saying goes...NEXT.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Ghost Rider wrote:so as the saying goes...NEXT.
Capital D

Or just the Skylark Three for the heck of it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Well some I can accept and but just saying SDF-1...the show has contradictions on how much the main weapon does...which is my problems saying that particular show.

I mean when someone goes gridfire...I don't think proof that the Vorlons are going to rip through those Culture bastards!!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Kettch
Padawan Learner

Post by Kettch »

The SDF Main Gun is kinda quirky, your're not even sure if it will work.

I'd say the contradictions are in part due to its little under stood & Jury Repaired nature.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Ahh, the Wave Motion Gun.

Anyone know what the actual firepower calcs of this gun are?

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Obliterated the Asteriod Ceres (Largest asteriod in the Mars belt)

Later models that fought the cmomet empire had two of them, and did d/s to the shields. However the Yamoto blew the Comet empire a new one by attacking the lower half of their base.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

MD device from Ender's game should do it. Jack Chalker has some sort of funky "Equation Nullifying" weapon in his Well World novels that not only would kill an ISD but would wipe out a Death Star just as easily (it's a technobabble cheat to do it though.) Saberhagen's "Berserkers" should have the firepower to do it: their planet-killers should be on the level of an Eclipse in firepower (and some mount C+ cannons, which are faster-than-light railguns.) In Larry Niven's Known Space you have a ship-sized disintegrator that blasted a chunk out of a continent: that may or may not do it. I personally think that the Technocore ships in Simmons' "Hyperion" novels have the firepower it would take, but I don't know if anyone's ever done calcs on their firepower or if it's even possible to get numbers from the novels, so don't hold me to that. You'd also have to figure out whether or not Deathbeams would penetrate an ISDs shields, since they kill through a projected tear in hyperspace or some such.

Oh yeah: those of you who game: what do you think the chances of the ships from "Rifts: Phase World" would be?
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Absolutely none, I've calculated Phase world Battleship firepower to be about 35 Tons of TNT, with their Cruise Missiles being about 2.8 tons. Even allowing for game physics, you have to up the firepower by a factor of a million for them to compete with Star Trek, and muliple billions to be able to play with Star Wars. Ftl speeds are far in excess of Star Trek, but still woefully deficient against Star Wars.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Ghost Rider wrote:Can you provide raw data that any of these ships have Teraton damage cannons? :roll:

and before one spews well the SDF-1 can destroy anything...at one point the main gun RAKES the hull of a Zentradi warship...not obilterate, but merely hurt...and you would still have to provide the data of it doing over 20TT+ worth of damage since it not only has to go through the shields but has to completely destroy said craft.

so as the saying goes...NEXT.
The best that was done was on SB by Outofstep, using the first firing of the gun, where the beam vaporizes a cliffside, untold millions of gallons of water, then blows through a Zentraedi scoutship, also melting the one next to it.

http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/showt ... d=19435&s=
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Sorry, that should be 35 tons of TNT for the heviest Battleship cannon available,and 3.5 tons for an antimatter cruise missile, the Shielding of a Protector class BB would be equivalent to 228 tons of TNT, recovering 11.4 tons per second. The hull would be able to take about 630 tons before the ship is rendered combat ineffective.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Oh and in the last episode when it couldn't destroy Khyron's battle crusier even though it hit it DEAD on?!

Sorry the point of the matter is the SDF-1 gun was doing okay until that final silly point to which anyone who claims it's the ultimate weapon and kill a ISD in one shot has to wonder...so why they did it just completely fuck up(and before one goes it was weakened...prove this somewhere in dialogue).

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Ghost Rider wrote:Oh and in the last episode when it couldn't destroy Khyron's battle crusier even though it hit it DEAD on?!

Sorry the point of the matter is the SDF-1 gun was doing okay until that final silly point to which anyone who claims it's the ultimate weapon and kill a ISD in one shot has to wonder...so why they did it just completely fuck up(and before one goes it was weakened...prove this somewhere in dialogue).
Actually, the gun missed. If you look at the final Macross and first Southern Cross episodes, you can see that the beam only rakes along it's side.

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Gee...thank you for your concession...given that in the episode you're talking about...the SDF-1 main gun's wake crushes the Zentradi crusiers.

So what is it? Aplot hole that makes no sense with continuity?

Literally one episode we are shown it's wake can kill...another...literally as close as dead on as it could've been short of ramming up the middle and wha

Khyron's ship is not only not dead but it has enough to still survive plowing forward.

Not really a good concise piece of evidence.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Because it looks like a battlecrusier.
No, because its suppose to be built off the raised hull of the IJN battleship Yamato. Sunk in 1945.

This was before we knew the wreck was in three pieces, crushed and totally blown to hell however. Given that the blast from the main magazines going off sent up a mushroom cloud, it's not that surprising.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Ghost Rider wrote:Gee...thank you for your concession...given that in the episode you're talking about...the SDF-1 main gun's wake crushes the Zentradi crusiers.

So what is it? Aplot hole that makes no sense with continuity?

Literally one episode we are shown it's wake can kill...another...literally as close as dead on as it could've been short of ramming up the middle and wha

Khyron's ship is not only not dead but it has enough to still survive plowing forward.

Not really a good concise piece of evidence.
That's because Zentraedi command ships are that tough(You're trying to compare a Scout ship to a Command Ship). Remember, these ships often took headers into the ground at the end of the war, and were often completely intact.

So they had the ability to stand up to a shot from a weakened ship(why do tho think they never fired the sucker in "Force of Arms?" They even say as much in the novels) that didn't have the time to fully charge it's gun.