writing fight scenes

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

writing fight scenes

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

I'm writing a Matrix fanfiction right now, and I'm having trouble writing the fight scenes. I'm not sure how much I should describe the action, so I'm considering on trying a completely ludicrous yet awesome way. Does anyone have any pointers?
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

If it's awesome, then go for it. When I write fight scenes, I tend to use runon sentences, which might or might not work. If it's short, you can describe it blow-by-blow; otherwise, you might want to go the way of the Inigo Montoya vs. Wesley fight in Princess Bride, which, IMHO, is one of the best-written fight scenes ever.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I generally describe fights from the perspective of one of the combatants, although not to the extent that it becomes a first-person narrative. To clarify, I mean rather than saying "the combatants warred back and forth across the room, neither one able to land a blow on the other", I would likely write "The man gave ground to the other, and then swiftly retook it, all the while searching his opponent for some small weakness, a foot hold. There was none."

Oh, and if you want insanely awesome, go for it.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I try to have any big description of what is going on before fight starts, so my scenes can be spar and hectic. I would advise writing the scene a couple of different ways and then going with the way that you like best.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I've got an untitled piece somewhere in the FF forum that is nothing more than a series of hand-to-hand set pieces written from first person. I should really get back to that one at some point.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Untitled Genre Piece, a little test story of mine.
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

The most important thing is that you see the environment and the initial and final states of both combatants very clearly in your mind.

Once you have that, the fight is going to write itself, and then you can reread it, see how it appears in your mind, and make changes to get the feel you want across.

Acting out some parts might also help.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik