Look What I Found Under a Rock

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Why do I have the feeling Gaheris is about to get in way the hell over his head again? :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

'Land on him like a Netherese city'
Congrats, you got Nitram laughing so hard he had to sit down. :lol:

You know that Kaeryn could also help a little with decoding the slab, right? ;)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

LadyTevar wrote: You know that Kaeryn could also help a little with decoding the slab, right? ;)
To have any hope of decoding the slab one needs to have mastered elvish and demonic spell symbiology and the ability to make Knowledge: Arcana and Spellcraft checks at DC: 40+.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: You know that Kaeryn could also help a little with decoding the slab, right? ;)
To have any hope of decoding the slab one needs to have mastered elvish and demonic spell symbiology and the ability to make Knowledge: Arcana and Spellcraft checks at DC: 40+.
:shock: ...
Did you post your character sheet somewhere ? Just curious :P
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The Nomad wrote: :shock: ...
Did you post your character sheet somewhere ? Just curious :P
As of the beginning of the story (mixed 3.0/3.5 campaign) some basic numbers

*=magic item augmented

Nalifan Nec 14/Arch-mage 4/Drow Paragon 3
Str: 24* Con: 24* Dex: 26* Int: 35* Wis: 15 Cha 17
Feats: Quicken Spell, Maximize Spell, Spellcasting Prodigy, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Spell Focus: Transmutation, Spell Focus: Necromancy, Skill Focus: Spellcraft, Craft Wonderous, Improved Spell Capacity (10th) Knowledge Arcana: +36, Spellcraft +39

Class Features: Spell Power total +4, Mastery of Elements, Mastery of Shaping

Sylvetria Fighter 15

Trizkel Psychic Warrior 22
Physical stats and Wis: high + augmented by psychic powers

Mind Eater: +5 Coup de Grace weapon

Kuuni Svirfneblin Rogue 19
Artifact dagger

Mikos Rang 6/Fighter 4/Order of the Bow 10

Fadina Wiz 21
Improved Spell Capacity

Kaeryn Priest 6/Wiz 2/Dweomer Keeper 10/Loremaster 2
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-01-04 05:05am, edited 2 times in total.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Holy. Shit.

Is Nalifan hauling something around to boost his Spellcraft modifier? Because even at that level and Int score, +40 is a little much. 24 max ranks and a +12 modifier still comes out to +36.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

My bad. Will Skill Focus(+3 houserule) should come to 39.

The character sheet is at Umbras's place (Trizkel), which is where we game.
Umbras
Youngling

Post by Umbras »

Trizkel's stats are as Follows(* augmented by magical items only)
Str28* Dex24* Con24* Int16 Wis22* Cha16 and his AC 40 to 58 based on abilities & powers he has up and additional PsP he pumps into them.

He can also augment his abilities with various other powers.

He can be verry stubborn when it comes to combat and has had Nalifan literalydrag him away when he has gotten in over his head in the past.
"Forgiveness is between them and god, its my job to arrange the meeting."
"I don't want you to kill him -- I just want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kaeryn, DweomerKeeper of Mystra
Str 10 Dex 12 Con 14 Int 16 Wis 20 Cha 15
Cleric/DweomerKeeper 16 Wiz 2, LoreMaster 2 (20 total levels)

Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Infernal
Knowledge Arcana 26
Knowledge Religion 22
SpellCraft 31

Now, a couple spells that *might* come in handy, Impy.
Commune, to ask Mystra for guidance in deciphering the slab.
As for Karesh? I give you Discern Location, as per the PHB. :twisted: Nitram can confirm that I had the spell and used it during our gaming session ;)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

3e Profiler ate Gaheris' character sheet or I'd post his. *Grumble.*
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote:
As for Karesh? I give you Discern Location, as per the PHB. :twisted: Nitram can confirm that I had the spell and used it during our gaming session ;)
I'm well aware of those. As for the first, Nalifan is on top of it. As for Karesh, well he and his mistress have taken measures. And that's all I will say for now.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
I'm well aware of those. As for the first, Nalifan is on top of it. As for Karesh, well he and his mistress have taken measures. And that's all I will say for now.
LOL! Just so I don't ruin the story with something you'd not thought of, right? :-D S'ok... I should just be happy she's in such august company, and not try to pad her role anyway ;)

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Imperial Overlord wrote:My bad. Will Skill Focus(+3 houserule) should come to 39.

The character sheet is at Umbras's place (Trizkel), which is where we game.
+3 for Skill Focus is 3.5 standard, mate. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Rogue 9 wrote: +3 for Skill Focus is 3.5 standard, mate. :wink:
We've had it as a houserule since early 3.0 and that's how it sticks in my brain.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Smoke from a pair of insence sticks swirled around Kaeryn's body as she sat cross legged in front of the table. She wore formal vestments of dark blue silk over her normal clothes, her eyes closed, and her mind focused on the Lady of Mysteries. Great power had been used to send questions towards the mind of the goddess, but no answers came back.

"You are wasting your time," came a voice from the doorway. The priestess's eyes opened and she turned her head. Fadina stood there, watching from behind her silver mask. "Our enemy has invoked the higher powers to hide them from divinations. My own efforts came to nought."

"I am not you," Kaeryn replied.

"And have your efforts been successful?"

"No," she acknowledge. "Something is blocking me."

"As I said, our enemy has invoked the higher powers to block our scrying. You might eventually be successful, or you might find yourself redirected to one that lies."

"To twist the fabiric of the multiverse in such a way . . ."

"Is not without price. A price of power. Although Nalifan is more of an expert on that."

"Truly?" asked Kaeryn. "I thought with your power and that mask, you might have done some entreating of the high powers of your own."

A weak laugh came from the mage. "No. I managed to get that healed three years back. I wear this because I got used to it and poured enough power into it over the years."

"I see," Kaeryn replied. "And Nalifan?"

"Has remade his flesh with the aid of the higher powers. And his mind."

"So much for being born a genius."

"Oh he was. He has just made himself even more powerful in the last few years. Who wouldn't, in his position?"

"And you? Are you in it for the power?"

"In part," Fadina admitted. "But that's not the most important reason. I want to know."

"High mage Fadina. High mage, not arch-mage, not a mistress of the secrets of the high arcana. No family name. Former student of the Arch-Mage Adala Syel. A former apprentice who once walked around with a maimed face for a long time. My impressions of Adala Syel is that he would have seen that such a maiming was reversed. Would you care to tell the story or should I proceed on my assumptions?"

Fadina was silent for a moment. "Not much to tell. I defied my father and sought magical study. I wanted to learn at a faster pace than my former master thought I was ready for. I struck out on my own, one of my ventures went badly. We have spoken infrequently since then."

"And you have not discovered the secrets of the high arcana."

"No, not yet. But they mean little compared to high magic. The knowledge on how to work beyond the weave, to shape the very multiverse itself. The power to shear off the tops of mountains, create mythals, sear the land, or even topple gods. The highest secrets."

"So you will possess even greater secrets than those your teacher denied you."

"That's not what this is about," she said.

"No, this is about lives. Lives that have already been taken, lives that are currently at stake, and lives that will be destroyed if this knowledge falls into the wrong hands." What a strange world we live in, she thought, that a drow arch-mage's hands would be considered the "right" ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

There are drow cities which are larger and more famous, but none that are more cosmipolitan than Sshameth. More populous and mightier than the infamous Menzoberranzen, the city of wizards occupies a great vault whose very walls are worked with power. A huge central pillar runs from the ceiling to the floor. A ramp ran around the pillar's exterior, bringing visitors from other places to the city's thriving markets. Members of all races capable of wielding the Art are freely welcome in the city, which boasts one of the largest markets for magic in the Realms. A thousand lesser pillars fill the vault like strands of a web, being worked as decorations and incorporated into larger structures. A thousand magical lights illuminated the dark faerie land of baroque towers and sprawling manses.

Nalifan descended down the ramp. Teleportation in Sshameth was prohibeted for most and that ban was rigourously enforced. The prohibitions did not extend to the cavern above the pillar, where he had been brought by his teleportation spell. The drow stepped off the side of the ramp and fell through the air. A whispered spell slowed his descent as he neared a fairly sedate discrict of shaped stone buildings.

The drow landed lightly on his feet on side street and began walking rapidly. A few inscriptions were resisting his best efforts, but he knew where to look for aid with that. He turned the corner eagerly, his gaze searching for a familiar building.

There it was. A two story building of glossy black stone. Modest in appearance, but heavily warded with shelves upon shelves of valuable books inside. The proprietor was a withered appearing old man with the initiators of terrible spells in the forefront of his brain.

It was dark. The door was closed. There was no sign of any activity at all. Nalifan's eyes blazed. He stode through the bead curtain of the store next door. A svirfneblin looked up from his bench. Behind him were shelves lined with jars filled with various fluids and alchemical equipment.

The gnome looked up and straightened his plain black smock. "Can I help you honoured?"

"Yes. What happened to your neighbour?"

"I don't know honoured. It was something involving the Wizard Schools."

"Lolth's fangs!" the drow swore in frustration. The Wizard Schools ran Sshameth in the way they saw fit. This wasn't going to be easy. Or pleasant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jhain," said Gaheris as he siddled up to his soldier. Both men were wearing long cloaks over stained and faded clothing. Just another pair of Westgaters trying to get by.

"Interesting occurances, my lord. See that gnome over there?"

Gaheris casually surveyed the square while taking a bite out of a shiny, red apple. "Dark clothing and silver hair? Yes."

"She's been touring the city. I haven't caught her stealing anything, but things are noticed to be missing in her wake. Small things of very high value. Mostly from places that pay protection to the Night Masks."

"You haven't seen her steal?"

"No, but that's because she's too damn good. But things are disappearing in her wake and grey skinned gnome women wearing smoked lenses are fairly memorable."

"Won't be long before the Night Masks figure that out. And they don't like to share." Gaheris took another pair of bites. "I don't care for thieves, but I don't much like the idea of the Night Masks murdering her. Let's go be good citizens." He tossed the apple core and began to move forward.
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-01-11 02:00am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

YAY! Once again, a great chapter, adding some background to Fadina!

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

In other cities, the approach of a drow of high status would be preceeded by the ripple effects of commoners and slaves moving out of his or her way. In Sshameth, where all those who could wield the Art were welcome, the approach of a wizard was common place. People moved out of Nalifan's way, but they did not clear the street. It was slower going than he would have liked.

Drow bargained with humans and chatted with derro savants in the bazaar. Illithid magi lurked in corners as half demons sold unspeakable curios from their stalls. Massive orog sell swords and stout grey dwarven mercenaries guarded their clients. Coins and magic flowed.

Nalifan weaved his way through the crowded space, ignoring entreaties regarding exotic spell components and superb craftsmanship. He pushed aside a learing green slaad. It hissed at him, but the toad like humanoid decided against pushing the confrontation any further. His destination beckond to him.

It was a tower shaped out of the natural stone, a column rising from the floor and thicker at the base than at the tip. A single railess bridge connected it to the web way of walkways suspended from the thousand pillars. Soft golden light came from several windows.

The orogs at the door were not so unthreatening. The subterranean orcs were huge, easily seven foot tall slabs of grey skinned muscle. Adamant alloy plate armoured their bodies and baroque blades designed with intimidation in mind as much as practicality were held in front of them. Nalifan approached.

"I have business with Filzaren," he said in Undercommon, the trade tongue of the Underdark."

The orog on the left, slightly shorter and wirier than his partner responded. His tusked jaw hindered his pronounciation, but his words were clear enough. "Why should the master see you."

"Tell him Nalifan D'Azurientien wishes to speak with him and it is worth a great deal of money."

"I will pass the message along," the orog responded.

"Do it now or he'll be replacing his door guards," Nalifan said icily. The other sneared. Nalifan met his gaze. "You don't have much time left before I lose my patience. One of you better start moving."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Magic Quarter of Union was heavily patrolled by the Union Sentinals, but they did not bother Trizkel. He wasn't here to make trouble. He checked the address again. Yes, that was it. The small, nondescript stone building at the end of the row was the one he had been directed to.

He shrugged and walked forward. The door was a simple portal of dark wood with a bronze dragon's head knocker. He reached out and struck the knocker. The door opened of its own accord. He crossed the threshold into an impossibly large space.

Another man, one who had less experience with sorcery, might have been startled by the spectacle before him. Trizkel just walked forward. The interior of the workshop was at least three stories tall and dominated by a huge metal furnace that stretched from floor to ceiling. An armory's worth of weapons dangled by chains from the ceiling. Two fire elementals laboured at the furnace mouth, handling white hot metal.

The smith was supervising his workers. He was tall, about seven feet. His hair was as black as his skin and his eyes were featureless pools of deep red. He wore a smock of flexible metal plates over sturdy leather. His voice sounded like grinding boulders. "So, you have come to me."

"Yes."

"You wish a weapon from me."

"Yes."

"Are you prepared to meet my price."

"I have heard that it is steep."

The smith laughed. "Tell me what you desire mortal. Then we shall see what price you must pay."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Gar," Jhain worned.

"See them," Gaheris said to the blonde man. His hand fell to his sword hilt. The Watch had cleared out, which was always a sign. Men and women wearing hoods or broad brimmed hats had entered the square and the moved into the street. Some of them had weapons in plain view, others didn't. There was at least a dozen of them visible and probably more lurking. Gaheris quickly scanned the roof tops, but didn't spot anyone. This was going to get really messy in a few more grains.

"Go," said Gaheris. The monk raced ahead as Gaheris drew a well balanced throwing blade. Fighting fair is for suckers. The blade left his hand and buried itself in a Nightmask's spine about midway up his back. The thugs fell and spasmed. Jhain was on his buddy like a tornado.

A fist broke the thug's nose while a kick shattered his left kneecap and another broke ribs before the Nightmask hit the cobblestones. The gnome turned innocently towards the erupting brawl. Three Nightmasks closed from behind. Gaheris had Bright Edge out and was racing forward, but he couldn't be there in time to do anything. Jhain simply wasn't fast enough either.

Something flashed in her eyes. Gaheris saw it and recognized it. Then she exploded in a whirlwind of motion. She spun and one of the Nightmasks was keeling over. The other's weapons struck empty air. A human sized dagger appeared in her hand as the Nightmask toppled and bled all over the street.

The nearest Nighmask reacted to Gaheris's charge. The paladin sidestepped the thrusting rapier and opened a shallow cut across the rogue's chest with Bright Edge. The enchanted elven steel cut through boiled leather like a hot knife through butter. Jhain was busy beating another Nightmask to a pulp.

A second thug moved to flank. Gaheris scuttled back, beat aside a lunge, and opened another wound on the rogue's left thigh. It was bleeding freely. The red haired man smiled. The Nightmasks, their faces hidden by dark scarfs, snarled.

Then the gnome leapt towards them, bouncing and sommesaulting. The flanking thug tried to twist towards Kuuni while avoiding leaving himself open to Gaheris. His efforts got him disembowled by Kuuni. The wounded one tried to back away from the short whirlwind of steel, but his injury slowed him and the distraction proved fatal. Gaheris lunged forward and struck him through the heart. The Nightmask toppled backwards in a spray of blood.

A high voice pipped up. "I didn't really need the help, but thanks for the assist handsome."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Another nice chapter :)

LawGeek
Redshirt

Post by LawGeek »

Good to see Kuuni back in the mix.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

One of the orogs growled at Nalifan, showing yellowed tusks, but the other struck the door with a gauntleted fist. Nalifan coolly eyed the snarling orog while waiting for the door. A drow male opened the door. "Yes?" he said in an irritated tone.

"This one wishes to speak with the master." replied the smaller orog. "He says his name is Nalifan."

"Really?" said the other drow as he looked the arch-mage over.

"Really," Nalifan replied. The other drow was shorter, about average height for a male and wrapped in black robes. A black iron staff topped by a snarling demon head was in the other drow's hand. "Now, take me to Filzaren."

"He is-"

"It's worth a lot of money to him."

"My master's concerns are-"

"He always needs money. For the last time, take me to him."

"Very well," said the other male. "Enter safely." Nalifan crossed the threshold and entered the home of his former tutor. The entrance way had a simple carpet on the floor and lead into modest room with a spiral staircase along the perimeter leading up.

The drow lead Nalifan up three stories and rapped on the a door. "My lord, a Nalifan is here to see you."

The door swung open, room set with several stone tables and lined with shelves. Wires of mithril, platinum, and gold connected a dozen crystals on three different table to each other in a sprawling array. At the far end of the room stood a male drow with a long face and shoulder length off white hair, wearing robes of deep purple and black. "Nalifan. Why have you come."

"I need the aid of one who was once my teacher, of course," he replied. "I will make it worth your while."

"What do you have to offer me?" Falzaren replied.

"Money. Something you constantly burn through, the reason you became one of my teachers in the first place."

He sighed. "Very well. What do you want?"

"I need several Ilythiiri glyphs translated. Their was a bookseller by the name of Kyron-"

Falzaren waved a hand. "He made the error of angering Malaggar Xarann and was forced to flee the city."

"Xarann is still the master of the school of enchantment?"

"Yes, he seems to have outlasted those who wished him replaced."

"Pity. Anyway, do you know what happened to him?"

"No, but I can help you anyway. Much of the lost knowledge was preserved in this city. The very walls of the vault have been strengthened by sorcery that is almost unchanged since the days our ancestors walked under the sun."

Nalifan smiled. "Excellent."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaheris side stepped a thrust from a Nightmask's shortsword and slashed the rogue across the side of his head. The Nightmask fell, blood pouring from the wound. Jhain was busy trying to dodge the two bladesmen who were flanking him and mostly succeeding, but they had already drawn blood.

The gnome somersaulted towards on of the bladesmen assaulting Jhain and stabbed one in the thigh and then in the lower back. He toppled. Jhain deflected a sword blow by slapping the flat away with the back of his left forarm and then punching the Nightmask in the solar plexus and then in the throat. He toppled.

Crossbow bolts flew through the air. One missed altogether. Jhain grabbed a second in mid flight, like a street conjurer snatching a coin. The third took him in the left shoulder and the fourth struck just above his right hip. The monks fell to the cobblestones.

Gaheris looked up at the shooter's on the roof top. In a few moments they would reload and fire again. The paladin's legs were already in motion. He would have to grab Jhain on the run, which wouldn't be the best possible thing for his wounds, but what other choice did he have? The Nightmasks would have one more volley before he would be able to get to an alley and out of their line of fire. They could vanish and heal up, leaving nearly a dozen dead Nightmasks on the cobblestones. They would come out ahead, as long as none of the crossbowmen brought him down.

His hand closed on Jhain's shirt and he heard terrible howls. He looked up as he pulled Jhain to him. The crossbowmen were slumping bonelessly on their roofs. Magic. He heard footsteps and the cobbles behind him and turned.

The gnome was approaching two women and one man. The man was tall and carried a longbow, a woman with dark red-brown hair, and another woman wrapped in black robes.

"Hi Kuuni," said the archer.

"Hi. Who are you friends?" the gnome chirped back.

"Kaeryn and Fadina," the archer replied. The woman approached Gaheris.

"I can help your friend, if you will permit it."

"Go ahead," he said.

She pushed the bolts through, snapped off their heads with a plier like tool, and extracted the shafts. She then began to murmur in a low voice. Jhain's wounds closed, leaving only scars and blood stains behind.

"Thank you," Jhain said.

"Yes, thank you," Gaheris replied, "but we've got to leave. Now. We can give you shelter."

Kaeryn shook her head. "Thank you for the offer, but we will be leaving. Do not worry about us."

"Alright," Gaheris replied. He wiped Bright Edge off on the tunic of a fallen Nightmask. "Let's go." Jhain nodded and both of them headed for the allies.

"Fadina, now if please," said Kaeryn. There was a rush of words and then they were gone.
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-01-18 01:35am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I just love how blunt the drow can be :) Another good one, my friend.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Trizkel looked up at the smith. "I desire a blade with a matchless edge, that will destroy the lifeless."

"Matchless edge mortal? Do you have any idea what you request?"

"Then a blade that will cut even winterwights."

"Ahh. That is better mortal. That I can do. And I can make it especially baneful against the unliving. A companion blade for the one that hangs on your waist, the eater of minds. Yes, that can be done. Comparitivelyl swiftly even. But not without cost."

"What is your price?" Trizkel asked.

"Money has its uses, but it is not what I desire. Do you know what fever iron is mortal?"

"Yes. Iron that retains the heat of the Elemental Plane of Fire. It never completely cools. I would think that someone who can bind fire elementals to his forge would have little difficulty obtaining it."

"True mortal. If I wanted ordinary fever iron I could obtain it easily enough. What I want is a bit more unusual. I want fever iron that has long been exposed to the radiation of the Underdark."

"You mean faerzress," Trizkel replied. "Yes, I can obtain that."

"Good. That and a large amount of gold should suffice to purchase my time, skill, and materials."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Renor," said Falzaren, "see to it that the upper levels are cleared.

The drow wizard bowed briefly and departed.

"Renor?" asked Nalifan.

"Renor Faern," said Falzaren.

"He's chosen a name that means 'black wizard' in Undercommon?"

"Yes, eccentric. I seem to attract a stream of eccentric, brilliant students who can fill up my coffers. Like you, for example."

"I didn't choose to rename myself something completely ridiculous."

"No, you just had an unnatural affection for that concubine of yours. What ever happened to her anyway?"

"I let her go and paid her way to safety."

Falzaren shook his head. "And you call Renor eccentric? Very well, follow me." The arch-mage skirted the edge of the room, avoiding the web of wiring in the center, and headed up the stairs. They ascended to the next level. Falzaren walked over to a door of polished marble. He removed three iron keys from a pocket and inserted them into the keyholes.

The door swung open. Nalifan followed his former mentor into the room. A single table sat in the middle of the room. There was one modest sized bookshelf on one wall. "So this is it, the room containing your greatest treasures."

"Yes, the most valuable books in my collection. Now if you will be good enough to produce the glyphs in question, we can start negotiating price."

Nalifan reached into a pocket and removed a folded up piece of paper. He unfolded it and placed it on the table. Three characters had been drawn on the paper in a steady hand. "I find two of these somewhat ambigious. I've never seen the bottom one before and there are time constraints."

Falzaren stooped over and examined the paper. "Hmm. Well, I think I can help you with these, but that depends on how much platinum you have to spend."

Nalifan removed a tiny box from his robes. It swelled in his hand until it was a coffer nearly a foot long. "A nice bit of compression," Falzaren said. Nalifan opened the box and upended it. Platinum coins sprayed over the table, covering half of it before Nalifan closed the lid.

"How's that?" Nalifan asked.

Falzaren smiled. "Oh, definitely a good start."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

'No, you just had an unnatural affection for that concubine of yours. What ever happened to her anyway?"
"I let her go and paid her way to safety."

Now *there's* a story that would be interesting to hear. Was Nalifan in love once?

Short but sweet, my friend.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote: Now *there's* a story that would be interesting to hear. Was Nalifan in love once?
I'm cunningly laying out teasers and background for the next story, where you will get the full story on the relationship in question.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

So," said Kuuni as they walked down the streets of Union's Tavern Quarter, "what you are telling me is that there's a witch powerful enough to beat Nalifan and a warrior nasty enough to beat Trizkel and Mikos on at the same time after a magic tablet?"

"The tablet does not contain magic," Fadina corrected, "rather it has on its surface inscriptions-"

"Yes," said Mikos, ignoring the dirty look Fadina shot him.

"So you want me to hamstring him and put a blade in her spine while they are distracted pounding you into goblin snot?"

"That would be nice," replied Kaeryn, "but that isn't the plan."

"Who came up with the plan?" said Kuuni as she craned her head to watch a bunch of orange scaled, heavily armed lizardfolk suck meat off skewers in an open air cafe.

"Nalifan," Mikos replied.

"Okay, I'll do it."

"We haven't actually mentioned what the plan was yet," Kaeryn said dryly.

"Oh I know that. Nalifan always comes up with the most interesting plans, well the ones that dont' involve smashing in and kiling everyone before they know what's happening are pretty interesting."

Kaeryn mulled this over as they entered the Wayfarer's Sojourn. The adventurers ascended to their rooms on the second story. Kuuni darted ahead, surprisingly swift on her short, stubby legs. She sped back as Mikos reached the end of the stairs. "They're not here," she pouted.

"Probably out finishing up their jobs," said Kaeryn soothingly. "They should be back soon." I hope.

It wasn't long before Trizkel shown up. Kuuni had managed to get her hands on something containing a lot of sugar and was running around with even more energy than she had before. "Triz!" she beamed. Then she frowned. "You're missing a sword."

"It is a pleasure to see you as well," Trizkel said. "And yes I am."

"What happened?"

"Karesh of the Ten Thousand Blades happened. I lost Flesh Shredder to him."

"Ahh. Ummm, uh, sorry about Sylvetria. She was nice. So, uh, what were you up to?"

"Commissioning a new sword to kill Karesh and all his friends with," the drow replied stonily.

"Umm, good."

"Is Nal back yet?"

"No," said Mikos.

Nalifan didn't show up until midway through the next day, or approximately around that time since Union dwelt perpetually under a night sky. "Nalifan," said Mikos who noted the drow's entry first. The others turned their heads as the drow entered the common room where they were sharing a mid day meal of soup and grilled slices bread with meat, cheese, and vegetables between them.

Kuuni beamed at him. "Was your endeavour successful?" Kaeryn asked in a neutral tone of voice.

"Yes," he replied. "The last few glyphs translated. Now all I have to do is put them all together and interpret them correctly."

"How long will that take?" Trizkel asked.

"Who knows?" said Nalifan. "Hours, days, weeks, maybe even months. I'll know when I have it."

"In that case there is a piece of business that we should settle now," said Trizkel. He ignored the pointed looks given to him by Kaeryn and Fadina.

Their concern did not escape Nalifan's notice. "Yes?"

"I can get a new sword forged, but I need twenty pounds of faerzress touched fever iron to pay off the smith."

Nalifan smiled. So that was the concern. The women were worried about getting sidetracked. "I know where we can get some."

"Really?" said Kaeryn.

"Yes, a gate to the Elemental Plane of Fire not too far from Sshameth."

"The faerzress will interfere with scrying and teleportation."

"Yes, which is why someone of extreme ability is needed to cast those spells, which is to say, myself. It'll take a few hours, at most. Then Kuuni can go back to digging up information on Karesh-"

"Go back to?" she interrupted.

"Or start," Nalifan continued, "and I'll continue decoding the slab and hopefully we'll find out where Karesh is trying to ambush us and spring his trap, killing or disabling him in a manner that is appallingly brutal."

"That sounds like a plan," said Trizkel. "Let's get started."