The SDN Beard Challenge. Step up, Man-girls.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Ace Pace wrote:I can't join, due to the fact my beard growing skills resemble a first timers, which I am.
My first time two years ago, it was a real man-beard, growing out three or four inches over the summer. I guess I'm just manlier than you. :P
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Surlethe wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:I can't join, due to the fact my beard growing skills resemble a first timers, which I am.
My first time two years ago, it was a real man-beard, growing out three or four inches over the summer. I guess I'm just manlier than you. :P
A Violin player...manly?

BWAHAHAHAHA!
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Ace Pace wrote:A Violin player...manly?

BWAHAHAHAHA!
...I resent that remark. :evil: (Just kidding.)

In any case, my goatee has not come off in the last couple of years, no way in hell I'm shaving it off. I'd rather look three years older than look five years younger, thanks.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

So, so far the challenge is between me and YT. I reckon i'm justified in feeling pretty confident right now.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Not quite.

From this morning. I fell asleep early last night. So you got a head start on the growth. But I still feel confident I will win.

Before

After.

Prepare to lose. Girly man.

EDIT_______________________

Ignore the timestamps. They're wrong.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I, too, will throw my face in the ring. Or something like that.

I shaved around noon today (Saturday), so I suppose I've given up a 12-hour advantage. I have confidence, though, that it can be overcome. I'll also find out just how much grey is now in my beard.

Chardok's post is in the background in order to establish a minimum time frame. (It was either that or pick up a copy of an international newspaper.)
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Sweet. Bring on the Testosterone!
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

SCRawl's expression just yells out "Your beard is weak old man, soon you shall feel the power of the dark hair of the face."
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

2000AD wrote:SCRawl's expression just yells out "Your beard is weak old man, soon you shall feel the power of the dark hair of the face."
Funny, that's exactly what I was going for. :wink:

In all seriousness, I really can't expect to win this over men who've been shaving since grade five. My hair used to be blond (and, you know, actually there), fer cryin' out loud. In two months, I can guarantee a respectable showing, but not exactly "mountain man" growth.

The hardest parts: the itch (after a few weeks) and my wife ("you're not going to shave for two months?!?").

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Ace Pace wrote:
Surlethe wrote:
A Violin player...manly?

BWAHAHAHAHA!
Violin player? Excuse me? I am a violist, I'll have you know; the violin is a sacrifice for the greater good of the orchestra.

I might participate in the contest, since I haven't shaved all weekend; but, I don't have pics, so maybe not. I guess SD.net will have to go another few months not knowing what I look like. :P
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

2000AD wrote:So, so far the challenge is between me and YT. I reckon i'm justified in feeling pretty confident right now.
Then why do I look so smug? :P

Yeah, that was a super-tight angle just to scare you. :wink: Here we have a normal (albeit grainy and poor-lit) webcam photo.

Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Enough with your excuses, Surlethe!

As for me, I'm staying out of this because the regs tell me that beards are a no-no, and the fact that I have little in the way of facial hair anyway.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

YT300000 wrote:Ah, screw it, I'm starting today. Too much light for a proper photograph, but it shows off my smooth pearly skin. :P
What is that a model of, to the left of the space shuttle?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
YT300000 wrote:Ah, screw it, I'm starting today. Too much light for a proper photograph, but it shows off my smooth pearly skin. :P
What is that a model of, to the left of the space shuttle?
That's three Trade Fed Droid Fighters from Star Wars Episode I. I slapped them together some time ago, but I just never got around to painting them, so they're still the original plastic grey :oops:

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Vicious
Jedi Knight

Post by Vicious »

It'd be a little late to join this contest, and I never could get past the Aragorn-style three-day growth. But then, chicks dig Aragorn, so make of that what you will. Shame there isn't a body-hair competition or I'd be there in a heartbeat. 8)
MFS Angry Wookiee - PRFYNAFBTFC

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

the company I work for won't let me grow a beard.

sorry

although inside of a year I could grow a nicely trimmed Anton LeVay (especially if I shaved my head), except for the uniform policy which I swear we barrowed from Disney....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Well, like I said, I'm out at a week, a combination of it itching, and massed social pressures. :P I took these pictures two days ago, though couldn't log on until now. Anyways, anyone wants to make this a two-tier challenge, put your one week pics up too. Or just go ahead and screw me over, I don't care. :cry: :P

First up, a trio of increasingly nonchalant pictures.

http://yt300000.250free.com/cha4.jpg
http://yt300000.250free.com/cha5.jpg
http://yt300000.250free.com/cha6.jpg

And now a close-up. The lighting manages to drain all the life out of my skin, but it shows the hair.

http://yt300000.250free.com/cha7.jpg

By the ruler, my average hair length after a week was 5 mm.

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Manly.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I only started to shave about 2 months ago, so I'll pass on joining due to the definite failure and my mother and sisters despising my frail faical hair. (That mainly grows on one side, isn't that annoying).
Good Luck Beard Men, remmemeber Action Hanks Words, and your beard shall block Bullets, but beware french flour smugllers! :wink: .
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

YT300000, no offence intended but those glasses do not suit your face. Just a bit of friendly advice ;)

Otherwise it looks like your beard is progressing along nicely ;)
The others need to post pics now.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Mrs Kendall wrote:YT300000, no offence intended but those glasses do not suit your face. Just a bit of friendly advice ;)
I know, I know. :cry:

They look... okay when I'm clean-shaven, but they don't fit with hair on my chin, for some reason. Either way, I'm probably going to get the frames replaced this summer (they're getting a little damaged), so it shouldn't be a problem for too much longer.

SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Mrs Kendall wrote:The others need to post pics now.
It's supposed to be every two weeks, yes? I need the next week for things to come in a little more -- being fair-haired doesn't help the early growth look scraggly enough.

Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

YT300000 wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote:YT300000, no offence intended but those glasses do not suit your face. Just a bit of friendly advice ;)
I know, I know. :cry:

They look... okay when I'm clean-shaven, but they don't fit with hair on my chin, for some reason. Either way, I'm probably going to get the frames replaced this summer (they're getting a little damaged), so it shouldn't be a problem for too much longer.
Cool, I didn't mean to upset you. I just thought a little constructive critisism would be ok. I just think the frames are too big for your face and the shape is just all wrong. I hope you find good ones this summer :) Please don't be upset, I'm just trying to help ya ;)

Oh and SCRawl, I didn't know there was a time on these pictures. I think every two weeks is a little long to wait though since the thread may die before anyone else posts a picture, besides YT300000 had the guts to do it, and he doesn't have much either ;) CHARDOK! Where's your manly hair growth? :lol:
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Mrs Kendall wrote:Cool, I didn't mean to upset you. I just thought a little constructive critisism would be ok. I just think the frames are too big for your face and the shape is just all wrong. I hope you find good ones this summer :) Please don't be upset, I'm just trying to help ya ;)
*Wipes tears from eyes, swallows slowly*

I think I'm going to be alright. :wink:
besides YT300000 had the guts to do it, and he doesn't have much either ;)
I'd use the term total impudence, since not only am I 16, but the picture I'm going with for my final is at a week. I guess it's just to see how many sympathy votes I get. :lol:

Plus, it started up the competition, since before was a full page of excuses.
CHARDOK! Where's your manly hair growth? :lol:
Seconded.

EDIT: Wow, the smileys form two almost parallel lines on my monitor.

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

2 Week update, could be going better:

Hammerman! Hammer!