What's the best LOOKING fighter plane ever?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Golan III
Padawan Learner

For the Blackbird fanboys out there...

Post by Golan III »

...I present, the YF-12A...
Here is Wikipedia's history of the aircraft
Golan III
Padawan Learner

Post by Golan III »

EDIT - I meant to note that the YF-12 was a completely different aircraft than the D-21/M-21 combo (D-21 drone, M-21 mothership). The M-21 was more related to the A-12, but was a two-seat model (A-12s, the CIA version that was a precursor to the SR-71, was a single-seater). The YF-12 was a fully integrated interceptor, with radar and fire-control system.

My father was a fighter pilot, who became a test pilot and now has almost 6,000 hours in over 100 different airplanes. His favorite, to this day, is the F-106 Delta Dart...and not only was it a real looker, but it could outrun and out-turn nearly anything else in its day (including the F-4). It was king until the F-16 and F-15 came along. I think it's interesting that the -106 has remained my dad's favorite, since he went on to a long career with nearly all variants of the F-16...
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Golan III wrote:EDIT - I meant to note that the YF-12 was a completely different aircraft than the D-21/M-21 combo (D-21 drone, M-21 mothership). The M-21 was more related to the A-12, but was a two-seat model (A-12s, the CIA version that was a precursor to the SR-71, was a single-seater). The YF-12 was a fully integrated interceptor, with radar and fire-control system.

My father was a fighter pilot, who became a test pilot and now has almost 6,000 hours in over 100 different airplanes. His favorite, to this day, is the F-106 Delta Dart...and not only was it a real looker, but it could outrun and out-turn nearly anything else in its day (including the F-4). It was king until the F-16 and F-15 came along. I think it's interesting that the -106 has remained my dad's favorite, since he went on to a long career with nearly all variants of the F-16...
Mmmm....a fighter with nuke-tipped AAMs. What's not to like?
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

brianeyci wrote:
Well now that we've set the precedent for joke posts in this thread, I can't help myself:
This party's over muthafukas.
OK, since we're moving into the realm of fictional planes, how about:

"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

If we are doing sci-fi then I never stopped loving the Swordfish:

ImageImage
Big Phil
BANNED

Re: What's the best LOOKING fighter plane ever?

Post by Big Phil »

That NOS Guy wrote:I've always had a soft spot for Grumman birds. They're just so workmanlike yet graceful.

They're Grumman Cats you hoser!

And for the record, the Grumman Bearcat is the greatest piston engined fighter (both in appearance and ability) ever. The Tomcat is the best looking modern plane. [/img]
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Darth RyanKCR
Youngling

Post by Darth RyanKCR »

Vicious
Jedi Knight

Post by Vicious »

Gotta break this down:

For modern-day jet fighters, nothing compares to the sleek, utterly deadly look of the F-16 Fighting Falcon:

It kicks ass, and it wants to make sure you know it!

For vintage prop-driven fighters, hands down the P-51 Mustang:

Not only is it absurdly sexy, it was also a true badass of the sky.

A toss-up occurs when it comes to jet bombers. On the one hand, you have that look of certain death in the B-2 Spirit:

It just screams, "You are going to die by my hand. It is not a matter of if, but when."

On the other, there is the undeniable beauty and unmatched ability to level countries of the B-1B Lancer:

MFS Angry Wookiee - PRFYNAFBTFC

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I'm amused to no end by the number of trainers, ground attack, and bombers in what is supposed to be a fighters thread. :lol:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Vicious
Jedi Knight

Post by Vicious »

Frank Hipper wrote:I'm amused to no end by the number of trainers, ground attack, and bombers in what is supposed to be a fighters thread. :lol:
At this point it's evolved into a "sexiest man-made thing in the air" contest. But this is SD.net, where threads don't remain on-topic for more than two pages. :D
MFS Angry Wookiee - PRFYNAFBTFC

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Vicious wrote:
Frank Hipper wrote:I'm amused to no end by the number of trainers, ground attack, and bombers in what is supposed to be a fighters thread. :lol:
At this point it's evolved into a "sexiest man-made thing in the air" contest. But this is SD.net, where threads don't remain on-topic for more than two pages. :D
I wouldn't go that far. The non-fighter aircraft are still military planes. I have yet to see someone post a pic of a 747 for example.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

That's because the 747 is about as sexy as a whale that's beached and died... :P
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The B-1 and B-2 can go hang.

This, is a beautiful aircraft:

Red Star
Padawan Learner

Post by Red Star »

The Avro Arrow will always be close to my heart.

Does the F-106 look simmilar to the Arrow or is that just me?
I become death, destroyer of worlds.

Rule 37: "There is no 'Overkill.' There is only 'Open Fire' and 'I Need to Reload.'"
Schlock Mercenary
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

now, now...

I have a special place in my heart for two of the ugliest military aircraft ever designed....

but I haven't shown pictures of those yet either....

(funny one of them even has "Ugly" in it's official nickname....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Danny Bhoy
Jedi Knight

Post by Danny Bhoy »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:now, now...

I have a special place in my heart for two of the ugliest military aircraft ever designed....

but I haven't shown pictures of those yet either....

(funny one of them even has "Ugly" in it's official nickname....
BUFF or SLUFF?

Neither of which I consider ugly. In fact I think the later BUFFs with their EO TV blisters look rather nice. And the SLUFF looks cute in a fat adorable sort of way.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

BUFF of course.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

WWII- either the Typhoon or the Sea Fury( a little post wwii, but w/e)

Cold War: F-14 Tomcat

Modern: Su-37 Terminator

Fictional: Yukikaze 'MAVE' or Super Slyph
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

The Starfighter. Nothing quite compares to the clean lines of it.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I think most of my favorites have been pictured already:

MiG-29 takes the top spot for me, followed by:
F-15
F-14
F/A-18
A-10

And for some old-school action, can't beat the Mustang, and the ME-109 isn't bad.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Meh if you're gonna post something fictional at least do something like the Mave.

I have to agree with all the ruskie lovin' though, they make some damn awesome looking planes.
A-Wing_Slash
Padawan Learner

Post by A-Wing_Slash »

The F-86 Sabre
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I have to go with the F-15 and the F-16.

The F-15, reason being, as Mike said in the OP, it's the sleek lines and muscularity of it. It's a very masculine aircraft. It's looks remind me of a well toned athelete. It's angles suggest speed and agility, and the rounded humps of it's engines show power and strength.

The F-16 to me is more feminine. Sleek lines and graceful curves. Powerful, yet agile.

The two are to me the best looking couple of Fighter Aircraft.

(No pics needed, they've been shown already)
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
ntstlkr
Youngling

Post by ntstlkr »

Cheers All,

Always thought the Stilletto looked cool for some reason

But I'd have to go with the Tomcats for contemporary ac.

WWII Gen would have to be the P-61 Black Widow, extremely large for a "fighter", black, and very heavily armed, it just looks intimidating.

"Heart grow Stronger, Will is Firm, Mind more Calm, as our Strength lessons..."
Battle of Malden, 991 AD
ntstlkr
Youngling

Post by ntstlkr »

Cheers All,

Always thought the Stilletto looked cool for some reason

But I'd have to go with the Tomcats for contemporary ac.

WWII Gen would have to be the P-61 Black Widow, extremely large for a "fighter", black, and very heavily armed, it just looks intimidating.

"Heart grow Stronger, Will is Firm, Mind more Calm, as our Strength lessons..."
Battle of Malden, 991 AD