Longest Guitar Solo?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Longest Guitar Solo?

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I am sure there are a whole boatload of acoustic guitar soloists out there with albums full of six minute long spiels, but I am curious as to what the longest electric guitar solo is in the traditional sense of rock music: [verse] [solo] [verse] (or whatever).

The longest I have found is Deep Purple's Child in Time, sporting a 2-minute 33-second long guitar solo (all of it Totally Wicked Extreme to the Max™), not counting the opening organ riffs. Does anyone know of anything that can top it?
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Well, the studio Stairway to Heaven has a 1:30-ish guitar solo. The longest version, which was played at their final show in Berlin, had an 8:30-ish guitar solo.

The How the West Was Won version of Heartbreaker has a 3-4ish minute electric guitar improvisation including Bach played on electric guitar.

Another song, called White Summer, sometimes ran for twenty minutes and is an electric guitar instrumental, although an acoustic version that included Black Mountain Side was also available.

However, some live versions of Dazed and Confused included 34 minute solos where the guitarist would play with a violin bow.

In fact, the whole band had some truly massive solos, where versions of Thank You and No Quarter would include forty minute keyboard solos, and live versions of the drum solo Moby Dick would run over twenty minutes. The singer led the group in multiple blues covers during their Whole Lotta Love and How Many More Times medlies that would run over half an hour at times.

Yes, I am an abashed Led Zeppelin fanbaby.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

When Van Halen played in Tassie a few years back some friends who went to the concert reported a 6 or so minute guitar solo and a 4+ minute drum solo.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Yes, I am an abashed Led Zeppelin fanbaby.
For such a "fanbaby" you sure don't use the band members' actual names... :P
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Well, most people don't know who Page, Jones, Bonham, and Plant are.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Actually, a lot of people do, considering they were the most popular rock band in the world during the 1970s. But I'll drop it at that. I was just giving you a hard time. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Actually, a lot of people do, considering they were the most popular rock band in the world during the 1970s. But I'll drop it at that. I was just giving you a hard time. :P
I know you were just kidding, I saw the smiley.

Of course, if I had a quarter for everyone who refers to Led Zeppelin as a person, I'd own Iowa. Just though I'd hedge my bets.

Either way, they have a 34 minute electric guitar/violin bow solo that certainly qualifies for the OP.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

There was a close to 10 minute solo in the G3 (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen) version of "Rocking in the Free World" when they played in Toronto a couple years back. They also put a couple big solos in Hendrix's "Voodoo Child", probably in the 5-10 minute range somewhere. I was rocking to the concert and not keeping time so those are just guesses.

Jimi Hendrix has done a few nice ones, "Red House" from the Isle of Wight album opens with a 3 minute solo, and depending on how you count it there's either a ~3 minute guitar solo, a quick break, and then a ~1.5 minute solo or just a 5 minute solo with a pause that's not really a pause. I count it as a 3 minute opening solo and then a 5 minute solo later on. "Machine Gun" from the same album also has a few sweet solos and I think it was 4-5 minute drum solo as well, it gets pretty intense.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird solo usually lasts about ten to fifteen minutes, or does it not count as a solo?
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote:There was a close to 10 minute solo in the G3 (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen)
Those three aren't musicians. They're six-string mastubators.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird solo usually lasts about ten to fifteen minutes, or does it not count as a solo?
Lynyrd Skynyrd has up to three lead guitarists. It's not so much one absurdly, ridiculously, long solo as it is several long solos mixed together as the guitarists trade off between the lead and rhythm roles. It's much in the vein of other long Southern rock anthems of that day produced by groups very much like Lynyrd Skynyrd, like Green Grass and High Tides by the Outlaws.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

how about the doors or iron butterfly?

I figure Inna gadda devita; and The end have ungodly long solo's and Inna's 28 minutes, while the End is 19 minutes.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:
aerius wrote:There was a close to 10 minute solo in the G3 (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen)
Those three aren't musicians. They're six-string mastubators.
Only Satriani & Malmsteen, it's a well known fact that Steve Vai uses a 7-string guitar. <nitpick>
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Well, the guitar duel at the end of "Crossroads" with Steve Vai and Ry Cooder was around five minutes of near constant solos, but no single "solo" jam was longer than a minute. But goddamn that was great
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Santana's cover of 'She's Not There' has, I think, a five minute solo at the end of it.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee