Vader's non-fixed injuries in RotS

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Why would a Sith try to do plastic surgery on himself for purely cosmetic looks? So what if the skin is burned and scarred. As long as it worked.

Sidious spent a total of like three seconds in self pity over his face. "I will miss the Face of Palpatine, but the Face of Sidious will do." Or some such. Why would Anakin be much different. Anakin is pissed about the look, but more about the loss of mobility and freedom of breathing on his own. I see no reason why he'd be up tight about the singed and burned edges of his arms and legs.

Edit: Forgot, there is a scene in Dark Lord, where he is maskless in the surgical suite we saw in ROTS. It's apperently 'presurized' or what ever like his eventual mediation chamber we see in ESB. I beleive its the scene where he's working on one of his arms and the Emperor is talking to him. Anakin says something akin to 'Are these the faces of victory' and is implying Palpatines ruined face and his own scarred and hairless face.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Knife wrote:Why would a Sith try to do plastic surgery on himself for purely cosmetic looks? So what if the skin is burned and scarred. As long as it worked.
Well, that burned, blistered face isn't exactly conducive to health in the long term. Its possible for burn victims to die of dehydration, as fluid loss from exudates utterly deplete the body water supply.

Also, the tissue would also be weaker in tensile strength than pre-wound tissue. even with his body armour, it won't prevent physical impacts from breaching his skin.

I'm actually more interested in Anakin pain. The level of pain Anakin must had been from such an invavisive procedure, not to mention the burns must have been overwhelming. After such a major surgery, he should had been doped up such that he's a drooling idiot, yet, he's walking about just mere hours after the op.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

PainRack wrote:I'm actually more interested in Anakin pain. The level of pain Anakin must had been from such an invavisive procedure, not to mention the burns must have been overwhelming. After such a major surgery, he should had been doped up such that he's a drooling idiot, yet, he's walking about just mere hours after the op.
drugs can have redueced effects on Force users (KOTOR2 spoiler)the Exile had to be druged with such amount (to subdue him/her) that it killed all the other patients thru overdose (who were given the same amount, so it's possible that Anakin was druged but used the Force to quickly recover from the effects of the drugs.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Lord Revan wrote:drugs can have redueced effects on Force users (KOTOR2 spoiler)the Exile had to be druged with such amount (to subdue him/her) that it killed all the other patients thru overdose (who were given the same amount, so it's possible that Anakin was druged but used the Force to quickly recover from the effects of the drugs.
Yes, but Anakin should still have been suffering from residual pain from both the op as well as his injuries. Unless he's using some form of Jedi mediation to constantly cancel out the pain, conjure up enough strength for walking as well as that display of Force power against the walls and STILL have enough wit left over to be sorry about his pitiful condition...................
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Lord Revan wrote:
PainRack wrote:I'm actually more interested in Anakin pain. The level of pain Anakin must had been from such an invavisive procedure, not to mention the burns must have been overwhelming. After such a major surgery, he should had been doped up such that he's a drooling idiot, yet, he's walking about just mere hours after the op.
drugs can have redueced effects on Force users (KOTOR2 spoiler)the Exile had to be druged with such amount (to subdue him/her) that it killed all the other patients thru overdose (who were given the same amount, so it's possible that Anakin was druged but used the Force to quickly recover from the effects of the drugs.
A simpler explanation might be that he was simply in so bad of a condition that doping drugs might have sent him into a coma, or even killed him. Such things have been known to happen in cases of extreme trauma.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Noble Ire wrote: A simpler explanation might be that he was simply in so bad of a condition that doping drugs might have sent him into a coma, or even killed him. Such things have been known to happen in cases of extreme trauma.
He is in that condition. However, that misses the point. His entire body has been burned and blistered, his lungs has begun to scar internally and he just has a massive, invaisve operation done on him, yet, within hours, he's able to stand up and start whining? This despite the fact that he should be grimacing in pain or heavily doped up?
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

PainRack wrote:
Noble Ire wrote: A simpler explanation might be that he was simply in so bad of a condition that doping drugs might have sent him into a coma, or even killed him. Such things have been known to happen in cases of extreme trauma.
He is in that condition. However, that misses the point. His entire body has been burned and blistered, his lungs has begun to scar internally and he just has a massive, invaisve operation done on him, yet, within hours, he's able to stand up and start whining? This despite the fact that he should be grimacing in pain or heavily doped up?
Well, who's to say he isn't in an enormous amount of pain? The novelization seems to suggest he is, even if the feeings of foreign objects throughout his body earns more of his attention. And what the hell is this "start whining" thing? He speaks about three lines, all of them labored (as if he were in pain) and reasonable given his recent circumstances.
The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Noble Ire wrote: Well, who's to say he isn't in an enormous amount of pain? The novelization seems to suggest he is, even if the feeings of foreign objects throughout his body earns more of his attention. And what the hell is this "start whining" thing? He speaks about three lines, all of them labored (as if he were in pain) and reasonable given his recent circumstances.
Okay, first of all, go back and read what I said.

What I said was that Anakin skywalker was able to be walking around just hours after a massive operation, despite his injuries and what must have been excruiating pain. By normal standards, he shouldn't have been able to do so as he's either doped up or just the pain alone would had rendered him nonfunctional. yet, he's able to walk, he's able to talk and etc etc etc just mere hours after surgery.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

DesertFly wrote:They were probably just installing the limbs quickly before the nerve endings died (which, with my minimal amount of biological knowledge, is what I assume happens when a limb is severed.)
No, they don't die. That is why amputees often get Phantom Limb syndrome. They "feel" their hand itching even though its not there anymore.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

PainRack wrote:
Noble Ire wrote: Well, who's to say he isn't in an enormous amount of pain? The novelization seems to suggest he is, even if the feeings of foreign objects throughout his body earns more of his attention. And what the hell is this "start whining" thing? He speaks about three lines, all of them labored (as if he were in pain) and reasonable given his recent circumstances.
Okay, first of all, go back and read what I said.

What I said was that Anakin skywalker was able to be walking around just hours after a massive operation, despite his injuries and what must have been excruiating pain. By normal standards, he shouldn't have been able to do so as he's either doped up or just the pain alone would had rendered him nonfunctional. yet, he's able to walk, he's able to talk and etc etc etc just mere hours after surgery.
Being both a powerful Force user and a cyborg, might have something to do with that. Jedi and Sith have been shown to have incredible endurance, and the machines in Vader's body would also lend him strength in such an area. The novel also seem to be indicated that his skin is raw and numb (since most of it was deadened by the ordeal) rather than inflamed with pain.
The Rift
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Noble Ire wrote: Being both a powerful Force user and a cyborg, might have something to do with that. Jedi and Sith have been shown to have incredible endurance, and the machines in Vader's body would also lend him strength in such an area. The novel also seem to be indicated that his skin is raw and numb (since most of it was deadened by the ordeal) rather than inflamed with pain.
If nothing else, it will indicate the extent of SW medical technology as their cybernetics was implanted smoothly, on a badly injured human and he was functional within hours of the operation, meaning that his nervous system was able to learn how to manipulate the suit easily.