What should I write?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

What should I write?

Post by Shinova »

I've been trying to get back into the fanfic writing "biz" but the major roadblock has been WHAT should I write? So here's some ideas I've thought about:

1. Crossover of Morrowind and Lord of the Rings. At the last battle, the Nerevarine and Dagoth Ur get teleported to different places on Middle Earth. Dagoth Ur ends up allying with Sauron, each secretly trying to dominate the other whilst in cooperation. The Nerevarine joins the fellowship and fights for Middle Earth whilst at the same time on a quest to find Dagoth Ur and finish his own war.

2. Original. Set in a universe where magic and technology coexist. A small group of students are stranded inside the walls of a well-renowed magic academy on a planet under siege. The academy and its grounds are still relatively peaceful, and the students try to stick to their daily routines whilst at the same time building a communications array that would let the outside world know there are still people trapped in the academy. But someone amongst them doesn't want them to be rescued. A little war and mystery of their own unravels over time.

3. Original. Set in the same universe as #2. The main character is the son of the president of a small, democratic, space-faring civilization. He grows up with a myriad of different friends. The son of an exiled mage-lord, a princess from an interstellar empire, and several others. When he is 17 years old, his federation becomes embroiled in a great war. A draft goes out and he is no exception. One day during the war, the fleet the main character is stationed on, along with several of his friends who were also caught in the draft, simply vanishes. Six years pass. The war is long over and the universe is in peace, when the fleet suddenly reappears. Over ten thousand years have passed for the fleet, and yet many of the original crewmembers and stationed soldiers are still alive (the main character and his friends included), and even stranger still, seemingly none of them have aged a bit, and yet they have been somehow changed. Where have they gone? Why have they come back?

Sooooo, which appeals to you people?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I rather like the second, although the third sounds interesting as well. Melding of magic and technology make for pretty good stories and themes, if executed well.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Rhoades
Youngling

Post by Rhoades »

I'm going to agree with the second one as well. Out of all the three, it sounds well thought out and if you getting back in a grove then it's the easiest to tackle.
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

Story number one would only be good if it didn't follow the same damn exact plot as the books. If you're going to write a story, might as well be original with it.

Story number two can be fun, as it allows you to cover plot holes and inconsistancies with exclamations of "IT'S MAGIC!!" rather than substance or plot.

And, story number three, well, let's just say the chances of it spawning Mary Sue's is more likely than a Mary Sue cloning facility.
This is sickening... You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet! Prepare yourselves!
Vianca
Padawan Learner

Post by Vianca »

Halo VS TOS BSG?

Els 2 and 3 togeter.
Nothing like the present.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Ah, thanks for all your responses. I thought the world had forgotten about this thread (I have :P ).

As for your responses, I can see why you would consider #2 the most interesting. However, contrary to what Rhoades said, it's going to be HARD to write that one. Reasons being that one, the setting is very small. The whole story takes place almost entirely within the academy and within only a few places within that academy as well.

Two, this also reduces the number of possible outside plot elements or events down to very little. The setting is almost entirely static, therefore all the action and plot is done entirely by the characters themselves, which makes their development paramount to the success of the story.

And lastly, I'm planning to do this in the first-person through the biased eyes and mind of the main character. Is what the main character thinking about the other characters and their situations really the real picture? Are his thoughts correct? Or is he even sane at all? If he says another character is doing this, is that character really doing that?

It'll present the reader with a challenge; to piece together what's really going on as the story's told through a clouded and biased point of view of the main character.

That's why this particular story is going to be so hard to write, so I might put it off until I get some more practice. On the other hand, if I do it right it's going to pay off really well, certainly. :)
What's her bust size!?

Vianca
Padawan Learner

Post by Vianca »

Take 2, and make some leaps to 3.
Then you can give some off the outside stories off that war.
And maybe the Why of that war.
Nothing like the present.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Story idea three takes place at least 50,000 years after story idea two, but thanks for suggesting. :)
What's her bust size!?