The Phantom of the Opera question

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

RogueIce
_______

The Phantom of the Opera question

Post by RogueIce »

Well, I watched the 2004 version of the movie by Joel Schumacher. It was an interesting movie, but it really bugged the hell out of me. Why?

Because they spent the whole movie singing! Now, I don't mind musicals per se, but my experience up until then with them was that it was mostly dialouge with the occassional musical number thrown in. This, on the other hand, was one very long musical number, only broken up by tiny snippets of dialouge along the way.

Now, I actually enjoyed most of the songs (like "The Phantom of the Opera" when he first abducts Christine; I really liked that one) and it had a good rendition of the Phantom theme throughout. But the constant singing just got on my nerves. Just not my taste in movies I suppose.

At any rate, this leads me to my question: how is the "original" Phantom done? Is it the mostly musical with short bits of dialouge, or is it mostly dialouge with musical numbers in it?

Incidently, a quick look on IMDb showed a lot of versions of the movie, not surprisingly. Any recommendations for a "mostly dialouge" version that's pretty good?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

How about one with no singing?.... Or dialouge? :lol:

I love the silent movie version. I got it legally on a DVD along with Nosferatu for $1 at Halloween. It's an exceptional version, and I'd advise it very much.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Re: The Phantom of the Opera question

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Phantom is very much music with small bits of talk. Even when they 'talk', they are in song most of the time. Which is typical Webber.

It's been a while since I saw the musical though, but if the CD soundtrack is accurate and it is, then it's very much a musical through and through.
Ninja of the North
Youngling

Post by Ninja of the North »

You'll have to forgive my relative ignorance, but isn't a play/movie that is mostly singing and hardly no talk more an opera than a musical?
I came for the hatred, I stayed for the ballbags -The Daily Show

Nobel invented dynamite. I won't take any of his blood money. -House
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

Ninja of the North wrote:You'll have to forgive my relative ignorance, but isn't a play/movie that is mostly singing and hardly no talk more an opera than a musical?
yes the Phantom of the Opera IS an opera
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I think that Phantom movie where the Phantom steals people's face-skin and has sex with hookers is awesome!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Jalinth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jalinth »

Ninja of the North wrote:You'll have to forgive my relative ignorance, but isn't a play/movie that is mostly singing and hardly no talk more an opera than a musical?
The question is whether you can understand what they are singing, if you can, it is a musical, if you can't, it is an opera (cynical view of operas talking here).

Les Miserables is also heavy towards singing moving the plot forward.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I think that Phantom movie where the Phantom steals people's face-skin and has sex with hookers is awesome!
Don't spam.

RI, that version of Phantom is done in as an opera. The sort of musical you're thinking of where the songs are peppered throughout the story are musicals like 'West Side Story,' where there are very clear beginnings and ends to songs. There are plenty of versions of Phantom out there to choose from, so shop around until you find the one that fits your style best. :D

Oh, and moving to AMP. *punts*
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

That version sounds like it is akin Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Almost all music, very, VERY little diologue. I think that's more or less a recurring thing in Webber's works.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

Aeolus wrote:
yes the Phantom of the Opera IS an opera
No it isn't. It's a musical.

Why? Because ALW calls it a musical. Had he called it an opera, then it would be an opera. And we opera snoods would have laughed him out of the theater. Mwahaha.
I believe in the Holy Trinity: Bach the Father, Beethoven the Son and Brahms the Holy Ghost.