Midichlorians for all! (RAR!)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Midichlorians for all! (RAR!)

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Roughly 1 year before the events of The Phantom Menace, every man, woman and child in the Star Wars galaxy of a species capable of using the Force is suddenly granted a midichlorian count equivalent to Obi-Wan Kenobi's. What happens?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Can't answer since we don't know if Midichlorians counts cause force ability or are caused by force ability or both are caused by a third factor.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Yeah, they're not like a DBZ power level.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

Well don't Midicholrians mean the person just has the potential to be force sensitive? So they can have the count but not be able to use the force.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

No. As mentioned, the only correlation we're even relatively certain about is that Good force skills tend to mean that that person has a high midi count. One man's explanation to a 9 yr old child aside, nothing has been said about the actual purpose of the buggers, or if they even have one.

Personally, I prefer the explanation that midis flourish in high lifeforce environs, especially powerful force users, so that one could potentially be high in midi but force dull, or be highly force sensitive, but quite potentially have a low midi count (due to some form of condition or somesuch), but with the correlation being such that a simple Midi test is a good enough measure of force potential under nearly every circumstance.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Okay, assume that I meant something along the lines of "force potential" when I mentioned midichlorians.

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

So what, you basically want to turn the entire population of the Galaxy into Jedi? I frankly simply don't really see the point.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

A democratisation of the Force perhaps? The Jedi would loose their monopol on it.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:So what, you basically want to turn the entire population of the Galaxy into Jedi? I frankly simply don't really see the point.
Potential Jedi. They still wouldn't have any training.

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

As Jango Fett would probably be one of those people, the existing Jedi are even more screwed in ROTS than they already were. Palpy may not even wait as long to give order 66.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Doctor Doom
Padawan Learner

Post by Doctor Doom »

Well, Qui-Gon Jinn will be very busy taking on apprentices on backwater worlds, that's for damn sure.
Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
Base Delta Zero
Padawan Learner

Post by Base Delta Zero »

Hmm... this sounds a lot like my stories...

I don't think the Jedi Order would last long enough to reach ROTS. They're supermen, allowing them to enforce the republic's will throughout the galaxy. When they suddenly find themselves on even ground, they'll be screwed, they might be recruited as instructors for the Republic army though.

Confederate Battle Droids will reach all new levels of uselessness, and Palpatine might have trouble with his 'scheme', as it will be difficult to believably prolong the war (think, Jedi Clonetroopers vs stupid droids) On the other hand, it would be entirely awesome to see how Force Powers+Blasters works.
Darth Wong wrote:If the Church did driver training, they would try to get seatbelts outlawed because they aren't 100% effective in preventing fatalities in high-speed car crashes, then they would tell people that driving fast is a sin and chalk up the skyrocketing death toll to God's will. And homosexuals, because homosexuals drive fast.
Peptuck wrote: I don't think magical Borg adaptation can respond effectively to getting punched by a planet.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Everybody's assuming that this would be a bad thing for the Jedi. While, in the long run, perhaps it might be, in the short term I think it would help them. They can now be as picky as they damned well please about selecting students. Oh, Master What's-His-Name has a vision of some badness when he looks at little Johnny? No problem! There's a ka-zillion other potential Jedi in the galaxy now!

The only problem is the Jedi Code's forbidding a Knight to take more than one padawan at a time. Odds are, they would be unwilling to change that, due to Yoda being at the head of the Council, but if they do, their numbers could explode.

Meanwhile, Palps still has to limit himself to one apprentice, lest he risk history repeating itself and the Sith tearing themselves apart. Even if he tries to train everybody he can turn to his way of thinking, there's no way he could build the Siths' numbers up that much, especially considering that he has to go be a politician most of the time.

As mentioned by others, though, either Palps or Dooku will probably train certain characters who already hate the Jedi, as Dark Jedi if not as Sith Lords, and that would be bad news for the Order, especially if they refuse to break the one master-one padawan rule.

If Palps still winds up winning, he'll probably be a lot more zealous about the Jedi Purge. After all, he must totally stamp out all knowledge of the Force he does not control, or the potential for it spreading again is huge. Say Obi-Wan and Yoda bounce around planets, training one person, telling him or her to train others, and then hitting another planet and repeating the process. Exponential growth. The only way to Palps could defend if this started happening would be to do likewise with darksiders, and, again, big groups of darksiders have the potential to destroy one another. I could see him issuing bounties you could buy whole solar systems with when Obi-Wan and Yoda escape him and plain never letting up on the effort to find them.

Whoever wins, be it the Jedi or Palpatine, they're probably going to have to deal with people independantly teaching themselves to use the Force, especially if the public at large discovers they've all got Jedi potential. Palpatine will probably kill anyone he finds using the Force without his express permission, though it's possible that some new group of Force users will be able to avoid his notice long enough for them to rise up and defeat him, either liberating the galaxy or taking his throne for themselves.

What would happen in the long term if the Jedi win is anybody's guess. Perhaps when Yoda dies, the Council will be more open to allowing masters to take on multiple apprentices. I doubt that there would be a true "democratization" of the Force, though, as most people probably won't want the power and its responsibilities. Or, perhaps, the Jedi would jeolously guard their secrets, and force whoever starts to learn to use their powers to join their Order. If they do this, odds are that they'll eventually be replaced by some new group of Force users, either through violence or the new group surpassing the stagnant Jedi Order in numbers, power, and importance.

There are a lot of ways such a scenario could go.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Doctor Doom
Padawan Learner

Post by Doctor Doom »

In reality, all it would do is increase the number of potential candidates for training. After all, simply having the midichlorians doesn't make you a Jedi. Furthermore, it seems from TPM that midichlorians aren't common knowledge (or at least their link to the Force).

It would certainly lead to an increase in the ranks of the various Force cults (be it Jedi or Witches of Dagomir or what have you). However, I think in the long run its effect would be relatively minimal.
Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
Kenoshi
Youngling

Post by Kenoshi »

I think that the Star Wars universe would start to look like your average 70's kung fu movie....everybody in the friggin' galaxy would know how to do crazy wire-fu martial arts.
I like frogs!