Pick's New Art Thread Again +V-day Celebration+

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Pick
Sith Marauder

Pick's New Art Thread Again +V-day Celebration+

Post by Pick »

Don't really like this picture, and it's definitely not what I wanted to open a new thread with, but as long as I got slightly off my ass, it might as well be shown:

Testing foreshortening skills... trying to improve them... etc, etc.
Opencanvas 4 Plus (available at Portalgraphics.net)

Once I get a new picture done, I'll replace this one. I have some sketches in progress. We'll see how it goes.
Last edited by Pick on 2006-02-14 09:50pm, edited 18 times in total.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Oh, look's rather experimental...

Aces. :)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The foreshortening looks authentic, and the craziness of the background provides a good contrast. Hair looks fine, and I like the weird wings, they look like the angelic wings some GF would have in final fantasy, or something, and I especially like the ghostly haloes that follow them. :D My angelic creatures tend to lack little subtle bits like that.

Is the ground meant to be water, or wet stone or something, by the way? It's slightly reminiscent of oil, but it's a little unorthodox compared to what I'd do.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

pick... i really like that picture? can i keep it..

theres definately something angelic/fairyish about the character.

those colour effects are those done using photoshop or something?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

A deviation from your normal work, but quite interesting nonetheless. I like the color effects, and am reminded of how much I like your "creature" design. Very creative.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Rye wrote: Is the ground meant to be water, or wet stone or something, by the way? It's slightly reminiscent of oil, but it's a little unorthodox compared to what I'd do.
:oops: I don't really know! It's shiny, and I like shiny things :mrgreen:. Thanks for your compliments (and same to everyone else, great thanks!)

Everything is done in Opencanvas, Zak, so it's kind of like a stripped down version of Painter. There's some similar things in Photoshop, but it really is low in the filter division.

----------------------

Back to the basics: :P

Opencanvas 4 again. The mountain took a while :lol:.

I like him too much --sorry! :lol:

"North Beyond North" refers to the fact that there are mountains to the north of Nyskaedium. They're believed to go on forever.... of course, they don't 8).

And two sketches:

Finally, a picture of Kesyl :wink:.

A slightly older Ryvara.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Kesyl's a real cutie. And Umber needs to eat. :P
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Holy the first picture rocks.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Darth Raptor wrote:And Umber needs to eat. :P
Seriously. He looks like he's about to keel over in that one (but it is a marvelous picture nonetheless. There's obviously a lot going on in his head.) :wink:

And Kesyl and Ryvara look great. The former seems not have slightly different style (in terms of drawing, not that she's obviously female) than you other works, though. Certainly, it doesn't detract from the picture, but I can't place the difference.
The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

And, Kuja, I'm not sure if he's kvetching (awesome word) or not...
Amazing the things you can learn when you read a lot of sci-fi novels. 8)
JADAFETWA
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Ah, what marvellous pieces of work. The first one is somewhat odd feeling, but I like it none the less.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Noble Ire wrote:
Darth Raptor wrote:And Umber needs to eat. :P
Seriously. He looks like he's about to keel over in that one (but it is a marvelous picture nonetheless. There's obviously a lot going on in his head.) :wink:
He wouldn't be so skinny unless there was a good reason... :lol:

Well, not that...

-----------------------------

Glass Ghost

Watercolor

Dark Councilors Reference Map:

This was just really fast :wink:. I actually made this for my benefit, so I could hopefully keep some semblance of consistancy.

No, they are not fighting over a hell of a lot of land. :luv:

Sketches:

Speed sketch!

When class is boring...

Goof off! (I'm tempted to finish this one up)
He's leaning over the end of something there. It'd make more sense if I had a background... :lol:

Verdigris' traitsmap.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

The glass ghost is... um, weird. But I do like the coloring.
And I was going to ask about what the world looked like. Very nice. And the triatsmap as well. I enjoy minutia. :)
The Rift
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Noble Ire wrote:The glass ghost is... um, weird. But I do like the coloring.
And I was going to ask about what the world looked like. Very nice. And the triatsmap as well. I enjoy minutia. :)
Thank you very much! :luv: :luv:

Also, if you're confused about anything on the map, you can go ahead and ask :). The dashed line is the usual division between the nations (subject to intense change all the time), and the dotted line on the right side represents Syvorian land gained in the Seven Cities campaign (the Zantim Region.)

No one has actually explored to the east, and the "mountains go on forever to the north", as I mentioned before (I think!) is a mistaken belief.

Around the dotted line, and very much to the far east is basically Neutral territory, but they don't have a greater government. They're essentially traders in supplies from between the two nations (for instance, Syvoria has most of the forests and good wood, but Llanlleia has some very useful ore deposits in the Lower Carbyik Mountains that can't be found in Syvoria.)

Most cities are where rivers meet for obvious ease of transporation, notably of goods :).

Oh, and the glass ghost photographed very badly :evil:. It's too light to work well.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

"Glass Ghost" might be washed out but the sheer detail of the clouds and the waves totally blow me away.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Verdigris' traitsmap.
When a wolf and a hedgehog love each other very much...
JADAFETWA
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

"Glass Ghost" is simply beautiful. I love the morning seaside quality it has.

The first sketch is my favourite of the three. I like the energy of its lines. :)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Dalton wrote:"Glass Ghost" might be washed out but the sheer detail of the clouds and the waves totally blow me away.
You can say that again.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Hmm, I haven't done a whole lot lately...

So here's, uhm, a sketch...

This is him when he's older... durrrr :P

-----------------

And some sketches from my live model session earlier today. It was just a basic session so... they're fast sketches to help me with anatomy.

Since these are all of a NUDE MODEL, they are linked to.

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch

Sketch
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Aw poo... its a nude FEMALE Modle.. Le-sigh...

Still, VERY good work as always :D Reminds me a bot of some of my own drawing style, though obviouslly much more refined.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Aw poo... its a nude FEMALE Modle.. Le-sigh...
Hah hah at you Crossroads.

Are you getting a hang of the whole anatomy thing though Pick? Frankly I couldn't do it either when I still studied art, and you're a vastly superior artist than I ever was.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Aw poo... its a nude FEMALE Modle.. Le-sigh...

:P Well my grandma was kind of paying for the model......

But fine :). I was learning to do this for application to my other artwork, anyway. So!

(Nudes, but you know me... they're nothing much in the offensive department. Nevertheless, heads up for the sake of covering my ass)

Let's see how this went.

There. That's a nude of every male character of legal age I've introduced into my story so far. :P
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Pick wrote:Let's see how this went.

There. That's a nude of every male character of legal age I've introduced into my story so far. :P
I love you Pick... I love you so very very much :luv: :luv: :luv:

I hearby Proclaim you "Queen Bishonen Maker of DOOM™"
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Pick wrote:Let's see how this went.

I love you Pick... I love you so very very much :luv: :luv: :luv:

I hearby Proclaim you "Queen Bishonen Maker of DOOM™"
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I think perhaps, for once, that double-post may have been intentional. :wink:
In any event, Pick, I really enjoy your sketches. They have a very vital quality to them. And the fact that your so good at them doesn't hurt.
The Rift