Derelict. A Stargate - nBSG crossover

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Vianca
Padawan Learner

Post by Vianca »

MKSheppard wrote:You're running into the same trap that John Ringo did when he designed the railgun 2mm rounds on his ACU suits; there's no need to put little points of antimatter or naquadah into the shells themselves; that just makes them cost more.
The SG-A fighters can go into a admoshere (of a planeet), right?
So, it could be standaard rounds.
Don't know if they are of the same size thought.
Nothing like the present.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

MKSheppard wrote:Some comments:

1.) Galactica won't even notice a large HE warhead hitting the bow; or even have the CIC shake from it; this is a very large and heavy ship about a kilometer or mile long.

2.) Why are they even using Naquadah as filler for 12.7mm Slugs? I did some calculations using a 800 grain .50 BMG round accelerated to 2 km/sec, it came out as 133.8 kJ of power, versus a 20mm Oerlikon's 43.6kJ.

Also, since you're firing these railguns at thousands of rounds per minute; the chances of more than one 12.7mm slug impacting are very high; and since this is a space weapon system; you can make the 12.7mm round as blunt-nosed as possible (making it weigh even more and being able to transfer more power), as opposed to a pointed boattail shape.
Naquadah is being used because it simply masses far more then a steel core does and is incredably tough, meaning it makes a better penetrator then even something like DU.

The slugs as I envisioned them have a Trinium tip to punch through armor then a Naquadah core to give it mass, possibly with an ferous shell around said core.

You're running into the same trap that John Ringo did when he designed the railgun 2mm rounds on his ACU suits; there's no need to put little points of antimatter or naquadah into the shells themselves; that just makes them cost more.
The Naquadah isn't explosive in of itself, this is 'depelted' Naquadah for lack of a better word, refined from the raw ore but hardly weapons grade stuff. Still incredably dense and tough, but it's not going to go explode on contact anymore then ships hulls in Stargate do.

3.) “Massive jamming from the unknown contact sir, I can barely see it on DRADIS anymore”

Actually, Jamming doesn't work like that IIRC; you know that something's out there; but the probability zone is greatly expanded; instead of being able to localize something down to say, a few feet; you've got to deal with a probability zone several kilometers in area.
I never said the sensor officer actualy was tracking the right target ;)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Yeah, Naquadah can be alloyed in such a way that it is presumably inexplosive, and would thus make a good penetrator. The O'Neill's hull consists of a trinium-carbon-naquadah alloy, and I doubt the thing explodes whenever someone shoots it.

Though it would be kind of amusing if it did explode the second the shields are knocked out. :lol:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Vianca
Padawan Learner

Post by Vianca »

And the Pegasus (of Commander/Captain Cain)?
Will she appear, or is she lost for good?

Are those Cylons coming back in force? :kill:
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

Damn.

Armor, heavy penetrators, powers reactors, enhances nuclear ordnance, the Stargates are made of it, might make for super-explosive ammunition, traces of it in the blood powers Goa'uld technology...

Doesn't anyone else think that Naquadah is something of a wank in and of itself? What doesn't this stuff do? I wonder if the Priors need it to power their psychic abilities.
Last edited by technomage on 2006-01-23 10:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mother, implement Case Omega."
-the last time Colin MacIntyre gives an order without thinking it through.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

technomage wrote:traces of it in the blood powers Goa'uld technology...
The traces in the blood are just markers, the hand device itself probably has a power source.
What doesn't this stuff do?
Cause canser. The stuff doesnt cause heavy metal poisoning :P
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Vianca
Padawan Learner

Post by Vianca »

It can kill you anywhy. :wink:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Vianca wrote:
It can kill you anywhy. :wink:
It was Naquadria that killed Daniel, right?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

LadyTevar wrote:It was Naquadria that killed Daniel, right?
Direct physical contact with Naquadriah pumping out extreme amounts of gamma radiation.

But a Sarcophagus made out of Naquadah can fix that :P
Last edited by Xon on 2006-01-24 07:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

LadyTevar wrote:It was Naquadria that killed Daniel, right?
It was an experiment involving it (as a precursor to building a bomb) ... which unleashed a lot of radiation.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Chris OFarrell wrote:Naquadah is being used because it simply masses far more then a steel core does and is incredably tough, meaning it makes a better penetrator then even something like DU.

The Naquadah isn't explosive in of itself, this is 'depelted' Naquadah for lack of a better word, refined from the raw ore but hardly weapons grade stuff. Still incredably dense and tough, but it's not going to go explode on contact anymore then ships hulls in Stargate do.
Well, there's a problem with this; in @, we don't have any problem using depleted uranium or STABALLOY as penetrator rounds because we have a LOT of it left over from about 50 years of rampant nuke production, and it's cheaper than tungsten.

In contrast, Naquadah production is barely 8 years old; and everything seems to use it from ship hulls to power sources; and a lot of other things; can you really afford to waste it in minor things like 12.7mm shells. I did some calculations:

With a 40 gram shell and a 2000 RPM rate of fire; a railgun would throw away about 80 kilos of Naquadah through it; add in multiple railguns and the figures would become even more uneconomic.

Off that, I don't think Adama or Tigh would be surprised by multi-megaton nukes; they'd be surprised that multi megaton nukes are actually being used as AAMs in the first place.

Nuclear armed AAMs were only used in the 1950s 1960s because they held the answer to problems at the time; how to score a high probability of a hit; nowadays; we don't need that since guidance systems have improved massively.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

MKSheppard wrote:In contrast, Naquadah production is barely 8 years old; and everything seems to use it from ship hulls to power sources; and a lot of other things; can you really afford to waste it in minor things like 12.7mm shells.
Naquadah production is over 10000 years old with the Goa'uld. There is a fuckload of naquadah out there, and the SGC is pulling it in hand-over-hand from the various offworld sites we know they control. Never mind there is an asteriod packed will hundreds of tons of refined Naquadah in a Near-Earth orbit.

Also with the mandate of Homeworld security, they probably dont have to worry about things like "budgets" but the physical avaliability of the resource and how fast it can be physically pulled from the ground and processed.
Vianca
Padawan Learner

Post by Vianca »

From what are the New BSG her bullets made off?
Any idea?
And do they have only one ancient shuttle?
Somehow, I don't see them park the Daedalus in the Galactica's hanger-bay.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Vianca wrote:From what are the New BSG her bullets made off?
Any idea?
They likely can fire AP, HE and "Flak" rounds. Vipers probably shoot AP rounds.
And do they have only one ancient shuttle?
No.
Vianca
Padawan Learner

Post by Vianca »

With crossover, do you mean SGC men onboard the Galactica and men of the Galactica onboard the Daedalus?
Or the RTF going tru the portal?
Lucky that they have Daniel with them.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Vianca wrote:With crossover, do you mean SGC men onboard the Galactica and men of the Galactica onboard the Daedalus?
Or the RTF going tru the portal?
Lucky that they have Daniel with them.
Requirements for a crossover have already been met.

A fictional crossover occurs when otherwise separated fictional characters, stories, settings, universes, or media meet and interact with each other.
Courtesy of Wikipedia
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Vianca
Padawan Learner

Post by Vianca »

True, but I meant the crossover to the unknown human ships (Daniel stapping onboard the Galactica and so), and the crossover tru the portal (RTF flying tru the portal, so the can go to Earth).
In a way, a Stargate is a crossover device.
It only brings you to a other world in a instand, thought.

Was wondering about their reaction.

1: smal ship, but very strong.
2a: weak ship, but very big as well (in order to make up for it).
2b: RTF
3: cylons

This could give a laugh or two.

Maybe you like this link.
Stargate Ships
Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

Post by Grand Admiral Ancaris »

Vianca wrote:Maybe you like this link.
Stargate Ships
Are you aware that the author of this fanfic is also the author of that webpage?
Grand Admiral Ancaris

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege." --- Unknown

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Lumps, for they are always angry and never subtle." ---Dalton

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." ---Euripides
Vianca
Padawan Learner

Post by Vianca »

Sorry, didn't untill you sayed it. :shock: :oops:
Hope some of the links will come online soon (can't get to the Ancient ships and so).
It's a nice site.

Can't wait on the next part.
Has to be fun :D
Valkyrie
Redshirt

Post by Valkyrie »

I can't wait for the next chapter, but I have one question

What would happen if the cylons met the replicators???

Then they would find a way to procreate as 'The Lords Of Kobol' say that all followers must. (correct me if I'm wrong)

AND they would obtain a way of making self replicating uber centurians that can be made out of anything.

But plz don't take this as critisism, this is one of the best fanfics ever!
Keep up the good work!
The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life. - Andrew Brown

Humor is just another defense against the universe. - Mel Brooks
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Valkyrie wrote:I can't wait for the next chapter, but I have one question

What would happen if the cylons met the replicators???

Then they would find a way to procreate as 'The Lords Of Kobol' say that all followers must. (correct me if I'm wrong)

AND they would obtain a way of making self replicating uber centurians that can be made out of anything.

But plz don't take this as critisism, this is one of the best fanfics ever!
Keep up the good work!
Or the replicators might find the Cylons another convenient resource.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Valkyrie
Redshirt

Post by Valkyrie »

Good Point
The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life. - Andrew Brown

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

How long til the next chapter? :cry:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

LadyTevar wrote:How long til the next chapter? :cry:
M'Lady, I hoped to have it out early this week, but unfortunantly certian things got in the way. I'm trying my best to have it out by tommorow some time (and I appologise for the fact that when you see I've posted in this thread you'll assume it's a new chapter).

But here is a little peek:)

"Lieutenant, get Walter in-"
"Here sir" the Chief Master Sergeant suddenly spoke up at his elbow, causing Landry to almost jump out of his skin. How in the hell Walter knew exactly when and where he was needed and got there before Landry could finished calling for him was just another of the enduring mysteries of Stargate Command that he kenw he would never solve. Mentally shrugging, he half turned to face the non-com without looking up from the communication.
"Get me General O'Neill".
"Sir...it's nineteen hundred hours in Washington and the General usually leaves the Pentagon by-"
"I know Chief" Landry responded, still glowering at the printout. "Get him. Now."
Taking a que from the tone of the Generals voice, Walter moved off to one of the communications terminals...the one with the red phone attached to it, and started to patch a call through to General O'Neills secure cell phone.
Somehow, Walter knew it would be a long night.
Valkyrie
Redshirt

Post by Valkyrie »

Excellent...

I can't wait until O'neil meets Odama

'Hi, we are from a planet called earth'

*Odama smiles*

*cheers all over the fleet*

Suddenly Cyclons rush in and start blasting the hell out of 'the alien' (O'neil) and we find out hes a hologram.

O'neil pulls out the replicator disruptor 'thing' and kills all of the cylons.

Tigh: What The Frack was that ?