Timescale of ROTS?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Timescale of ROTS?

Post by Kurgan »

Okay, perhaps this is officially stated someplace I haven't read (ie: how long the events of the movie took place) but I was wondering something.

When Anakin first meets up with Padme, he seems surprised to learn that she's pregnant, despite the fact that he just pressed her body up against his (and he must have felt her pregnant body). Now I interpreted that apparent anomaly in that she had learned she was pregnant, but had not yet begun to show signs of it, in the early stages. Now later in the movie her belly becomes more and more prominent, so we could assume time has passed. I'm no expert on Obstetrics, but wouldn't this progression of her pregnancy put some necessary limits on the time frame of the movie events? Obviously I'm talking SOD here, because the makeup/costume department could have screwed up or Lucas could have just said "good enough" (all his kids are adopted, so he'd have had to do research on the whole thing anyway, and movie audiences are used to the fudging of realism in this regard).

Were the twins premature? Some have pointed out that the babies don't look like newborns. But it's also been admitted that the vast majority of movies don't show babies as they would look when first born. They're normally cleaned up and much older, since it would be much more difficult to film a real newborn for a movie and put makeup on the baby, etc. Women giving birth in the movies typically just sweat and scream a little bit and the babies are born in what seems like a few minutes at most, when in reality they can go into labor for many hours and go through all kinds of emotions and such. Of course we don't really know the extent of the futuristic technology of Star Wars affecting human childbirth, but still.

And of course with digital technology Lucas could have done a lot more for the sake of realism had he wanted to. After all, he digitally doubled one real baby and apparently CGed the babies into Ewan McGregor's arms too (from a previous take or another person holding the baby) supposedly.

Is the official timescale of ROTS (if it exists) create a problem with the progress of Padme's pregnancy?

I'd like to hear some thoughts, and if this is all spelled out in some book I haven't read, please be so kind as to enlighten me with the info so I can go read it and feel like an idiot again. ;)

Thanks!
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

I had an idea that, perhaps, since there must be sort of time dilation device at work to make hyperdrive feasable, they might have a time accelerator to allow for very prematurely delivered babies to instantly become six month olds. But I think mainly Lucas just fucked up.
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The wearing of clothes to disguise pregnancy is nothing new even here... I can easily see Padme's outfits being carefully chosen for that purpose.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The novelization makes it clear it takes place over several days. Padme wore outfits to hide her pregnancy, there's no need to assume Anakin must've been able to tell when he embraced her, look at what she's wearing. Months did not pass. I have no idea why people continue to assume Padme was barely pregnant at the start.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Anakin had been away for several months participating in the Outer Rim sieges. The dialogue on page 163 of the novelization states that it had been five months, so Padme was at the very least five months pregnant at the beginning. Give the state of SW technology, that doesn't seem too unreasonable a term to deliver a baby at.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Doctor Doom
Padawan Learner

Post by Doctor Doom »

On a related note, how long was Anakin on Mustafar? Having just watched the movie again, the film depicts Anakin slaughtering the Separatist leadership. Then he seems to simply lounge around Mustafar and brood until all the events transpire on Coruscant that bring Padme and Obi Wan to Mustafar. Does the novelization shed any light on this?
Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Doctor Doom wrote:On a related note, how long was Anakin on Mustafar? Having just watched the movie again, the film depicts Anakin slaughtering the Separatist leadership. Then he seems to simply lounge around Mustafar and brood until all the events transpire on Coruscant that bring Padme and Obi Wan to Mustafar. Does the novelization shed any light on this?
Not to my recollection, but the film implies a couple of hours or so.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Vympel wrote:The novelization makes it clear it takes place over several days. Padme wore outfits to hide her pregnancy, there's no need to assume Anakin must've been able to tell when he embraced her, look at what she's wearing. Months did not pass. I have no idea why people continue to assume Padme was barely pregnant at the start.
Visually it's no problem. But how would her clothing be able to hide the way her belly felt when he hugged her... was she wearing a "fat suit"? No need to immediately dismiss such observations, since I already gave a reason why one might think that. Anakin might just be a little thick.
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Kurgan wrote:
Vympel wrote:The novelization makes it clear it takes place over several days. Padme wore outfits to hide her pregnancy, there's no need to assume Anakin must've been able to tell when he embraced her, look at what she's wearing. Months did not pass. I have no idea why people continue to assume Padme was barely pregnant at the start.
Visually it's no problem. But how would her clothing be able to hide the way her belly felt when he hugged her... was she wearing a "fat suit"? No need to immediately dismiss such observations, since I already gave a reason why one might think that. Anakin might just be a little thick.
He's never had a kid before... and if he notices his wife's gained a little weight, no fucking way he's gonna point that out first time he sees her after five months... :wink:
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

That reminds me of a Dilbert comic where Dilbert says "so when's the baby due" and the pregnant woman responds with "What! Can't I go off my diet for one day without somebody making insensitive comments!" and making him feel like a jerk, greatly to her secret satisfaction. ;)

Maybe Anakin has been "domesticated" in their three years together, but I can see the old Anakin (the one prone to socially inappropriate outbursts) getting himself into such an situation. Oh well...

JKA Server 2024
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Just to throw a wrench in here... I know several women who didn't show their pregnancies until the last two months.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Not to be crass, but where they rather "large" before they got pregnant?

JKA Server 2024
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

It could also be Anakin's robes and outfit really make it hard to feel anything.
Plus, like people have said, cloths to hide the pregnancy.

Remember, the scence where they are first alone in her apartment, she looks very, very pregnant
Kenoshi
Youngling

Post by Kenoshi »

I was perplexed why Anakin, with all his power in the Force, couldn't detect the presence of Padme's children inside her. But then he seemed like the kind of husband who'd forget their anniversary as well.
I like frogs!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Kenoshi wrote:I was perplexed why Anakin, with all his power in the Force, couldn't detect the presence of Padme's children inside her. But then he seemed like the kind of husband who'd forget their anniversary as well.
be fair to the kid, he just saw his wife for first time for 5 month and had just come for rather stressfull battle, so it's hardly not he didn't detect them there (and IIRC in novelization he did detect them, but couldn't ID the source of the feeling) and after that it highly possible that Anakin didn't even care to probe the matter any deeper then needed.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

LadyTevar wrote:Just to throw a wrench in here... I know several women who didn't show their pregnancies until the last two months.
How do they do that? Don't women start gaining a kg a week once they're past the fifth month?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

PainRack wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Just to throw a wrench in here... I know several women who didn't show their pregnancies until the last two months.
How do they do that? Don't women start gaining a kg a week once they're past the fifth month?
Not always. Some women just carry farth back in their hips. Usually a woman gains 25 - 30 pounds during pregnancy. Sometimes the amount of fluid in the amnionic sack is less than usual. Diet makes a difference too. Eating less may result in the baby being smaller, less healthy.

the point is every woman carries a baby differently. Did you know that the actor playing Marion in the Movie THE MUSIC MAN is pregnant? She is in at least her 6th month by the scenes on the bridge. By the end of the filming she is at least 7 months along.

So it is possible to use dress and clothes to hide a pregnancy.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Without knowing the novelisation i would have said, that some weeks or months pass between the battle of Coruscant and then the meeting of the Jedi-Council, where they talk about having searched all systems within Republic-Space without finding a trace of General Grievious.
Jedi Guardian
BANNED

Post by Jedi Guardian »

It shouldn't have taken Grivious that long to go from Coracaunt to Utapau with hyperspace and that was a little after the Jedi council talked about finding Grivious so all things take different "time warps" in between scenes but mainly I think it took a little less than 2 months
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Jedi Guardian wrote:It shouldn't have taken Grivious that long to go from Coracaunt to Utapau with hyperspace and that was a little after the Jedi council talked about finding Grivious so all things take different "time warps" in between scenes but mainly I think it took a little less than 2 months
Is it possible that the route through the star-dense Deep Core meant that it took the CIS fleet longer to both enter and egress from the Coruscant system?

That is assuming that they took the same coreward route during their escape, possibly to avoid being easily tracked and pursued through hyperspace.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Count Dooku
Jedi Knight

Post by Count Dooku »

Cykeisme wrote:
Jedi Guardian wrote:It shouldn't have taken Grivious that long to go from Coracaunt to Utapau with hyperspace and that was a little after the Jedi council talked about finding Grivious so all things take different "time warps" in between scenes but mainly I think it took a little less than 2 months
Is it possible that the route through the star-dense Deep Core meant that it took the CIS fleet longer to both enter and egress from the Coruscant system?

That is assuming that they took the same coreward route during their escape, possibly to avoid being easily tracked and pursued through hyperspace.
That's a hell of an idea! I'd imagine that if your traveling a long distance through the core, you'd have to drop out of hyper-space several times during the journey.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." (Seneca the Younger, 5 BC - 65 AD)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The novelisation made it seem like it took place over only a few days, a couple of weeks at best.

Its possible the twins were premature when they were born possibly as a result of the severe stress Padme was under.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Crazedwraith wrote:The novelisation made it seem like it took place over only a few days, a couple of weeks at best.

Its possible the twins were premature when they were born possibly as a result of the severe stress Padme was under.
Either that or they induced labour. They most probably have much better success at keeping premature babies alive than we do now; I'd imagine they could adapt Kaminoan clone-growth techniques to support premature babies, a sort of artifical womb, so to speak.
Jedi Guardian
BANNED

Post by Jedi Guardian »

I'm not so sure that the babies were that premature if I remember correctly it says that anikan hasn't seen Padme in 5-6 months

Edit: yes becaause in my guide it says he hasn't seen Padme in months so by the time they see each other again Pabdme must be 4-6 months pregnant.
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

If you've ever seen premature babies up-close and personal, you know that they are very, very small, and that there was no way that Luke and Leia were premies. The only explanation is that she was full term, or there was some medical device capable of performing growth acceleration under the circumstances.
Chuck