A thought - Tabletop RPGs

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Uraniun235 wrote: Have you never tried starting a game at a higher level?

Personally, for me, half the fun is the bullshitting that goes on before, during, and after the game.
In response to both of those:

Play Amber Diceless. The most insane power-mongering RPG ever.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

SirNitram wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:Is not the journey itself a reward?
You, sir, have never driven through Iowa.
We're talking about the journey from the beginning to the end of an RPG campaign, not my drive to the Quad Cities.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:Is not the journey itself a reward?
You, sir, have never driven through Iowa.
We're talking about the journey from the beginning to the end of an RPG campaign, not my drive to the Quad Cities.
I just like undermining cliches with references to the midwest.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

SirNitram wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
SirNitram wrote: You, sir, have never driven through Iowa.
I just like undermining cliches with references to the midwest.
The problem with your undermining is that the tunnels collapse when you're trying to use them against a Midwesterner.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

No kidding; when all your journeys start in Iowa, any point B going out of state will provide a progressively interesting adventure (unless it's Kansas).
In that sense, 'silence is golden' is a swell phrase, but to the hearing impaired it simply falls upon... ok, nevermind.
By His Word...
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Utsanomiko wrote:(unless it's Kansas).
Or Nebraska...
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

SirNitram wrote:I would consider something like, say, 'hero points', for such, though, when a player clearly needs rewarding for effort. Basically, a widget to turn near misses into hits, or vice versa. Very handy when your a bog standard guy who just got machinegunned.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Hotfoot? I think Nitram just came up with the concept of Emergency Dice ;).

For those who don't know, Emergency Dice are a concept from Silhouette. Basically, each XP you spend gives you one ED, which you can use on any roll to throw an extra die into it. I find they tend to pop up quite often when a grenade suddenly lands in the middle of the group.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The Dark wrote:
SirNitram wrote:I would consider something like, say, 'hero points', for such, though, when a player clearly needs rewarding for effort. Basically, a widget to turn near misses into hits, or vice versa. Very handy when your a bog standard guy who just got machinegunned.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Hotfoot? I think Nitram just came up with the concept of Emergency Dice ;).

For those who don't know, Emergency Dice are a concept from Silhouette. Basically, each XP you spend gives you one ED, which you can use on any roll to throw an extra die into it. I find they tend to pop up quite often when a grenade suddenly lands in the middle of the group.
Interesting. I was thinking of a far rarer(And thus more valuable) reward which is, each, a one-shot 'Get out of shit' card. I doubt any of you are rabid Planescape junkies like me, so I doubt you'd get the concept of Belief points.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The Dark wrote:
Karma from Shadowrun and Earthdawn also works in a similar manner.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Genre Points (again, from Sil) fit the bill for "get out of shit free" cards, and are generally rarer than XP (though that depends entirely on how the GM decides to implement them). Up until they were in the game I used luck cards adapted from another game (with such fun titles as "Clue By Four" and "Action Boy", and the re-named "I ain't got time to bleed"). The nice thing about Genre Points is that they're relatively versatile - one point can be used to re-roll and bad result, but three can save you from instant death. Given that players start out with 3 according to the standard implementation, this means players need to either obtain new GPs quickly, or horde them like the precious jewels they are.

The general rule is - if someone does something cool that fits the genre, the GM should reward it with a Genre Point on the spot.

What I tend to do in my games is to divide rewards - XP is given for using skills, GP are given when people do things well in character. For example - if someone uses their skills creatively and appropriately, I'll give them a modicum of XP. However, for acting in character and keeping up the fun factor, I grant XP. XP is nice for increasing skills and creating ED, which increases overall sustainability, but GP is vital for keeping the game flowing and keeping players from dying due to a bad die roll.

Another interesting concept is that of the special effects rule. The more flair you put into describing your action, the more dice you get to try and pull it off, though I've found it hard to implement evenly.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!