My first WIP

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

My first WIP

Post by Chris OFarrell »

And it has come to pass as was fortold in the oldtime.

In other words, I'm putting up my first lightwave model. Phase 1.

Its not complete as yet. I havn't done any landing gear for it or the bigass rocket that will go on the dosral surface behind the cockpit and above the jet engines...but it'll get done eventualy.

Its basicly going to be my take on an SG1 Russian Spacefighter. Unlike the F-302 which was designed from the ground up a new type of fighter/interceptor, the Russians simply rebuilt the Flanker line into a heavy strike fighter, to complement the F-302's interceptor design. Basicly a Mothership assault craft to be loaded to the gills with Naquadah enhanced Nukes to spam.

So ....

Comments are more then welcome, this is a first attempt (outside of a half dozen uni assignments).
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

It's nice man, are you basing it off a particular Su-27/whatever variant?
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Su-35, which is of course an Su-27 varient. Though the forward swept wings make it sorta look like and S-37, but thats really more because the F-302 and Gliders have forward swept wings.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Why the air intakes?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That model makes me hot...
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Rogue 9 wrote:Why the air intakes?
High altitude scramjets, I expect.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

So this is a fictional thinggy where the Russians do what they do best and make yet another Su-27 variant, but with incorporated Goa'uld tech? Sweet!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

SirNitram wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:Why the air intakes?
High altitude scramjets, I expect.
They look too small for a scramjet. It would be like an F-16's intake, but a lot bigger.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Yey, bumping old threads is fun!

Anyway, I finally got around to making a little progress on the model, so I threw together a quick series of renders for fun.

The asteriods are Kier Darby's, I made the stars myself. The mesh only has very basic procedural texturing at this stage.

http://www.stargate-tech.net/other/spaceflanker/One.jpg
http://www.stargate-tech.net/other/spaceflanker/Two.jpg
http://www.stargate-tech.net/other/spac ... /Three.jpg
http://www.stargate-tech.net/other/spac ... r/Four.jpg
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I'm surprised you didn't go for the Su-47 Berkut (the Artist Formerly Known as S-37) design from the outset- it makes little sense from a "realism" standpoint for Sukhoi to put effort into putting FSW on a Flanker airframe when they've already achieved it on a new one (for the most part, though the Su-47 does incorporate a lot of Flanker components).

Anyway, I assume the rear spine/bulb protruding past the engines is for a rear-facing radar, as on the original Super Flanker? It looks like you've done away with the decoy banks that flank either side of that component on the ordinary aircraft.

Is the huge cockpit to mirror that of the F-302?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

That's pretty sweet work Chris. Very pointy too, which is a plus.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Nice model. The edges seem too sharp. I´d chamfer them.
Also, put the polygons of the end of the engines (the place where the fire comes out) into the same smoothing group as the rest of the engines. This smooth engine abruptly turning into a pologonal engine looks rather strange.

I´d get rid of the texture - standard noise, i guess - and replace it with something cool.

Can you post a shaded wireframe?
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

Nice start, pretty good for a first attempt. My own first Lightwave model was a Starfury, and it looked like the retarded cousin of the worst Starfury ever made. By comparison your fighter is very professional.

Criticism-wise I'd have to agree with salm, the edges are molecule thin and give the model away as being CGI, even if it were not obvious anyway. You might want to do a search on box-modelling in Lightwave, since it's a technique that is fairly easy to get the idea of, and you can make models with well defined edges that are much better looking than these. It also allows you to get a better blend of smooth to sharp surfaces on a model. I think there's even a 'make a jet fighter' tutorial out there using the tecnique, and if you can find nothing else then there's a tutorial on my website that shows the technique being used to make a Star Trek shuttle.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.