What is your favorite musical?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

What is your favorite musical?

Post by Superman »

I've always been fond of "Little Shop of Horrors," and I finally got to see the Broadway production last week. It rocked. That's always been my favorite, and seeing it live was awesome.

I have to say, though, that the movie with Rick Moranis and Steve Martin really improved the overall story. The live show uses the original ending, which sort of keeps to the bizarre spirit of the entire experience, but it doesn't work as well in terms of the plot. The movie was originally going to use it too, but apparently test audiences hated it and the director filmed a new ending. The new ending is much better, in my opinion.

For those who don't know, the original ending had Seymour pull the girl out of the plant's mouth to save her... only to have her say that she actually wants to be eaten. She does another verse of that song from before ("Somewhere that's Green" which actually means the plant), and Seymour picks her up and feeds her to it. Seymour finally tries to kill it, and ends up being eaten himself. Then we find out through a song that what just happened was only one event in a whole series of similar ones across the country... and that the plants basically take over the world.

Anyway, what's yours?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I haven't seen too many musicals, but I'm really fond of the 2005 film of The Producers.

It's just really really great.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Team America or South Park the Movie, I dare anyone to tell me that the songs are any less clever then typical Broadway fare, and they're funny, too!

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

I don't suppose The Wall counts? More of a rock opera thingy than a musical, I guess. Jesus Christ Superstar, then.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Anything Goes

I love the music.
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I always liked Cats, first musical I ever saw (Even before "Josephs technicolour dream coat" or saturday night fever).
I must have seen it 4 times, pity it's not showing anymore...
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Phantom of the Opera really struck a chord with me when I first saw it and the movie was very decent, certainly one of the better movie adaptions of a musical I've seen.

West Side Story is a close runner up for the simplicity of the music and in particular the song "America" because it really cpatures the sharp division in Hispanic culture about the US and the immigrant experience. Some love it and some really hate it. "I want to go back to San Juan. I know a boat you can get on."
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
AK_Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by AK_Jedi »

There are so many good ones.

Producers (haven't seen the movie, but the musical is golden)
Phantom of the Opera
Hair
Jesus Christ Superstar (I liked this one because it depicted a Jesus that wasn't all powerful and the pinnacle of all things. Probably closer to actual events than the gospel)
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

The Music Man and The Sound of Music for me
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Phantom of the Opera...yes, I'm an ALW guy. :D
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Doctor Doom
Padawan Learner

Post by Doctor Doom »

Rocky Horror Picture Show
Spamalot
Evita
The Producers
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
Hairspray
Blues Brothers
Little Shop of Horrors
Chicago
Alexander's Ragtime Band
Some Like It Hot
Grease
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

That's my list (roughly in that order).

And possibly the worst musical I have ever seen is the ill-fated sequel to Rocky Horror, "Shock Treatment."
Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

The Last Five Years, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, Les Mis, Spamalot, and Avenue Q, in no particular order.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

My Fair Lady.

I'm not really much for musicals (although my sentiment seems to be changing in recent years) but I simply adore this wonderful, glorious film. I actually consider it one of the most perfect in cinema.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

My favorite musical was Lagaan. It's an Indian movie, and like almost all of them (seriously I'm not joking) it's a musical and ~3 hours long. However, it's really good and for those of you who don't mind reading subtitles for an hour, considering I doubt many of the board members happen to understand Hindi, it's worth it.

As far as American musicals go,

My Fair Lady
The Producers
and Phantom of the Opera
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
The Nightmare Before Christmas.
The Blues Brothers.
Namarie
Padawan Learner

Post by Namarie »

The King and I :luv:
Yay.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Probably Little Shop of Horrors as well, though I have to be in the mood for it. Odd you mentioned it; I was listening to it just the other day. I also like Brigadoon, The Music Man, Kiss Me Kate, Phantom of the Opera as far as pureblooded musicals go.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum hands down has got to be my favorite. I had the joy of seeing it on Broadway with Whoopi Goldberg, of all people, playing the lead. Zero Mostel owns the original, though.

While I have yet to see The Last Five Years performed, I love the concept and the music from it. The very idea of one character going in chronological order and the other in reverse-chronological order, meeting in the middle is amazing. The Scarlet Pimpernel is another fun one, in spite of the fact that the composer didn't know what the hell he was doing when it came to orchestration.
Cabaret wins for one of the strongest serious musicals I've seen. When my high school put it on, there was at least two full solid minutes of silence at the very end.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

All That Jazz. Not sure if it's considered a "musical" (even though it says so one the description on the box!). It does at least have a longish musical sequence at the end, along with some shorter ones throughout the earlier part of the fim.

I'm not big on musicals, but my late, great high school English Lit. teacher showed us movies every other Friday or so, and we saw this. I'd probably never be exposed to it otherwise, but I really enjoyed it. I actually bought it on DVD a few weeks ago after not seeing it since 1992 or so, in that class.
PackMule
Youngling

Post by PackMule »

Sweeney Todd was the first musical I ever saw. It was simply awesome and is still my favourite.
Long Time Lurker, Seldom Poster.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

West Side Story. (I have a social desease).
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

I've always liked 'Fiddler on the Roof'.
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Oklahoma I'm a little biased seeing as I was born there, but I think it has a good story and great songs. I would have liked to see Hugh Jackman on Broadway, I got a taste when he was on a talk show and he sang a few lines.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I have to say West Side Story, and also the King and I. The songs just blend in to the story.