Look What I Found Under a Rock

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

LadyTevar wrote:Oh.
Fuck.

*HOW* are we supposed to beat this guy again?!
We lost. Both times. Good thing so many of the characters have superhuman mental abilities. They might be able to come up with a plan. :D
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Kaeryn gasped in air and bolted up right. "Easy," said the mild mannered priest who held her hand. "You've been brought back to the living."

"Yes," she replied, "I remember. Tanner, isn't it?" She had stopped in at the temple of the Lady of Mysteries a few days earlier. Union's Temple District contained churches dedicated to the gods of dozens of worlds. Given the number of portals that could be found on Faerun, it was not surprising that its major gods were represented here.

She leaned up and swung her legs off the narrow bed. Nalifan was lurking in a corner of the modest room. "It looks like your plan failed."

"Yes," he replied in a level voice. "My plan failed. My magic failed to bring him down. I failed. The only success I can claim was in executing the escape."

Tanner rose to leave. "I'll take my leave."

"No," Nalifan said, "stay."

Tanner looked at him levely. "Please," the drow added.

Kaeryn stood. "What happens to drow who fail? What happens to noble houses that lose?"

"The wise learn and adapt to their new circumstances. The weak and foolish perish. Do you have anything else to contribute? The need to find and punish scapegoats for every failure is one of the things I find unnattractive about drow society. Although the drow word for scapegoat is actually 'wayward male', which is another reason I don't much care for it. Now, what I need you to do is stay here and see to it that the others are resurrected."

"I'm not feeling too confident in your plans at the moment."

The drow sighed. "We have a narrow window of opportunity. It's been a day since we left Karesh in the desolation. I flew out and gated back to Union. He's at best three days away from any interdimensional transport. Which means we have two days while he is effectively out of commission. Dropping the hammer on him is going to nearly impossible, but it gets easier if he doesn't have his employer around to rescue him and she seems to be somewhat more defeatable. I had thought of ripping that knowledge from him, either living or dead, but as you have noted we failed."

"Alright," she said, "I'm with you so far."

"Good. Karesh doesn't need money, although I'm sure he's paid. He's a walking saint of their sword cult, has the mansion closest to the king, and all that other fun stuff. He also doesn't work out of Union. It isn't about money. Its for pride, for a challenge, the thrill, or something like that. His potential employers come to him and his presence at the Shrine was a big deal so he isn't there often. This is consistent, because he sure as hell didn't flinch when we killed all those bladesmen. So where do potential employers normally go for an audience?"

"His house," she answered. "You're going to interrogate his servants and try to pry out a name."

"Or something equally useful."

"What is that's a trap too?"

"There isn't a gigantic zone of wild magic screwing up teleports. I'll leave in that case."

"I'm coming with you."

"Nonsense. Sending both of us into danger is foolish. If we go down it is over. If, on the other hand, I am lost you will have everyone else to back you up for you next move."

"I suppose you have that planned out as well?"

"No. If I screw up two plans in a row, someone else better be doing the planning."

She nodded in reluctant acknowledgement of his points. "What about the cost of all this?"

"Dragon hoard."

"Ahh."

The drow departed with a flourish of his cloak. He crossed over the tiled floor of the nave and out into Union's perpetual twilight. Words of power slipped from his lips and a rent was torn in space. He slipped through and was standing in Lasker, under a night sky.

Karesh's house was a cruciform shaped, white walled building with roof of red clay tiles. A pair of spike collared mastiffs reacted to Nalifan appearing inside the estate's walls by charging the drow. A flick of his fingers and two short words sent bolts of indigo force flying from his fingers and slicing into the neck of the lead mastiff. The dog collapsed, blood gushing from its neck. The other reached the drow. The necromancer sprang aside and severed the mastiff's spine with a blow of his sword.

The commotion brought a burly servant to the front door. He had a two foot long, single edged, slightly curved blade in his hand. Nalifan uttered a brief incantation and parried the stab aimed at his vitals. He uttered another word, dropped the sword which now hovered in the air, and seized the servant by the wrist and throat. Humans were so slow it sometimes almost seemed unsporting.

Nalifan peered into the mind of his struggling prisoner. He did not know the name of th woman who had hired his master, but he did know who did. Rosar Keshanthal, Karesh's major domo. The image of a slightly portly, pale skinned human with dark, receeding hair and and a neat goatee passed through the servant's mind. Nalifan broke his neck and tossed him away.

Inside the house, several servants put up a brief and futile resistance. Lightning arced between them, blasting charred flesh off blackened bone, and shafts of orange light burned craters in heads and torsos. One man managed to close with the deadly drow, a grey haired man perhaps in his late forties carrying a short stabbing sword. The blade slid off his wards and Nalifan seized his sword arm. With a single, brutal jerk the drow tore the limb from its socket and discarded the dying man. Blood ran down invivislbe fields of force to drip on the carpet.

A simple divination lead him to the major domo. He was sitting at a desk piled with papers and an abacus. He looked calmly up at Nalifan. "My master will destroy you utterly for this. There is no where you can escape his wrath."

"Since he's trying to kill me anyway, that's not much of a deterrent. I want the name of your master's employer. Living or dead, I will take it from you."

"What makes you think I have it?"

"Your master's other servants are fairly sure you do," said the drow grinning. "I'm glad your deciding to be less than coopeerative." Quick as a cat, the drow seized Rosar's right arm by the wrist and brought his fist down on his elbow, shattering it.

Nalifan released the limb and Rosar fell back gasping. "Normally Trizkel is the one who does the bone breaking, but since your master killed him I don't have that option." The malice in the drow's voice was chilling. The product of a society that disdained the concept of love and true friendship, the only acceptable way to deal with grief was wrath. And Nalifan was full of wrath.

Rosar fumbled for a knife. Nalifan slapped the blade away. "Torture is a lousy way to extract information, but it does help soften people up for a mind probe. And then there is the whole issue of enjoyment."

The drow seized the struggling man's head. "This is going to be . . . . unpleasant." He jammed his thumb into Keshanthal's left eye and twisted.

Rosar howled in pain. "Enough recreation for now. Now, what secrets do you possess, hmmm?"
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-01-28 07:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Although I word for scapegoat is actually 'wayward male', which is another reason I don't much care for it.
Typo.

And now I know the real reason why he didn't want Kaeryn with him. She would not stand for torture.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Thanks for catching that Lady T.

And he wanted to do it solo for both reasons.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Mikos shivered and curled up some more. Sensation was returning. He was under a heavy blanket on a simple bed. "Can you hear me?" Kaeryn asked.

The Dalesman opened his eyes and surveyed the modest room. "Yes," he answered the Dweomer Keeper who was bent over him. "Gods I'm cold. Where am I?"

"The temple of Mystra on Union. You've just been restored to life. It was touch and go for a few moments. You had fallen astray."

"There was something after me," he replied. "A mass of tendrils and thorns."

She nodded. "Some kind of astral predator. Most of the time the souls of the departed make it to their destination, but occassionally a few get lost. Or caught. Sometimes too lost for resurrection magic to bring them back."

Mikos was feeling a little better now. He cast of the blanket, even though he felt a little chill. "Life isn't safe, I don't see why death should be," he replied. "What are the odds?"

"Of not making it? Very low, but if you make the journey enough times-"

"And your luck will eventually run out. I'll keep it in mind. Where's everyone else?"

"Trizkel is being prepared for the next resurrection. Nalifan is raiding Karesh's home for clues. Everyone else is dead."

"I hope Nal comes up with a way to kill that orc sucker," Mikos grumbled. "I hate dying."

"So do I," she replied. "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions while we wait?" Nalifan had been holding something back, of that she was fairly sure. Trizkel was unlikely to be helpful in this regard, Kuuni seemed to be an ureliable information source, and Fadina didn't know Nalifan any better than she did. That left Mikos, who didn't seem to be particularily talkative but one had to work with what one had.

"Go ahead," he replied. His weapons were piled near the bed and he began sorting through them and rearming himself.

"Nalifan seemed intent on taking on Karesh's retainers personally. He gave me good reasons for it, but I suspect he was holding back."

Mikos nodded. "When Nalifan gets angry he likes to take charge and take care of things personally, even if he may be biting off more than he can chew."

Kaeryn's eyes narrowed. "Really?"

"Yeah. I've seen it a few times. His control is pretty good, but get him angry enough and he wants to break them and do it himself. He gets a little reckless."

"How far does he go with the 'breaking'?"

"Well, lets see, there were the guys who roped us into fighting to death for sport. We killed about half of them in battle and Nalifan held the others down in a lit hearth until they burned to death, one by one. Except for the one that Trizkel sold as a slave."

Kaeryn's eyes went flinty. "What did you expect from drow?" Mikos asked. "Mercy? I've seen that from him, much more mercy than I ever expected from him, but never towards his enemies."

Kaeryn's voice was steely. "Him and I, we are going to have a talk about this."

Mikos shrugged. "As you wish."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Union's perpetual twilight made certain methods of telling time useless and spawned a small chronometer industry. Hourglasses, water clocks, wind up spring mechanisms, and shifting magical lights were among some of the more mundane ways of tracking the time. So it was that Kaeryn new it was nearly two hours before Nalifan returned to the temple.

The drow had a big grin on his face as ascended the temple steps. "Kaeryn," he said smiling. "Just the woman I want to see. I have the name." He noticed her expression. "What's wrong?"

"Your methods," she replied.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Nalifan smiled in a disarming and completely false manner. "And what would be objectionable about my methods? Victory? Forethought? Rescuing companions?" He had some idea about what she was about to say.

"You know what," she replied.

He shrugged. "As you say. You can fill me in on what you think is objectionable, but lets not discuss our business in public."

"Fine," she said and walked back into the temple, leading him towards the side rooms where the companions were recovering from being brought back through the veil of death. A half dozen battle hardened adventurers made the room rather cramped.

"So," said Nalifan, "what do you have a problem with?"

"Torture," she replied. "There are certain things that should not be done. That's why you didn't want me along for your little excursion."

"If I had known you were particularily squeemish, I would have definitely left you behind for that reason. As it is, I told you my reasons."

"I won't be a party to torture," she said. "I will not permit it."

Nalifan considered a number of responses and discarded them as unlikely to produce the desired results. "As you wish. As you will undoubtedly mistrust any promise I give you, you will accompany me on all outings. Satisfied?"

Trizkel made signs behind her back. Are you serious about this?

"You didn't actually give your word," she replied.

"Fine," he said. "You have my word that I will not indulge in any gratuitous or unnecessary cruelty. Is that good enough?"

"No torture," she said.

"Fine. No torture, I promise. Now, can we get down to the business of survival? I have our enemy's name."

"Which is?" Trizkel asked.

"Szarida. She's active enough on Faerun that she was able to quickly track down the tablets when their existence came to light. Her trail can't be invisible. We should begin our divinations soon."

"Alright," she agreed. "Let's head back to the inn." As she turned away, Nalifan's fingers danced.

Rule One and Rule Two first, he signed to Trizkel, although Kuuni caught the message as well. Rule One: Everyone gets out alive. Rule Two: We accomplish the mission. The drow would do whatever needed to be done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karesh stalked through the garden maze, oblivious to its beauty. He found her, in the body of a slender red head, wearing a thin gown and reclining on a couch, drinking in the false sunlight. "Yes," she drawled.

"They escaped me," he said. "I downed all but the necromancer, but he managed to escape me."

"Then go kill them," she said with a languid wave of her hand.

"He violated my house, killed my servants."

"So?" she said. "This is not my concern."

"Several of my servants knew your name. One of them died a most unpleasant death and not all at once."

She bolted upright on the couch. "What!"

"You heard me."

"You must go to Union at once and destroy them."

"How? I can't take on Union's Sentinels and they would appear in force should I attempt the assault. And it would forever cut me off from Union, even if I escaped and the mercane didn't put a titanic price on my head."

"I thought you liked challenges."

"There is no competition is getting your throat slit in your sleep by a member of The Garrotte. Hiring them is an option?"

"At their prices and on this short notice? No."

"There is another way," he said. "Not all of those who are willing to operate in Union's shadows are members of The Garrotte." He found surrendering the opportunity to take his prey distasteful, but Union was one city he couldn't storm. Yet.

"Go on," she said. Karesh began to lay out his plan and before he was done there was a smile on her face. "Do it," she commanded and then sunk back into the couch.

Blood would soon be shed.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kaeryn is no fool. He gave in too easily. :lol:

Although if he does break his word, Kaeryn will ask Mystra if she can punish him. Maybe retrieve an item from a magic-dead zone by himself. Or spend a month or two without using magic. Elminster himself spent a full year without using magic... could Nal survive the month? :twisted:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote:Kaeryn is no fool. He gave in too easily. :lol:
Yes, he's aware she won't trust him.
Although if he does break his word, Kaeryn will ask Mystra if she can punish him. Maybe retrieve an item from a magic-dead zone by himself. Or spend a month or two without using magic. Elminster himself spent a full year without using magic... could Nal survive the month? :twisted:
Elminster's magical career is micromanaged by Mystra and so he's useless as an example of how she will react. The fact that Szass Tam, countless drow, every phaerimm, and Manshoon routinely do worse and aren't punished in any way is much more relevant.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"So, no torture," said Fadina. "Why do I think your commitment in this matter isn't that strong?" The Calishite mage was on the other side of the table that dominated the inn room that the wizards had turned into a workroom.

"Because it isn't," Nalifan replied. "It is contingent on her involvement, that is all."

"So as soon as it is convienent you'll drop her like a hot iron?"

"Something like that," he replied. "It will probably be after this affair so it won't really come up. Our enemies are far too dangerous to keep alive for sport." And she extorted the promise from the wrong person, Nalifan thought. They took Sylvetria and Trizkel's vengeance would be as terrible as he could make it. An easy mistake to make. Nalifan's position as leader and negotiator made it easy to think of his partners as his retainers, a bit of misdirection that was occassionally useful.

The drow frowned, remembering the conversation he and Trizkel had shared over Sylvetria. Neither of them had mentioned such soft emotions as love and grief, but Trizkel had been raised by svirfneblin for most of his life. Such concepts should not have been so taboo to him.

"What is it?" Sylvetria asked.

"Nothing relevant," Nalifan said. "A stray though to be chased down latter. Any progress?"

"None," she replied. "None and our enemy's chief minion can smash through a wall of force capable of repelling dragon breath."

"Yes," said Nalifan. "He's more than just a warrior. His prowess is literally superhuman, as much a product of his soul as his flesh. He is atttuned to primal forces of destruction and a vessel for those powers."

"Well, that would explain it. And we have hit a dead end in our own attempts to manipulate that energy."

"Maybe," said Nalifan. "Maybe not."

"What is it?" she asked.

"Every action has consequences. We have spent years of our lives learning on how to manipulate those forces and shaping that power into useful patterns."

"So?"

"When we call upon the highest powers, we sacrifice some of our own energies so they will act on our behalf. The same when we bind power to objects. Our own power. What if we instead of touching those forces with the weave, burn our own patterns onto the substance of the multiverse. Weave our spells into the very fabric of creation."

"The spell would be linked inextricably to the maker, usuable only to the maker, but it would have such power . . . ." Her eyes went wide. "Work with the very fabric the universe itself. Gods, such power."

"Yes," he replied. "And consistent with every existing description regarding the difficulty and power of high magic."

"We would need more than our own power. To bind it to the substance of the multiverse would require massive employment of the principles of sympathy and contagion. The cost-"

"Yes, the substances we will need will be extremely expensive."

"I am forced to conceed your mastery of this subject is greater than mine. You should take the lead on the project."

He nodded in agreement. "I have a working in mind. If I succeed, I can guide you with your first attempt. If I fail then we'll have only wasted a huge amount amount of money and power, instead of a staggeringly huge amount."

She nodded. It galled her to admit the drow's knowledge of spell craft was superior to hers, but it was true. "I know several extremely puissant divinations."

"I know a few, but they aren't my strength. This seems to be a fortuitous division of labour."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incense smoke rose to the ceiling of Fadina's room. The magician was in a trance, bound by a more powerful and perilous variation of the vision spell. "Szarida," she whispered. "Szarida," she repeated, stronger this time. "Szarida."

Images flashed into her mind in a jumble. A corpse in ragged finery throttling a grey haired man in a dark room, a chubby girl hauling buckets of water through a muddy farmyard, a chubby, moon faced woman with lightning flashing from her hands. More came. The chubby wizardess studying intently in a library illuminated by witch light, a slender brownskinned woman lying naked under the warm sun, a pale skinned blonde woman entwinned in bed with two male lovers.

The corpse standing in the ghostly mists of the Ethereal Plane and conjuring forth a garden that grew and grew and grew. A spinal chord with diamond insets and a pair of rubies at the top gleaming like eyes floated in a garden maze under the sun.

Fadina convulsed and her right arm spasmed. The vision ended as she fell back twitching and gasping. Blood stained the lips of her silver mask. Her spine arched and she screamed and screamed and screamed.

Kaeryn crashed through the door and rushed over to the convulsing mage. She spoke words and unleashed the power Mystra had given her, sending a flood of healing energy through the mage. Fadina quieted and lay still.

The others were gathered around her. Kaeryn removed the silver mask. The face underneath was quite handsome, an oval with pronounced aquiline features and blood on her lips. "Can you hear me?" Kaeryn asked.

"Yes," the mage gasped. "Szarida. I saw her. She lives in a demiplane. A sun filled garden. She's a demilich."

"A half-lich?" said Trizkel. "That doesn't sound that tough."

Nalifan shook his head. "And I was hoping Karesh's employer would be easier to kill than he is."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-02-02 06:16pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well they're fucked six ways to Sunday.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote:Well they're fucked six ways to Sunday.
Quite possible, although Kaeryn *is* a high-level cleric, of a goddess who has a strong dislike of Necromancy. She may not turn the demi-lich, but she can be a distraction.

For some reason I see her going into her chamber and starting to study what she can about demi-lichs, so to be as prepared as possible.

And here's the typos I found:
you'll drop her lick a hot iron
He is intune with
we'll have only waisted
Insence smoke
The vision ended as he fell

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"Nal," Trizkel asked, "tell us about this thing."

"It's a lich that has transformed itself into a more powerful being," the necromancer responded, "it retains some lich characteristics, hence its name, but it is almost invulnerable. It retains the mastery of magic necessary to transcend its previous state, making it extremely deadly. Short of the divine, they are among the most powerful beings in the multiverse."

A grim silence fell on the group. Kaeryn extended her hand to Fadina and helped the Calishite wizard to her feet. The priestess extended the silver mask to Fadina. She took it and reattached it to her face. "What else did you see?" Kaeryn asked.

"I think she was lich for a while and ugly when alive. She seems to be in the habit of wearing other bodies. Female ones, beautiful ones."

"Like the one when she wore when attacking Nalifan's house," said Kaeryn.

"Yes."

"It is consistent," said Nalifan. "She does not hate the flesh so why does she become undead? Because she hates her own flesh. She possesses beautiful, healthy bodies for her own pleasure. The also help conceal her true nature and prevent the few that survive her attacks from being prepared to deal with her true nature. It is also another reason for her to keep Sylvetria alive."

"How so?" Kaeryn asked.

"The soul theft ability of a demilich causes a body to crumble to dust, that much I do know from certain accounts I have studied. That means she is not using that ability to empty host vessels. In all likelyhood she keeps a store of blank clones stored away to use at her leisure. Sylvetria has a strong, attractive body. She'll want it, but like resurrection spells cloning works right most of the time, but not every time. That gives her two reasons to keep her alive. One, for use as bait and a lure, and two, to use as a source of clone stock."

Trizkel breathed a sigh of relief. "What now?" Mikos aksed.

"We find out everything possible about demiliches so we know how to kill the hag and we consult with the Planar Cartographers Society about where her demiplane is."

Kaeryn spoke up. "I will consult with Mystra's faithful. There may be useful information in our records and archives."

"Good," said Fadina. "Nalifan, stay here and work on our edge. I'll see what what can be discovered in the Magic District."

"Oooh," said Kuuni, "that sounds interesting."

"No stealing," Nalifan wandered.

"Alright."

"I mean it."

"Okay."

The gazed at her steadily for a moment before turning his attention to the others. "Mikos?"

"Let me look around. Guys like me, we dont' talk much, but we've seen a lot. I'll see what I can dig up from talking to the right people."

"Triz?"

"I'll dig around." Trizkel tapped the bejewelled plate that covered a quarter of his head. "I see more than others. I'll see what comes up."

Kaeryn was already leaving the room. "We seem to be in motion," said Nalifan. "Good hunting." The drow headed back to the workroom as the rest of the party began to leave.

Fadina left through the front door, Kuuni trailing in her wake. Kaeryn was already a short distance ahead, closing on a bridge. Mikos strolled out the door a moment latter. All were watched by a dark figure, hiding in the perpetual twilight near one of the cheaper and nastier drinking establishment.

It was humanoid, but most of its features were hidden by the high collared black cloak it wore. Its smiled briefly, revealing a mouth full of fangs before flashing across the street to another alley way, moving so swiftly that if one was not looking directly at it when it began to move it would not have been seen. It was utterly silent.

On a second story balconey of the Wayfarer's Sojourn, Trizkel narrowed his one human eye and fell like a feather to the street. Assassin or spy, either way, it was not subtle enough, swift enough, or deadly enough to escape him.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ahh... so they might try to attack us one by one yet again, it seems.

Umbras
Youngling

Post by Umbras »

*Does the junky jive*
"Forgiveness is between them and god, its my job to arrange the meeting."
"I don't want you to kill him -- I just want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Kaeryn crossed the bridge into the next floating island. Tall white washed apartment buildings and small shops dominated the small island. Children, mostly human, were playing in a small square nearby. The game seemed to some kind of variation of kicking a ball around. Kaeryn smiled as she passed them. It was a nice reminder that the grim business she was involved in was only a small part of life.

Behind her the dark figure clung to the shadow. She was rapidly receeding from view, but to reach her he had to cross the bridge and that had two sentinels on it. He paused, considering. She turned a corner and vanished out of sight. He smiled and drew its long, wavy bladed dagger. It stepped forward and vanished.

The gloom stepped out of shadow behind Kaeryn. He was uterly soundless. One swift stab and the human female would perish. Then he would take the next target. The began a soundless rush.

Kaeryn vanished, to be replaced by Trizkel. The drow was already spinning around, a shortsword of black metal in his left hand and a blade of black crystal in his right. Not the gloom's intended target, but he was still alone. The gloom sidestepped the drow's thrusting blade and struck with his dagger.

The blade sliced through Trizkel's psi armour as if it didn't exist and opened a cut on the drow's arm. The gloom sidestepped another flurry of blows. Trizkel was striking with supernatural speed, but he was still slow compared to the gloom. It smiled and moved in to strike again.

Trizkel was slower than the gloom, but far from an inexperienced fighter. He feignted with the left hand blade and drove the gloom right into the waiting wolf spider. Mind Eater sliced through the gloom's coat and slid off ebon flesh while opening the shallowist of wounds. The gloom snarled, showing a mouthful of fangs, and struck again; this time opening a wound on Trizkel's right thigh.

Trizkel took a step back. The gloom had no secrets from the Eyes of Arachnia. It was just under six feet and gaunt. Black skin wrapped its wiry frame and black eyes looked out from shadowed sockets. It was hairless with pointed ears that were even longer than those of an elf. A thin black tongue flicked out from a mouth full of pointed teeth.

A stream of black corrosive fluid erupted from Trizkel's mouth. It struck the gloom's coat and splattered off harmlessly, fading into nonexistence befodre it hit the ground. The gloom lunged and nicked Trizkel in the belly as the drow continued to give ground.

The gloom pressed forward. Union Sentinels would be here soon, but it was unlikely that he would still be here by the time they arrived. He pressed forward, opening more wounds on the drow and recieving negligable injuries in return. In less than a minutie Trizkel was bleeding from cuts on his arms, legs, and torso. The gloom bore two shallow cuts.

Footsteps coming behind him. A quick glance back confirmed his suspicions. Union Sentinels and the woman. He could kill them all, but not what was coming. In a few more moments a reaction team would be here and that would be more than a match for him.

He leapt sideways into the alley and stepped through vanishing. There would be other opportunities. "Lolth's fangs!" Trizkel swore.

Kaeryn was coming with with three Sentinels in gleaming breastplates. "He got away! The twice damned, half brained, balless spawn of a diseased kuo-toa got away!" He kicked the side of a building in frustration. Brick shattered as he put his foot through the wall.

The leader of the Sentinels examined the scene impassively. He touched an gold seal on his breastplate. "Gloom attack. Pepper street. No fatalities. Perpetrator escaped."

Kaeryn turned. "You know what that is?" she asked.

The man nodded. He was entering early middle age and he had been the best swordsman in the Kingdom of Lekosis. The best swordsman entering middle age with a small legion of young wolves stalking his heel, each wanting to make his reputation by taking down the old. The mercane's offer had been better than waiting for that. "Yes. It's a gloom. They're rare. Some work as spys and assassins. No one knows about the rest of them."

"And it was one of the few creatures capable enough to risk plying the assassin's trade in Union," said Kaeryn.

"Yes."

"We need to warn the others," said Kaeryn.

"Already done," said the drow. "Everyone's fine."

"Good," she said. "Let me tend to you wounds." The drow nodded mutely. She uttered the initiator of a powerful spell and Trizkel's wounds closed.

"Good enough," he said. "No one goes out alone now. Let's go talk to your priests."

"The others?" she aksed.

"They're coming together. Let's go. I can walk and talk at the same time."

"Go ahead," said the Sentinel. "Nothing we can realy do here. Where are you staying?"

"The Wayfarer's Sojourn."

"We'll put a guard on it, but you may want to leave Union for someplace your enemies can't find you."

"We'll consider it," Trizkel reponded.

"Thank you," Kaeryn said.

"Let's go," the drow said as he turned on her heel.

"Good bye," Kaeryn said. The Sentinels nodded in response and then she turned to catch up to the drow. "I'm not a fool you know."

Trizkel shrugged. "Nalifan is suppossed to hold my attention. That's part of his role. He's the flashy one, the one that's good with words. He gave me a promise that cost him nothing because you're the one who will be doing the torturing."

"You should stop worrying about the enemy's well being and start worrying about ours."

"There are things that should not be done, not even to people like them."

"You're entitled to your beliefs."

"If you do torture them, how will you be better than them?" she pressed.

He shrugged. "You can worry about being better than your enemies, I'll satisfy myself with destroying them. If they wanted mercy they should have left us alone."

"Is that what she'll want?"

He snarled and turned back to the priestess. "The best case scenario is that they're carving chunks out of her flesh for the clone vats. I don't think she'll be particularily inclinded towards mercy. Beside, you're worrying about the wrong thing. Just killing Karesh and his bitch-mistress is going to be hard enough. We aren't going to have the luxury of keeping them alive so they can feel the full force of our wrath. We're going to have to figure out a way of putting them down fast and hard and do it. If we don't, that gloom is going to be the least of our problems."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kaeryn won't mention this to Trizk, but if she can she'll mention to Nal that the Demi-Lich might possess Sher's body.

Umbras
Youngling

Post by Umbras »

Trizkel and co. always think of the worste case scenerio's, that has what has kept him and his fellws from oblivion.

He knows what possibilities are in store, but is hoping that its not going to be as bad as the Demi-Lich fully possessing her actual body.
"Forgiveness is between them and god, its my job to arrange the meeting."
"I don't want you to kill him -- I just want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Dishes of shredded beaf and braised greens were placed on the table as the adventurers finished off the appetizers consisting of small bowls of soup and and a platter of spiced eggs. Mugs of beer and cider were filled from several flagons. Fadina, her mask off, ate with the rest of them for the first time. She took a sip of cider and lowered the mug. "What do you think will happen now?"

"We have Union Sentinels watching the area," Kaeryn said. "I doubt it will strike here, but vigilance would be wise."

"I concur," Nalifan responded. "The odds are it isn't anywhere near Union, but it may be bolder than I anticipate. It is likely that it will wait several weeks before attempting to strike again. This is, of course, merely conjecture."

Fadina nodded. "Any progress on the project?"

"I believe I have completed the list of materials necessary to begin. Most of them should be found in Union's Magic Quarter, although the cost will be considerable. The benefits should be worth it."

"Are you sure?" Kaeryn asked.

"Absolutely positive? No." Nalifan spooned some vegetables on to his plate. "Reasonably sure? Yes. How did everyone's investigation's go?"

"Some interesting developments," Kaeryn said. "The process of transformation from lich to demilich apparently makes the demilich nearly invulnerable to physical assault and immune to most magic."

"Immune?" asked Nalifan. He was busily adding slices of beef to his plate.

"To almost all direct effects," the Dweomer Keeper replied. "And impossible or extraordinarily difficult to turn."

"It gets worse," Fadina said. "The process either requires or creates a formidable intellect. There is an interesting theory, based on the study of a number of injuries, that certain areas of the brain manage the various parts of the body. With the transition to a smaller, undead form this would "free up" mental resources in an already formidably intelligent being."

"The theory is correct," said Nalifan. "You don't want to know the details on that. Trust me, you're eating. But do continue."

"The demilich concentrates its mental and sprititual force in a fragment of its lich body, usually a skull, but in this case its spine. The construction of soul gems which adorn the demilich is essential to the transformation. The soul gems are capable of acting as a backup phylacteries, storing the demilich's soul until the body regenerates. The demilich can also use them to steal the souls of others, which it then consumes."

"Oh gods," said Mikos, putting down his mug. "How do we kill it?"

"Kill its body, destroy its phylactery, and shatter all the soul gems," replied Nalifan.

"That's damn hard."

"We're also likely to have to deal with her in whatever body she's wearing at the time."

"Kill two bodies, one almost indestructable?" said Mikos. "Bloody hells."

"About that," replied Nalifan turning to Kaeryn, "you said it was almost totally immune to direct magical attack. What is in not immune to and what about indirect magical effects?"

The priestess finished chewing and swallowing before answering. "The latter should work, as for the former spells that affect crystaline objects and specifically target evil. Even so, the spells have limited effect on a creature than can apparently channel massive quantities of negative energy to heal itself."

"Hmmm," said Nalifan. "So it is resistant to just about every kind of attack and immune to direct sorcerous assault? Tricky. Let me think on it."

"What is the project?" Kaeryn asked.

"Our experimentation with high magic. My grasp seems to be stronger and our resources are not unlimited, so I'm attempting to construct the first spell. It should be of use to us against Karesh."

"Will it work?" Kaeryn asked. "He seemed rather resistant to magic."

"At this point it is far too early to tell, but my magic did bite him. Just not hard enough."

"Better spells than swords," said Mikos. "Fuck that guy's good."

"He'll be dead," said Nalifan. "One way or the other we'll see to that. Focus on Szarida. Karesh will bleed and die under the right circumstances. She won't. So we'll have to make it happen."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

::prays for spells that nullify/block Negative Energy, to prevent the bitch from healing when we *do* hit her. And LOTS and LOTS of Anti-Magic Shells::

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Kaeryn peered at Nalifan's notes. "I can read some of this. This and this are of elvish derivation. Drow symbiology?"

"Yes," said the drow with a cool smile of amusement.

"And these patterns are similar to Netherese formations, although I can't read the glyphs. You're own adaption?"

"Yes."

"I can see why you are so full of yourself. You are brilliant."

"Thank you."

The Dweomer Keeper straightened up. "You've got a plan, or at least the seed of one." Fadina, on the other side of the workromm, turned. She wore her mask once again.

"Yes," replied Nalifan. "There are five serious concerns. Killing her minions is the first one. We'll all take part in that. Karesh is two. Her possessed body is three. Sylvetria is four. The phylactery is five."

"Yes, the phylactery," said Kaeryn. "It could be anywhere in the multiverse."

"That's true, but she has spent an awesome amount of power hiding her current location. If it isn't there, it is less well hidden and defended and I don't think that is the case."

"You think it is hidden somewhere in her demiplane? A reasonable guess, but how are you going to find it?"

"I'm not. Nothing is hidden from Trizkel's sight and Kuuni has talents in that area. They'll find it unless one of us gets lucky first."

"What about Sylvetria?"

Nalifan smiled. "Trizkel will tear that place apart to find her. He may find the phylactery first."

"And the other parts?"

"Your job is to take out the flesh she is wearing. You've done it before and she'll have a hard time stopping you from doing it again."

"She'll send Karesh to kill me."

"Yes, I rather expect she will."

"And that's where you employ your high magic to kill Karesh."

He grinned. "Yes."

"What about what happens after I kill her? The demilich itself."

"I was just about to discuss that with Fadina." He took a piece of parchment and scribbled down several more items and then handed it back to the Calishite.

"I don't see how these relate to the rest," she said. "Specifics for glass bottles. Diamond dust as part of the construction?"

"Yes," said Nalifan. "You made your witch mask with your own powers. You should be able to make these."

"What magics are required?" Fadina asked.

"A gating spell, targetting a waste in the Ethereal Plane. Tiny aperture for the gate."

"Ethereal wastes? Narrow aperture? The resulting-"

"Yes," said the drow. "Exactly."

Kaeryn's brow furled as she tried to follow the conversation. And then it hit her. "No direct magical effect."

"Correct," said Nalifan. "Can you do it?" he asked Fadina.

"Yes. I can make an opening scarcely large enough to see. That should suffice. You have an evil mind arch-mage."

He waved her comment off. "It's not like I invented them."

"I've never heard of them," said Kaeryn.

"Of course not. Spiral burst bottles aren't easy to make and they certainly aren't respectable magic like a nice and shiny disembowling sword. But they'll do the job. In the right hands."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Fadina pushed platinum trade bars across the counter to the gem merchant. They were about the length of her index finger and just a little wider, stamped with the arms of Waterdeep. They were currency good across the Realms and apparently across the planes as well. The blue skinned mercane across the counter was short, just under eight feet tall. The humanoid tapped a little more dust onto a scale and then folded the cloth and bound it with a twist of string.

Fadina took it and placed it in her pouch next to the other packets. Mikos was leaning against the door jam, watching the street warily. "Are we leaving?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied.

"Good. Where next?"

"Glassblower. We have bottles to commission." She stepped out of the shop and into Union's busy streets.

"Nalifan said the guy would probably rabbit and come back for us when the heat's down, but I don't buy it. Neither does Triz."

"I agree. They wouldn't hired the gloom if they didn't want immediate results. Nalifan is too much the elf arch-mage, taking the long view. The gloom easily evaded capture. It'll go to ground, stalk, and strike again. This time it'll make sure Trizkel doesn't get between it and its target."

"You're probably right."

"Drow society isn't the only one to employ assassins."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-02-09 01:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

"I can see why you are so full of yourself. You are brilliant."

"Thank you."
This gave me the first good laughof the day. :-D Other than the typo of your/you're in a couple places, this is another great chapter.

Although I don't know the Spiral Burst Bottle, or the idea behind it. Care to share?

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Given the reference to the wastes on the Ethereal, I presume it has something to do with channeling the energy therein through a very small hole, thus producing a concentrated blast of magical energy that nonetheless is not a spell effect. I could, of course, be completely wrong.

Edit: That got another thought going. Could spellfire harm a demilich?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Spiral burst bottles are found in the Book of Vile Darness. If you want to spoilerize yourself or confirm guesses, go and take a look.
Rogue 9 wrote: Edit: That got another thought going. Could spellfire harm a demilich?
As of 3.5 when they are merely considered to have unbeatable SR, yes it can. It gets its fire resistance, of course.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Spiral burst bottles are found in the Book of Vile Darness. If you want to spoilerize yourself or confirm guesses, go and take a look.
Damn... the one book we *don't* have
Rogue 9 wrote: Edit: That got another thought going. Could spellfire harm a demilich?
As of 3.5 when they are merely considered to have unbeatable SR, yes it can. It gets its fire resistance, of course.
That was discussed eariler, in IMs..

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Wait, unbeatable SR means that effects that don't allow SR still take effect, right?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!