Spaceships are BIG!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

SiegeTank wrote:While that's still essentially true, I don't think the WTC packed a hypermatter reactor :). A lot of ship space could be taken up by gigantic engines, reactors, torpedo bays, sensors and other assorted whatchamacallits that you need in The Future™ to navigate hyperspace and throw gigaton bolts of glowing doom at your enemy.
Still doesn't sound like a lot of crew for something so big though.
Let's take a modern aircraft carrier. A lot of the space is taken up by the hangar, fuel & ammo stores, the reactor & engines etc, and yet it has a 6,000+ crew. Yes, they're cramped. But if you resize'em to something of ISD dimensions, even using the same percentage of space detracted for non-crew related space, probably even the full complement of 45,000 could get lost in it.
Last edited by Batman on 2006-02-08 06:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
AK_Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by AK_Jedi »

incidently, the official stats for a star destroyer crew are 37,000 crew + 9,700 troops.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

When I eye-balled that from memory in the original, it scaled to be about 26 meters tall. 4 meters taller than the official size.

Here is the original version, if anybody is interested:
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

skyman8081 wrote:When I eye-balled that from memory in the original, it scaled to be about 26 meters tall. 4 meters taller than the official size.
Here is the original version, if anybody is interested:
SNIPPY IMAGE
Wether or not your eyeball was closer than the official size (8km SSD, anyone?) this looks even more awesome. Great work.
Last edited by Batman on 2006-02-08 07:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Don't quote pics, Batman.

I like the accurate version better.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Don't quote pics, Batman.
Done. Wether or not it matters in this particular instance, you're right on principle. My bad.
I like the accurate version better.
To each his own I guess.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Batman wrote:Let's take a modern aircraft carrier. A lot of the space is taken up by the hangar, fuel & ammo stores, the reactor & engines etc, and yet it has a 6,000+ crew. Yes, they're cramped. But if you resize'em to something of ISD dimensions, even using the same percentage of space detracted for non-crew related space, probably even the full complement of 45,000 could get lost in it.
True, true... Those crews ARE quite small. I guess the point I was making was more along the lines of, when you compare a big FtL-capable warship with the World Trade Center you ignore the fact that they are built around different purposes. The WTC was built, I assume, to more or less comfortably provide working space for as many people as possible. The Star Destroyer is built to deliver maximum punishment by turbolaser onto puny smuggler freighters or BDZ insolent rebellious planets. The comparison works as a 'holy shit that thing is HUGE!' reminder, but I'm not sure that comparing the people that'd work in the WTC and the crew of a Star Destroyer makes sense.

Of course this point is rather moot considering that carriers still carry much more crew. So I guess I'm just rambling here.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

In terms of yelling down empty corridors, my money's on the HomeWorld ships.

Take, say the Avatar Heavy Cruiser. That's in the 6-800m range. (See the 6 turrets? 1/2 the size of a frigate each)
Crew count is on the order of 150 at last count.

And yes, those are paper models. Homeworld Shipyards is down at the moment, curse them.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Vanas wrote:And yes, those are paper models. Homeworld Shipyards is down at the moment, curse them.
You mean, "curse Yahoo!"
Here's the thread about the issue in the Outsider forum
AK_Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by AK_Jedi »

The Celebrity Cruise Ship "Zenith" is about 680 feet long.

Anyone who has been nearby a cruise ships know just how big they are.