Car Crash Animation [3D WiP]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

salm
Rabid Monkey

Car Crash Animation [3D WiP]

Post by salm »

Hi,
This is a 3D Animation for an Uni Project. It´s Work in Progress but i already like it and think it´s ready to be posted.

2 Minutes 20 Megs with sound(important)

Linkaringding

MAHOK!

<edit>new File uploaded</edit>
<edit>Link updated. Now it should work</edit>
Last edited by salm on 2006-02-17 09:51am, edited 2 times in total.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Nice sounds and music.
Very sweet model.
Nice car.

Holy Collision impact! The dude got pwned.

A quick note: What did you use to create the movie? Because it looked fugly.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Aye, it was created in Adobe Premiere with i think the Cinepak codec. The compression sucks, i know, but i had to get the file size under 10 MB because its for the uni homepage.

I´ll try to get a better version online.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

You need to start using something like DivX for encoding, it's got the quality and small file size that you need. As for the animation, some nice touches and you have a nice feel for the weight of objects. What did you do the animation with, 3D Max or Lightwave or what?
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:You need to start using something like DivX for encoding, it's got the quality and small file size that you need. As for the animation, some nice touches and you have a nice feel for the weight of objects. What did you do the animation with, 3D Max or Lightwave or what?
Right, I just got the DivX pack and some other freeware program called TMPGencode, which was recommended to me by somebody on a 3D board. It creates mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 videos which are supposed to be good for compression. I´ll have to do this tonight at home because my uni admins think that it´s cool not to have divx installed and besides that, think that it´s cool not to allow users to install stuff.

The entire modelling and animation was done in 3ds Max. The "flying" part of the car was done in reactor, the max physics simulator. It works with the Havoc engine (You gamers will probably know it).
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

DivX is a pain when it tries to install all the other nonsense packaged with it, but as long as you just chose the free version and dont install anything else it's the best out there. The only time I use TMPgenc products is to convert stuff to DVD format, I dont use it as an encoder for animations.

I didn't even think about the physics being handled by another plug-in or program, but i should have guessed because they looked very good. i use physics when creating stuff like cloth or particles or breaking ice, but I've never used it for interactions like a car crash. Might have a play around with that later on, see how Lightwave handles it.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

All right, DivX didn´t work. My system allways ran out or Memory when i rendered the movie in DivX.

Anyway, i used the TMP thingy and got a 20 Megs file with good quality at a resolution of 352 * 288.

Download
Last edited by salm on 2006-02-17 09:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

The link doesn't go anywhere, I cant download the animation.

Never had any errors with DivX before, certainly not memory related. Maybe Lightwave is a little easier to set encoding with, I haven't worked with 3DSMax much so I cant say.

The largest single file I've encoded with DivX was the start to a fan-made Star Wars movie that I was commisioned to do. It was set to the original Star Wars opening soundtrack so the whole thing ran to just under 3 minutes long. It was in DVD format (720x486) with stereo sound and I think it came out at just over 20 meg when encoded with DivX. Any other codec came out at ridiculous sizes.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

The link was wrong. Now it´s right:

Click Me

I don´t do the encoding in Max, i render to targas and put them together in Premiere. This time i did it in After Effects, though, because Premiere would permanently hang when i hit the render button for some reason.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

I use After-Effects myself for creating final animations as well. I render everything as a JPEG sequence though and import it into AE so that I can then make the final output in any codec I like without having to re-render the whole thing in Lightwave again. My little 'Battle of the Planets' animation was done exactly this way; rendered as individual Jpegs and then stitched together with sound added in After-Effects 6.5 and exported as a DivX-6.1 avi file. I've never used Premier myself, I think AE has all the functions I could ever need for doing special-effects animation.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:I use After-Effects myself for creating final animations as well. I render everything as a JPEG sequence though and import it into AE so that I can then make the final output in any codec I like without having to re-render the whole thing in Lightwave again. My little 'Battle of the Planets' animation was done exactly this way;
Is it up for download somewhere?
rendered as individual Jpegs and then stitched together with sound added in After-Effects 6.5 and exported as a DivX-6.1 avi file. I've never used Premier myself, I think AE has all the functions I could ever need for doing special-effects animation.
Premiere is not made for special effects. You can do some simple things but it´s actually made for cutting and stuff like that.