Fucking hymnal loser "artists!" (rant)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Fucking hymnal loser "artists!" (rant)

Post by Master of Ossus »

I hate people who try and "remake" old songs. They're good for a frickin' reason, people, and it's not because people like you can change everything that made them good in your remixes.

I was trying to find a good version of "Lord of the Dance" the other day, preferably with the vocals but I could've settled for an instrumental-only piece if I had to. I then came to the sad conclusion that NO ONE would let me download one that wasn't horribly mangled by their crappy revisions of the song. I'm not trying to pay for someone to screw around with the music--I just want the ORIGINAL FRICKIN' PIECE, performed as it was written to have been. Of course, I can get a terribly low-quality midi of the instrumental piece for free, but I was perfectly willing to pay someone to provide me with the song in a version that doesn't make me want to throw my MP3 player into the nearest major waterway. I wouldn't even particularly mind the revised versions of the song if SOMEONE SOMEWHERE provided the original in a well-performed way, but apparently no "artists" decided to take the time to do that.

I noticed this a little while ago when I was trying to find a good version of "Battle Hymn of the Republic," too. Apparently every single fucking musician out there has to take the song and then mangle it beyond recognition before releasing it to the general public. I hate those losers. A big fuck you goes to Mary O'Hara and all the rest of those so-called "artists."
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I do have a decent version of "Battle Hymn" on a US Army Band CD I bought after Christmas, but I know what you mean. I had similar problems with several older orchestral pieces (though I cannot remember what they were, my memory being what it is).
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I understand your frustration, but I honestly prefer covers to the original pieces most of the time, I've already heard the original version, so why not listen to what other people think the song means?
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Qwerty 42 wrote:I understand your frustration, but I honestly prefer covers to the original pieces most of the time, I've already heard the original version, so why not listen to what other people think the song means?
Because sometimes what they think is wrong.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

*most* of the time what they think is wrong.

Besides, they didn't live in the same time period as the song was written so they probably cannot "understand" it.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Qwerty 42 wrote:I understand your frustration, but I honestly prefer covers to the original pieces most of the time, I've already heard the original version, so why not listen to what other people think the song means?
Again, covers are okay given that the original is accessible. The problem is, in many cases (including the ones listed), that isn't a given. And I challenge you to go to iTunes or Napster and listen to some of the mangled renditions of "Lord of the Dance" and claim to me that they're better than the original.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Heh heh; sorry MoO, but I think I have Lord of the Dance.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Hey MoO, may I suggest visiting the Library of Congress? I downloaded a top-notch MP3 of "Fanfare for the Common Man" there.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Again, covers are okay given that the original is accessible. The problem is, in many cases (including the ones listed), that isn't a given. And I challenge you to go to iTunes or Napster and listen to some of the mangled renditions of "Lord of the Dance" and claim to me that they're better than the original.
I understand that, but if the original is available, I don't mind the existance of covers. If I don't like the cover, so be it. I still have the original. If I do like the cover, great, I have this one and the original.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Setesh
Jedi Master

Re: Fucking hymnal loser "artists!" (rant)

Post by Setesh »

Master of Ossus wrote:I hate people who try and "remake" old songs. They're good for a frickin' reason, people, and it's not because people like you can change everything that made them good in your remixes.

I was trying to find a good version of "Lord of the Dance" the other day, preferably with the vocals but I could've settled for an instrumental-only piece if I had to. I then came to the sad conclusion that NO ONE would let me download one that wasn't horribly mangled by their crappy revisions of the song. I'm not trying to pay for someone to screw around with the music--I just want the ORIGINAL FRICKIN' PIECE, performed as it was written to have been. Of course, I can get a terribly low-quality midi of the instrumental piece for free, but I was perfectly willing to pay someone to provide me with the song in a version that doesn't make me want to throw my MP3 player into the nearest major waterway. I wouldn't even particularly mind the revised versions of the song if SOMEONE SOMEWHERE provided the original in a well-performed way, but apparently no "artists" decided to take the time to do that.

I noticed this a little while ago when I was trying to find a good version of "Battle Hymn of the Republic," too. Apparently every single fucking musician out there has to take the song and then mangle it beyond recognition before releasing it to the general public. I hate those losers. A big fuck you goes to Mary O'Hara and all the rest of those so-called "artists."
It could be worse, just remember, every Barney song is sung to the tune of a classic children's song. I have met children who if you hum 'Bingo', or 'Knickknackpaddywhack' will respond with the Barney song. My eardrums bleed in sympathy.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Dalton, where exactly did you go on the LoC website to download music, as opposed to simply viewing catalogue information about it?
Proud member of the no sigs club.