George Lucas receives Tech Reward from President Bush

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

George Lucas receives Tech Reward from President Bush

Post by Sharpshooter »

It's not quite N&P, it's not quite PSW, and I'm hesitant to put it in OST, so I'll stick it here. If you mods feel otherwise, do what you will.
Variety.com wrote:Tech kudos to Lucas
National tech medal awarded to helmer, f/x house

By WILLIAM TRIPLETT

Saluting "30 years of innovation in visual effects technology in the motion picture industry," President Bush presented George LucasGeorge Lucas and Industrial Light & Magic with the National Medal of Technology.
At several points during the Monday morning ceremony, which took place in a packed East Room of the White House, Bush emphasized his administration's desire to promote math and science to kids and encourage them to go into tech fields. Numerous studies have found an alarming decline in tech savvy and interest among American students compared to kids in other countries.

But afterward, Lucas, who said he was pleased to receive the award, wondered whether the Bush administration might need some f/xf/x work of its own to succeed.

"Things are obviously not going well, but whether they can turn it around remains to be seen," he said.

Asked if he offered to help Bush solve any problems, in Iraq for instance, Lucas replied, "I kept my mouth shut. I promised all my PR people I would."

Date in print: Tue., Feb. 14, 2006, Los Angeles
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

This is phase 1. In phase 2, Bush has Lucas arrange things so that the lawyer fired at Cheney first to have it more in keeping with his vision.
Chuck

Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

I can't help but think, though, that the timing is a little too convenient for this to happen. [Tin Foil Hat]The Republicans invoke the Galactic Empire in describing the Democrats; the Democrats supposedly enlist Lucas; and shortly thereafter, Lucas gets awarded by the Republican Head Honcho himself.[/TFH]

This concludes the Dumb-Ass Thought of the DayTM
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

so how much longer before we have AT-AT's protecting our convoys in iraq?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

So is Bush trying to sweet-talk Lucas into doing a Special Edition of his presidency?
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

A SE where Sadaam shoots first?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Durandal wrote:So is Bush trying to sweet-talk Lucas into doing a Special Edition of his presidency?

"This time around we've been able to digitally re-insert the WMDs that weren't there the first time so that the whole production looks more like we wanted it to look."
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I would bet good money that it relates to the Star Wars parody shown at the House Republicans' Retreat.