BSG Wallpaper request

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

BSG Wallpaper request

Post by Agent Fisher »

I need help. I'm looking for a large image to serve as a back ground. I've want an image of Galactica with her Flak barrier going, like in the first episode of the second season.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Or any nice shots of the Galactica.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Shots from every imaginable angle can be found here.
Someone used them to make this.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Those images confirm what I've thought ever since Pegasus made it's first appearance: BS Galatica is a much sexier vessel.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Braedley wrote:Those images confirm what I've thought ever since Pegasus made it's first appearance: BS Galatica is a much sexier vessel.
I can't really say anything, since while Galactica is good looking ship, I have no idea what the Pegasus looks like (I've seen (sadly) no episodes of nBSG)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Lord Revan wrote:
Braedley wrote:Those images confirm what I've thought ever since Pegasus made it's first appearance: BS Galatica is a much sexier vessel.
I can't really say anything, since while Galactica is good looking ship, I have no idea what the Pegasus looks like (I've seen (sadly) no episodes of nBSG)
BLAMMO!!

http://www.battlestarwiki.org/en/images ... asus02.jpg

http://www.battlestarwiki.org/en/images ... asus01.jpg
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Is it then safe to presume that all those funky ridges Galactica has are attachment points for armour, given that Pegasus doesn't appear to have said ridges, but a smooth surface instead?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I forget if it was actually mentioned in the series, But since Galactica was being decomissioned, most of it's outter armour was being stripped off, hence all the exposed "Ribs"
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I forget if it was actually mentioned in the series, But since Galactica was being decomissioned, most of it's outter armour was being stripped off, hence all the exposed "Ribs"
It wasn't mentioned in any of the shows that I've seen, so that explains that. Thought as much; the alternative notion that they were radiator fins, postulated at some point here on the board, just didn't jive with me...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

That's ridiculous. If they were radiator fins, then they would stick out away from the ship instead of wrap around it.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Its possible that they are merely "shrapnel catchers". Part of a system of interior bulkeads that extend out beyond the skin of the ship, which serve to channel explosions, so that only one section is affected by the hit, rather than adjoining sections to.

This may have been made redundant by better armour and PDS that the Pegasus likely has.
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

There are some who insist that Galactica can't have had a smooth covering of armor because it would cover the point defense guns. That really doesn't make sense to me though, it's easy enough just to leave holes for the guns.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Galactica took a nuke to it's flightpod and survived, I doubt very much that it's had armour stripped off it.
:D
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Well, Galactica was in the process of being decomissioned. Her armor was being removed, but the removal wasn't completed when she had to be put back into service.

The process probably just started, considering she had all of her weapons emplacements still active and even a flight team remaining aboard.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

It was getting turned into a museum ship. It doesn't make sense that they'd remove the armor. One of the things about museum ships is that they tend to be in the same shape they were when they left service. It's not as if they had a pressing need to reuse the armor, either.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Perhaps... but theres really no other explanation for having a "half armoured" ship...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

it's possible that they striped Galctica of it's armor before it was desided to turn it into a museum ship.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

I find it really really unlikely that Galactica is unarmored, considering that #1 the nuke hit an "unarmored" section of the Galactica without completely blowing it off, all in all it withstood the impact quite well. From what Admiral Cane was saying about how they escaped the shipyards we know that two nukes are capable of destroying at least one battlestar.
:D
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

I've always doubted that the entire ship was sheathed in armor. Note that all the point defence guns are under the ribs.

+http://www.starshipbuilder.com/bsg2003/ ... 28_005.jpg

Also note those thrusters on the bow and the windows below the ribs in that canyon. The extra armor is probably over very critical areas. The area that was nuked (The Galactica markings) was near a tylium fuel depot for Vipers.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

StarshipTitanic wrote:I've always doubted that the entire ship was sheathed in armor. Note that all the point defence guns are under the ribs.

Also note those thrusters on the bow and the windows below the ribs in that canyon. The extra armor is probably over very critical areas. The area that was nuked (The Galactica markings) was near a tylium fuel depot for Vipers.
Yeah, but also look at how patchwork it is, like the underside of the flight pod. I think the explanation that they were stripping it of armor makes more sense, and there's always the idea that it has two layers. One thin layer of armor, then the buffer space formed by the ribs, and then a second thicker layer, possibly.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Jadeite wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:I've always doubted that the entire ship was sheathed in armor. Note that all the point defence guns are under the ribs.

Yeah, but also look at how patchwork it is, like the underside of the flight pod. I think the explanation that they were stripping it of armor makes more sense, and there's always the idea that it has two layers. One thin layer of armor, then the buffer space formed by the ribs, and then a second thicker layer, possibly.
While that sounds plausible, would it really work?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Jadeite wrote:Yeah, but also look at how patchwork it is, like the underside of the flight pod. I think the explanation that they were stripping it of armor makes more sense, and there's always the idea that it has two layers. One thin layer of armor, then the buffer space formed by the ribs, and then a second thicker layer, possibly.
If they were stripping it of armor, why did they leave so much of it? Either take nearly all or leave it, leaving about a third doesn't make sense. However, the placement of the armor makes a lot of sense. Engines, flightpods, the "head" (Which probably holds most of the critical systems).

Layers doesn't mean the entire ship had to be covered in that armor.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Actually, the ribs might be a deliberate design. Since their is no reason for the Galactica to be aerodynamic, the ribs could serve to provide a heavy layer of protection at certain angles and force enemy ships to attack Galactica head on or broadside, either of which is a bad idea.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei