Euro Metal Recommendations

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Euro Metal Recommendations

Post by General Zod »

Simple enough thread. Looking to check out other metal groups of non American origin, so I was hoping a few of the native Europeans on the board could provide a few recommendations of metal bands to check out. A few lists would be appreciated.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Anal Stench - appalling name, but they are fucking cool as shit! Russian or Ukranian or something, they have song titles like "crucified by vodka" and "Sputnik" and "Go Gegarin, Go!"

Carcass - british gods of goregrind (earlier stuff, that I don't really like) and their later stuff is amazing, really groovy death metal.

Bolt Thrower - more british gods of slower death metal.

In Flames - long standing gothenburg style metal. Think growly vocals with iron maiden style tempos and cool drumming.

Arch Enemy - similar to In Flames, lots of guitar soloes. Got a female singer at some point, then weren't as good.

Soilwork - a nice mix of electronics, melodies and gothenburg-style metal.

The Project Hate MCXCIX - mix of death metal male vocals, lacuna coil style female vocals, and fairly solid instrumentation. Mid-paced.

Behemoth - awesome brutal death metal in their later stuff, obviously inspired a lot by Nile at this point, lots of egyptian imagery mixed with thelemic themes, instrumentation is quite technical, lots of greek and arabian sounding bits, earlier stuff is kinda lame black metal.

Dimmu Borgir - probably the best band for OTT orchestral black metal.

Bal Sagoth - excellent british "battle metal" band (black metal but with all sorts of weird scifi, mythos and fantasy mixed in) lots of keyboards, excellent guitaring, vocals are mainly spoken word with different voices for the various characters. Soon to be releasing "The Chthonic Chronicles".

Anaal Nathrakh - post black metal/grind/industrial - I love this band, fucking harsh as hell, technical instrumentation, and a good mix of industrial in there, like a super harsh version of kmfdm. British, from Birmingham.

kmfdm - industrial metal that you should already know about.

Vader - ass-kicking, really cleanly produced death metal with an industrial tinge to it. I've just got into them and they totally kick ass.

Entombed - more death metal, wolverine blues is a really catchy album, all their other stuff apart from morning star is pretty mediocre, you only really need those two albums.

Therion - orchestral metal that you should already know about.

Zyklon - founded by some guy from Emperor I think, more death metal.

Kill II This - quite catchy industrial metal, like kmfdm. British.

Grave - pioneers of death metal that have largely been overtaken by lesser acts. Fiendish regression was released in 2004 and is brilliant.

Mors in Tabula - they added my band on myspace, pretty cool greek industrial metal.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Mobius
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobius »

Metal is far too generic :twisted:

Power: In Flames, Ed Guy, Hammerfall
(In Flames is really great)

Symphonic: Nightwish (the most popular band of the scene), Within Temptation (dutch band with is labelled pop in the Netherland but is Gothic Metal everywhere else), Therion, After Forever/Epica (kinda Within Temptation)

Black Metal: Impaled Nazarene, Seth, Marduk, Immortal, Emperor, Seigneur Voland, Anorexia Nervosa
(Impaled Nazarene is my pick even if it's far from representativity of the european Black Metal scene)

Doom/melancolic: My Dying Bride, Dark Tranquility
(Dark Tranquility just rock)

Death Metal: Misanthrope (french band with a particuliar scenic/musical style)

nu Metal: Lacuna Coil (kind cheesy Italian soft metal, but i like it anyway)

that's my favorite euro metal bands.
XET360 belgian news for Xbox 360
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Rammstein
I don't listen heavy metal, barring an occasional Nightwish song, but this band from Germany is an exception to the rule. If the word "powerful" needs to be described with a good example in a dictionary, Rammstein's vocals sung in German would just be that. Their latest album Rosenrot consiting of leftover material from earlier work isn't all that good, IMHO, but Sehnsucht, Reise Reise and Mutter are all worth checking out.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

I can recommend some good viking and folk-black metal bands:

Einherjer, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Falkenbach, Finntroll, Moonsorrow.

All are from Europe.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Amon Amarth!
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Yeah, what they said.
Plus

Bathory: My all-time favorite. From primordial black metal to epic viking metal, with a little thrash thrown in.

Rotting Christ: Symphonic black metal from Greece. One of my favorites.

The Crown: Shredding swedish death metal. Highly recommended.

Rhapsody: Symphonic epic metal at its most over-the-top.

Norther, Kalmah, Cryptic Wintermoon, Imperanon, and Wintersun: Fast black metal in the style of Children of Bodom. Cryptic Wintermoon has a decidely more gothic feel to it.

Caliban and Heaven Shall Burn: Hard-hitting metalcore (no, I don't know what that means)

Godflesh: One of my favorites, but obscure and not too popular. Slow, grinding industrial music from one of the founding members of Napalm Death.

Amon Amarth: Good mid-paced and slow death metal.

Also:
Naglfar, early Sentenced, early Tiamat, (did anyone mention Blind Guardian?), Borknagar, Samael, and At The Gates.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

TheMuffinKing wrote:Amon Amarth!
Oh shit, how did I forget them. My mind must be screwed up from all the head banging. Image
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Definitely a Within Temptation fan here, along with After Forever, Edguy, and Tobias Sammet's (the man from Edguy) Avantasia.

Avantasia is, in my opinion, just about the best music ever written.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Darth Quorthon wrote: Rhapsody: Symphonic epic metal at its most over-the-top.
Shit, I meant to note them but had forgotten by posting, anyway, Rhapsody get a special mention for having Christopher Lee in their band, sounding like Saruman.

Also, more OTT blast-speed power metal = Dragonforce.
Caliban and Heaven Shall Burn: Hard-hitting metalcore (no, I don't know what that means)
It means they're emo kids trying to be metal. :P
Samael,
I don't believe I forgot Samael, they're one of my favourite bands, and I know I made a mental note to mention them before I posted.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Excellent. This should be plenty to get a good feel for the various Euro stuff out there.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Rye wrote:
It means they're emo kids trying to be metal. :P
Hey hey hey.... :wink:
Actually, they sound a lot like Soilwork, but slower and with less electronics, you know, melodic death, but someone came up with the "metalcore" sub-genre.

I forgot some too. Like Skyfire, Enslaved, ...And Oceans, Amorphis(early is best), Lanfear, Mayhem, Satyricon, Sonata Arctica, and Thanatos.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis