[Star Trek] Possible Defiant Successor

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Quite likely, considering that it outguns most anything its size and outruns anything big enough to kill it.
That's interesting, you might say that Starfleet is trying to apply the historical concept of the battlecruiser, but rather than the trade-off of relatively thin armour they're instead stripping the non-combat systems (as demonstrated successfully by the Defiant).
Ma Deuce wrote:
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
Red Star wrote:That looks like one badass ship,
Yup, it is. Remember, this is the successor to the Defiant.
Looks nice, but it doesn't look right as a Defiant sucessor. For me, the Defiant's stocky, compact build evokes the image of a tank, and I think any sucessor should reflect that as well.

But that's just my opinion, of course.
I think the main difference is that this is extending the Defiant's role to fast and versatile planetary operations, hence the streamlining and control surfaces. It might not be so much a successor as a new complementary type - there must have been design sacrifices for the great atmospheric capability.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

Battlecruiser I can see, but I'm struggling to see why it would need exceptional atmospheric capability? Apart from looking good, that is.

Trek ships very rarely enter the atmosphere of planets, and with good reason. They can do pretty much anything they like from the relative safety of orbit, such as bombard targets, shoot down ships, scan wide areas and can place people on the surface in moments via transporter or minutes via shuttle.

The only time we really see smaller trek capital ships in atmosphere is because they're coming in to land, and they dont need wings and so forth for that. They land, do what they need to do and then get back to orbit sharpish so that they have freedom of manouver and full sensor visibility again. This does not look like a landing ship.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

I just have to say that ship doesn't seem like a Trek ship at all to me. I appreciate the time and effort that must have been spent designing that, but it doesn't have the design aesthetic of a Federation built ship. The wings, for example, are totally out of place.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:Trek ships very rarely enter the atmosphere of planets, and with good reason. They can do pretty much anything they like from the relative safety of orbit, such as bombard targets, shoot down ships, scan wide areas and can place people on the surface in moments via transporter or minutes via shuttle.
I suppose one reason might be the problems with anomalies/fields/etc blocking transporters, so this ship is capable of rapidly transporting people/objects (including things too big to transport like Argo SUVs] up and down from a planet without relying on transporters. Medevac and covert insertion are other possibilities that spring to mind.

It could also gather sensor data (perhaps even trekport stuff) by getting up close and 'burning through' jamming, while being maneuverable enough to avoid getting shot down.
DesertFly wrote:I just have to say that ship doesn't seem like a Trek ship at all to me. I appreciate the time and effort that must have been spent designing that, but it doesn't have the design aesthetic of a Federation built ship.
The same might be said of the Defiant. Maybe future surface details like the irregular dark-grey patchwork of the Defiant, the two dorsal rows of circular structures and similar painted-on hull markings might make it look more Feddish.

One suggestion i just thought of is to make the asses of the nacelles glow blue, c.f.:
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:Battlecruiser I can see, but I'm struggling to see why it would need exceptional atmospheric capability? Apart from looking good, that is.

Trek ships very rarely enter the atmosphere of planets, and with good reason. They can do pretty much anything they like from the relative safety of orbit, such as bombard targets, shoot down ships, scan wide areas and can place people on the surface in moments via transporter or minutes via shuttle.

The only time we really see smaller trek capital ships in atmosphere is because they're coming in to land, and they dont need wings and so forth for that. They land, do what they need to do and then get back to orbit sharpish so that they have freedom of manouver and full sensor visibility again. This does not look like a landing ship.
But I can see where a ship designed for it might be useful, most trek ships are rather heavely dependant on just that senario, notice how many complete fuck-ups started with an inability to use the transporters. In the kind of warfare role he's building this for the ability to dive into atmosphere and unload troops to the ground while providing cover for then is a benefit. Since its a 'successor' to the Defient it may have the same basic role of a fast attack ship that runs around the 'big boy' ships taking potshots.

The Defient was never meant as a stand alone vessel, though they used it as one once they got the cloacking device installed.

This ship seems designed to operate under the assumption the standard trek tactics have been countered and this gem flies in with a differant game plan.

(If I was going to add this to a fic I'd have Scotty design it. He's got to be damn bored whereever he took that shuttle and it would explain the 'retro' look.)
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Klaatu... Barada... NIKTO!!

VENTRAL VIEW!

Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Is this necroing? :lol:

Fleshed out the torpedo launchers and figured out how to put an aft launcher (in theory one can put a second topside too if room for ammo is found or made), and added a railgun of some sort, to be possibly replaced by an extensible repeating phaser turret...
Image Image
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Okay, how do you do that?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Ford Prefect wrote:Okay, how do you do that?
No idea mang... :P

Image Image
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Dammit Einy, we need a side view on this pronto!
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Torpedo Launcher, enlarged 3x.
Image Image
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Side view Ein.. We need sideviews, not torp launchers.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Looks like it's getting close to done...
Image Image
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

No it's not, there's no side view. You cant ignore the will of the people forever you know.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:No it's not, there's no side view. You cant ignore the will of the people forever you know.
I was talking about the ventral view. :P I'm thinking out the shapes for a side view.
Image Image