Dawn of Forever, Part XXXI-XLIX

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

consequences wrote:I'm sorry, I realise that the mid-sentence scene shifts are a neat stylistic device, but I couldn't help but have flashbacks to Austin Powers. :oops:
Heh, I call this chapter my salute to Monty Python, in that most of the sections don't have a beginning or an ending, but jump right into the middle of things. This way, though, we can keep the pace high and check in on a lot of the main characters before things really start getting dicey. :)
Chuck

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Sonnenburg wrote:Sebastian looked at the shield emitters and ground his teeth. "We may have to steal it."
"How can you have a yellow alert in spacedock?!"
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

I liked the way that chapter was written. It was a good way to catch up on a lot. Can't wait for the next chapter.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Dalton wrote:
Sonnenburg wrote:Sebastian looked at the shield emitters and ground his teeth. "We may have to steal it."
"Sir....someone is steeling the Penis Envy!"
"....I'm on my way!"
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
Dalton wrote:
"Sir....someone is steeling the Penis Envy!"
"....I'm on my way!"
You nut-nuts. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XXXVII

"Steal it?" Romal said, not bothering to be diplomatic. "Steal an Eclipse-class Star Destroyer? Are you out of your mind?"

"The jury's still out on that one," Sebastian said as he continued to stare at the telemetry from the Vong planet.

"Do you have any idea what it takes to run one of those things?" Romal demanded. "It's not a matter of swiping the keys and taking it out for a joy ride. The ship requires a crew of thousands-"

"I know," Sebastian said, clearly irritated. "But what's the alternative? They're not going to just give it to us, and I doubt any price tag they put on it would be something we could give them. We need that ship... it's our only hope."

"Don't the Borg have a superlaser?" Janet asked. "I thought you- they- whatever, I thought the Borg blew up Coruscant."

"Yes," the Queen said. "But we lost a great deal of data when the Collective was destroyed. We have bits and pieces of information on hypermatter reactors, enough to start. Perhaps the Empire could fill in the gaps."

"Terraine said that the Emperor classified the information and kept it a tightly guarded secret," Sebastian said. "Our allies don't have it, and we've no idea where to start looking for it. And even then, the time necessary to research, design, test... we're talking years before we'd have a weapon ready, and the Vong aren't going to give us those years. But that Eclipse is ready now. The Vong know we're coming, but they won't know we're packing that. No matter what it takes, we have to get that ship!"

"But how?" Romal demanded.

Sebastian was silent. "Everyone out," he said. They looked at one another, but obeyed. Sebastian slowly limped up to the controls and initiated a secure connection with Volgo Terraine. "Are you alone?"

"Yes, prefect."

"There's a way we can do this," Sebastian said slowly. "But it won't be pleasant."

"Ours is not a pleasant business," Terraine said.

"Still..." Sebastian sighed, then told him the plan.

"It can be done," Terraine said. "It will be difficult, but we can do it."

"Could your men carry through on it?" Sebastian said.

"They're professionals," Terraine said.

"Good." He let out a quivering breath. "Tell me there's no other way, Mr. Terraine," he said. "Tell me that I have no choice."

"There are no viable alternatives," Terraine said. "But if Captain Sisko taught me anything, it was that we always have a choice, even if it may seem fate forces our hand. We make choices, and must accept their ramifications."

Sebastian nodded. "I can end this war in one stroke with that ship. I can spare hundreds of billions of lives that would be lost trying to beat back the Vong." He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. "And all it costs is a piece of my soul." Terraine waited in silence. "Do it," Sebastian finally said.

Terraine nodded. "As you command, prefect."
--------------------------------------------------------------

The Sith took up various positions in the entertainment lounge, waiting silently for the arrival of the Oracle. It was rare that she didn't summon them to the lab, or the cavern outside it, but at least being in here made it less likely she was planning on killing someone. There were six monitors lit up, each offering various entertainments from throughout the galaxy. They were muted as the Oracle walked in.

The Oracle looked at each in turn as she strode to the holoprojector at the center of the room. She stood in silence for almost a minute, just watching them; it was chilling, even to a Sith. "Your thoughts, all of you, betray your doubt," the Oracle chastised. "I suppose that's only natural. The failure of the strongest among you to accomplish the simplest task," she glared at Ben, "is troubling. And I will admit that the late Jorrielle is resisting my powers, though it appears that there is some kind of force that is interfering in her revivification. I've seen it happen once before, so while it is frustrating, it isn't without precedent. Still, since things appear lost, I feel it is time to make you fully aware of our situation, so you don't get any strange ideas.

"I gathered you all here, one way or another, to accomplish three goals. The first was to topple the Empire, which we all agree was a corrupt and wasted government. There we have already succeeded. The second is to establish a Sith Empire across both galaxies, which will come in time. The final is our age-old task of wiping out our Jedi enemies. The latter two will be aided by our coming objective, but first I need to know that you are all committed to those goals, and to me. Anything else is not important." She called to each, by name, and asked for their affirmation; they gave it, even Ben. Molly was the last, but after that the Oracle strode up to her. "Are you certain?" she asked. "Are you completely committed, willing to pay any price?"

"Yes master."

"Because what I'm about to tell you will test your resolve, girl," the Oracle said. "I must know that you will not falter."

"I am committed, my master."

"Good," the Oracle said. "Now, the young Jedi Sebastian has gotten himself in far over his head. I'd hoped that using his mother and wife we could push him into the dark side, but with the obstacle surrounding the woman we'll have to go to the secondary plan." She walked towards the monitors and stared up at them, quiet. "Sebastian has made a grave mistake," she said in a low voice. "He has underestimated my resolve. As I said, you must be prepared to pay any price, make any sacrifice, and I ask no more of you than I would do myself. That's why there is only one way for us to proceed." She turned back to the gathered Sith. "We must destroy Earth."

Molly swallowed. "This is to kill the Jedi, yes? Surely there's another way-"

"This will kill the Jedi," the Oracle said, "but it will also show our resolve, and put fear into the hearts of those who oppose us. Sebastian mistakenly assumed that I wouldn't be willing to go that far; when he realizes his failure resulted in nine billion deaths..."

"Sebastian's weak," Ben said irritably. "Why bother doing this to goad him?"

"Sebastian is the prefect of the Alliance, and that makes him their weakness. If we turn him to the dark side, we bring him into our fold, and all that power becomes ours. Even if systems fall away, the hold he has over the Borg will be invaluable. After all, the Borg have no morality... dark, light, it's all the same to them."

Molly's eyes were downcast, but she looked up into the Oracle's face. "My mother is on Earth," she explained. "I am committed to our cause, master, but I ask that her life be spared."

The Oracle's expression was unreadable. "Done," she said. "We'll evacuate Keiko before the destruction and deposit her elsewhere where she will be safe. Will that satisfy you?"

"Yes," Molly nodded. "Thank you, my master."

The Oracle gave a slight nod. "Now, if you're wondering how I intend to carry this out, it will involve this." She activated the holoprojector, which showed an incomplete Death Star. "I'm sure you've heard about it, and if you're curious, yes, that was our doing. Elim Garak and Lando Calrissian were responsible for repairing and deploying this Death Star against Chandrilla, and they've been spending every moment since trying to repair the damage to it. In two days, they'll be finished. We will be taking it from them. To do that will involve all of you in one way or another. I expect you all to carry out your tasks fully. Failure will be dealt with harshly."

The Oracle gestured and the wire diagram expanded to two meters in diameter. "Garak and Calrissian have been useful tools, but the time of their usefulness has ended. After today they will only serve as a liability." She pointed to an area in the hologram. "This is the command center, aka the firing room, where the controls for the Death Star's primary weapon are. Garak and Calrissian will be here, and that will be the tightest of the security. Ben, Molly, despite your failure on Vidik-" the Oracle didn't even bother hiding her disgust "-you have demonstrated competence against hordes of non-Force users. You two will take the command center and eliminate any resistance. You're also charged with killing Garak and Calrissian."

"Yes, my master," Ben said.

The Oracle took a step closer and raised a long, bony digit towards his face. "Don't fail me again," she said icily. Ben's eyes dropped with respect, and she turned back to the hologram. "This is the primary docking bay," the Oracle indicated, "and where we'll be making our landing. Once we're docked, no one leaves unless I allow it. Any who try will be killed." She turned to Alema. "You'll be piloting the ship and thus are responsible for it; you'll be the last off. Once you’re finished it will fall to you and Mareth to carry out that order. Kill any who try to escape."

"Yes, master," Alema and the Romulan answered.

"Garak is a cunning adversary," the Oracle continued. "He's hidden an emergency shuttle on this secondary docking bay here," she indicated the point on the hologram. "Yelsar and Di'Bol, you two will take a second shuttle, land there, and similarly ensure no one leaves without my permission. Any trying to escape must die." The two Sith nodded in understanding.

"Now, we are not going to the Death Star to exterminate," the Oracle continued. "The workers there have spent the past year maintaining that battlestation, and they can do so for us as well. Jowana, Triss, and Shodah, you three will be responsible for pacifying the crew and mopping up any Cardassian security forces."

"What if the workers resist, master?" Jowana asked. "What are we permitted to do?"

"Kill only if it's unavoidable," the Oracle said. "The Death Star is very, very old and will require a great deal of work to maintain, but it will be a great asset for us. If too many are lost, we'll have to acquire new ones, which will be a waste of time and resources and potentially tip our hand."

"Understood, master," Jowana said.

"Good. Now, Torda and Aren," the Oracle said, turning to the Aqualish and Ventaxian, "your assignment may seem minor, but it is no less important. Seven is an irritant, but at the moment she's potential leverage against Sebastian Skywalker, and thus a weapon against the Alliance. I don't wish to lose any edge against them. You'll remain here to ensure she doesn't try anything. If she gets out, she must be stopped from escaping, but alive."

"[Damaged?]" Torda asked.

"I leave that up to your discretion," the Oracle said. "But if she ceases being an asset I will be gravely disappointed." That was all that needed to be said; the Oracle's unspoken threats always trumped anything words could express. "As for myself, I will be at the reactor, inspecting the repair work first hand. I am to be kept abreast of any deviations and failures... trying to cover it up will only anger me." She glared at them all in turn. "Any questions?" There were none. "We depart in three hours."

There were all manner of procedures in place to deal with shape-shifters, doppelgangers, replicants, and so on in the Empire. But then again, the Empire was gone, and while the remnants still clung to the power of their fleets, they were still vulnerable to someone who knew those procedures. Volgo Terraine, actually, had added several to the list when he became head of the ISB, but he'd kept a few secrets of his own, just in case. So, alone, Terraine managed to find his way on board the Vengeance and walk the corridors of the ship without question.

Terraine had changed a great deal over the decades. He'd been one of the changelings the Founders sent to infiltrate the Empire, but after the Great Link was wiped out, he settled into his cover. There was nothing else left for him to do but try to get on with his empty existence. When Sisko, in the form of the Emperor, finally came to him and offered him his position, well, Terraine had hesitated. He was afraid -and the irony was not lost on him- that it would change him. But it appealed to his instinctual desire for order, and eventually he came to work in the very Empire that had destroyed his people. But he worked to change that, to stop the senseless butchery and trampling of humanoid rights. But while the underground ISB adapted to his vision, Terraine changed himself. Pragmatism won out, so that over time he learned to accept the sacrifices that sometimes had to be made. Individuals would sometimes be lost to protect the lives of trillions. It was regrettable, but Terraine never shrunk away from necessity. So, when he encountered the two guards outside the door of the ship's commanding officer, he didn't hesitate in killing them, quickly and silently. An anaesthetizing gas was tossed into the room to keep the captain asleep while a couple of miniaturized holoprojectors replaced the guards with life-like counterparts. They wouldn't stand up to scrutiny, but they'd help buy some time. Terraine slipped inside the quarters, deposited the bodies, and bound the captain to a chair. He snapped an image of one of the walls, then placed the chair alongside it. He set up another projector and the wall moved less than a meter closer. Anyone who came in in a rush wouldn't notice it because they'd be too busy wondering what happened to the captain. It would buy them more time.

Terraine put a hypospray to Captain Palsin's neck and brought him around, but clasped a hand over his mouth. "Captain," Terraine said. "You are my prisoner. If you try to call for help I will kill you, nod if you understand." Palsin nodded, and the hand was removed. "Someone would like a private word with you," he said. A hologram of Sebastian appeared.

"Captain Palsin," Sebastian said. "I'm sorry we have to meet under these circumstances."

"I have nothing to say to you," Palsin said sharply. "I don't recognize your authority."

"Let's get down to brass tacks," Sebastian said, ignoring the remark. "You're the captain of the Eclipse mark II-class star destroyer Vengeance. We know all about it. We know it was a secret project begun by General Taar before his death and the collapse of the Empire, we know that General Corbin knew it was being built here and seized control of this world for the express purpose of getting this ship." Sebastian folded his hands and leaned forward. "He placed you in command because you are competent and loyal to him, which is why you're not inclined to listen to me."

"That's right," Palsin said sternly.

"Well, you must realize that while Corbin is busy worrying about his own petty ambitions, the Vong are growing stronger," Sebastian said. "The Alliance can't hold them back forever... sooner or later they're going to come here and kill everyone no matter whose side they're on."

"I follow my orders," Palsin said. "Corbin makes policy decisions."

"That decision was to seize power solely for his personal benefit," Sebastian said. "Now I need this ship to end the war, and I need your help to get it."

"Well you're not going to have it," Palsin said. "If you need Corbin's aid, ask for it."

"Henks asked for Cobin's aid, remember what happened to him?" Admiral Henks was in control of one of the other remnants. When the Vong tried a breakout into his territory he asked Corbin for help. It cost Henks fifty sectors of his territory. "I can't make those kinds of deals, captain. To pass control of worlds that came to me for protection over to a foreign power would be the worst betrayal."

"So instead you want me to betray my leader?"

"Yes," Sebastian admitted. "I know that's not an easy thing, but I wouldn't do it if I had another choice. The consequences are too great." Palsin looked away in disgust. "We will compensate you for it," Sebastian continued. "Money, promotion-"

"In exchange for my self-respect," Palsin said.

Sebastian paused. "You're a good man, captain. You have strength of conviction, probably what prompted Corbin to put you in command. But I need you, captain."

"The answer is no."

"Please," Sebastian hissed.

"No!"

Sebastian hung his head. "Show him," he said.

Terraine pulled out a second holo-projector and activated it. It showed Palsin's family surrounded by men in black outfits... men with blaster rifles. Palsin took a deep breath in shock at the sight. "It's a trick," he said finally.

Terraine pulled out a commlink. "Ecter."

One of the men said something to the woman and she said, "This morning you said that we'd take some time to go to the mountains together." Tears were in her eyes. "That you'd make the time for us."

Palsin swallowed. "No," he said. "They were protected-"

"Do you really think that Corbin's people could stand up to an ISB infiltration squad, captain?" Terraine asked.

"Captain," Sebastian said, "they're fine. Now, I need your help-"

"Help?" Palsin half-snarled. "You?"

"Yes," Sebastian said. "I promise you, if you help us, they'll be released back to you unharmed, and everything I promised you will be yours."

"And if I don't?" Palsin asked. "You're a Jedi, prefect."

“I’m a Borg, which means I’m cursed to be really good at math. Billions versus three, well, I’m not going to have to get a second opinion on that one.”

“You’re a Jedi,” Palsin said again. “You can’t go through with this.”

Sebastian swallowed. "I'm a very poor Jedi," he said. "You want me to say it? If you don't help me, I will k-" He looked down at his desk a moment. He was visibly struggling, but finally forced the words out. "I will kill your family."
Chuck

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Shit. that's good. Seb using good ol' fashioned evil threats. He going mental.
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Is revivification even a word? :D
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Wow. Sebastian is further down the patht to the dark side than I realized. All the same, not a choice I would want to make. I wonder if Garek has anything that the Oracle doesn't know about. Just hearing her be willing to destroy Earth is interesting.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Prozac the Robert wrote:Is revivification even a word? :D
+http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/revivification

Oh ye of little faith... :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:Shit. that's good. Seb using good ol' fashioned evil threats. He going mental.
Always fun to throw some things into a pot, seal it, and put it on a boil to see what happens. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Star Empire wrote:Wow. Sebastian is further down the patht to the dark side than I realized. All the same, not a choice I would want to make. I wonder if Garek has anything that the Oracle doesn't know about. Just hearing her be willing to destroy Earth is interesting.
So, do you think both are going to follow through on their threats, or just one, or none? Clock is ticking... :)
Chuck

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Sonnenburg wrote:
Star Empire wrote:Wow. Sebastian is further down the patht to the dark side than I realized. All the same, not a choice I would want to make. I wonder if Garek has anything that the Oracle doesn't know about. Just hearing her be willing to destroy Earth is interesting.
So, do you think both are going to follow through on their threats, or just one, or none? Clock is ticking... :)
I think Janeway's going to try to follow through But Calrissian's conscience will have made the thing rigged to blow rather than fire.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Isn't Volgo Terraine who I think he is...?
To Absent Friends

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

He's Odo.
Chuck

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sonnenburg wrote:So, do you think both are going to follow through on their threats, or just one, or none? Clock is ticking... :)
I think that both must go through on their threats - Sebastian, especially. How weak will they look if they make such bold threats yet don't follow through on them?
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Sonnenburg wrote:
I meant both, but come to think about it I'm not sure about either. Did the Oracle really tell the rest of the Sith her plan for the reasons she said? I could picture her saying all that just so they believed it (and maybe that info is supposed to make it the Jedi or Sebastian). She wants Earth to be her capital. I'm not convinced she really would consider wiping out the Jedi to be worth that sacrifice. She doesn't have that high an opinion of their strength anyway.

For Sebastian, I'm less sure. Hopefully he wouldn't really do it. He certainly won't kill them all if the captain refuses, because that would accomplish nothing (no more threats), but would he order anything done to one of them to get the captain to reconsider? I'm not sure. I lean toward no though. He can't stand to let innocent people die. The question becomes, which is worse, directly killing a few specific innocent people because of their relationship with someone or indirectly allowing billions (or trillions) to die in a war?
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XXXVIII

The threat hung there in the air, a practically tangible thing. Sebastian's men had Captain Palsin's family at their mercy, and the ultimatum had been given. Palsin had to deliver the Eclipse-II, or his family would die. Palsin was quiet for a moment, then shook his head slowly, eyes fixed on Sebastian. "You're bluffing."

"Captain, do you know how it feels to watch your wife die?" Sebastian asked. "It feels like someone is dissecting you while you're still conscious. It feels like someone is reaching inside you and finding the most precious part, and cutting it out and tossing it away-"

"Shut up!"

"I- I have billions of lives to think of captain," Sebastian said. "I am responsible for preserving those lives by whatever means are required. Please don't make me murder your family to make a point."

"I have a duty!" Palsin said.

"What's the point of duty if your family has to die for it?!!" Sebastian demanded. "It's not enough that you neglect them while they live, you'll take what time they have left?!!" He collapsed back into his chair. "For the last time, captain, I need that ship."

Palsin's jaw was trembling, but he did his best to remain stone-faced. "I have a duty."

Sebastian opened his mouth to give the order, but the words wouldn't come. She was there. She was watching. And she didn't approve. Sometimes you have to do an ugly thing, he thought. When you have so many lives to consider, you have to make the hard choice.

You mean the wrong choice, father.

They'll die anyway, Sebastian thought. The Vong will break out of the barrier and we'll all die.

Everyone dies eventually, father. That's not a justification to kill, especially an innocent person.

You don't understand!

Yes, I do father. Remember what mother said? How you share people in your vision? Well, take a good look at what your visions have been, father, they are about death and hate. Marnisch, Cirule, Terraine... "As you command, prefect."

I do what needs to be done!

Remember on Vidik? You looked at Ben and thought, "that could have been me." Well you were wrong, father. You should have thought "this could be me."

So what do I do?! Sebastian demanded. Let the Vong win? This is the lesser of two evils.

But it's still an evil, isn't it.

I... I have...

Look at you, father. You are prepared to kill a man's wife and children just to get to him... after all that you've lamented since Ben did this to you, you are prepared to visit that same evil on another. Is that what kind of man you really are, father?

Morgan-

Make a choice, father. But don't lie about what it is, or about what you are. What the Alliance is going to become will be decided by the words that come out of your mouth. Is it the dream of Unity, or have you only put a new face on the Empire?

Sebastian covered his face and wiped the dampness away. "Let them go," he said hoarsely.

Terraine's eyes widened just a little. "Prefect-"

"Do it," Sebastian said. "Ma'am... I apologize for what's happened. We'll leave you in peace."

"Prefect, I can't allow that," Terraine said. "The war hinges on this ship."

"Then it ends now," Sebastian said. "We'll fight to the bitter end, but we'll fight the real enemy."

"I'm sorry, prefect," Terraine said. "But that's not acceptable."

"Terraine," Sebastian said sharply. "No, it's over."

"Ecter," Terraine said, with the grim voice of one who is doing the hard but necessary thing. "Kill the woman."

"Ecter you pull that goddamn trigger and you'll wish you'd never been born!" Sebastian said.

"We are committed, prefect!" Terraine said. "This isn't going to remain a secret! You do this and don't follow through then everyone will see you as morally bankrupt and a coward! The Alliance is going to fall to pieces and the Vong will win!"

"Jon!" the woman shouted. "Why are you letting them do this?"

"Not a word, Liana," Palsin said.

"You're always going on about duty and honor, but how come Corbin's had you all sitting here safe and cozy while other people are dying to stop the Vong?"

"It's Corbin's choice-"

"And he's making the wrong ones!" Liana snapped. "And look at you... are you going to choose him over us?"

"It's a bluff, Liana."

"Jon, you are gambling with your sons' lives!" Liana exploded. "To defend a man who cares about no one but himself!"

"This isn't about him, it's about honor and discipline and courage! It's about being a good officer!"

"At the cost of being a poor husband and father?" Palsin opened to reply, but stopped himself. "Do the right thing, Jon," she pleaded. Palsin looked down at his feet. "Please, Jon."

"Fine," he said eventually, defeat saturating his voice. "Fine, I'll do it."

"Thank you, captain," Sebastian said.

"Don't thank me," Palsin fumed at him. "No matter what those people out there may think, I saw your true colors today, prefect. Behind that limping war hero façade you are just an evil little man, and I hope one day you're made to pay for that."

The room darkened as the holoprojectors switched off, then the lights came back up. Sebastian covered his eyes as he rubbed his temples. It all sounded so simple until you're actually sitting in that chair, making the decisions that would mean life and death for people you've never met. All his preparations had been to fight a war... no one taught him how to do this, how to live with this. He was without a compass in a place where the map only said "Here There Be Dragons," and he had the unpleasant feeling that if he wasn't careful, he was going to become one of them.

An alert sounded, and Lando's gut tightened. He rushed to the control panel and saw that it wasn't a problem with the station’s systems, although that would have been preferable. A ship had dropped out of hyperspace nearby. A shuttle... any ship could no doubt blow it away, but the Death Star prototype wasn't built to actually be a battlestation, so there was nothing they could do to stop it. Of course, there was a small chance that it was someone from the Alliance, someone who just wanted to arrest them for what they'd done. But he doubted it. The only one who could find the hidden Death Star was someone who possessed powers that, well, Lando didn't like thinking about. When the shield covering the docking bay entrance flickered and died without a shot being fired, all doubt was removed.

"Garak," Lando shouted. The Cardassian came over to the monitor. "Looks like you were right."

Garak watched the shuttle land and the Sith party descend the ramp. "She brought too many," he said flatly. "We can't win." He looked up at Lando. "But we can make her lose."

Lando already knew what he was planning. "Destroy the Death Star."

"I don't see why we should let her have it," Garak said. "You can do it, right?"

"No problem, it's held together by spit and baling wire. Power overload will do the trick; I can do it from here. What about our people?"

"We'll do what we can," Garak said. "But we both know the Oracle's going to kill them; maybe not today, but eventually."

Lando looked down at the controls. All this time rebuilding this thing just so he could blow it up. "Let's hope we take the Oracle with us," he said as he started.

"We can hope," Garak said. "How long will you need?"

"Fifteen minutes," Lando said. "After that the reaction will get out of control and it can't be stopped."

"Show me," Garak said. Lando did, and explained briefly what needed to be done. "We'll be primary targets," Garak said. "If anything happens, we split up, so that maybe one of us will have a chance of getting back here."

"There's a lot of Sith," Lando said.

Garak dropped a wooden box on the console. "I have my ace in the hole," he said.

Ben and Molly left the shuttle along with the rest of the Sith without any comment. Despite what the Oracle said, Ben knew this was a waste of his talents. Cardassian soldiers aren't even up to stormtroopers, and there would likely be only a handful that would resist. Garak and Calrissian were old men who couldn't have had a chance in their prime. That the Oracle had implied he could fail this was an insult matched only by the humiliation he'd felt over Vidik. When the Cardassian guards confronted him, Ben didn't bother with more than minimal effort; he just walked up the corridor at the same tired walk, deflecting the blasts with his two sabers before casually cutting them down.

Molly was a bit more energetic about it, but she seemed to see why Ben felt so put down by this. They were far below what she could accomplish as well. Ben had to admit a grudging respect for Molly. He was the one who failed on Vidik, not her, and yet she'd unfairly been given equal blame for what had happened. And yet, she never tried passing it off. She was loyal to Ben, even when he didn't deserve it... and surprisingly, that meant something to him. Maybe it was because her respect was all that he had left.

There were six guards outside the entrance to the firing room, but they didn't even slow the two Sith down. Molly and Ben stepped over their corpses and through the doors. Garak and Calrissian were at one of the controls. "Step away from there," Ben warned.

Garak flung a wooden box open and pulled out a lightsaber. "Stay back," he warned. "I've practiced enough to be a match even for you." He fumbled with it and the beam came on a second, then went out. He shook it irritably while Molly suppressed a laugh and Ben sighed. He held out his hand and the saber was yanked from Garak's grip. He was about to chide the Cardassian for the stupidity of the move when he remembered that Garak was no fool... and that his expression, instead of one of fear, had now switched to that other one that he'd seen too often... the one that screamed, "sucker!"

Before Ben could stop himself, his hand closed around the lightsaber, and his mind was overwhelmed by the presence of Darth Whind.

"Run!" Garak said as he bolted towards one of the exits even as Ben Skywalker crumpled helplessly onto the floor. Lando didn't ask questions, he ran as fast as his tired old body would allow in a different direction. Molly swore, but took off after Garak. Lando doubled back through a few access junctions and wound up back in the firing room. Ben was still there, helpless. Lando pulled out his blaster pistol... but it was shaking in his grip. He'd done a lot of awful things in his life. He'd killed people before when he had to, when he was looking down the other end of a blaster he never had any problem with firing first. But now, against a completely helpless adversary... maybe he should do it, but Lando's soul felt too dirty to pass judgment. He closed his eyes and ground his teeth, and squeezed-

The power pack ejected from the blaster, causing Lando to leap nearly half a meter in the air in shock. At the same time, the console was beeping; the emergency overrides were stopping the overload and needed to be manually disabled. He looked at Ben, then at the console. Maybe it was just a coincidence, his hand shaking knocking something loose... but Luke had always said that there was no such thing as luck. Lando scooped up the power pack and ran back to the console and got to work, leaving Ben where he was.

Garak was old, and thus most people would be inclined to call him "spry," but the truth was that Garak kept himself in shape. When he ran, he ran, age be damned. Molly was left racing trying to keep up, and it was only because of a flicker in her premonition that she caught herself before running into the ten Cardassians with blaster rifles waiting around the corner. The corner was peppered with shots while she focused herself. She could handle that many, but it would take concentration, and it would give Garak the time he wanted. Damn him! This should have been routine, but that insufferable Cardassian always had to overcomplicate even the simplest thing! Molly charged around the corner with her lightsaber flashing, catching the blasts and directing them back. It wasn't easy, but she overran them and cut them all down. She darted a short way past the dead guards, but Garak could have gone anywhere.

Molly pulled out her commlink. The Oracle was specific, she needed to be informed of this... failure. About what happened to Ben. About how Molly couldn’t catch an elderly man. And then expect the Oracle to actually follow through on her promise to spare Keiko O'Brien when this station was under her control. Molly leaned against the wall wearily, wondering how the hell she'd gone from being a rebel soldier to being in this insane situation.

Ben Skywalker looked up, and the universe was gone. There was only unending whiteness. He got up for all the good it did, and looked vainly for someone. He cried out; there was no answer.

Finally, there was the voice of Sisko. “It’s time, Ben,” he said darkly. “Today you answer for your crimes.” Ben looked around wildly, but there was no one. “Today is the day you will die.”

Captain Palsin arrived four days after their conversation. He'd made a few last minute arrangements to put men who weren't happy with Corbin in command with him. The ISB covered for him by causing some disturbances that drew attention away from what was happening. Corbin was a fair enough military commander but his approach to governing obviously left a lot to be desired. When the captain announced he was defecting to the Alliance to use the ship against the Vong, the attempted mutiny was small and easily quelled, the dissenters sent back to Corbin's space aboard Alliance transports. The truth was that most of the crew had been grinding their teeth making reports and doing inspections while their former comrades destroyed an enemy they'd spent so much of their lives fighting. Far from being outraged, the chance to go against the Vong only whetted their appetites.

Palsin himself, however, declined the promotion to admiral Sebastian offered and asked for time off. Whether it was to spend more time with the family he almost lost or just because he couldn't work for Sebastian, there was no time to dwell on it. Sebastian had the ship checked over thoroughly in anticipation for the final push into the Milky Way Vong territory. Admiral Cirule had been put in charge of preparing for the mission, and now all of the preparations and checks and other assorted minutia were completed, and Sebastian found himself on a shuttle to the ship to personally oversee what he hoped would be the end of the war.

Sebastian stared silently at the Eclipse-II class star destroyer through the window of the shuttle while Janet gave him a run down on the ship. "I don't like the name," he said finally.

Janet paused. "'Vengeance,' Mr. Skywalker?"

"Yes. Not a good name to rally behind."

"Well, actually, I think some would think it is," Janet said diplomatically.

"The Alliance may have been forged to oppose the Vong, but that doesn't mean we need to be so cavalier about it... to imply that this is some kind of effort to even the score." Sebastian tapped his lips with the head of his cane. "That's not what this has been about. It's been about ensuring our survival, and more than that, about the oppression and genocidal nature of the Vong, of toppling an amoral and evil threat. 'Vengeance' just doesn't cut it for me."

"Well, it is your ship, Mr. Skywalker," Janet said. "What should it be called?"

Sebastian stared at it silently again. He'd wondered about that himself. He'd sifted through a number of choices, but none of them struck quite the right tone. On the one hand, this was a ship that would hopefully strike a mortal blow in the cause of freedom, but on the other, it was capable of smashing planets. Any name along the lines he thought, like "hope" or "liberty" seemed ironic for a ship carrying an abominable weapon. That was the problem, though, because everything took on that quality. At one point, he considered naming it after Jorri, as a kind of fitting way for her to strike a final blow in the war that had claimed her life. But that too seemed wrong... Jorri was a fine soldier who never hesitated in her duty, strong and determined and fearless, but for Sebastian she would always be softness and gentleness and compassion, and none of those applied to this ship. Perhaps "necessary evil" would be appropriate, considering how it was only being used because this enterprise demanded it, but that wouldn't be very good for public relations now would-

Sebastian smirked. Why not? he thought. After all, his mother would be the first to approve. "Janet," he said, "contact the Vengeance, tell them we are going to rechristen the ship."

"And the name, Mr. Skywalker?"

"Oh, what else could it possibly be, Janet? It's the Enterprise."
Chuck

Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Hahaha. Ah, lovely.

It's going to be a shame when this is over. On the other hand, as a finished series this is probably going to be the only thing of it's kind, and a damn good one to.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Agent R
Padawan Learner

Post by Agent R »

Of course it would be the "Enterprise." :D

Terraine was right, though. News would get out about the hostage-taking if they were allowed to go free and Sebastian would have been in a worse position than when he'd started, with his image and credibility shot and no Eclipse to show for it. And poor Ben . . . such a tragic person . . . but now he's got to pay the piper.

The next chapter looks like its going to be a lot of fun. :twisted:
No conscience. No law. No stopping them....

....well, maybe a Happy Meal would do it.

Ka Anor needs test subjects!
I still think Furlings look like tribbles
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Excellant. I can't remember when Garak got Whind's lightsabre though, I thought Ben destroyed after the fight with Gorren and the last time it brain fried him.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Some things are just so easy to predict :D
To Absent Friends

Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

I loved this chapter, especially naming the ship Enterprise. I'm glad Sebestan turned out not to be willing to go through with it (although he sure came close).

I wonder now if the Oracle knew the Death Star mission would be a failure (well if it turns out to be a failure, I guess we can't be sure that's a fact, although knowing Ben will die suggest it). On the one hand, the lightsaber is outside her vision. On the other, she already saw its effects once, and might vary well know that Garek had it. Maybe she wants a smaller number of Sith (maybe all the way back to two).
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:Excellant. I can't remember when Garak got Whind's lightsabre though, I thought Ben destroyed after the fight with Gorren and the last time it brain fried him.
It survived.
BOH, Part XXVI wrote:She held out his lightsaber. "They found this near the body," she said quietly. "I assumed you'd want it back."

Sebastian took it with a nod of thanks. He held it a moment, then got up from his stool and opened Gorren's coffin. "Sto’vol’kor is a rough place, my friend," he said as he placed it in the Klingon's hand. "This will do you more good than I."
DOF, Part IV wrote:Garak's smile widened. "Because I have a very special request to make of the Mystral," he said with a voice full of oil. "One that I can't afford someone to misinterpret. It must work perfectly, and when it does... let's just say it will be quite a surprise."
DOF, Part V wrote:"It was much harder than you said, Garak," Rej grumbled. "And the Empire was on my tail for hundreds of light-years!"

"Yes, we all have our crosses to bear," Garak said. "The package, if you please." Rej growled at him, but a box materialized on the table in front of Garak. A quick scan revealed it was safe, and he opened it, nodding with approval. "Congratulations," Garak said as he closed and sealed the box, "I must admit I wasn't certain even the Mystral were up to the task. You've certainly shown your reputation is well-earned."
[...]
"What do you intend to do with that, sir?" indicating the parcel Rej had delivered.

"Nothing," Garak said. "It's just what the humans call an ace in the hole, in case things become ugly." He patted the box. "Hopefully it won't come to this, though. If it does, the galaxy will likely be a very, very ugly place to be."
DOF, Part XXXII wrote:"She'll know we're plotting something."
"I've taken a precaution," Garak said.
"What kind of precaution could you possibly take?" Lando demanded. "I understand Taar took precautions too, and look how much good they did him?"
"He didn't take the right ones," Garak said. "He didn't understand the enemy like I do."
"What have you got in mind," Lando said.
"I can't be specific," Garak said. "She's far too clever, I'm still not certain I've been subtle enough in my actions, but it's the only chance we have of not only surviving, but saving what we both care about."
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Prozac the Robert wrote:
Hahaha. Ah, lovely.

It's going to be a shame when this is over. On the other hand, as a finished series this is probably going to be the only thing of it's kind, and a damn good one to.
Thanks very much.
Chuck