Anyone notice that General Grevious's henchmen kick ass?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Base Delta Zero wrote:Another thing we should remeber is that Anakin and Obi-Wan are among the best Jedi out there. Just because they can slaughter magnaguards in 30 seconds doesn't mean that's normal.
IIRC, four Magnaguards did a pretty good job of keeping three Jedi Masters occupied in Clone Wars.
Cykeisme wrote: Off the top of my head, Delta Squad takes out at least nine, actually. Possibly up to twelve, but definitely more than nine. They even meet three at once, at one point, although they have access to emplaced weapons there.
That part gave me such a headache.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

In defense of this post, I would like to say that when Obi-Wan took down that piece of machinery on the four Magnaguards he probably did it because taking them down with his lightsabre would be too time-consuming. He needed to catch Grievous before he ran, and catch him fast. If he would have stopped to fight the Magnaguards (and if it did indeed take him 36 seconds to take down one) it would have taken at least 2.5 minutes to dispatch the four of them, probably longer because he was fighting more than one. If these droids weren't 'kick-ass', he would have just seperated their heads from their shoulders (oh... that doesn't work) and chase/fight the General.

So what I am saying is he didn't want to waste time in fighting them because he had to get to Grievous before he ran.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

Stupid question: IIRC means what?
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Cos Dashit wrote:Stupid question: IIRC means what?
If I Recall Correctly
IIRC, four Magnaguards did a pretty good job of keeping three Jedi Masters occupied in Clone Wars.
Keep in mind, they had to protect the chancellor, and had GG on their tail as well. When Shaaki Tii was left as the rear guard, she made a very good showing against around a dozen of them, all at once.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I got the impression they were actually only trying to delay her from guarding Palpatine so Greivous could finish the two redshirt jedi and capture the chancellor. Hence their quick disengagement at the end of that fight.
Count Dooku
Jedi Knight

Post by Count Dooku »

Everyone has made some excellent points, but IMO, without the force as their ally, no driod could ever equal the skill of a Jedi. Although, Grevious' henchmen were pretty talented, and if I recall, they were personally trained by him and Dooku.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." (Seneca the Younger, 5 BC - 65 AD)
Lukedanieljames
Padawan Learner

Post by Lukedanieljames »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:
Base Delta Zero wrote:Another thing we should remeber is that Anakin and Obi-Wan are among the best Jedi out there. Just because they can slaughter magnaguards in 30 seconds doesn't mean that's normal.
Cykeisme wrote: Off the top of my head, Delta Squad takes out at least nine, actually. Possibly up to twelve, but definitely more than nine. They even meet three at once, at one point, although they have access to emplaced weapons there.
That part gave me such a headache.
Thats intersting, because Grievous brought a few magnaguards with him to capture palpy, and the guards took down IIRC about 40 storm troopers
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Crazedwraith wrote:I got the impression they were actually only trying to delay her from guarding Palpatine so Greivous could finish the two redshirt jedi and capture the chancellor. Hence their quick disengagement at the end of that fight.
That's a bit of a red herring, isn't it? They certainly would have killed her if they could.

As an aside, that sort of fight is supposed to be Shaak Ti's specialty. Her sensory abilities (some sort of echolocation) and natural affinity for cramped crowds mean that she can exploit close quarter chaos like that very well, as the cartoon very well demonstrates.
Her Wizards of the Coast miniature gets Crowd Fighting.. +2 to Attack rolls for each adjacent figure :)
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Lukedanieljames
Padawan Learner

shielded droidekas I admit are great at taking care of Jedi, but they aren't good for chasing them, flushing them out etc. They can't get into tight places and they can't get into an airvent shaft or something. Another thing to consider is that the Magnaguards won't be shooting at the jedi, which means their own blaster bolts can't be used against them, or in the case of droidekas, against other unshielded droids, the droidekas might kill more of their own guys because of the jedi redirect than they actually kill of the enemy!
Lukedanieljames
Padawan Learner

Cykeisme wrote:
As an aside, that sort of fight is supposed to be Shaak Ti's specialty. Her sensory abilities (some sort of echolocation) and natural affinity for cramped crowds mean that she can exploit close quarter chaos like that very well, as the cartoon very well demonstrates.
Her Wizards of the Coast miniature gets Crowd Fighting.. +2 to Attack rolls for each adjacent figure :)
I truely believe that this is overruled by greater canon in ROTS, if it takes anakin and obiwan 32-36 seconds EACH to take down a single magna droid each, and now this jedi is taking on over a dozen? Its clearly over ruled by cannon, its like an X-wing taking a hit with a LTL in a book, but getting blown into a million pieces in all the movies. Ruther more, knowing this, saying that it ISN'T being over ruled and thats its legit compared to bad writing would be part of the no limits falacy, where you feel that she could because she's a jedi and because its writen, instead of looking at the on screen evidence of how difficult it is to kill these things, their talent + durability
Lukedanieljames
Padawan Learner

Count Dooku wrote:Everyone has made some excellent points, but IMO, without the force as their ally, no driod could ever equal the skill of a Jedi. Although, Grevious' henchmen were pretty talented, and if I recall, they were personally trained by him and Dooku.
I agree with you 100%, jedi's will always win 1on1 vs any droid.

And to add, actually the magna droids are programmed for a great deal of combat roles, Grievous just felt that he wanted to train them his own way, no evidence this is stronger or weaker, as the magnadroids in the EU are being killed easily (see above about how i think about this) and THEY were trained by him too
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

Count Dooku wrote:no driod could ever equal the skill of a Jedi.
Naturally. I doubt that anybody was even implying this. We were simply saying that those particular droids were very skilled in melee combat if they could keep a Jedi busy for half a minute.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Lukedanieljames wrote:I truely believe that this is overruled by greater canon in ROTS, if it takes anakin and obiwan 32-36 seconds EACH to take down a single magna droid each, and now this jedi is taking on over a dozen? Its clearly over ruled by cannon, its like an X-wing taking a hit with a LTL in a book, but getting blown into a million pieces in all the movies. Ruther more, knowing this, saying that it ISN'T being over ruled and thats its legit compared to bad writing would be part of the no limits falacy, where you feel that she could because she's a jedi and because its writen, instead of looking at the on screen evidence of how difficult it is to kill these things, their talent + durability
Two different Jedi in two different situations taking different amounts of time to destroy a Magnaguard is NOT a contradiction in canon.

Something I would like to point out: notice how the Magnaguards seem to fight better against Jedi when they have something that's keeping them from putting their all into it? Like, say, Shaak Ti, who needed to guard Palpatine in CW? Or, maybe, Obi-Wan and Anakin, whose primary mission objective, I shall reiterate, was to recover Palpatine alive and if possible unharmed.

I imagine that the average Jedi would be conscious of the fact that if they turned into the whirling dervishes of death that allows them to dispatch larger groups they've been shown to be capable of dispatching, it could result in, shall we say, unacceptable collateral damage.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Civil War Man wrote:Two different Jedi in two different situations taking different amounts of time to destroy a Magnaguard is NOT a contradiction in canon.
Also the machinery tactic in Obi's fight wasn't available in the bridge fight. He did the most efficient depatchment for the situation. About the duration of the fights, it looked to be barely over 10 swings to dispatch the guards. Obi backs off to get abit of room and easily beheads one, then when it's still alive the droid parries maybe 5 shots before it's guard breaks down and is finished. Anakin the same deal, slowly backs away towards Palps to a bigger area all the while looking like there's no threat to him, seemed to me Anakin and Obi needed a few secs to feel them out then went in for easy kills.

One quick note about the Obi kill, he actually pins a Magna guard's staff down against a console with his sabre before doing the head swipe blow, another feat of strength from Kenobi.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

just a stupid question but where do Magnaguards defeat 40 Clonetroopers?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Lukedanieljames wrote:Another thing to consider is that the Magnaguards won't be shooting at the jedi, which means their own blaster bolts can't be used against them, or in the case of droidekas, against other unshielded droids, the droidekas might kill more of their own guys because of the jedi redirect than they actually kill of the enemy!
Good point, that's probably one of the primary reasons they built a droid type that specializes in melee combat.. to prevent Jedi from using their firepower against them, as with all the other droids. They don't fare better than Destroyer Droids though.
Civil War Man wrote:
Lukedanieljames wrote:I truely believe that this is overruled by greater canon in ROTS, if it takes anakin and obiwan 32-36 seconds EACH to take down a single magna droid each, and now this jedi is taking on over a dozen? Its clearly over ruled by cannon, its like an X-wing taking a hit with a LTL in a book, but getting blown into a million pieces in all the movies. Ruther more, knowing this, saying that it ISN'T being over ruled and thats its legit compared to bad writing would be part of the no limits falacy, where you feel that she could because she's a jedi and because its writen, instead of looking at the on screen evidence of how difficult it is to kill these things, their talent + durability
Two different Jedi in two different situations taking different amounts of time to destroy a Magnaguard is NOT a contradiction in canon.
Did you even see the toon, Lukedanieljames? Not only is it not a contradiction, it doesn't even look like one. Shaak Ti was on the defensive for the majority of the fight, being heavily outnumbered combined with the short reach of her lightsaber compared to the polearm electrostaffs. Eventually she appropriated an electrostaff and took advantage of the cramped and crowded area to frustrate their attempts to attack her, and disabled a few of the MagnaGuards.
When Grievous reached the bunker, he ordered the MagnaGuards to withdraw, and Shaak Ti wasn't exactly in great shape then.
Civl War Man wrote:I imagine that the average Jedi would be conscious of the fact that if they turned into the whirling dervishes of death that allows them to dispatch larger groups they've been shown to be capable of dispatching, it could result in, shall we say, unacceptable collateral damage.
Well, for one thing, the Dark Side always beckons to those who give in to their anger.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the IG-100 with the slashed eye. In the novel, Obi-Wan identifies it as a lightsabre mark and guesses that the droid killed a Jedi.

He could be wrong, of course. It could, for example, have been inflicted by Shaak Ti. But at the very least, it shows us that it can take a glancing blow from a lightsabre and be fine.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I don't know if that means that it could "take" a lightsaber blow. After all, the little scar around Anakin's eye in ROTS was also caused by a lightsaber. The droid was probably just barely grazed. However, the fact that they can fight Jedi at all is impressive.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Noble Ire wrote:Keep in mind, they had to protect the chancellor, and had GG on their tail as well. When Shaaki Tii was left as the rear guard, she made a very good showing against around a dozen of them, all at once.
Labyrinth of Evil differed grealty from Clone Wars in the description of Palpatine's capture and even what Obi-Wan and Anakin were doing - if I remember correctly, the MagnaGuards appeared to be more dangerous in it and were fewer, also. Which one is the true description of the events, LoE or CW?

And in any case, Anakin Skywalker noted in Revenge of the Sith novel that the second MagnaGuard who had come to capture him, Obi-Wan and Palpatine had a missing "eye", as if cut or grazed with a lightsabre. He thought that a Jedi had done so, but that Jedi had not survived the encounter with the said MagnaGuard. Of course, it is impossible to say what level of power that Jedi had and it was clearly much lower than Anakin or Obi-Wan - possibly a Padawan or a new Knight, nothing else. A Master should have no difficulty in taking on MagnaGuards (as evidenced by Master Kenobi).
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Tiriol wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:Keep in mind, they had to protect the chancellor, and had GG on their tail as well. When Shaaki Tii was left as the rear guard, she made a very good showing against around a dozen of them, all at once.
Labyrinth of Evil differed grealty from Clone Wars in the description of Palpatine's capture and even what Obi-Wan and Anakin were doing - if I remember correctly, the MagnaGuards appeared to be more dangerous in it and were fewer, also. Which one is the true description of the events, LoE or CW?
LoE. Clone Wars is considered a collection of tales from a boy who lived durning the era and his recollection of the events.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Ghost Rider wrote:

LoE. Clone Wars is considered a collection of tales from a boy who lived durning the era and his recollection of the events.
Is it that boy who watched Windu take on the Droid Army? Or is he off-camera all the time?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

NeoGoomba wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:

Is it that boy who watched Windu take on the Droid Army? Or is he off-camera all the time?
Same boy. Literally that particular battle he was present, the rest he heard from others. This was given as an explaination as to why Clone Wars has such exagerrations in combat, abilities and even army/naval assests.

Think of someone who saw the Battle of Normandy but had really no fucking clue was 90% of the things were.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

After all, the little scar around Anakin's eye in ROTS was also caused by a lightsaber.
And he's pretty impressive, isn't he? :P
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

Another point: upgraded labor droids make equally proficient lightsaber duelists. The MagnaGuards don't seem all that special considering that.
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

Ryushikaze wrote:So, where exactly does it say the Magnarguards cost as much as a starship, or can we just classify that as meaningless hyperbole, like the Executor class nearly bankrupting the Empire?
I was thinking the same thing. You could get several platoons of Guris for the same price as a MagnaGuard if they cost several hundred millions. Also, a line warship would be in the billions, unless we are talking <ISD.
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.