MP3 Player

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Tokaji Kyoden
Padawan Learner

MP3 Player

Post by Tokaji Kyoden »

Well, unfortunately, the trusty old mp3 player bit the dust after only 1.5 years of service. So I have to start shopping around for a new one. I've been looking at iPods, but in working with the Geek Squad, we've had quite a few people returning them with problems, and our store has only been open a little over a week.

So here's my question... Are iPods worth it? Is there some awesome mp3 player out there that I'm missing(I've heard the Zen Micro's are pretty nice)? What are everyones suggestions?
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I recommend not an iPod. I bought a crappy cheap MP3 player at Bust Buy and it's consistantly more reliable than my friend's iPods (one of which stopped working literally within a week of his warranty expiring.) Another consideration is that if you're in a place where you need to worry about theft, iPods are often more of a target because you immediately know their specs and thus their desirability.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I got myself an iriver 5GB H10 model, I'd suggest you go for it instead of an iPod, unless you go for a used mini. Those minis have nice cases that can handle a lot of stuff, and the H10 has a similar case (I think they're both made of aluminum). The H10 has FM radio tuner, voice and FM recorder, photo capability, txt file capability, and you can get it in 5/6GB or 20GB. It's reliable, only froze up once, and I still can't recreate that. It has a good charger, the iPod makes you connect to the computer to charge it, but the iriver cord goes into the player, out to a USB cable, but also out to the AC adapter. Which comes with it, along with a case, belt clip, and some decent earphones, although I don't use those. Just don't get the Lounge Grey, cuz it's the ugliest colour in the world. Only regret for me, actually.
XXXI
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Re: MP3 Player

Post by Master of Ossus »

Tokaji Kyoden wrote:Well, unfortunately, the trusty old mp3 player bit the dust after only 1.5 years of service. So I have to start shopping around for a new one. I've been looking at iPods, but in working with the Geek Squad, we've had quite a few people returning them with problems, and our store has only been open a little over a week.

So here's my question... Are iPods worth it? Is there some awesome mp3 player out there that I'm missing(I've heard the Zen Micro's are pretty nice)? What are everyones suggestions?
Just because many people return iPods does not necessarily mean that they are unreliable (how many sales do you have?), but I have generally found iPods to have poor reliability next to other players. Flash players are inherently better for reliability, if you are willing to give up the requisite storage space.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

I got a creative zen player, because I enjoy the options of carting around other files. I've had it since christmas and I've really enjoyed it. I find it's really reliable and holds up well with all the file dumping and moving around. Granted it is bigger than flash players, if you are just wanting to use it for music. And Flash players are cheaper for that reason.
Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

I have a 40-gig Creative zen, and i'm mostly happy with it. my chief requisites were:

1. best possible sound quality
2. best space-to-cost ratio
3. easy interface
4. good battery life

The Zen definitely fit the first two (it sounds much clearer than ipods, and since you can use a lot more formats, it's ideal for audiophiles). I think the interface is weaker than ipod, but once you get the hang of it, it's fine. The battery life is excellent, getting 16+ hours of play.

The problems I have are that when I ffwd in a track, more often than not it skips to the next track, which is irritating as hell (esp. since one track in a Mahler symphony can be 20+ minutes long). Also, I can't seem to find a happy medium on the sensitivity of the scroller. The volume is contolled via up-and-down buttons on the side, and I would prefer a dial. Of course, the big Zens aren't at all sexy, if that matters.
I believe in the Holy Trinity: Bach the Father, Beethoven the Son and Brahms the Holy Ghost.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

*shrug* My iPod has served me admirably over the past two years.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Dalton wrote:*shrug* My iPod has served me admirably over the past two years.
If it's good enough for Benny... :)
Tokaji Kyoden
Padawan Learner

Post by Tokaji Kyoden »

I'm looking at the 8g Zen Micro photo. And in researching it, found that it's pretty good, other than the not so easy interface. Any thoughts?
RUN\DOS\RUN
Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

I think the inteface for the zen micros is better than that of the larger zens, from wht i've heard.

I know a few people with micros, and none of them have any complaints.
I believe in the Holy Trinity: Bach the Father, Beethoven the Son and Brahms the Holy Ghost.
Tokaji Kyoden
Padawan Learner

Post by Tokaji Kyoden »

Well...I broke down and got a 30g video iPod. We'll see how well it works....
RUN\DOS\RUN
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

My 2GB Nano does it's job and looks nice, invisibleshield is a must though, buy it before you get your ipod so you can put it on the moment you get it.

P.S. going to buy an Mp3 player for my GF, what can you people reccomend in the 50-60 euro range, thats $60-$70 for you americans. FM radio is a must, she doesn't own her own PC so she can only load songs at my comp.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Tokaji Kyoden
Padawan Learner

Post by Tokaji Kyoden »

Use the Zen MuVo's. A few of those models have FM tuners in them.

Update: I just found out that our store is getting in the Zen Vision M's, which have much much better video support, and obviously wont have to synch up to iTunes. So needless to say, I will be trading in my iPod quite soon.
RUN\DOS\RUN
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

P.S. going to buy an Mp3 player for my GF, what can you people reccomend in the 50-60 euro range, thats $60-$70 for you americans. FM radio is a must, she doesn't own her own PC so she can only load songs at my comp.
Only 128 MB but an excellent little player
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

This is the unit I am getting.. Its a phillips 4g sports unit..

MP3
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
WhichOnesPink
Redshirt

Post by WhichOnesPink »

I have a Creative Zen Touch 20Gb, and I must say, the battery life for it is incredible; I listen to it every day, and only need to recharge once a week or so!

Re: IPods, I have a nasty allergy to hype and 'flavour of the month' bandwagoneering (Is that a real word? It is now!), thus preventing me from being objective about them, sorry!
"Iraq has incredible weapons; INCREDIBLE weapons!"
"How do you know?"
"Well... we checked the receipts!"
RIP Bill Hicks