What would make a good nBSG crossover?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

What would make a good nBSG crossover?

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

I'm trying to drum up ideas for a good Battlestar crossover. My ideas are:

Firefly-BSG: Both hot new series, both take palce in settings darker than that of traditional space opera. Should be a no-brainer.

Halo-BSG: Galactica finds humanity, but lightyears away from Earth. Of course, the power calcs probably make the fighting untenable.

Draka-BSG: Ouch.

Voyager-BSG: Ditto. However, out of all of the ST-BSG crossovers (including the old series), I'd think Voyager-BSG makes a lot of sense. Deepest of the Delta Quadrant, eh?

And that's all I've got. Think of your own ideas and link me to any that have similar ones. I might hazard one in the future.
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

How about SW? Although it's hard to see a crossover method (other than the cliche wormhole). I am planning to do one eventually, set during the NJO.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

To make every single kind of battlestar fan happy, a crossover with the old version of galactica, like a crossover of alternate reality...
ElPintoGrande
Youngling

Post by ElPintoGrande »

I'm not so sure that a crossover with the original Galactica would make for a great story. The origianl characters would seem somewhat absurd to the nBSG crowd I think and would be dismissed as a group of badly clothed nitwits. Besides can you REALLY imagine having more than one incarnation of Richard Hatch on screen at a time? *shudders* Of course someone could see the striking similarities between the two and scream 'Cylon' and the result would hopefully be Pegasus and Galactica annihilating the oBSG crowd so... Hell, run with it.

As for the NJO, if you thought the Vong had problems with droids, wait till they got word of the human models. Voyager (much as I hate to admit this) seems like it might be the most viable. It would make sense though you have to do some crafty work explaining how humans made it that far to Earth, even with jump drives (depending on when during Voyager you set it) that would take and awfully long time, assuming again that they ancient humans didn't have some lost tech to get them there faster.

Either way, I'm just a lowly plebe. The decision, in the end, is yours.
Yay! Midget Toss!
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

How about Freespace? Maybe set a few months after the attack on Capella when the Terran fleet is pretty much decimated.
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

BSG/HHGTTG. "You're looking for Earth, are you? Bit of a problem there..."

BSG/Terminator? The Colonials find Earth only to discover that those humans have also been all but wiped out by machines of their own creation?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

be careful about including aliens. It could kill the BSG plotline if used incorrectly, on that note, perhaps an alternate-history Earth, (Like with Turtledove's southern victory series, or if you really want to do Trek, how about something with the Terran Empire?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Firefly and nBSG seems like such a natural crossover. An Alliance cruiser versus a Cylon basestar? Fuck yeah.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

My friend and I often discuss how an Inquisitor in the loyal service of the God-Emperor of Mankind would resolve problems on board Galactica. :P

Seriously, with a properly delicate touch (i.e., no wanking) a 40k-nBSG could work. In fact I've thought about it quite a lot. Given that the Imperium of Man has virtually no knowledge of human history prior to about 21,000 AD, a lot of sci-fi can fit into the 40k universe relatively seamlessly (such as Event Horizon). This fact can lend support to a 40k-nBSG fic.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Drooling Iguana wrote:BSG/Terminator? The Colonials find Earth only to discover that those humans have also been all but wiped out by machines of their own creation?
Now THAT would be an Ultimate Irony :lol:

Seriously, I htink a nBSG/Firefly Crossover, where the Serenity is somehow pulled into the ragtag fleet would be coool, obviously with them being led over time to whatever planetary System the Alliance is in.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

uh, YEAH, I'm Actually in the process of writing one now, Good luck to you if you want to write one as well.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
AO3 Link | FFN Link
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Given that the Imperium of Man has virtually no knowledge of human history prior to about 21,000 AD, a lot of sci-fi can fit into the 40k universe relatively seamlessly (such as Event Horizon). This fact can lend support to a 40k-nBSG fic.
Huh. I thought I was the only person who thought that that movie was practically canon 40K ancient history.

As for a good crossover, damn near anything scifi except Stargate. I've seen so goddamn many of those... Derelict and the Spearhead stories are about the only ones I've seen that I liked.

By preference, any scifi involving Earth or an Earth-originated society that could curbstomp the Cylons, but whose technologies and/or capabilities would scare the shit out of the Colonials. Civilization comes to mind.

The ones I'd like to see the most, aside from Firefly, are Weber's Honorverse, Furyverse, or the Starfire universe.
"Mother, implement Case Omega."
-the last time Colin MacIntyre gives an order without thinking it through.
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

Drooling Iguana wrote:BSG/Terminator? The Colonials find Earth only to discover that those humans have also been all but wiped out by machines of their own creation?
I'd like to point out that Connor and the Resistance won that war. In all three versions of the Termionator storyline. (First is T1 and T2, second is Stirling's T2 novels, third is the one with T3.)
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Seriously, I htink a nBSG/Firefly Crossover, where the Serenity is somehow pulled into the ragtag fleet would be coool, obviously with them being led over time to whatever planetary System the Alliance is in.
It is good, but I've only found one story crossing over these yet: The Stars on Fire
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Honorverse would be interesting
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

technomage wrote:
I'd like to point out that Connor and the Resistance won that war. In all three versions of the Termionator storyline. (First is T1 and T2, second is Stirling's T2 novels, third is the one with T3.)
Do we still know that Connor won the war in the altered T3 timeline?

And besides, maybe he had help that no one bothered to mention...
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

technomage wrote:Civilization comes to mind.
Alpha Centauri is a more extreme example, and the technologys would scare the living shit out of the Colonials and the Cylons
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Even though Andromeda became Hercules in space, I feel a nBSG and Andromeda crossover would have potential.

Like this one

A Star Trek Voyager / nBSG crossover I can see. Especially if the Galactica follows Voyager towards the AQ where they may have some safety from the Cylons.

Another one I can see possible is with Doctor Who, mainly because I feel Doctor Who can crossover quite well with most sci fi universes (except maybe things like 40 K), and it doesn't require the cliche wormhole plot device. Just have the TARDIS travel "sideways" in time.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

nBSG and S:AAB. Colnials show up, Chigs realize they are outclassed, side with humanity against the Cylons.
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

Deathstalker wrote:nBSG and S:AAB. Colnials show up, Chigs realize they are outclassed, side with humanity against the Cylons.
Here's one in progress: Homeworld Bound
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Farscape. If you're a sadist who wants to abuse the cylons.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bill_Dunaway
Redshirt

Post by Bill_Dunaway »

mr friendly guy wrote:
A Star Trek Voyager / nBSG crossover I can see. Especially if the Galactica follows Voyager towards the AQ where they may have some safety from the Cylons.
I wouldn't count on the Federation having much chance against the Cylons. Their ships and weapons seem to be far superior and Fed sensors could probably easily detect a skin job. Unfortunately, they don't appear to have any concept of computer security, no manual method of shutting down a compromised system, and every aspect of their ship is under computer control. Their only hope is that their computers will be very different from Colonial system and the Cylons will probably take a while to figure them out. Janeway is such a moron, she'd probably let some Cylons on her ship as ambassadors where they'd have easy access to a computer terminal. For that matter, Fed security is so pathetic that a couple of centurions could liquidate the entire crew of Voyager in a firefight.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

NecronLord wrote:Farscape. If you're a sadist who wants to abuse the cylons.
Hehe. So you got any plans for a fanfic like that? 8) :P

I'm sure the peacekeepers would be insulted if they where mistaken as human, and only a crazy man with a deathwish goes after Earth after the events of the Peacekeeper-Scarran Wars.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

ggs wrote:only a crazy man with a deathwish goes after Earth after the events of the Peacekeeper-Scarran Wars.
TBH there's not much evidence that they pulled off any reverse engineering.

I was thinking more along the lines of a basestar attacking a command carrier. Followed by the basestar just disappearing completely in a frag cannon blast. :lol:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

nBSG and B5. Tech levels seem close enough that it could be interesting. Also, the timelines would synch up pretty well.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Others have written crossovers between Old and New 'Battlestar Galactica' shows by doing some creative rewriting of canon, e.g., New Starbuck is Old Starbuck's daughter, New Galactica is the new Aurora class battlestar built to replace the soon-to-be retired Old Galactica, etc.
(See here. The same fanfic also crossovers the worlds of 'Macross' and, to a lesser extent, 'Transformers'.)

Personally, I'm all for human domination-- I have to be proud of my own species, after all-- so I say have the Colonials come across incredibly advanced genetic engineering technology that lets them create super soldiers able to charge straight at a Cylon, catch the incoming bullets with his/her bare hands, and smash the Cylon with one punch. Maybe have them find some Xillian technology from 'Godzilla: Final Wars'?
(I admit it's a ridiculous idea, but...)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)