With Justice For None (Nalifan and Company)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Someone's getting a little too big for his britches, I think. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Rogue 9 wrote:Someone's getting a little too big for his britches, I think. :lol:
Modest people without grand ambitions rarely become High Imperceptors of Bane. :P
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:Someone's getting a little too big for his britches, I think. :lol:
Modest people without grand ambitions rarely become High Imperceptors of Bane. :P
True. And High Imperceptors of Bane are frequently used as BBEGs in campaigns, to be killed at the end. Gee, I wonder why. :P

"Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." -- Proverbs 16:18

8)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The faint sound of what seemed to be muffled screams reached Laerasis' ears. She stopped walking and cocked her head."Is that screaming?" she asked.

"Yes," he replied, pointing at a tall egg shaped building. 'Its a tannery. They flay humans for hide and then heal them up and repeat the process."

"Ahh. Interesting. How inovative of them."

"Yes. It cuts down the costs if you can reuse your slaves. It also provides another incentive for slaves to be productive. You can always sell them to the tannery."

She laughed. "I'd almost forgotten what it could be like." She danced forward and spun in front of him. "Twelve years in a kuo-toa slave pen and then you came with fire and steel and I was free." She spun around again. Two commoners cleared out of her way, moving to the side of the street. Nalifan smiled.

"And what did I have to look forward too? Returning to a house where my allies had long since abandoned me as dead and my enemies ascended in the ranks? A bad future for a commoner with no talent for the priesthood, even if I survived the trip. I wouldn't trade my position in your house my lord, but Lolth's fangs how I've missed this."

He reached out and took her arm. "I'll remember to take you on my next trip to the Underdark, but we have more urgent business."

"Of course, my prince."

He uttered an initiator and the ground fell away as they rose into the air. The drow flew towards the minarets and towers of the cliff castle of House D'Azurentien. Drow warriors tracked their progress with heavy crossbows and readied spells. They approached a spire that resembled a stalagmite and landed on a balconey.

A female drow wearing adamantine mail made a shallow bow. She was an inch taller than Laerasis, who was on the tall side by the standards of drow women. "Welcome home mighty prince."

"Ahh Tennasith. This is Laerasis, Mistress of my household"

Tennasith inclined her head slightly. The two women sized each other up.
"Welcome to service of House D'Azurentien," said Tennasith with out warmth. Laerasis nodded.

Nalifan continued. "What are you up to now that you are no longer breaking bones and ending lives for my mother?"

"Breaking bones and ending lives for your sister," the muscular woman replied. "Follow me. The Matron will wish to speak with you."

"Still sleeping with my uncle?"

"Yes. Maybe we will give you a half sister." She lead them inside down a stairway through corridors of dark stone. A few servants scuttled out of the way as they saw them coming. Softly glowing crystals and displays of faerie fire provided dim illumination, just barely sufficient for a human to see his way around.

"Ha. I still don't think he's my father. Not that that matters."

"The blood matters," Tennasith replied. "And you bear the mark of D'Azurentien strongly. Height, magical talent, silver hair, perfectly black skin."

"Yes, the blood matters. After that what is the father? As for the mark of the D'Azurentien, you might have noticed that my mother was Matron of the house. And she favored tall lovers with magical talent and sable skin. She had two others that met those criteria at the time, if memory serves."

Tennasith shrugged. "As you say, it is the mother that matters and Faneth is your mother's brother and high in the house."

"True enough." Tapestries in colours selected for viewing under violet and green lights depicted scene after scene of slaughter, sacrifice, and conquest. The victims were varied but the victors were always drow.

"Did you know that humans are completely clueless about the differences between drow ethnic groups?" Nalifan said. "They have enough trouble handling the fact that females are taller than males that they can't get past dark skin, light hair, and pointed ears. "

Tennasith snickered. "I'm not surprised. They aren't much brighter than goblins."

"Well, some of them are brighter than that."

"I had forgotten that you like them. Well, at least in your bed."

"They have their charms."

"You just like having concubines that have strive to please you with the threat of torture or death hanging over their heads."

"I thought that was the ideal of how females should conduct relationships with males? What objection could you possibly have with that? Oh wait. You're sleeping with a male more powerful than you are. That would be jealousy."

She shot him a murderous glance and then paled to dark grey. She bowed deeply. "Mighty prince, please forgive me."

"You are fortunate that my concubines are not the only ones I indulge. Do not forget your place again. You are dismissed. I do not need a guide to find my way through the house I grew up in."

She bowed and retreated. Nalifan lead Laerasis into a long hall. Tattered banners taken from defeated enemies hung from the ceiling and the skulls of notable foes were bound in silver wire and mounted on the walls. Two female drow in face obscuring helms and adamantine plate stood guard on a dias. Baroque halberds bearing terrible enchantments were clenched in their fists. Between them stood a black throne of dragon bone.

A tall woman stood at the foot of the dias. She wore scarlett silks that revealed firm flesh. Her hair was bound in an intricate construction kept in place by a platinum tiara. The resemblance between her and Nalifan was strong. An older male, bearing the subtle marks of elven age, stood off to the side. He was slightly shorter than Nalifan ans slimmer as well. His hair off white and he wore clothes of unrelieved black. Neither of them carried a visible weapon. She didn't need one. He carried a hidden arsenal.

"Matron," Nalifan said dipping his head. "I hope I am not interrupting."

"No, dear brother. Your presence is most welcome. Relyanthir and I were just discussing a matter where you may be of some use."

"Uncle," Nalifan bowed fractionally.

The Master of Assassins returned the bow. "Nephew."

"Matron, I will of course assist our house, but I am here on another matter."

She scowled and smoothed over her expression. "And that is?"

"Have I been here recently?"

"I would think you would remember that."

"Humor me."

"No. You haven't been here in almost a year."

"Ah. Thank you."

"What is this about?"

"My clone failed to activate. If I didn't use it, that means something happened to it."

"By all means, settle this matter my brother. Immediately."

"As you wish sister."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The House of Mystra in Harrowdale is far from well frequented. Still the priests maintain it well and hope that their good works will attract more worshippers and they recieved the custom of both travellers and adventuring companies. It was a good place for a devout servant to pray in peace.

The mage Astinius had been doing that for three days. He knelt on the floor facing the altar and the statue of the Lady of Mysteries and prayed silently for hours at a time. He was so still he seemed to be a statue himself. When a priest approached him to inquire if he was unwell, the toad sitting on his shoulder spoke up. "You don't wanna do that," he croaked. "Just leave him be. Trust me on this."

The priest backed away from the familiar and left the young mage in peace. The mage only moved from the spot to rest, eat, and pass bodily waste. He was there twenty hours a day. The priests whispered among themselves. The high priest took council from his peers.

On the fourth day a woman walked across the temple floor towards the kneeling mage. His presence had unnerved other worshippers, not that there were many of them, and they gave him a wide berth. Not so the woman. She was handsome, many would go as far as beautiful, with dark hair touched with red and bound in a braid. She wore mail of elven make under a blue tunic and wore light grey breaches. Her eyes shown with wit, compassion, and intelligence. The flail in a leather sheath hanging from her belt was for when those qualities were not enough to carry the day.

There had been sufficient concern over the mage's behavior that magic had been invoked to speak with priests at other temples and so she had volunteered to assist in this matter. Strange and difficult cases were something of a speciality of hers. So she had uttered words of power and crossed the distance to Harrowdale in a single heartbeat

The mage before her wore a light blue robe and wore high boots. His hands were encased in black gloves. A large toad perched on his shoulder. She approached. "Hey beautiful," it croaked, "he's busy."

Kaeryn blinked. She wasn't used to having a mage's familiar run his mouth at her. "Is your master well?" she asked.

The toad fidgetted on the mage's shoulder. "Well, not exactly, but he's as good as he's likely to get. You got any juicy blue bottle flies?"

"I'm afraid not."

"Beshaba's brats! Everyone offers refreshment to the bipeds, but do the amphibians get any consideration? It's not fair. Those cat bastards are always getting hand fed at the table and the raven's can see a carcass or glass bead a league away and get there in a flash, but a toad? If I had been a cat you would have some nice fatty nibblets of meat, wouldn't you? But nothing for the toad."

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah, yeah I've heard it before. Look sister, Astinius here is three days into a five day prayer stint. He's only stopping at the dead of night and to make sure I'm wet and fed. We've got two more days of him on his knees and then he's gone. He's done it before, he'll be fine. Well, not fine, he's still a bit crazy, but you get the idea."

"Yes I do. Thank you. Will you let your master know I wish to speak with him when his is finished?"

"What do I look like, his familiar? Oh wait, I am. Sure I'll pass it on. Not that he can't hear us, with us being right next to him and him being an elf and all. He's just busy talking to Mystra."

"Thank you," she said and turned and left. That was definitely the oddest conversation she'd ever had. Well, odd was better than dull and at least she had gathered some information. For now she would just have to exercise some patience.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

.......ok, that was weird.
The following day, Kaeryn should bring some nightcrawlers for the toad ;)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Ah, Astinius will get involved. That will be interesting.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SirNitram wrote:Ah, Astinius will get involved. That will be interesting.
Who's Astinius? Have we seen him before?

Edit: NM... Nitram reminded me. :oops: So where's the little dragon who was hanging around him?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Messina rose up out of her chair and secured the office door. "A little more privacy. The room is sound proof, aside from the magic on the bell, but there is no sense taking chances."

"You're afraid of your own people."

"In this matter, yes." She stopped at a cabinet and removed a bottle of red wine. "Care for some?"

Gaheris shook his head. "Yes, thank you,' Morfindel replied. The madam poured two glasses of dark red wine. She drank deeply from her glass.

"My arrangement with the Night Masks is simple. I pay taxes to them and I let them store things here, along with the occassional free visits to their captains. Sometimes a few of their mid rankers will stay here. If they find out that I'm sheltering their enemies, I'm a dead woman. All of this will probably be given to the person who betrays me to them, with the same arrangement as before."

"That's a lot of temptation," said Gaheris. There was a faint hint of an accent in her voice, but he couldn't place it.

"Yes. I can't shelter you for long before people will start being suspicious, no more than a few days. Avoid saying anything specific about who you are and let anyone you talk to fill in the blanks with their own assumptions. Don't ask suspicious favors from the girls."

"I love the trust you have of your own people."

"They're whores," she said bluntly. "You are a giant pay out. I don't know how things work for Triad monks, but I do know whores."

"Charming," replied Gaheris.

"A whore sells lies and deals in harsh truths."

"Your life doesn't seem so bad."

"It isn't," she replied. "It is better than anything I hoped for, better than most of my dreams."

"What happened?"

"Mercy from the merciless," she said and took another drink. "You can believe in justice and duty if you want, but I can't. It's too alien to me. I'm not one of your Triad followers and I don't want any part of your suicidal secret war."

"But you follow Ilmater."

"I honour him and mercy, but I justice and duty? No, I'm afraid not. I will shelter you and help you escape but that is the extent of it."

"Very well," said Gaheris. "Thank you for your assistance."

"You are welcome. I wish you well."

He nodded. "Morfindel and I have much to discuss. If you excuse us?"

"Of course. Let me show you to your rooms. You can be assured no one is spying on you."

He nodded politely and they followed her out of the room to a pair of adjoining suites. They were quite comfortable and decorated with a surprisingly restrained hand. "I will take my leave," she said and left.

Gaheris waited for a moment and then moved close to the dark haired elf. "What do you think?" he said softly.

"She's telling the truth. You grew up on the streets and saw the strong take whatever they wanted from the weak. She saw something similar. You decided to change the world. She accepted it and tried to survive."

Gaheris nodded. "Something changed. A client that was sweet on her probably. Gave her the seed money to start all of this or something similar."

Morfindel. "We need to get out and see what's happening. Leave messages at the alternate drops and let them know to get to the emergency bolt holes."

Gaheris nodded. "Let's pretend we're the Night King. What's his next move?"

"Tighten his grasp. Purge the Watch. Terrorize into submission or remove any remaining uncontrolled officials. If that Banite was part of a group of allies instead of mercenaries, he'll want to settle them in securely."

"What if they are all Banites?"

"The Church of Bane allied with a covert organization to gain total control of a city. The Zhentarim all over again. We can't allow that to happen. We can't allow the Dragon Coast to go the same way as the Moonsea."

"So what now?"

"We go warn our people and see how bad it is out there."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I fear it's very bad.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Nalifan lead Laerasis down a series of long corridors and stairways that lead away from the castle and into the rock of the side of the plateau. They passed through wardings and locked doors, but saw no one.

"Where are we going?" Laerasis asked.

"The old labs. The first settlements were in caves along the cliff face. They grew into what the fortress-complexes they are now and the city itself grew up under them. The old tunnels became experimental laboratories and store rooms. Few go there."

"You stored your clone there."

"Yes." Nalifan unlocked a door and the walked down a long corridor lined with doors. He stopped. "Here we are." The door opened with a touch. "Unlocked. I'm not surprised."

They stepped inside. The room had clearly been a small storage space before Nalifan had taken it over. It was quite bare. A withered body in fine silks and velvets lay on a cot. A bag was next to the body. The stench was quite strong.

Nalifan walked over and looked into his dead face. "Definitely me. Bloated and rotting. Death is not good for the looks." He examined the corpse's clothing. "No clotted blood, no entry wounds."

He drew a knife and began slicing the clothes off. "This is somewhat lacking in dignity," he remarked as he stripped his copy. "Hmmm. Still no signs of wounds. The stasis was interrupted, obviously. The clone wouldn't have been precisely mindless as it would contain all my memories, but it would lack volition. Unless something supplied that it would just sit here and die, but that isn't the case. Whatever killed him it wasn't dehydration."

He grunted and flipped the body. "No entry wounds either. Based on the temperature and decay, I would guess he was dead about a month."

"The clone was dead before you died. That means you didn't conciousness wasn't transfered into this body."

"True. It means something else killed this clone. It also explains why my relatives didn't see me around. I wasn't."

He rolled the head to the side and opened the jaw. "Lack of insect larvae consistent with the sealed conditions of the laboratory chambers. Discoloured tongue."

"Poison?"

"Yes."

"Why? The clone was in stasis, yes?"

"Correct."

"So once they opened the door and dispelled the stasis, the kill or killers could have just used a knife. Or a mace for that matter. Why poison? That's more complicated."

"An excellent point. Let us consider why. If the body was killed by magic, others would probably be able to identify which spell was used and narrow down who the killer was."

"True. So that's why magic wasn't used. Why not a weapon? Blood splatter."

"And a connection between the weapon and my death that might be found with magic. So the killer's best tools for the job are poison or a disposable weapon."

"Poison wouldn't leave incriminating blood stains on your sleeves," Laerasis pointed out.

"So we have poison and a very narrow list of suspects?"

"I missed a step. Explain please."

"The killers had to have access to the laboratories and possess magic strong enough to overcome the hidden ward and the stasis. They would have time to work at it, which expans the list somewhat, but it still would have to have been within their capabilities. There are very few members of this house with the required skills."

"So what next?"

He gathered up the satchel by the body and walked out the door. "We leave." He closed it. "The laboratories, that is. Do you know one of the defining characteristics of an arch-mage is what is sometimes refered to as 'a clever trick'?"

"Do tell, mighty prince."

"Any arch-mage worth the title has at least one unusual spell, application of a spell, or combination of spells that provide him with an advantage over another mage of equal power."

"Presumably this includes you."

'Correct. But my magic is somewhat diminished. The Crown of Sorcery lends strength to my magic and it will do so until I need to cast it again, but both Spellbreaker and Weavebinder added levels of finesse and control. I am diminished without them and certain applications of magic are no longer possible."

"Including your 'trick'."

"Yes. Which is why we are first going to visit the House Weaponsmith. When one trick is no longer possible one should develop another to take its place."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Very CSI there, hon... but neatly done.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

It was easy for Gaheris to blend in with the crowd of gawkers. The walls surrounding the Abbey of Blinding Truth still stood, but through the open gate way the ruins of the Abbey itself were clearly visible. The supports of the Abbey had failed and the whole building had collapsed into a pile of blackened stone. A half dozen officers of the Watch stood guard. Their leader was Creksin, a man as loathsome and as corrupt as Westgate's Watchmen could get. Someday he was going to get a knife between the ribs and it might very well be Gaheris's hand on the blade. The paladin paid them little attention.

Three men in spiked black plate and red cloaks were scanning the crowd. They were Banites wearing the garb of their faith when they operated publically. Their only concession to secrecy was that they did not openly wear the symbol of Bane.

Gaheris sized them up. The crowd, even if they didn't recognize them as Banites, still recognized them as bad news and gave them a wide berth. Getting close to them without them noticing would be very difficult and taking down more than one before losing the the advantage of surprise extremely unlikely. That would leave him in close quarters against two Banites withe the Watch likely to take their sides. Very bad odds.

He edged away from them, using the crowd as cover. He had learned enough. There wasn't going to be a salvage operation in the near future. The new order of things was clear.

He slipped back into the ebb and flow of the streets. Chalk marks were made in certain places in certain allies telling the other members of the Vera'Dome to mark if they still lived and to hide in their most secure spots. He prowled near a Watch house and waited. Eating a hot bun filled with meat of dubious origins purchased from a local tavern killed time and gave him reason to linger. Slowly working his way through a beer extended his stay.

Finally he showed up. Gaheris drained the last of the mug in a single gulp and siddled across the bar towards an overweight, middle aged Watch sergeant was getting settled. "A beer for me and my friend," Gaheris said. Coppers coins slid across a bar.

Denmon had seen better days. The man had been formidable once, when Gaheris ran through Westgate's back allies as an adolescent. The big bear of a man had gone to seed, but remnants of his old strength remain. With his bulging belly and sagging jowls he resembled a boar more than a bear. "What do you want?"

To say Denmon was corrupt would be perfectly honest. He collected money from prostitutes, gamblers, beggars, minor tradesfolk and other small timers in exchange for their continuing to be unmolested. His prey was strickly small time, worth the Night Masks attention only in numbers. He was just another low level parasite. If Gaheris had been running the Watch Denmon would be rotting in cells. He didn't, so he paid him instead.

"What do ya want?"

"I saw Creskin in command by the Abbey."

Denmon grunted. "Why him?" Silver slid across the bar.

Denmon eyed the coins and put his meaty paw on it. "Word from up high. Some people are under the question regarding Watch movements last night."

"And Creskin got moved up?"

He shrugged. "Someone had to."

"So Jenton is taking the fall?"

"That's the word. Saneel's footing is looking mighty slippery too."

"Two of the most honest officers in the Watch."

"Word is that their names were signed on orders moving officers away."

"It must be easy to forge orders when they all come from your office."

Denmon shrugged. "Way of the world. Stand in the way of the gorgon and it crushes you under its iron hooves."

Gaheris slipped a few more coins across and downed his beer. Orders and forged documents prepared ahead of time, a purge of the few officers the Night Masks didn't control already underway. Another angle covered. Whoever the Night King was, he was damn good at this. Too damn good.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Very nasty.

Have you been reading Ravenloft lately or something? You're getting very dark with this one.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote:Very nasty.

Have you been reading Ravenloft lately or something? You're getting very dark with this one.
No, haven't been reading Ravenloft. I thought the title would be a give away that this isn't going to be a fluffy chapter. I did warn people who's characters/alter egos were going to be involved that this was going to be nasty and that they had a chance to change to withdraw them.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Very nasty.

No, haven't been reading Ravenloft. I thought the title would be a give away that this isn't going to be a fluffy chapter. I did warn people who's characters/alter egos were going to be involved that this was going to be nasty and that they had a chance to change to withdraw them.
Not on your life, hon :-D

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Selune poked out from behind the clouds, surrounded by the shining fragments that were her Tears. Imizael stopped for a moment to look up through the overhanging branches and admire the beauty of Toril's moon. "She is beautiful, isn't she?"

"She is," replied the drow woman next to her. "We feared we would not be dancing under her light, but it appears we will be able to." She pointed up the path. "The top of the hill is just a little further ahead. And there we shall dance." A younger drow maiden loped past them. She wore a tunic, boots, and a very large sword sheathed across her back.

Imizael resumed walking, although the young drow women continued to pass her. Zehelia matched her pace. "I always loved the moon, even as a child," the sun elf continued. "My sister always used to tease me saying that I should have been born a moon elf. We were close back then."

"You are not now?" Zehelia asked. "My sisters were mostly a blessing. I do not wish to imagine the horror of being raised under Lolth's tyranny. To live with knives drawn against your own kin, it is monstrous. How did the Ssri'Tel'Quessir fall so far?"

"We aren't close anymore, we are not enemies. The funny thing is, it really started when we both decided the Retreat was a mistake. We both believed that the Retreat would doom our people, but for different reasons. The split grew wider from there."

"I am sorry for you. It is a tragedy to seperated from kin."

There was a moment of silence as they neared clearing at the top of the hill. The young women were checking the grass and clearing away sticks and rocks. "How is your relationship with the Dalefolk?"

"Good mostly. The invitation to help against the followers of Vhaeraun was made with some trepidition, but the locals have grown accustomed to our presence. We have earned a degree of trust and respect from them. I must also admit that the deeds of Nalifan and Trizkel have also been helpful in this regard."

"Who are they? Males by their names."

"Yes and they are not followers of the Dark Maiden. I suspect if Nalifan did not follow Mystra he would be one of the Vhaeraun's."

"That is hardly a favorable description."

The edges of Zehelia's lips curled in a smile. "He can be charming when he isn't infuriating. He is even more arrogant than one would expect from a wizard of his power. His band has also saved the Dales from two disasters and has been a quiet neighbour so he has earned considerable good will."

"And Trizkel?"

"His quiet shadow. He is utterly deadly, a warrior-mage proficient in an esoteric magical discipline. His speach and manner is restrained compared to Nalifan's flamboyance. Their other comrades are masters of stealth and often say little. Although that maybe because it is almost impossible to get a word in edgewise when the arch-mage is speaking."

"He is that skilled at magic?"

"Merely speak with him. He is most willing to go on at great length about his many wonderful qualities." There was a pause. "The man is living proof that women should take all men in hand. Lolth's tyranny is taking it too far, but they shouldn't be allowed to wander around without firm guidance."

"He sounds challenging to deal with."

"Exasperating is closer to the truth, but I cannot deny his deeds have aided us. One of those in his service is a follower of Eilistraee so we do have some means of following his activities. If you wish to know more, he does frequent the temple of Mystra in Harrowdale upon occassion."

"Perhaps I will visit the temple. Talking with him sounds like a unique experience."

"If one considers the combination of a quick wit, a false veneer of politeness, self satisfied ruthlessness, and overwhelming arrogance to be a 'unique experience' then Nalifan will not dissappoint." Zehelia began kicking off her boots. "You are quite welcome to join us," she said as she began working at the ties of her jerkin.

"Not thanks. I'm too much the prudish sun elf to go around dancing naked."

"Your loss," said the priestess as she tossed the tunic aside. "The Dark Maiden welcomes everyone. You are certainly welcome to join us at our next dance after meeting Nalifan."

"Any particular reason?"

The priestess slid her breeches off. "I believe that most people have the desire to run around and hit something with a sword after speaking with him."
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

:lol:

I'm sorry, the last line just got me.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

*has a hard time not busting out laughing at work after reading that*

Omg omg... :wipes at tears: That was just so very priceless. Are you sure you didn't get a woman's input writing that up? Hell, even Kaeryn was wanting to knock Nal off his high horse after meeting him! :lol: :lol:

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote: Omg omg... :wipes at tears: That was just so very priceless. Are you sure you didn't get a woman's input writing that up? Hell, even Kaeryn was wanting to knock Nal off his high horse after meeting him! :lol: :lol:
No, I didn't have a woman's input. I'm glad you liked it.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: Omg omg... :wipes at tears: That was just so very priceless. Are you sure you didn't get a woman's input writing that up? Hell, even Kaeryn was wanting to knock Nal off his high horse after meeting him! :lol: :lol:
No, I didn't have a woman's input. I'm glad you liked it.
Liked it? I'm thinking of sigging some of it!

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

A mass of living fire writhed in the center of the forge. It was bound by magic, unable to leave. Shadows leapt and and twisted along the walls which were stacked with rack upon rack with weapons. A broad shouldered woman with her hair cut short was filing the edge of black metal greatsword. She wore a long, high collared coat of blackened leather. She looked up as they entered. "Arch-mage."

"Craftmistress." Nalifan dipped his head slightly. "I require a moment of your time and a few pieces of your arsenal."

Her gaze narrowed. "Of course arch-mage. How may I be of assistance?"

"Wire and a blade craftmistress. Adamantine for both. The blade, double edged, foot long dagger. Give or take."

She nodded and went to a locked cabinet of black iron. Keys from her belt opened it and she removed two items from inside. "Will this suit you arch-mage?" Silver runes glittered along the flesh of her right arm.

Nalifan examined the weapons. Fourteen inch triangular blade of razor edged adamantine. It could punch through steel with enough force behind it. The wire was fine, very fine and just the right length. "You have anticipated my needs craftmistress."

She inclined her head slightly. "I have some experience in these matters."

"Of course you do. Forgive my words craftmistress. You excel as always."

"Thank you arch-mage. Good hunting, whatever your prey."

"My thanks," said Nalifan and he left, Laerasis in tow.

Laerasis waited until they were some distance away. "That was different."

"The craftmistress and I have long maintained a relationship of one skilled practitioner to another. Highborn drow tend far too much towards arrogance based merely on their birth rather than abilities."

"As opposed to being a brilliant arch-mage? Would you be so formidable if you did not have the wealth of House D'Azurentien to fund your education?"

"Of course not. Without being born into House D'Azurentien I would not be the man I am today. But the power resides in me, not in who my ancestors are."

"Our ancestors mark us all."

"True." Further conversation was interupted by a page boy who came running down the hall.

"Prince Nalifan."

"Yes."

"Prince Faneth requests that you join him in his quarters."

"Thank you. Your messge is delivered."

"What now?" asked Laerasis.

"We go and see my uncle." Nalifan lead her through the dark corridors up the spiral staircase of one of the spires to a room near the top. A door o black iron cast into the shapes of learing demon heads swung open as they approached. The two drow stepped into Faneth D'Azurentien's lavishly appointed quarters.

"Nephew, please be welcome," said the tall, lanky drow. There was a strong family resemblance between the two men. Faneth wore baggy silks of unrelieaved black. He was sitting at on chair in the lush sitting room. A decanter of bubbling green wine and several glasses sat at a table. "Would you care for some wine?"

"Thank you uncle." Nalifan fished out his unicorn horn talisman. It remained ivory white.

"Do you suspect me nephew. I, who might be your father?"

"Suspect the spymaster? Always." Both men laughed.

"Relax nephew, I have no intention of you ending up the same way as your clone."

"And how would you know my clone was poisoned?"

"Because I poisoned it, of course."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

*blinkblink*
Ok, I'm sure he's got a damn good explaination why....

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Kaeryn walked forward with a small pottery jar in her hands. Astinius was still on his knees praying. The toad on his shoulder wasn't. "Hey sister. Got anything for me?"

Kaeryn knelt down beside Astinius, holding her hands level with the toad. "I couldn't find any nightcrawlers, but I did manage to find some beetles." She removed her hand from the mouth of the jar and held it close. The toad's tongue lashed out and withrew with a small, shiny black beetle. He swallowed it.

"Thanks sister."

"You're welcome."

"Yes, thank you," said a soft voice. Astinius rose up from his knees. His hood and the scarf around his mouth hid most of his features. Only a fringe of light brown hair and piercing violet eyes were visible aside from lightly tanned skin. "I am afraid I have been somewhat neglectful of Mister Toad. I hope he will forgive me."

"Hey, no problem boss. You do alright by me."

"Thank you my friend."

Kaeryn extended her hand. "I'm Kaeryn, a Dweomer Keeper of Mystra."

The elf retreated back a step and held his hands back. "I am honoured. I'm Astinius, a humble follower of Mystra."

Kaeryn blinked. That was odd. "You are welcome here in her house."

"Thank you. I love the goddess dearly and I try to be worthy of her love."

"As do all here," said Kaeryn calmly. The elf's intensity was rather disturbing. "Is there anything I can do to make your stay more pleasant."

"No, thank you. You have been most kind to Mister Toad and I thank you for it."

"Yeah sister. Thanks."

"You are welcome," Kaeryn replied. "You seem unsettled. Do you wish to speak with someone." She took a small step forward.

"No thank you," he replied softly as he stepped back the same distance. "I can manage on my own. I cannot let my own . . . . difficulties prevent me from helping others. I can only do so much, but I strive to save every one I can."

"That's very noble of you."

"I try. With Mystra's aid, I have managed to save people from Dambrath to the Silver Marches. She has blessed me and I hope I have used her gifts well."

Kaeryn nodded her head mutely. She really didn't have a good reply to that. "If there is nothing I can do, then let me wish you a safe journey."

"Thank you. That is kind. I have friends I have promised to visit. I hope I can aid them in their fight against evil. If you will excuse me, I must leave."

"Of course," said Kaeryn. "Have a safe journey."

"Thank you," said Astinius as he circled around her and headed towards the outside.

Kaeryn watched him leave and shook her head. He was either deranged or damaged or some combination of both. She hoped he wouldn't harm others or get himself into any trouble. Somehow she doubted that was the case, which meant that Mystra better be really looking out for him.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"Uncle," Nalifan began, "why did you poison my clone?"

"So that it couldn't be used as part of a plot against you, my dear nephew."

"So I suppose thanks are in order?" said Nalifan as killing spells were ready to be unleashed.

"Yes, they are. But first let me explain the situation. There are some things to which you are unaware. This will all make sense in the proper context."

"By all means."

"When your mother took power from your grandmother, she secured her dominance over our sisters with the backing of her brothers. Between the three of us, and her other allies, she could not be opposed. No male can rule the House, so power fell into our hands. It was what she promised in exchange for our support. We were second only to her. We were safe. We could not rule and no one could offer us more than what she had already given."

"I know this," said Nalifan impatiently.

"I'm just touching on relevent points. House D'Azurentien has always had strong wizards, my self among them. No one was surprised when one of her sons turned out to be very talented. So she saw that you were properly educated as weapon of war. Iron handed discipline, tutors, rewards for achievements, everything you are so familiar with. But you came back from Sshameth changed. Restive.

"Our sister had made alliances and employed mercenaries in a fashion that the more orthodox matrons would not approve of. She ended our pointless struggle with N'hellis and made us strong. Very strong. She made all the right decisions and then she mishandled her brilliant son. She had made magic the center of your entire life and you had thrived. In Sshameth you had learned something of how vast the world was and the vast variety of magic it contained. And you wanted to go out and learn more. And she refused. And then you left."

Faneth paused to drink a sip of his wine. Nalifan didn't touch his glass. "She was enraged, of course. Her second mistakes was sending assassins after you. She couldn't let you defy her authority. They failed and then there was the Silence. Everyone everywhere was panicking. It became an open secret very quickly. Our wizards and the 'associates' your mother so wisely cultivated increased our power relative to the other houses. Your mother then used one of her remaining spells to summon a demon and interrogate it.

"It went horribly wrong. The demon shredded the wards and bit of the Matron's head. It disembowled your aunt Malatrial. Two of my sisters, our two most powerful priestesses, dead in moments. We then forced it back, but not without loses. We picked Nariel to succeed your mother as Matron."

"You picked her?"

"Yes. Z'Vonn, Relyanthir, and I held all the real power at that moment. Have you met Caledar?"

"Briefly."

"We offered him full adoption and he took it. We consulted with Belvantar, of course, but the decision was ours. Nariel was the best female to choose to be matron. She was the eldest daughter and reasonably flexible. So she became matron. It was a bad time. There were raids, slave escapes, and every wound or cough became signifigant. And then my sources learned of your victories. And your power."

"Nariel was quick to invoke your name loudly and publicly. You came back, assissinated Halezen M'lestar and her consorts in public and established D'Azurentien as the mightiest house. When the Silence ended, we were still the strongest as the others had taken loses as well.

"But you are also a problem, dear nephew. You are a male that does not need to obey a matron. You're a weapon of this house, but you are also a defiant male. A matron should consider strongly whether or not she needs such a dangerous example around. And she has."

"Really."

"Really. Nothing concrete, as of yet, but there are plans with sympathetic magic, trapped clones, and soul catchers being bandied about. Of course, if you clone dies, then that all those plans fail."

"And I remain alive. What do you get from this uncle?"

"Once you die, the rest of us will be broken. I have sat just below the matron in power for longer than you have lived. It was our cunning, the cunning of me and my brothers along with the men who serve this house, that brought us through the Silence more powerful than ever. We will not lose the power that is ours."

"The council will not permit a male run house uncle."

"That is true. They will unite against us rather than see their own power over their houses weakened by such an example. If, however, they were to be assassinated while meeting and other powerful males in several houses were to rise up and seize power, then that ceased to be a problem."

"I take it the Spymaster of House D'Azurentien knows several males that fit that description."

"Yes. I also have a nephew with powerful companions. Such a group of potent individuals could storm the temple and assassinate the council. They would get a suitable reward for their efforts, of course."

"Of course. That's a very interesting offer you are making uncle. I will consider it carefully. Whatever decision I make, I will not inform my sister."

"Oh, I'm not worried about that."

Nalifan raised an eyebrow. "Truly?"

"If you were going to kill me, it would be with your own hand not by running and telling stories to Nariel. Besides, you never liked her and the feeling was always mutual."

Nalifan raised his glass. "True." He drained half of it. "Uncle, I am here on different business, which to be blunt, takes priority. Whatever decision I make, it will half to wait."

Faneth nodded. "I am no Menzoberranzener, too impulsive and foolish to wait. Sooner would be better than latter nephew, but we still have time."