need a graphic tool for noobs

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

dragon
Sith Marauder

need a graphic tool for noobs

Post by dragon »

Ok I read the sticky about the graphical tools and was wondering whats really good for the complete noob when it comes to computer graphics. I used to be good with pencil drawings but has been along time since I drew on a regular basis.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

What are you trying to do?

EDIT: Because 'computer graphics' covers a *lot* of material... art styles, material used, etc. Do you want to do 3D? Cel-shading? Simple photo-manipulation? Removing red-eye from pics of your kids? What?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Just general types of drawings maybe some 3d. however not good at programming at all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Start with Paint. :wink:

You could get Gimp maybe... though that one takes some learning I hear, haven't used it though so I don't know what it does. Irfanview is okay, but is best for basic photo-manipulation, you really can't do that much with it besides resizing and a few small edits.

For 3D you're going to want Blender. Look it up on Wikipedia; has a link there to the free tutorials as well. It takes a *lot* of practice though, so you're gonna want to get used to spending time on the comp...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Er, this is still a pretty wide scope, man... .

Do you have a graphics tablet? Are you attempting to mimic realmedia? These things are important.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

If you want to try out some pencilling and painting check out Artrage. It helps if you had a tablet, but a mouse will do just fine.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Ok thanks it should give me a place to start and yeah I have access to a tablet.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Paint.net - it's Photoshop with training wheels, and freeware. Not very powerful but good enough for everyday editing.