With Justice For None (Nalifan and Company)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Nalifan left Messina's office and entered Gaheris's suite. The faerie, probably a gold elf by his colouring, glared daggers at him. By the defensive spells around him he was almost as powerful as Nalifan. No workings of high magic swirled around the elf, but he would still be a formidable opponent even if Nalifan still possessed his talismans and adjuncts. His lack shifted the odds towards the faerie who was clearly not suffering from any shortage in magical equipage.

Morfindel was leaning in corner in a deceptively casual manner that might fool someone who did not possess an uncle that was an accomplished assassin. Gaheris was in the middle of the room and had a stern expression on his face. It would take the paladin a very short moment to draw a blade, step forward, and thrust it into Nalifan's flesh. "Well," asked the paladin, "will you help us?"

Nalifan's lips curled briefly in a half smile. "You aren't my concern. Messina is."

"So you agreed to help," said Gaheris, "but haven't admitted to yourself that you are going to be helping me."

"You're in hiding and asking help from a drow and fleshpeddler. I think you're pretty desperate. That doesn't inspire confidence in your leadership."

"You're a stranger and you stick out like a dragon in a cow patch. We have the knowledge, contacts, and skills to move around and not get caught."

"The faerie sticks out even more than I do and I'm not even trying to hide," Nalifan replied. "I also win, which you seem to have forgotten."

Gaheris's hand closed on Nalifan's wrist like a vice. "Really? Where are all your wonderous talisman's then?" Nalifan tried to pull away, but the paladin held him fast. "Not so strong without the belt are you? Not quite as fast either. Was it the gloves that upped your speed? It doesn't matter. What matters is this: you're not that good." The drow glared daggers at him.

"Go ahead," said Gaheris. "It would be best to settle things now. Astinius is a master of counter spells. What are the odds of you getting a spell off before I put a blade in your throat? Not so good I would think." That wasn't Astinius's only extraordinary talent and it completely omitted Morfindel, but it was best to keep some surprises in reserve. "I've acquired some magic of my own since we last met. You've lost some. We have our own arch-mage and we know this city and its people. And lastly, we have standards and those mean we don't take orders from the likes of you."

He was outmaneuvered and overpowered and he knew it. Giving in gracefully was not a skill Nalifan had cause to use much. "Messina's been talking about me, hasn't she? And you didn't like much of what she had to say. Answer me this: which one of you heroes saved her?"

In a swift rush Gaheris propelled the drow up against the wall with the paladin's forearm wedged into his throat. Gaheris's ehanced strength easily held the drow half a foot off the floor and gasping for air. "How many times did you rape her? Shall we be conservative and say about once every three days, a hundred times a year, for twenty years? Two thousand rapes. There's a number of ways you can pay for those. Astinius would prefer fire. Morfindel would prefer strips of flesh and he can provide the knives. Your service in this matter will go a long way into putting you at the bottom of the list of those we have to deal with and buy you some mercy should we call you to account. That's justice. If you were a man you would understand that. But since you aren't, I'll make it simple. We're doing it my way."

"Understood," the drow gasped. Gaheris released him and the drow landed on the floor. The Vera'Dome held all the cards. They knew the city and he needed them more than they needed him. A life time of training and education told hm what he had to do in this situation: submit.
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-03-27 04:14am, edited 1 time in total.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Oops, I seriously hope for Gaheris and co than Nalifan never recovers his toys and doesn't involve his friends in this mess :twisted:

So burning for Astinius, flaying for Morfindel, what for Gaheris ? A little trip to the Abyss, where he will discuss the merits of virtue and law with a few high-ranking Tana'rii ?
Umbras
Youngling

Post by Umbras »

Nevermind Nalifan's toys if Trizkel was to find out what happened it would not be a good thing for everyone :twisted:
"Forgiveness is between them and god, its my job to arrange the meeting."
"I don't want you to kill him -- I just want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Umbras wrote:Nevermind Nalifan's toys if Trizkel was to find out what happened it would not be a good thing for everyone :twisted:
Don't worry, I haven't forgotten you.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

If Gaheris tries to manhandle Nal like that in front of Kaeryn, he'll find that a woman's best weapons are her voice and wit. Kaeryn can drop Gaheris several notches with those alone. She would ask them what necessary dark deeds they have done to blend in with the streets while trying to helping the helpless. Nalifan's gift of freedom came at a personal cost, or do these Vera'Dome not realize how drow society views mercy as one of the ultimate weaknesses? Look at it as a drow would: A prince sets his special concubine, a human of all things, free... even giving her money and safe passage to the WorldAbove. Nalifan is lucky his own mother didn't sacrifice him up to redeem the House of the shame. Has Gaheris stood against his family, his whole race, and defied them openly like that?

As for Astinius, she would have some pity for him, but Kaeryn will point out bluntly that his tormentors still have control over him. Until he lets go of that point of his life, he will forever be trapped. Come to think of it, without those fears he would become a stronger mage, so Kaeryn might be led to speak by Mystra to point that out either way.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Nomad wrote:Oops, I seriously hope for Gaheris and co than Nalifan never recovers his toys and doesn't involve his friends in this mess :twisted:

So burning for Astinius, flaying for Morfindel, what for Gaheris ? A little trip to the Abyss, where he will discuss the merits of virtue and law with a few high-ranking Tana'rii ?
For Gaheris? You know, I'd really have to give that one some thought. :P
Umbras wrote:Nevermind Nalifan's toys if Trizkel was to find out what happened it would not be a good thing for everyone :twisted:
Probably not, but nobody in that room is an easy mark. I have little doubt that Trizkel could kill Gaheris in a straight fight, but he doesn't like handing those to his enemies.

Tevar, as for that, Gaheris has a dark past himself. He understands very well what it means to grow up and live in the dark underbelly of a dark society; even more than Nalifan, as he lived on the bottom of one rather than the top. Granted, Westgate isn't so openly bad as drow society, but any place with an open temple to Loviatar isn't really that far behind. The difference is that he rose above it; from his view, Nalifan really hasn't. No, he hasn't stood against his whole race, and has no family to stand against, but he stood against the Night Masks at fifteen years of age, was driven into the wilderness as a result, returned at the greatest personal risk, and has stood against the Court of Night continuously for the past three years. Arguing from the position that he doesn't know what it's like wouldn't get her very far.

As for necessary dark deeds, he's still very much a paladin of Tyr, if an unorthodox one, and can readily demonstrate that fact. That he hasn't fallen should tell her plenty. But for all concerned, I should hope it doesn't come to that. Besides, why would she want to take Gaheris down a peg? Nalifan needed it far worse than he does, and he just got taken down two or three. :P

Oh, and Overlord, pointing out that Gaheris is in hiding is kind of stating the obvious; this is his usual situation. :lol: And it's Vara'Dome, dammit. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Umbras
Youngling

Post by Umbras »

Oh I'm not doubting it, just that Trizkel views Nalifan as family and he is technically the only person besides his love intrest that he cares about. All others he views with a sense of apathy, Until they show thier worth. Kunai(who is a free spirit) and Miko's(who has family) are considered close friends, but it is Nalifan & Sylvetria that he would fight to his final end for.

As to Trizkels past that is a door he has to open and has to find they key to do so. Things have started to slip through the cracks of its frame and they are brief teasing glimpses into a dark brutal world. This has started to reflect in his personality, which he is surpised to find that it doesnt bother him as much as it should.
"Forgiveness is between them and god, its my job to arrange the meeting."
"I don't want you to kill him -- I just want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yes, Trizkel is a very interesting character, I'll hand you that. I'm also very interested to find out what the hell he's doing down in the Underdark.

But I'm really wanting to get to the gratuitous violence. :twisted: I know the Night King will probably fall to Nalifan & Company if he does at all; it is, after all, their story, but can Gaheris have the Twilight Knight? Please? *Bambi eyes*
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: Tevar, as for that, Gaheris has a dark past himself. He understands very well what it means to grow up and live in the dark underbelly of a dark society; even more than Nalifan, as he lived on the bottom of one rather than the top. Granted, Westgate isn't so openly bad as drow society, but any place with an open temple to Loviatar isn't really that far behind. The difference is that he rose above it; from his view, Nalifan really hasn't. No, he hasn't stood against his whole race, and has no family to stand against, but he stood against the Night Masks at fifteen years of age, was driven into the wilderness as a result, returned at the greatest personal risk, and has stood against the Court of Night continuously for the past three years. Arguing from the position that he doesn't know what it's like wouldn't get her very far.

As for necessary dark deeds, he's still very much a paladin of Tyr, if an unorthodox one, and can readily demonstrate that fact. That he hasn't fallen should tell her plenty. But for all concerned, I should hope it doesn't come to that. Besides, why would she want to take Gaheris down a peg? Nalifan needed it far worse than he does, and he just got taken down two or three. :P
Yes, you took him down a peg... when he's without most of his toys. He's going to remember that moment, and Gaheris will regret it later.

But Kaeryn would take it out on Gaheris because he was being a bully. ;)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Rogue 9 wrote: And it's Vara'Dome, dammit. :P
Then spell it right when you mention it in PMs. :P
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I do. You've been spelling it right about half the time. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Rogue 9 wrote:I do. You've been spelling it right about half the time. :wink:
Not all of them. :D
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

*Checks sentbox.*
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The rest of the route had changed little, the orogs having driven away or slain any new wandering predators. True, a cave fisher had moved in further down, but Trizkel spotted it easily and avoided the menace. It wasn't a match for him in any way, but the drow felt no need to kill a predator for hunting.

The cistern where he had refilled his water skins on the way up was still there, as was the creature that prowled the depths. Magic meant he needed no such sustinence and he passed on by without risking the water. In so many ways he was not the naive young warrior who passed this way years ago. Only a handful of years seperated what he had been to what he was now, but those years had changed him.

He climbed up to a tunnel mouth and continued his journey. It wasn't much longer now. Two days at the most to Vzinabredin and the answers that would be his. He flexed his fingers and touched his palms to the hilts of his swords. One way or another he would have his answers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beneath Westgate, its king held court. Obrakh sat masked and robed in a carved wooden chair as Deimios entered the room. Rich red carpeting on the floor and traditional tapestries of hunting scenes added enough grandeur for the room to pass as modest royal chamber instead of a ambitious farce. Deimious bowed low to the Night King.

"What news?" commanend Obrakh.

"The Banites are out in force," responded his lieutenant. Deimios had not yet been brought into the aristocracy of the night, but he was a leading contender for recruitment. "They are brazen, but not stupid. They are always in number."

"They wish to spread the Black Fear of Bane. It is what I expected," the Night King said coldly. "What of the priests of Lathandar and Ilmater?"

"The House of Ilmater is far too public for them to hide anything. We have spies posing as some of the destitute. They are refusing to go with the authorities and our Watch men don't have the stomach to try and arrest them. The Lathandarites are harder to read."

"The Watch is of no consequence." Which was true. Now that it had been broken by fear and greed it would do the will of the Night Masks but having purged it of much of its courage and decency it wasn't the proper instrument for bold tasks. "It takes courage to enter a temple when the followers of Bane are watching every face."

"Majesty, the people are restive."

"That is of no consequence. Any rioting can be dealt with, not that it will occur. These folk are used to bending their necks. I will arrange the followers of the Morning Lord and the Broken God. Keep watching them and dragging down the last of the Triad dogs."

"Most of their known agents are dead or accounted for, your majesty."

"Including Gaheris?"

"He eluded the Banites."

"Then perhaps I should see that he is dealt with. You are dismissed."

Deimios bowed, turned and left leaving the Night King alone in the half light of the braziers. The man who had once answered to the name Manshoon toyed with several options before settling on one liked. He rose from his throne. He had plans to put in motion.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ah.. a nice little Interlude. I wonder what the Night King has planned?

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Nalifan straightened his collar as if nothing had happened. "Now, if we are to proceed, what is the situation?"

"The Night Masks and their allies have destroyed the Abbey of Blinding Truth," said Gaheris. "They know where some of my people were hiding and sent strike teams after them. We're regrouping now. They've blaimed the attack on 'False Triad members'. They dressed up Tyrian and Tormite livery before making their attacks. They had their pawns call away the Watch from the attacks and blaimed honest men for it."

"Old tricks are sometimes still the best tricks. They are now hunting your people on the assumption that they might be 'False Triad', yes?"

"Yes."

"So the Night Masks will slit their throats and if the Watch gets them they will disappear and be given over to the Night Masks. Good."

"Good?"

Nalifan waved his hand. "Just continue."

"We've left messages for our people, in code, where they'll see them. We'll know more in a few days from them."

"Their allies?"

"Banites are suddenly present in the city in large numbers and in full wargear."

Nalifan nodded. "And your allies?"

"They are currently being targeted by a campaign of harassment and intimidation."

Nalifan rolled his eyes. "Who are they?"

"The clergy of Lathandar and the clergy of the House of Ilmater. We have some . . . . friends in other places."

"You don't trust me with their names. Fine. First things first, I cast a spell on you." Astinius tensed.

"Doing what?" Gaheris asked warily. Pinning the drow had been a calculated risk weighing Nalifan's spite against the need to demonstrate strength and resolve. Gaheris had also done it in private so the mage wouldn't be humiliated in front of witnesses and his loss of face would be minimized. That didn't mean he was enthusiastic about someone who could turn him into a glass statue casting a spell on him.

"Have your master of counterspells stand by," said Nalifan. "I'm going to shield you from scrying and mind influencing spells. If they have enough magic to crack the Abbey's defences, they'll be able use it to hunt you."

Astinius nodded in the affirmative. "Do it."

Nalifan uttered a short string of syllables. "That will shield you for about a day. Now we need to move from this place. There are too many of us and we attract far too much attention. My manse is available."

"How stupid do you think I am?" said Gaheris.

"Stupid enough to turn down a secure local that I can easily teleport from," replied Nalifan.

"That's not how I see it," said Gaheris.

"Of course," said Nalifan. "I'm going to destroy my-, never mind. I, at least, will retire there after speaking with Messina. You, faerie, can you cast a mind blank upon our glorious leader the next day?"

"My name," he said coldly, "is Astinius. And yes, I know that spell."

"Good. And now-"

"You're not in charge," said Gaheris. "Do I have to demonstrate that again?"

"Very well," said Nalifan. "I currently have very few spells with me that are useful for such tasks as disguising myself to appear human or covertly tracking priests of Bane or Night Watch block captains. I do have a much more extensive collection of spell books at my manse. What is my logical next move?"

"Go," said Gaheris.

The drow inclined his head fractionally and left the room. He crossed the hall to Messina's office and knocked. "Enter," she said. He did so.

"You should leave with me," he said.

Her heart beat faster. "Why?"

"Too many strange occurances here. There's a chance someone will put things together and it will land in the Night Mask's lap."

"A small chance."

"A real one."

"This is mine," she said. "If I leave it, they will know something is up and everything I've built will be ruined."

"I can give you money. I would do so gladly."

"And go back to being your pet? No. You were an kind master, but no."

"You would go where you like, live as you wish. I'll help you as much or as little as you want. I set no conditions. This city is at war. The enemy has already struck hard and they are winning. Staying here you are literally gambling with my life."

"I've done that before. You have my decision."

"Very well. I will respect it, but if you change your mind the offer will always be open."

He uttered a spell and was gone. He reappeared in his study. He opened the door and strolled out, nearly colliding with Cazia. The stout blonde stammered. "My lord, ahh-"

"It's nothing. I will be in my study. Send Laerasis to me when she is free."

"She is attending to the guests."

"Guests?"

"Lady Kaeryn and a gold elf companion."

"Where are they?"

"The dining room."

"Thank you," he said. "Ignore all the orders I just gave you and be on your way."

"As you wish," she said and bobbed her head before heading off. Kaeryn had brought company to his house. Interesting and yet another complication, but perhaps a beneficial one. He headed towards the dining room and what Tymora's whim had given him.
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-03-28 02:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The only question is, how many of his agents were known to the Night Masks?

And he's really that desperate to nail Gaheris? My, he really must be afraid. :twisted:

As for what he has in mind, the Fire Knives, perhaps? Good fucking luck, but they'd probably be his go-to men for assassinations that Dahlia's retainers can't handle.

And yeah, IO, I just went through every PM I've ever sent you, and found no references to "Vera'Dome." :P
LadyTevar wrote:But Kaeryn would take it out on Gaheris because he was being a bully. ;)
Remember when Kaeryn was going on to Nalifan about how there would be no torture? Gaheris is just making sure. :P And yes, I'm acutely aware that this will probably bite him in the ass.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

That one felt rushed. Like it was hurrying me to get thru it and get done.

Or maybe it's because I'm reading this on my 30min lunch break ;)

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Rogue 9 wrote:The only question is, how many of his agents were known to the Night Masks?
Gaheris would like to know that, but he hasn't gotten into contact with all of his people yet.
And he's really that desperate to nail Gaheris? My, he really must be afraid. :twisted:
Thourough is the word you're looking for.
As for what he has in mind, the Fire Knives, perhaps? Good fucking luck, but they'd probably be his go-to men for assassinations that Dahlia's retainers can't handle.
You'll find out. And some of the Fire Knives are actually very good when not suffering plot induced stupidity. Unfortunately, that abounds in novels about Cormyr.
And yeah, IO, I just went through every PM I've ever sent you, and found no references to "Vera'Dome." :P [.
That's because I lied. Its actually in a saved AIM conversation. :P
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote:That one felt rushed. Like it was hurrying me to get thru it and get done.

Or maybe it's because I'm reading this on my 30min lunch break ;)
It felt rushed because the characters were rushed. Nalifan didn't want to spend another minute around them he didn't have to and he wanted them out of there (for Messina's safety) as soon as possible.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"That went relatively well," said Gaheris. "He'll probably be trouble afterward, but we can handle that." With a knife if necessary wasn't spoken, but understood.

Astinius nodded fiercely. Morfindel said nothing. The covers of the bed shifted and Mister Toad hopped up. "He's certainly got a high opinion of himself."

"Drow tend to," said Gaheris. "Any other observations to add?"

"He's a cool one. He may have been as angry as a scaled frost giant but he was all business. He'll fight this one cold. Not bad. Makes him predictable."

"Morfindel?" Gaheris asked.

"Among the followers of Lolth, males learn to hold their tongue and swallow their pride, especially in the noble houses. He'll be patient. I can't say if he will turn on us, but it will be after he doesn't need us. He's too much of an anomaly for me to say more without knowing him a lot better."

"Anomaly?"

"I've met a number of drow in the service of the Dark Maiden. Some of the stories they have can tell you won't let you sleep easy just from hearing them, if you'll allow me to borrow the expression. His behavior is hard to categorize other than he is a powerful male who doesn't have to defer in public. And, by the standards of Lolthites, he's merciful."

"We'll keep that in mind until we learn more," said Gaheris. "We should start getting contact from our people over the next few days. We need to plan out what to do."

"Without Nalifan?" asked Morfindel.

"For now. When he gets back we'll listen to what he has to say."

"The question we should be asking," said Astinius, "is what is their next move?"

"Hunt us down and kill us," replied Morfindel.

"What else?" said Astinius. "They're already doing that. They're going to make another move to consolidate their power base and crush all opposition."

"Acoros," said Gaheris. "He's stubborn and only has a few priests with him. His temple is suppossed to be accessable to anyone at anytime. It's a house of healing and charity, not a fortress. They'll hit him now. He's an easier target than the Lathanderites and they'll get rid of the last powerful Triad priest in the city."

"Won't they fear backlash?" said Morfindel.

"They'll take the chance," said Gaheris. "Especially if they can blame it on the 'False Triad'. This is Westgate. People don't rise up until the iron fist starts to come apart. That's where we come in."

"We plan our own reception for the Banites."

"Tyr is just. Nalifan's mercy gives him a chance of receiving mercy. Banite malice receives punishment in full." Gaheris's words were as cold as ice and as hard as iron. "We need to move in force and with stealth." His eyes flickered over Astinius.

"There will be less people on the streets after dark. I'll manage. The bow and the scarf will attract too much attention, so I'll leave those behind. You can count on me."

"I know."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"Nal," said Kaeryn warmly as he entered the dining room, "I thought we had missed you."

The edges of his lips lifted in a brief smile. "An unscheduled return, completely fortuitious." The two women were sitting at one of the two smaller tables that could join with the larger one at the center of the room. Unless he was entertaining a large number of guests, the smaller, cozier tables were the ones usually in use. Bowls of soup were in front of each woman along with a plate to hold selection of cheeses, olives, bread, assortred vegetables, and cold cuts taken from the large platter. A crystal flagon of golden wine completed the table setting. "I'm afraid you companion is unknown to me."

"Let me rectify that," said Kaeryn. "This is Nalifan, of House D'Azurentien, arch-mage and master of this house. Nalifan, this is Imizael a mage on friendly terms with both Mystra and Eilistraee."

"Be welcome to my house," he said. "It is a pleasure to meet you."

Imizael rose and extended her hand. "Likewise," she replied. "Your reputation proceeds you."

Nalifan clasped her hand in greating. Kaeryn noted the absence of his bracers immediately. "You haven't heard too much about me if you decided to meet me," he joked.

"Not all of what I heard was bad," she replied.

Nalifan nodded and smiled as he asensed the woman. A brilliant cand complex pattern of gold and silver energies assailed his eyes. It was almost like looking at the sun. High magic and woven with a skill superior to his own.

"Nal," said Kaeryn, a concerned look on her face, "is everything alright?"

"No," he replied, "it isn't. I am in the midst of dealing with . . . . . I shall say five reversals or problems of a serious nature. Several of them are interconnected to each other, so one could quibble about the number."

"Arch-mage," Imizael began, "if I have arrived at an inopportune time we can post pone this for another time. Nothing I wished to speak with you is urgent."

"Thank you high mage," he replied. "You may be assured that my personal difficulties do not threaten Cormyr, the Elven Court, or the Dalelands, to the best of my knowledge. Which admittedly contains some rather large gaps at the moment." He paused. "I will be here until early tomorrow at the earliest. There is little I can do to directly address my problems in this interval and I would not object to company during this time. Stay, if you wish it.

"Kaeryn, and her friends, are welcome in my house even if I am absent. The only rules of relevance are do not abuse my servants, which hardly need be said, and leave any locked doors alone. They are secured for good reasons and tampering with them or what is found inside of the rooms, is hazardous."

"So noted and thank you. I must say you are not quite what I expected."

He smiled and nodded. "Nal," said Kaeryn, "we need to talk."

"Perhaps we do. If you will excuse us, Imizael."

"Of course," she said. Kaeryn rose from the table and followed the arch-mage to a study just off of the huge library. She closed the door behind them.

"How bad is it?" she asked bluntly.

"Bad," he replied. He sat back in a chair. "Please sit. This will take time, I think."

She sat down in a chair close to him. "I know you were raised never to show weakness and that the habits of a life time can be hard to break, but evasion and affected nonchallence aren't going to solve any problems."

"You are correct. Let me see, how best to present this? Ahh. I woke up recently in the body of a clone. I have been killed by parties unknown," he exposed his bare wrists, "and have lost my most potent adjuncts. My family is engaging in a covert power struggle which involves me. These are secondary matters."

"Secondary!" She said her voice raising.

"Yes. They are not as time sensitive as the rest."

"Tymora's graces! What have you gotten involved with?"

"My past," he said quietly. "Something neither of us have been eager to talk about but which has much bearing on this matter."

"An old enemy?"

"A slave," he said. "Messina. She was a reward for progressing so rapidly in my studies. What is that phrase? Ah yes. She was a carrot to go with the stick."

"What happened?"

"You must understand I was the best thing that ever happened to her. She was born in the slave pens, her mother a reward given to other slaves when they performed well. She was traded around several times by the time she ended up with me. She was in her late teens, give or take, and she had been a whore for a long time. To become a prince's concubine was a stroke of incredible good fortune."

Kaeryn made a face. "Go on," she said soflty.

"She worked hard to please me. Beauty fades, especially in humans. If she could win my favor she could earn a place in my service even when I ceased to desire her. I'll spare you the details. Suffice to say she made herself very agreeable, planned entertainments, and whatnot. For my part I was not cruel to her, gave her gifts, and treated her well. I took her with me when I went to persue my studies Sshameth and in that city I saw a dozen races come to trade and deal in magic.

"Before I left I let her go. I left her with a substantial amount of money, enough to start a new life, and paid some professionals to see her safely started on that new life. Until today that was the last I saw of her."

"What did your family think?"

"That she had run off at Sshameth with most of my money. I endured a temporary loss of face and prestige. That I would have let her go was too ridiculous to consider."

"Did you love her?"

"No." He paused for a moment. "Drow don't talk about it and will never admit it, at least not the ones who follow Lolth, but it does happen. I have enough experience, feeble as it might be, to know it wasn't love."

"I remember the first time I saw Trizkel, that night after Szarida attacked. I didn't know Sylvetria at the time, didn't recognize what her absence meant. I never heard the words you spoke to him, but I saw the way you acted."

"Yes, I love him in the way humans and elves and dwarves are supposed to, but often don't, love their brothers. And I have seen his eye when he speaks of Sylvetria. I know love. I cared for Messina, still care for Messina, but it isn't love."

"It is enough for you to sacrifice on her behalf. Enough to put aside a quest for vengeance and the recovery of Weavebinder and Spellbreaker."

"True enough."

"Then it is in some form love I think."

"Perhaps. You would know better than I."

"So what do we do now?"

"We?"

"This is an urgent problem where time is critical and the first person you ever loved is tangled up in it. If you think I'm not going to help you don't know me very well." She reached out and took his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Very well then priestess of Mystra. The Night Masks have made a play for total control of Westgate. Their allies apparently include priests of Bane and they have ruined the Abbey of the Blinded Truth, which is no small feat if you are not familiar with it. They wore fake Triad livery during it and have purged the Watch. The surviving Triad members are now hunted through the city by the Watch for 'questioning' and by the Night Masks and Banites for much the same end."

He paused. "Three survivors took refuge in brothel operated by a woman who worshipped Ilmater first among the gods. She sheltered them. One of them sent me a message. She asked that I help them. I agreed. So now I am tied to a bunch of Triad fools who need my strength but like me not at all and trust me only slightly more. They are indespensable, of course. They know the city, they have informants, and they may have surviving allies who have escaped the purge. They will not, however, follow my lead in this matter."

"Mystra had no love for Bane and I can see no higher duty at this point than aiding you," she said. "I can't say I'm surprised that they dislike you Nalifan. You can come off as somewhat high handed and arrogant."

"That I will not settle for less than is my due is my perogative."

"Not everyone sees it as what you are due," she replied. "Arrogance and vanity are words more likely to be used."

"And you?"

She reached out and stroked his cheek. "I enjoy your company and your accomplishments are impressive, but yes you are both arrogant and vain."

"Perhaps something is lost between our cultural divides. If you will permit me some unpleasantness, I think I can rectify this swiftly."

She nodded in affirmation. "Why do you think I am so vain?"

"You're a drow noble." The slap was so swift she didn't register it until she struck the carpet. She looked up at him stunned.

"That was the price I paid for the first error in a day. The second would be a rod applied to my back. The third would be the application of a paste with less than pleasant properties. I won't describe the fourth. I lived with that for more decades than you have been alive.

"A fortune in time and money was spent training me to be as perfect an instrument of war as a male could be. I grew up in a house where men were only status a male could achieve was mastery of violence. I am first and foremost a dealer of death, an instrument of destruction and a wrecker of havoc. I was trained to kill or cripple enemy priestesses and shatter any undead under their command because females are intrinsictly more important than males, something I was never allowed to forget. Slaying wizards and warriors was secondary. I am arrogant because I am good at killing whether it is in planning the conflict or on the field of battle, not because I am a scion of a noble house whose members may want me dead."

For a moment, she saw past her own anger to a childhood warped and twisted, devoid of joy and filled with fear and pain. And she saw something else. "You're afraid," she whispered.

"Those Triad fools!" he snarled. "They hold her life in their hands and merely want to use me as a weapon in a war they are already losing badly. I can't go around them, I need them and their sources and they will get themselves all killed."

"Nal, some of what you would consider acceptable the rest of consider atrocities. There are things that should not be done. Ever."

"I won't debate this with you. We won't go anywhere we haven't already gone. Their leader has far too much faith in his people to realistically assess the situation. He's going to get them killed because he doesn't understand what he is up against."

"How can you be so sure of that?"

"Because when he first met me and I had him, he threatened me with the vengeance of his fellow followers of the Triad. As if there power was anything that I should fear. The builder of this house feared their interference not at all. He even desecrated their temples and massacred them without fear of their retaliation. And why not? It was not the Triad that ended him. His error was considering me and mine prey."

"Then perhaps I am essential," she said. "If they really need your experise then perhaps someone they consider more palatable should make the argument for it."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-03-28 04:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The justice of the Triad is more how he would think of it, but I suppose so. :P I still say that having the Hammers of Grimjaws consider you their enemy is hazardous to your health, archmage or not. :P

And mmmmmmmmm. An Imperceptor's blood on Bright Edge would be sweet justice indeed. :twisted:
Imperial Overlord wrote:
You'll find out. And some of the Fire Knives are actually very good when not suffering plot induced stupidity. Unfortunately, that abounds in novels about Cormyr.
I didn't say that because the Fire Knives suck; I say it because Gaheris doesn't. By level he's a match for the Grandfather of Assassins; by abilities he's probably more than such because the Grandfather of Assassins is an old man.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

:rubs cheek: Hopefully he'll kiss it and make it better later. :roll:

But it was something she needed. Even with the knowledge she does have of Drow Society, the cruelty male children go thru is still something hard to wrap your mind around.

hopefully Gaheris will accept the aid of Mystra's DweomerKeeper, and not be such a stubborn Tyrian.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: I didn't say that because the Fire Knives suck; I say it because Gaheris doesn't. By level he's a match for the Grandfather of Assassins; by abilities he's probably more than such because the Grandfather of Assassins is an old man.
*now* who's being vain and arrogant?