A Sad Truth About Garfield

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

A Sad Truth About Garfield

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The comic would be so much funnier if Garfield didn't talk.

It's a long article (with pictures with examples, hence no quotation), but it's scarily accurate.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

It works to an extent, but some of the examples posted just plain don't work.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

A funniness increase of .002% isn't all that significant.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

There are some really great examples of that at http://www.tailsteak.com/arbuckle/

Tailsteak - the same guy who did One over Zero, for anyone who read that - started a site for "Arbuckle" strips, as he calls 'em.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

How about randomized Garfield strips:

That these even work shows just how monotonous these things are, but somehow the randomness makes them a mite funnier.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Re: A Sad Truth About Garfield

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:The comic would be so much funnier if Garfield didn't talk.

It's a long article (with pictures with examples, hence no quotation), but it's scarily accurate.
My god, that's a stroke of genius. It makes the comic something like 500 times better, and almost into the realm of post-modernism.

EDIT: Anti-humour. That's the word I was looking for.

Although the strips in the older years were funny, so annother question might be "at what point should Garfield stop talking..."
Last edited by Spanky The Dolphin on 2006-03-20 01:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

Theres a massive thread over on the SA forums about this very topic, and some of the entries have been fucking hilarious.
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Oh my God, I'm only now going through the rest of that Truth and Beauty Bombs thread, and these are absolutely hysterical. This is truly what the comic should be!

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: A Sad Truth About Garfield

Post by MKSheppard »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:It's a long article (with pictures with examples, hence no quotation), but it's scarily accurate.
Stolen from SA>
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

You sure? MackJ at Truth and Beauty Bombs started it on 30 January, who admits himself that it probably isn't an original idea (which it wasn't; seems it used to be done years ago on CastleZZT).

How old is the Something Awful deal?

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

A couple examples I whipped up last night. They were mediocre at best to begin with, and yet, with only Jon speaking...

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Some work.

But some rely on Garfield being able to speak.

If they made Garfield more 'cute' and childlike, they could play on a father-child relationship here it would work better, imo.

Kind of like Baby Blues.
Kanye West Saves.

Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

I'm a diehard Garfield fan, always have been since I first started reading the books and comic circa 1981, but over the years it seemed Garfield got less and less funny. I'm of the opinion that Jim Davies needs to let Garfield go, and end the strip in 2008. 30 years is not a bad run for a comic.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Deathstalker wrote:I'm a diehard Garfield fan, always have been since I first started reading the books and comic circa 1981, but over the years it seemed Garfield got less and less funny. I'm of the opinion that Jim Davies needs to let Garfield go, and end the strip in 2008. 30 years is not a bad run for a comic.
He should have let it go when it was 20 years old.

He won't let it go.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Why should he stop making money off a profitable franchise?

Garfield has for many years now - if not since the beginning - been designed to be the way it is. I mean, shit, Jim Davis doesn't even draw the strip any more, he basically just manages his franchise.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

This is why Calvin and Hobbes is the work of a genius.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

wolveraptor wrote:This is why Calvin and Hobbes is the work of a genius.
Watterson's decision to stop making strips of C&H didn't have to do with the quality of his humuor though.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Some work.

But some rely on Garfield being able to speak.
I think most of them work this way, frankly, but occasionally on completely different levels.

Sometimes it's just as simple as removing unnecessary buildup or punchlines, like in the following:

Other times the removal of Garfield's dialogue gives the strip a completely different spin, making it into a object of surrealism and anti-humour, and occasionally even elevating the strip into self-introspection:

Finally, and this is actually one of my favourite parts about Silent Garfield, is that it occasionally puts a mean and cruel twist on the strip, turning Jon and Garfield into major assholes, as well as magnifying how pathetic Jon's life is:

If they made Garfield more 'cute' and childlike, they could play on a father-child relationship here it would work better, imo.

Kind of like Baby Blues.
Than just read Baby Blues. Garfield was never "cute and childlike," he wasn't supposed to be. He was always supposed to be an older, lazy, acerbic-witted cat with an everyman-type of owner, with both of them more or less on the same level. Garfield was cutting edge when it debuted in 1978, going against long-running tripe like Blondie and, to use the "cute" line you provided, Family Circus. You can't just change a comic strip in such a way that goes against its very nature of origin.
Last edited by Spanky The Dolphin on 2006-03-21 01:31am, edited 3 times in total.

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

This is really interesting... I like the "crazy" Jon. It's so twisted...!
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

Um... I had always assumed that Jon couldn't hear the animals talk, that that was part of the joke, or at least that it was supposed to be ambiguous, kinda like Stewie on family guy. I thought that was one of the few things they got right in ther movie.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

The thing is, though, that Jon often reacts as if he can hear what Garfield is thinking.

Then again, that's not at all the purpose of the experiment, which is to show that overall, the comic strip is funnier when Garfield's thoughts are completely silenced.

The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

My god this is awesome :shock: :lol:

I can't stop laughing at some of them, it works so well :lol:
"Do not worry, I have prepared something for just such an emergency."

"You're prepared for a giant monster made entirely of nulls stomping around Mainframe?!"

"That is correct!"

"How do you plan for that?"

"Uh... lucky guess?"
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Some of them do certainly work without Garfield talking. Others... not so much. Particularly those where Garfield's words are the punchline.

Some of the "Arbuckle" strips also fall flat because they remove the anthopomorphic expressions that would otherwise have made the silence funny. Although some of that is becuase of the artists.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

It's funny because John looks like a certifiable lunatic, yelling at his cat.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

SAMAS wrote:Some of them do certainly work without Garfield talking. Others... not so much. Particularly those where Garfield's words are the punchline.
Three-quarters of the time, we could get the punchline without Garfield shoving it down our throat.
Some of the "Arbuckle" strips also fall flat because they remove the anthopomorphic expressions that would otherwise have made the silence funny. Although some of that is becuase of the artists.
How does removing thought bubbles change Garfield's physical state? He's still anthromorphised.

It's funny because John looks like a certifiable lunatic, yelling at his cat.
Ever since Lyman went off and became a detective down in Florida, Jon hasn't had any friends. Not even at work.

...Oh my god, what does Jon do for a living? Does he even work at all? You never see him getting ready/coming back from his job or anything.