Ever get a song stuck in your head?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Ever get a song stuck in your head?

Post by Mr. Coffee »

This happens to me all the time. I'll be walking along, the internal soundtrack playing just fine when all of a sudden, a song pops up that just will not go away. Not that it's always a bad thing, but it's something that happens to me a lot.

So today I've been keeping track of songs that get stuck in my head..

1. Dave Mathews Band - What Would You Say.

2. Glen Miller Orchestra - In The Mood.

3. Ground Hog Day soundtrack - Beer Barrel Polka (Don't ask...).

4. Metallica - Battery.

And it's not even three PM yet...

So what songs do you get stuck in your head?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

This bubly song from the '60's, "Sweet Pea," was the last one. uggh, that was in my head for more than a week. Clip of the song

EDIT: Also that accursed song, "Red River Rock," because it was in a movie I recently saw. Clip of it
Last edited by Bertie Wooster on 2006-03-26 04:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

For whatever reason, just reading this thread got AC DC - Hell's Bells into my head
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

In the James Bond movie Die Another Day, that song Madonna did. Called, uh, Die Another Day.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Bananaphone. A friend talking via VoIP has been singing it everynight for the last week and it's eating away at my brain.
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Thanks to Family Guy I had "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey stuck in my head for like a month. After that it was Foreigner with "I Wanna Know What Love Is," which led to a very awkward moment when I was looking at those pictures of Rye...
Chuck

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

All lthe fucking time. Yesterday, for example, I got the "Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" stuck in my head all day. I was singing it under my breath at every chess game, and singing it out loud between games, and it wouldn't go away.

Once, I got Beethovens' Fifth Symphony stuck in my head during a math test, where it distracted me to no end, and I couldn't dispel it.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

All of the time. About a month ago I had the song "Isn't it Romantic?" from a Mamoulian film called Love Me Tonight stuck in my head for a solid week until I was able to drive it out by watching the whole first season of Fraggle Rock in three days over the weekend.

One particular thing I've noticed is that while taking tests and exams, I often get old cartoon theme songs and Saturday morning commercial jingles trapped in my head for the whole time. It's hard to answer questions on international film globalisation and the different types of foreign national cinemas with the theme for Muppet Babies alternating with the My Buddy jingle along the side of your concentration... :P
Last edited by Spanky The Dolphin on 2006-03-26 05:55pm, edited 3 times in total.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I've had the Arctic Monkeys' "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" invading my head off and on for the last couple of weeks.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Sonnenburg wrote:Thanks to Family Guy I had "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey stuck in my head for like a month. After that it was Foreigner with "I Wanna Know What Love Is," which led to a very awkward moment when I was looking at those pictures of Rye...
Aww, I know what'll cheer you up.

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

I can't recall a time when I didn't have a song in my head. It's constant. Sometimes it's the freaking cadence from marching band. Always something.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I understand having music in your head all the time. I walk around and constantly there's a song in my skull. I call it my internal soundtrack. But sometimes my soundtrack will hit a song that will play to a certain point and then will go into an endless loop untill I suddenly remember the rest of the song.

Valdemar, you're an evil, sick, and twisted person for mentioning that...

But I respect that in my fellow man.

5. Perfect Circle - Orestes.

6. Gwar - Brong Back The Bomb (Shep, listen to this, as it might be your theme song).
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Sonnenburg wrote:Thanks to Family Guy I had "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey stuck in my head for like a month. After that it was Foreigner with "I Wanna Know What Love Is," which led to a very awkward moment when I was looking at those pictures of Rye...
Aww, I know what'll cheer you up.

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!
Great. Absolutely wonderful.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!
This is one of those times when I'm grateful for my sheltered childhood, thanks to which I have no idea what this peanut butter jelly thing is all about.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Bananaphone. A friend talking via VoIP has been singing it everynight for the last week and it's eating away at my brain.
I've had it stuck in my head for like a month since I saw AMV Hell 3.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Yes. Today. A song called "You're Never There" off the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack. Great song, but having it repeat in my head for about 2/3 hours drives one a bit batty.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass. The song's called "You're Not Here." Wow ...
Last edited by Erik von Nein on 2006-03-26 11:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Korn, 'Word Up' Had it in my head ever since hearing it earlier today.
JADAFETWA
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Mr. Coffee wrote:6. Gwar - Brong Back The Bomb (Shep, listen to this, as it might be your theme song).
I tried to remember "Bring Back the Bomb" after you mentioned it there, but it kinda merged in my head with "Krosstika." Makes for an unusual, if good, song.

Other songs that often get stuck in my head are various Strapping Young Lad songs, the occasional GWAR song, and assorted rock songs.

Bananaphone is also there, after it made an appearance in the webcomic "Nothing Nice to Say" and I found a flash animation of it a few months later.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

aerius wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!
This is one of those times when I'm grateful for my sheltered childhood, thanks to which I have no idea what this peanut butter jelly thing is all about.
Oh god it's in my head.
That seasons of love song from rent keeps ketting stuck in my head alot lately. I hate Rent.
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I have a song stuck in my head more often than not. The current one is one I heard on Family Guy; "Warrior" by Scandal.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

La Marseillaise picked it up from Civilization (the original one).
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

The Halo Theme songs, mainly "Rock theme for saving the world", The Drum part of "Truth and Reconciliation" Also Halo 2's "Halo Theme Mjolnir Mix".
Also Halo's "Covenant Dance", "The long run" & "Drumrun".

Also "Axel F", the Imperial march, The Batman "Theme" [orchestral version], "The Final countdown", "I need a hero" [Shrek 2 version], "GO!!!" (Naruto- GO "We Are fighting, Tiremas, na na nahnananaa...") .
The Evangelion songs: "Harbinger Of Tragedy", "Cruel Angel's Thesis (Ambivalent)", Zankoku na Tenshi no Teize, "Cruel Angel's Thesis(Normal version) ", "Decisive Battle", "The beast", "The beast 2", "Angel attack", "Kokoro yo Genshi ni Modore (Sub)".

Whatever the name is of the song/music playing during the Fight with Shredder on the rooftop (TMNT Movie, the first) also got stuck in my head for ages.

Now for movie music:
And: "Demon Warriors/Final Kombat" [Mortal Kombat", "Star Wars And The Revenge Of The Sith" (Title song, especially 4 minutes, 40 seconds into it), "Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan", "Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan", "Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan" , "James Bond Theme", "Dr. No - The James Bond Theme (Symphonic Version)".

And Classic music that get's stuck in my head more than most:
Beethoven: "Pastoral", "Symphony No. 5", "fur elise".
Mozart: "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (I. Allegro)", "O, Fortuna", "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (Allegro)", "Sonata In A K.331 (Turkish Mar".

And: "Carnival of the Animals (Le Carnaval des Animaux), Finale", "Allegro Con Fuoco" [Dvorak](I've had that orchestra in my head since I was 5-6 years old), "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", "Marche Slave".

Theres more, but those are the ones I know by heart (Or knew by heart in some of the cases of the non classical/Halo/VG/Soundtarck stuff :P ]

EDIT: Oh and:
"Princes of the Universe", "I want it all", "We are the champions" By Queen.
Also "I want to Rock!" , don't know by who [From one of the newer GTA OSTs].
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
TheBlackCat
Padawan Learner

Post by TheBlackCat »

Yes, routienly. I find the best way to get a song out of my head is to listen to it. Most recently I have had "Trauma" by Ayumi Hamasaki and the Shrek 2 version "Holding Out for a Hero".
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
-Richard Dawkins
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

It's the Final Countdown! *hums tune*

By Europe, I think. Whenever someone has a song stuck in their head, the very memory of it can be annihilated by simply saying 'the Final Countdown' or humming the opening bit. It is not mere music, it is a plague come for us all.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Zaia
Inamorata

Re: Ever get a song stuck in your head?

Post by Zaia »

Mr. Coffee wrote:So what songs do you get stuck in your head?
WE. HAVE. A. MUSIC. FORUM.

I don't think this is the first time I've moved one of your music threads from OT either, Mr. Coffee. Grrr.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman