Unity I: Worlds Without End, Redux (Complete)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

ElPintoGrande
Youngling

Post by ElPintoGrande »

Dun Dun Duuuuunnnnnnnn! I can't wait to see how Data plans on screwing them. Having not read the first draft I have no idea, so it's a suprise! I love this story by the way, and the fact that you keep the chapters coming gives me something to look forward to when I log on.
Yay! Midget Toss!
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

I do love Picard this time around. He failed the first test. He let himself look over the evil of the empire for the sake of the possibilities that awaited. When faced with the tougher test of sticking with his moral convictions in spite of the likely destruction of his ship, crew, the Federation, and Earth (all that he cares for in other words) he stands his ground. I love it.
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

ElPintoGrande wrote:Dun Dun Duuuuunnnnnnnn! I can't wait to see how Data plans on screwing them. Having not read the first draft I have no idea, so it's a suprise! I love this story by the way, and the fact that you keep the chapters coming gives me something to look forward to when I log on.
Thanks!
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Star Empire wrote:I do love Picard this time around. He failed the first test. He let himself look over the evil of the empire for the sake of the possibilities that awaited. When faced with the tougher test of sticking with his moral convictions in spite of the likely destruction of his ship, crew, the Federation, and Earth (all that he cares for in other words) he stands his ground. I love it.
Thanks. Yeah, Picard managed to stand up this time.... but let's see what today's trip will bring. :twisted:
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XXXVIII

As expected, the room erupted into a mixture of laughter and outrage. Captain Price's announcement, that the Alliance was going to launch an attack on the Death Star, didn't seem to be one people had expected. A Cardassian stood up, and things quieted slightly. "Are you insane?! That- that monstrosity is the size of a moon! It destroyed our world with one blow! There is no chance for success!"

"All we need," an officer in a rebel flight suit said over the din, "is a couple of proton torpedoes. We've done it before, we can do it again."

"I am afraid that that would fail," said a calm voice among the din. Luke peered across the room to a seated man, also in a Federation uniform, who had a very odd complexion. "The Imperials, having recognized the design flaw in their original battlestation, have made several modifications to the one which we now face. I do not think any such attack could possibly succeed."

"No one asked you mechanical man," sneered a Cardassian.

"Listen," Price said loudly, trying to get them to quiet down. "He's spent far more time studying the Death Star than any of you. He's also the one who has found the way to destroy the Death Star."

"Hey, Hey!" Han called over the crowd. "Listen up!" The room became quiet. "You Cardassians should especially appreciate what we're talking about. You've seen what this thing can do. The rest of you, just trust me when I say this is the deadliest thing to show up in your galaxy. If we have a chance of taking this thing out, we've got to take it."

"Just a minute," Janeway interrupted. "You're talking about blowing this station up?"

"That's the idea, yeah," Han replied. Han had that way, Luke noticed, that people tended to let him take the floor when he had something important to say. Leia called it "natural leadership."

"There's thirty million people on board that station," she said. "You're going to kill them all."

Han looked at the assembled leaders as if she had just announced her ship was powered by butter. "Yes. That's what happens in war you know. You kill the other side."

"I'm aware of the cost of war," she said quickly, "but if we destroy that station, we'd be no better than the Imperials."

Han just looked at her, his mouth half opened. "Have you lost your kriffing mind?"

"That station has innocent prisoners on board," she reminded them. "Captured friends and colleagues. We'd be killing them also."

"Listen lady," Han replied, trying to keep his composure, "This thing is a military target. It murdered billions of people and not one of those personnel on board batted an eye. Now, I'd like it if everyone on board would volunteer to get off the station and let me blow it up, but I doubt they'll be so inclined. So unless you've got a better idea sit down and shut up." Han slowly took his seat. "Is it any wonder she offended half a quadrant," he muttered to Leia, who was covering her face with both hands.

"Getting back to the matter at hand," said Price. "We have an idea how to destroy the Death Star, but it won't be easy. Captain Riker?" She nodded to the bearded officer next to her, who stood up.

"We have a device which can be mounted into a torpedo and launched at the Death Star. If enough of them are fired at once, it will cause a chain reaction and destroy the station. But that means we're going to need a large force to attack, probably every ship we can muster."

"It won't be easy," Wedge said from across the room. "The Death Star was designed to combat a large-scale assault. We'll need to stay sharp if this'll work."

"Yes," Riker replied. "Unfortunately, that's only half the problem. In order for the weapons to work we need to lower the Death Star's shields. Commander Data," he pointed to the strange looking officer who had spoken earlier, "can lower the shields, but he needs to get on board the Death Star to do it. If we can accomplish that, it could work."

"But," asked a Romulan officer, "he'll be on board the station. Is he volunteering for a suicide mission?"

"Once the shields are down we can beam him off the station," he replied. "The real trick is getting him over there."

"And how do you plan to do that?"

"We have several contacts inside the Empire," Gen. Reikken said. "We should be able to sneak him aboard the Death Star somehow."

Luke remembered his vision now. The place he had been, he realized was the Death Star. A chill went through him... he was going to face Vader, and he knew he was going to die. But he couldn't let things like that influence his decisions. If the Alliance was to succeed, they needed to make this work. "General," he said, "I volunteer to assist the commander on his mission. I've spent some time on a Death Star, and may be able to offer some assistance."

"Are you certain? This will be a very dangerous mission."

Luke nodded. "You can count me in, sir."

"Just a minute," Leia said. "One Jedi and a droid..."

"Android," Data said.

"Android, aren't going to be enough. General I also volunteer."

"Me too," Han said.

"No," Leia replied.

Han shot her a look. "Hey, there's no way your going and I'm staying behind."

"If there's a problem," she said, "If the transporter doesn't work, I need to know there's someone stupid enough to come and save us before the Death Star blows."

"You want stupid," Lando said softly, "he's your man."

"You bet he is," Leia said with a smile.

"I can get the three of you on board," Reikken replied. "I just hope you can deactivate that shield."

"Don't worry," Riker replied, "Data's pulled off some amazing stunts in the past. I'm sure this'll be no problem."

Data nodded. "Thank you sir."

"I'll need about two days to make the arrangements," Reikken said.

"I think it's agreed, then," said Admiral Riklin, "that destroying the Death Star is our best chance to end this war in victory?" There were several sounds of agreement around them. "Good. We'll plan the mission, then, for three days from now. And hopefully, by the fourth, there will no longer be a Death Star."
--------------------------------------------------------------

Picard was pushed into a chair by the guard, who then gave it a swift kick from behind, shoving his abdomen into the edge of the table. With a little effort he managed to push the chair back slightly, and folded his hands, still bound together, and placed them on the table. He watched the guard step back by the door while a tall, cylindrical android rolled up just behind him. A moment later the door opened, and an Imperial officer stepped into the room, a small smile on his face as he scanned a datapad. He walked up to the table and skidded the datapad across to Picard, who half caught it in mid-slide. He tried to turn it around, but it was difficult.

"Well, captain, it seems you've gotten yourself in quite a mess," the Imperial said, ignoring Picard's efforts. "The Emperor is none-to-happy with your refusal to help him; that's why you're here. I'm Colonel Jarls, and my job is to convince you to change your mind."

Picard had known this was coming, and had been preparing himself. "I will not cooperate. You can torture me as much as you like, I'll tell you nothing."

Jarls leaned across the table and plucked the datapad out of his hands. "No, you won't. And don't worry, captain, I won't be torturing you; I'm just here to ask you for the truth. Where is the Rebel Base?"

Picard, who had been staring straight ahead, turned to face the officer. "I don't know," he said with a half-smile, "I never asked."

Jarls shook his head. "Lying to me, captain, is a bad move. This," he held up the datapad, "tells me everything there is to know about you. 'Picard, Jean-Luc, Captain. USS Enterprise, Registry NCC-1701-E. Born: July 13, 2305, Labarre, France, Earth.' It goes on about everything, Captain; every little fact about you, we know. Your Starfleet records are incredibly detailed, even by Imperial standards. Full personal history, psychiatric profiles," he lowered the datapad, "I know everything about you I need to know. I know that you spent days being tortured by the Cardassians and didn't break. While I doubt their methods are as effective as ours, I'd just as soon not waste my time. Besides, you're human, and I hate torturing humans."

Picard smiled but there was no humor to it. "How kind."

"One more chance, Captain. Please take it; I don't want things to get unpleasant. Where is the Rebel Base?"

"You'll get nothing from me," Picard said, facing straight ahead of him.

The Imperial shook his head and began walking towards the far wall. "I beg to differ," he said as he tapped a few buttons on the wall. The wall rattled open and light spilled into the room, momentarily blinding Picard who had become accustomed to the darkened room. What he saw twisted his insides. Seven of Nine was strapped into a large device whose purpose was only too obvious. She was secured to a part standing straight up, trying very hard to remain stoic under the circumstances. A large piece was located at an angle in front of her, with various probe-like instruments jutting from it. "Not very pretty, is it?" the Imperial remarked.

"She doesn't know anything," Picard said, trying to keep the anxiousness out of his voice.

"You're most likely right," Jarls said. "But as I said, I do have your records." He held the datapad up. "'Based on his experience with the Borg, Captain Picard has taken a personal interest in the well-being of Lieutenant Seven Of Nine. This relationship is a paternal one, with Picard taking the role of father guiding her in her emotional and personal development. This is partially influenced by regret for his actions during the Borg-Imperial attack on Stardate-' well, you know the rest."

"Listen to me," Picard said anxiously, "she doesn't know anything about the Alliance."

"But you do, captain," Jarls said. "Now, we know you won't break if we torture you, but tell me, what would happen if we switch this machine on?" He pulled out another datapad. "Lieutenant Seven of Nine... ah, here we are. 'Limited experience with tactile stimulation has resulted in a heightened sensitivity to pain; this explains her extreme reaction to the incident on Stardate-' You people do love your stardates," he added as he left Picard to stew on the other side of the glass while he checked in with Lt. Derrik, where Picard couldn't hear a thing.

"Will he cooperate, Colonel?" Derrik asked.

"No, he's rather stubborn. This should hopefully jar him some." He turned his attention to Seven of Nine. "I lost three friends to the Borg," he said loudly, "so I take no discomfort in what I'm about to tell you. Lt. Derrik's mission is to torture you without mercy." Seven refused to even look down at the Imperial. He smiled. "Oh, I believe we have a strong one here, lieutenant. Just so you know, we don't want any information from you, we want information from Picard, and we'll keep this up until we get it. If you want it to stop, you've just got to convince him to tell us what we want to know. Perhaps we won't even need to do anything, if you can convince him to give in." He pulled out a microphone and attached it to Seven's throat. "He can hear anything you say now. Let him know how you really feel."

Seven looked up and saw Picard through the glass, a look of worry on his face. It was a reflection of her own. But she knew what would happen if he gave in. "Captain," she said, and for the first time she let her fear show a little, "please don't allow so many to die from my weakness... I will not be strong enough, so you must be."

"Colonel?" Derrik asked. Jarls walked towards the door.

"Proceed."

As Jarls re-entered the room Picard saw the other officer start pushing buttons on the device. Slowly Seven was lowered onto the other part of the device, her eyes closed. Picard shifted in his seat, his hands balling into fists. "The array is quite ingenious," the officer said without looking at Picard. "It activates the nerve cells in the skin designed to detect pain. It's very effective, with no long term side effects. We can keep this up for hours if necessary."

There was a lump in Picard's throat as he spoke. "Your barbarism has indeed reached new heights. How any culture can create such a device and call itself civilized is beyond me."

Seven was lowered into position, and her eyes suddenly flew open, and a small grunt was heard. Almost immediately they slammed shut, and Picard could see her biting her lip. He watched her body start to convulse slightly, and then to begin jerking around, accompanied by small muffled grunting noises. They heard the sound of fast and heavy nasal breathing for almost half a minute.

And then there was the scream. "Oo, that's a little loud," Jarls said, signaling the guard to turn the sound down slightly. "We don't want to damage our hearing."

"End this," Picard demanded. Each scream felt like a razor drawn across his heart.

"You have the power to end this, Captain," the officer said. "Just tell me where the Rebel Base is and I'll turn it off."

Picard shook his head furiously. "I don't know! I tell you I don't know!!!"

"Must you continue to lie?" Jarls said, and he tapped a communications device on his wrist. They watched as Lt. Derrik turned a dial on the array; Seven's screams intensified. "Every time you lie, Captain, I make it all the worse for her. Just tell me where the Rebel Base is."

Picard closed his eyes and turned away. He felt the officer grab his face and yank it forward. "Look, damn you! Look at what you're doing to her! Once again she's suffering because of you captain, and you don't even have the decency to look at her?!!!"

"Why are you doing this," Picard said, unable to keep the emotion from his voice.

"I'm doing this to save lives," he said with exasperation in his voice. "Millions will be spared if we can destroy that facility now, before it's done its damage. Help me save those lives! End her suffering!"

Picard watched her writhing form for a moment and closed his eyes. "In the Delphin System," he said, "Sector 710."

Col. Jarls checked his datapad, then hung his head slightly. "Captain, you're still lying to me!" he said through his teeth, slapping Picard on the back of the head with the datapad.

"I've told you the truth!"

"The FX-10 droid can monitor your biorhythms and brainscans," Jarls said, reaching for his wrist. "We know when you’re lying."

Picard was desperate as he watched him tap the communicator. "Please, I'm sorry, please don't-" he was cut off by a long, drawn-out scream. When it finally stopped he heard terrible sounds coming from the speaker. Seven's screams had now descended into a high frequency sobbing. "Please," he said, tears in his eyes, "leave her alone."

"Just tell me!"

"I can't!" Picard lamented.

Seven wailed. "No more! Pleeeeeaaassseee!" she cried as her voice descended into more blubbering. She was visibly beyond her breaking point. "Tell them!" she said. "Please, captain...."

"Listen to her," Jarl said. "How can you call yourself a human and not do something?!"

Seven's voice was full of pitiable agony. "...please captain tell them please..." she said in a dry voice, too deeply in pain to get a good breath.

"Captain," Jarls said, "did you know it's actually possible to torture someone to the point of death?" Seven found some new energy because she began screaming again. "I mean that the actual pain can so overwhelm the mind that the body actually shuts down and dies." He looked at his datapad. "Of course we have medical droids standing by, so rest assured we won't let that happen to your little Borg friend. No, we'll stop it before that point, give her a breather, then go back at it when she's ready."

"I can't tell you," Picard said quietly. "I won't tell you." His entire body felt clenched as he watched her. "You might as well just end this now, because I can't give in."

Jarls shrugged and listened as Seven began pitiably pleading again for Picard to end her horrible suffering. "We'll see, captain. Perhaps, in time, you'll change your mind."
Chuck

consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

That's it, Chuck's revealed himself to be an EU minimalist sympathiser, time for a showtrial. Thirty million people on the Death Star. Hmpph.

You couldn't take this rewrite as an opportunity for someone to tell Janeway to fix herself a nice tall replicated glass of shut the kriff up? Or that she should back to the Delta Quadrant and see if she can find someone who cares?

Further, I find that-Aiiighhhh!

We apologise for the fault in reviewing. Those responsible have been sacked. :D

In all seriousness, this whole thing is pretty freaking sweet.
CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

consequences wrote: Further, I find that-Aiiighhhh!

A shout to Monty Python... nice... lol..... and Chuck, as always great chapter.... even if I have read it before... .along time ago... lol

CERC
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

consequences wrote:That's it, Chuck's revealed himself to be an EU minimalist sympathiser, time for a showtrial. Thirty million people on the Death Star. Hmpph.
Hey, I got the 19 km Executor-class right! :)
consequences wrote: You couldn't take this rewrite as an opportunity for someone to tell Janeway to fix herself a nice tall replicated glass of shut the kriff up? Or that she should back to the Delta Quadrant and see if she can find someone who cares?
Spoiler text
Looking back I figured the Oracle must be really pissed at Han for how he treats her here... and the funny thing is, he's the only person besides her in this room that is still alive at this point in DOF (except for Price, who's left the galaxy). It rather calls to mind Kirk's "poor marksman" insult at Khan.
And then the ultimate irony is that it was the Oracle's own manipulation of her past self that caused this embarrassing situation to happen in the first place.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

CERC wrote:
consequences wrote: Further, I find that-Aiiighhhh!

A shout to Monty Python... nice... lol..... and Chuck, as always great chapter.... even if I have read it before... .along time ago... lol

CERC
Thanks guys. Originally the latter half of the chapter was going to be cut down substantially because the original didn't seem to need it (it almost felt like one of RayCav's little episodes). Oddly enough, I wound up making it longer once I realized how critical a scene this actually is for the story, the way it ties the Picard-Seven relationship together, forces him to re-live a shameful moment of his past, and also because it leads into-

Oh, but that's for tomorrow. :)
Chuck

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

I know I'm going to get jumped on here....but I'm just not sure about Janeway.

As much as I love to jump on the bandwagon to bash the crap out of here, Janeway standing up to protest the destruction of the Death Star just doesn't ring true at all to me. Ok she is an idiot, but it just appeared completly out of character to me for her to protest the destruction of planet destroying battle station after it blew Cardasia prime to hell.

I can see her after the meating doing yet another of her midnight crying things with Chakotey...but if anything, Janeway has a habit of completly oversimplifying something into 'Good' and 'Evil'.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

More spoiler stuff (regarding Chris' point)
I agonized very much over whether or not to keep that bit in the scene. In the end I did it because it fits with the established facts presented by the Oracle: that she attempted to manipulate her past self into pairing Seven up with Luke, so that he could destroy the Borg at Wormhole Station and thus prevent the eventual Imperial conquest. She stated that she manipulated her past self into objecting to the destruction of the Death Star because Seven's survival was a key part of her plan; what happened over the Borg planet would instead happen much earlier, and stop it all before it really started. You might notice how adamant she is about prisoners; she's not really interested in the Death Star as much as keeping her pawn in play for later use.
It's not just this either. You might notice that whenever Luke is in Janeway's presence he gets an uncomfortable vibe coming off her. It's not a joke that Janeway's an annoying person, the manipulation is instead a barely perceived wrongness to her.
Chuck

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

*smacks head*

Jesus how did I miss this....

Then again trying to follow all the plot lines in your story is like throwing all the pages from a textbook into a tornado and trying to make study notes...
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Admitedly, there's a lot of interconnectivity in the series, which is why sometimes there's less subtlety than I might normally employ. It's fun, though, to tie the cords together from all over the place... like Luke's visions where the human woman acts like a Borg and the Borg woman acts like a human, which makes little sense at first but once things progress it starts to make sense (like why Seven is pleading with Luke with a visible wound through her heart). It's just one of my things, I like it when stories are woven rather than spun, with the threads going forward and backward and side to side.

But to your point, like I said, I almost threw it out anyway, because it is a legitimate point. Hopefully someone reading the story all the way through would probably raise eyebrows as you did, but eventually see "Okay, so that's why that happened."
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

The punultimate chapter

Part XXXIX

Luke did one last assessment before departing his quarters for the final briefing on their mission. He walked double-time, because then perhaps he could take a moment to think before this started, before he went on that station. "You cannot escape your destiny," the words of Obi-Wan said, "you will face Darth Vader again." He hoped like hell it wasn't going to be now, but the knot in his gut was telling him otherwise. This straightforward mission was likely to be anything but, and he wished Leia would have stayed behind.

Luke turned the corner and almost walked into Captain Janeway for the second time. He gave a terse greeting and kept going, but she called after him, so he stopped. He tried to put on a pleasant face, but it wasn't easy. It never seemed easy when she was nearby... something itched at his brain, but he couldn't figure it out. "Yes?"

"I have something important I need to ask of you."

"I'm sorry, but I have to prep for this mission-"

"That's what I'm talking about," Janeway said, pulling out a PADD. "A former member of my crew is missing. After a careful examination of the evidence, I have reason to believe that she's a prisoner on the Death Star."

Luke struggled for the words. "If I could," he said, "I'd free every prisoner... I'd get every last person, Imperial or not, off that station before it blew. But we're going to be very hard-pressed for time."

"I realize that," Janeway said. "But please, if you can try..."

Luke saw the image on the PADD and did a double take. "Seven of Nine?" he said under his breath in mild shock.

Janeway seemed equally surprised. "You know her?"

"Not really," Luke admitted. "I saw her at the Tsunkatse arena..." And elsewhere, he didn't add. "I can't risk the mission looking for people," he said. "But I promise that if there's a chance I can save her, I'll do whatever it takes." He rushed to the meeting; Leia was the only one there, thankfully. After a few words, he decided to tell her about his vision.

"A year ago I'd have called it an amazing coincidence," Leia said. "But now, after all I've learned about the Force..."

"I can feel it," Luke said distantly. "The Borg, those two women; I can feel their destiny intertwined with mine."

"Will it be on the Death Star?" Leia asked.

"I don't know," Luke said. "But if Janeway's right, and she's on there, we have to help her."

"The mission comes first," Leia said. "We'll do what we can, but the Death Star is too dangerous to play around with." She pushed on when he started to protest. "If she's there, then I know exactly what she's going through. I want to help her, Luke, but not at the cost of the mission, and I don't think she'd want that compromised either."

Luke didn't really know Seven of Nine, but he felt like he did. And Leia was right, from the way he thought of her, she'd be the first to make the sacrifice, to do her duty because it was right, just like she'd let a Wookiee beat her within an inch of her life rather than kill him. "If it doesn't endanger the mission," he said, "we try."

"Okay," Leia said. "But we have to be careful. There's no telling what the Empire might have done to her."

"She's strong," Luke said without doubt.

Leia hesitated. "But everyone has their limits, Luke."

Seven was tossed into her cell; despite the ordeal she managed to avoid falling, and stood there impassively as the stormtroopers sealed the door. It was only then that she sat on the edge of her cot and began crying in quiet despair. She curled up and wept at the situation, because she knew the horrible experience of the day was only the beginning... that soon enough they'd try again and again, and there was absolutely nothing she could do to stop them. Like being forced to kill, dealing with capture and interrogation wasn’t really covered in her preparation to become an officer, and she was completely over her head her. Despair had overtaken her, and she was starting to wonder if she'd just be better off finding a way to kill herself.

"Unpleasant, isn't it," said the familiar voice. There was no smugness to the tone; on the contrary, there seemed the slightest hint of sympathy. "To have to face such suffering without the Borg to support you... none of the speeches Picard or Janeway gave could have prepared you for this, could they?" Seven couldn't bring herself to even speak or look at him. "Do you think you could endure it if that wasn't Picard out there?" Q inquired. "Does that make it worse? Or does that make it easier? I can never tell with humans."

Seven continued crying quietly, and Q paused. "Would it have been easier if that were your Rebel friend? If he said that he loved you and would spend his life with you because you are a worthy companion, could that compel you to endure this suffering?" He leaned down to her. "In other words, would that make it worth it? Would even the best things emotions could possibly offer you make all the pain worth having?" He waited. "I'll take that as a no."

"Leave me alone," Seven said pitiably.

"It won't end, you know," Q said, and her whole body shook with the sobs. "Not until Picard gives in, and he won't. He can't. If it's any consolation I doubt he could ever look himself in the mirror again, but that won't change the fact that he knows he has to keep the secret to try to save Earth. So you will suffer, Seven of Nine." He nodded. "You will suffer because you are a human... because you are an individual... because you are small." He sat down opposite her. "Of course, there's another way..."

Seven raised her head out of the ball she'd curled up in and looked at him with tear-stained eyes. "I don't want to," she said, just above a whisper. She never said what she was talking about... all there was was the sound of hollow defeat.

"I can help you," Q said finally. "Just a snap of my fingers. All you have to do... is ask." Seven tucked her head back in. "But it's up to you. You can try to endure it, be stoic in the face of torture... or take me up on my offer." Seven finally nodded her head. "Yes? Yes what?"

"Help me," Seven said from deep inside her bundle. "Please help me."

Q nodded. "I'm not without some mercy," he said, and snapped his fingers.

7 of 9 uncurled on the cot, then sat up. "Clearly you did this as a part of your so-called 'test' of humanity."

"That's right," Q said. "And you've proven that you feel human convictions should take a back seat to the necessity of the situation."

"That is only logical," 7 of 9 said. "Unfettered by emotion, I will be able to formulate an escape plan. Should that fail, I am capable of enduring pain far more capably. Whether you deem this a failure or not is of no consequence."

"Really, Ms. Hansen-"

"Do not address me by that name," 7 of 9 said sharply.

Q slowly slipped into a lop-sided grin. "Of course," he said with a voice like oil. "I don't think you grasp how this works. The Q aren't going to simply wipe you out of existence because you make a wrong choice. You will merely have to live with the consequences of your actions. There are two very important decisions that you, personally, will have to make before this ends. Make the wrong ones... and humanity will fail, and fatally."

"My choices will have the far greater chance for success," 7 of 9 said. "I am unburdened by emotion, and thus can act objectively. This will ensure success."

"We'll see," Q said coyly, and vanished.

Dr. Crusher touched up Data's make up, then put the hat on him. "What do you think?" she asked Riker.

"I want to strangle him, so it means it looks perfect."

"Excellent work, doctor," Data remarked.

Luke walked in, also dressed in an Imperial officer's uniform. "Ready?" he asked. "We'll be at the rendezvous point soon."

"Yes, commander," Data said, but when he got up to leave Riker grabbed his shoulder, and led him away from the others. "Is something wrong, sir?"

"You've heard the rumors that Picard is on board?" Riker asked.

"Yes sir. Captain Janeway spoke of it; and Seven of Nine as well."

"Yeah, well, the Empire's welcome to her," Riker said bitterly. "But regarding the captain... I've been friends with him a long time, and so have you, but this mission is too important to let personal feelings get in the way. Your orders, Data, are to get that shield down by whatever means are necessary, no matter what the sacrifice. You understand?"

"Yes sir," Data said. "And let me assure you, my feelings for either of them will have no effect on what I will do."

Han slipped past the two men sitting in the navigation chairs, and took his seat. Chewie was already completing the flight check; Han checked communications with the gunners in the dorsal and ventral positions. For probably the first time in a decade, the ship was fully manned. Who'd have thought? "Pre-flight checklist?" Chewie acknowledged, and Han fired up the engines, easing the ship out of the docking bay and into the atmosphere, heading for space to join the rest of the fleet.

As the sky slowly changed from blue to black, he saw them all. A huge mass of Federation vessels stood in position, taking their lead behind the Overlord. On the far left flank he saw the beautiful Mon Calamari Star Cruisers - ships that had been converted from luxury liners to weapons of destruction. On the opposite flank were the large Romulan warships, the D'deridex if Han remembered correctly. Interspersed between were the other various cap ships: the Corvettes, the Galors, the Keldons, the modified Transports, the Frigates; all primed and ready for the attack. Encircling the group was a collection of fighters and T'lix ships, as well as the Defiants. Han pulled into formation.

"Ship coming out of hyperspace," said one of the officers behind Han. "It's the Enterprise."

"Let's hope they got there all right," Han said, a twinge of worry in his voice.

"Enterprise confirms that they were delivered to the rendezvous," he replied.

"See," Han said to Chewie, "no problem. I told you there was nothing to worry about."

The ramp lowered, and Luke, Leia, and Data walked off the shuttle. The Rebel operatives had provided the necessary notification to get them through security without a problem, and they slipped into the station itself. They'd chosen an area of the Death Star with little traffic in the hopes of better avoiding detection. Data led the way, Luke and Leia looking about apprehensively; neither had had a pleasant experience on the previous Death Star. "How much time?" Leia asked.

"Sufficient time," Data said. His emotion chip was off, but there was still just the slightest hint of a smile on his lips. "Don't worry. Everything's going exactly as planned."

Picard was tossed into his cell, stumbling and hitting the floor hard. He deserved it. For ten hours he'd been forced to sit and watch them torture Seven, and he could have ended it any time with just a few words. But he couldn't, he knew he couldn't, but the sight of her, the pleas... he hated himself for it. She'd probably despise him now, despite what she said; he'd forced her to endure this. He hoped he hadn't destroyed her chance to fully reclaim her humanity.

Picard pulled himself up; Q was sitting on the bunk. "How was your day?" he asked.

"This really is a bad time," Picard said, sitting across from him. Q's smile somehow managed to make him feel even more miserable.

"Oh come, come, Picard, I’m here to cheer you up. You stood up for your convictions, and you should feel proud of yourself. Of course, your buxom Borg friend seems to have a different view on the subject..."

"Go away Q," Picard muttered, but there was no enthusiasm to it.

"Now now, don't be so glum," Q said, rising to his feet. "You did the right thing. If you had given away the location of the base the Empire would have wiped them out and your efforts would be for nothing, and the Federation would be destroyed. Of course, you haven't exactly prevented that either, but at least you managed to not be a contributing cause. That is a moral victory, isn't it?"

"Hardly feels like a moral victory," Picard said under his breath.

"Yes, the drone felt the same way when I spoke with her just now."

Picard wasn't sure if he should, but asked anyway. "How is Seven?"

Q tapped his lips as he paced. "Well, let me see..." And an image of Seven appeared on the cot, curled up, crying pitiably. "No, I don't think that qualifies as taking it well."

Picard's stomach tightened into a knot at the sight. "Take her away, please." Q snapped his fingers. "All we want is to be left alone," he said quietly.

"Now that's what you want," Q said. "You changed your mind, now that you know what you've gotten yourself into." He took his seat again. "But I'm not without some mercy."

Picard looked up at him, too suspicious to even hope. "What kind of mercy?"

"I'm omnipotent, Picard," Q said. "Your problems are child's play to me. I can destroy every Imperial ship and kill every single Imperial within the alpha quadrant, right now. Every last one, even the Emperor. Of course, with you and your arm candy officer on board, you'd both die too... but I'll even spare your life, Picard. That leaves just one friendly casualty, in exchange for winning this war in one moment."

"You are perverse," Picard said darkly.

"Moi?" Q said with indignation. "You'll subject Seven to endless torture sessions to aid in a futile effort at resistance, but to have her die a quick and painless death to end the war is perverse?"

"I'm not responsible for what the Imperials do to her!"

"You kept your mouth shut because you know that to spare her pain is to lose this war," Q said with accusation. "You can rationalize it away if you like, Picard, but her every moment of agony was borne in you!" Picard's jaw trembled with the pent up fury of the day, but there was nothing to say, because he couldn't deny the truth. He'd let Seven suffer... and as much as it killed him, he'd keep doing it, because it was what he had to do. "I'm offering another way, Picard," Q said finally. "A snap of my fingers, and this war ends right now. All you have to do is ask."

"Ask to kill my friend," Picard said with a shake of his head.

"Do you know what Col. Jarls has planned?" Q asked. "He's seen that subtle methods don't work on you, so he's going to try something a bit more... brutal." He leaned down and whispered in Picard's ear. "Next time he'll resort to permanent damage to your young friend. I'm afraid the IZ-3 droid is quite nasty with a scalpel."

"I can't murder one of my officers," Picard said finally. "I can't!"

Q sighed heavily. "All right, fine, I will spare her. I forgot how much you enjoy watching her Borg spheres bounce around your bridge," he added under his breath. "Another person then, one you've never met. Luke Skywalker."

"Him?" Why did this man's name keep popping up? "Why him?"

"Why not him?" Q asked. "Is there someone else you'd rather kill? You have no emotion invested in this individual, Picard. It's simple numbers; I'll kill all your enemies here in exchange for the life of one stranger. This is not a hypothetical, this is a promise. All for just one. All you have to do... is ask."

Despite himself, Picard had to admit he was sorely tempted. Defeating the Empire seemed an impossible task, and with the power of the Death Star and the persistence of the Emperor, he couldn't see any path to victory. But killing an innocent man to do it, that was-

Was against his human convictions.

"No, Q," Picard said. "I won't ask. Your offer is rejected."

Q smiled and nodded with approval. "Good work, Picard. You've stared Mephistopheles in the face and refused his offer... I told them you would."

"So we have passed then?"

"You haven't yet failed," Q said. "If you would have agreed I would have done it, but the consequences in time would have been horrendous. You'd have only delayed judgment, Picard, and then humanity would have been wiped out. Your convictions have bought you some time to solve this problem, and I'll offer you what I hope will be some comfort: you have made all the right choices for humanity to survive... you’ve passed. However, you are not the embodiment of your species. Two others also must make the right choices..."

Picard was surprised to hear his own voice speaking. "You are a very noble individual." "That she can so easily forgive tells me there's a better person than I under all that Borg-induced fear." "I told her that if anyone can find a weakness in its defenses, it was you two. You are the best."

And then Picard remembered Q's "final exam" question: Do the best lack all conviction? "You're testing Seven and Data as well," he said quietly.

"Why not?" Q said. "After all, you've worked so hard to impress your human convictions on them. Why don't we see how well they stick?"

Picard looked up with concern. "You said you spoke with Seven?"

Q offered a very unpleasant smile. "Oh yes.... She accepted Old Scratch's offer."

Picard was on his feet and grabbed Q's shirtfront. "What did you do?!" he demanded, the strain finally getting to him.

"I gave her what you refused," Q said, his voice full of accusation. "I gave her a way to escape the pain."

"You took advantage of her!" Picard roared. "She was pushed beyond all human limits-"

"If your convictions can only hold up at the best of times, then what good are they, Picard?"

"She's just a-"

"Just a what?" Q demanded. "Just because you like to think of her like a daughter doesn't make her a little girl, Picard. She was out assimilating species without you holding her hand."

"You had no right!"

Q had a look of annoyance, and Picard was seated back on his cot. "I told you, I have every right in my court, and that's what this is, Picard. We'll see how well all your talk has paid off, how well they listened to everything you droned on and on about. Your odds aren't very good, Jean-luc: One has thrown in with the Empire, and the other has rejected her humanity." He shook his head pitiably. "But it's out of our hands now; we're just left to watch and let things play out. Will they follow human convictions, or will they doom your species to subjugation or extinction? The moment is at hand, Jean-luc. One wrong choice, just one... and your world meets its end."
Chuck

Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sonnenburg wrote:Q sighed heavily. "All right, fine, I will spare her. I forgot how much you enjoy watching her Borg spheres bounce around your bridge," he added under his breath.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Have I told you that I love your dialogue?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Really, re-reading this stuff is fun, and you can find some interesting bits. Course, funny to think about that oversized hunk of metal and Janeway. And Q is always a fun read.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

You write Q really really well.

I've seen too many fanfics where people simply don't have a clue and either use him as a Deus Ex Machina. You however have him almost as...well...you for lack of a better word, someone who knows how it all ends and what is going on...but can be used to drop subtle hints here and there and even alter the plot onto the right path.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Trogdor wrote:
Sonnenburg wrote:Q sighed heavily. "All right, fine, I will spare her. I forgot how much you enjoy watching her Borg spheres bounce around your bridge," he added under his breath.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Have I told you that I love your dialogue?
Ghost Rider wrote:Really, re-reading this stuff is fun, and you can find some interesting bits. Course, funny to think about that oversized hunk of metal and Janeway. And Q is always a fun read.
Q is such a great outlet for my id. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Chris OFarrell wrote:You write Q really really well.

I've seen too many fanfics where people simply don't have a clue and either use him as a Deus Ex Machina. You however have him almost as...well...you for lack of a better word, someone who knows how it all ends and what is going on...but can be used to drop subtle hints here and there and even alter the plot onto the right path.
Thank you. I have a theory on Q (which I think has shown throughout this story especially) that everything's he's done has actually been part of a test. You might say "duh!" but I mean everything (with the possible exception of Robin Hood, which was rather silly for a test, even by Q standards). As Picard mentioned back in XII, he'd been arrogant about how evolved people were, and the next time Q shows up he brings the Borg and watches how the evolved humans react. So, I think Q's at his best in the way you mention, making changes to observe how people react, offering information to tweak things to see how they respond. For Q to interfere in the results of the test would be counterproductive. After all, he's at his best when he's holding people accountable, even when they are placed in an impossible situation. In Q's court, being powerless isn't an excuse (I suppose this was a perfect example of that, actually. On the one hand, he congratulates Picard for standing up for his convictions, and yet, he won't let him off the hook for what he did to Seven... it doesn't matter that he had to, he's no less guilty of letting her suffer.).
Chuck

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Very cool. I like these new additions.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Dalton wrote:Very cool. I like these new additions.
Thanks! It's been a lot of fun.
Chuck

Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

And we're down to a single chapter of this left. Joining the chorus, I'll say great job with Q.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I haven't got very far reading the rewrite but I've still got a question, How does Q's role in this Story: This is a test of Humanity! Link up with the DoF's Prologue and the whole This is a game for the gods! bit?
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:I haven't got very far reading the rewrite but I've still got a question, How does Q's role in this Story: This is a test of Humanity! Link up with the DoF's Prologue and the whole This is a game for the gods! bit?
Today's chapter may shed a bit more light on it. There is a connection, but I don't want to give anything away just yet. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XL

Admiral Riklin took a seat on the bridge of his flagship and looked out at the mass of ships. Romulan, Federation, Cardassian, Rebel, and dozens of others from minor powers throughout the quadrant... and he was in command. Romulan arrogance was well known, but even he felt a little overwhelmed with the responsibility of what was about to happen. The future of perhaps the entire galaxy would likely turn on what this fleet did. Success... and the Empire's alliances would likely fall. Failure, and there would be absolutely no one left to stop them.

"Open a channel to the fleet," he said. The comm officer nodded to him. "This is Admiral Riklin. I don't have to tell you that this will not be an easy victory... we go against a power that dwarfs anything that any of us have ever encountered. But today is the day that decides the future. Will we live as Imperial slaves, or will we resist... will we allow them to subjugate us, or will we send them running back to that wormhole with their tail between their legs." He wet his lips. "I don't know about you, but I'm planning to do the latter. Follow your orders, stand your ground, and I believe this will be a day spoken of for centuries to come, when former enemies stood side by side and pushed back evil itself." He looked at the fleet through the viewer one last time. "All ships jump to hyperspace. We've a battlestation to destroy."

Darth Vader watched the monitor as the trio walked through the Death Star corridors. His new apprentice –Data– along with his twin children... it had been a surprise when Data revealed the identity of the second Jedi, and an examination of Imperial genetic records revealed the rest. It explained a great deal, in fact.

His son and his daughter... Darth Vader's thoughts drifted back to Cloud City, when Luke chose death rather than be with his own father. It should enrage him, but the only thing he felt was sorrow. Like his revelation about his own restoration, he saw the cracks in his own commitment to the Dark side; a true Sith would take the refusal as a personal betrayal and destroyed him in anger. But... all he wanted was to turn them... all he wanted was for them to be with him. While they lived, there was a chance he could convince them to recognize what the Dark side could offer them. Hopefully Data would live up to Vader's expectations... he hadn't lied to him, he was a magnificent android. But could he do it? If he failed, then the Emperor would have them eliminated, and his chance would be lost.

Darth Vader left the monitor; the Emperor wanted him close at hand, in case something went wrong with the plan. He hoped that wouldn't be necessary. He could turn them... he just needed time...

7 of 9 waited quietly in her cell as she heard the approaching footsteps in the corridor. So, she thought, they'd returned to resume her sessions. The door opened and the guard stepped in, his weapon holstered while two troopers watched her. The guard had her follow the same directions as before, but they were never designed for someone with her strength and build. While she was kneeling he took hold of her hand to snap the binders on. Instead she grabbed his wrist and flipped him over her, immediately rolling over and after him, dislocating his shoulder badly. It wouldn't matter; the troopers put two blaster bolts into his back trying to shoot her. She hefted him up as a human shield and charged them, knocking one over with the corpse while she grabbed onto the other. The plastoid armor was a serious boundary, but they were only as strong as their joints. 7 of 9 broke his elbow and twisted the limb until he dropped the blaster rifle. She slammed him into the other one before the prone trooper could get a shot off, scooped up the rifle, and finished them both off.

The fighting had naturally alerted the guards further down in the detention block control room. She grabbed the guard's helmet and threw it; the sound of weapons fire was heard as it sailed across the corridor and struck the panel on the outside of the cell. The door opened revealing a Cardassian, eyeing her suspiciously. 7 of 9 held up the second blaster rifle; "If you wish to escape you must assist me." It took little to convince the Cardassian, and he caught the weapon as it sailed across the open corridor. The two began working their way down the corridor towards the detention block control room, each providing cover fire for the other. There was no reason to open the other cells; without weapons they'd only be potential victims for the stormtroopers. The Cardassian, however, failed to recognize this, and began opening doors as they went along. Chaos soon descended as blaster bolts began lighting up the dark corridor and prisoners wandered into them accidentally. 7 of 9 jumped from cell to cell, firing her weapon and trying to present as small a target profile as possible. Reinforcements would be coming soon, she knew, and she needed to find a way out of this room fast. She continued to fire, and the area filled with smoke from all the weapons fire.

Then the Cardassian made the foolish mistake of organizing a massive charge of the freed prisoners, hoping to overwhelm the troopers by sheer force of numbers. Most of them never even made it to the end of the hall, but those who did leaped at the stormtroopers and began fighting them in brutal hand to hand combat. 7 of 9 ran past them to check the turbolift. As expected, it was approaching, no doubt with reinforcements. She switched over to automatic and waited. The doors opened and there stood six stormtroopers. Before they even had a chance to point their weapons at her, she fired, killing them in the space of a few heartbeats.

With that settled and the remaining stormtroopers engaged she quickly turned to the logs; Captain Picard wasn't in this block. She began flipping through the security feeds to see if any more reinforcements were coming her way. There was a flagged security item; she accessed it and was surprised. A deliberate security compromise was allowed for a small group of Rebels; they were not to be engaged by order of the Emperor himself. 7 of 9 considered; if the Alliance was logical, they would send Luke Skywalker, who had experience in defeating Death Star security. If so, he could be a phenomenal asset. She noted his approximate position, then turned back to the open turbolift, kicking a cadaver out of the way. She snatched up one of the stormtrooper's utility belts and tightened it around her narrow waist, then proceeded as quickly as possible to the upper levels.

Picard was pushed out of the turbolift, and again into the Emperor's throne room. He saw that this time they weren't going to be alone; Darth Vader himself was present at this meeting, along with another woman. She had that same aura of darkness about her, and regarded him as a speck beneath her concern. The Emperor's guards escorted him forward until he stood before them, his wrists once again bound before him - as if he could attack the trio single-handedly with the guards meters away. The Emperor turned to him with a stomach-turning grin. "I thought I'd share this with you," he said, then activated a switch on his throne. The display nearby lit up and showed Luke Skywalker and the other Rebel from the prison break, being led through the Death Star by Data. "As I said," the Emperor said with oily tones, "everything is going as planned."

Picard's stomach tightened at the sight of Data, and he trembled slightly, but he refused to give the Emperor the satisfaction. "And did your plan include me refusing your offer, and resisting your barbaric torment of one of my officers? Or did that slip through your precognition? Did you fail to shake up your chicken bones properly or misread your tea leaves?"

The Emperor chuckled. "Your bravado is transparent to us, Picard. We see your fear. All too soon, the Alliance fleet will arrive, and your hopes will end. You have no chance to resist my Empire."

"So this is all some petty attempt to gloat?" Picard said. "I really thought you would be above that sort of thing. Thank you for showing my low expectations aren't low enough."

"No, Picard," the Emperor said. "This is a final chance to see reason. Before long you will witness the annihilation of the Alliance fleet, including your beloved Enterprise. After that, Data is going to take you and that Borg girl into the interrogation room, and you will watch your friend torture her to death. After that, he'll do the same to you. There is only one thing that will prevent this fate." The Emperor stared at him with steel in his eyes. "There are more conspirators in the Federation that have not defected. You will provide those names to me, in full. If not, then your future will be very short and unpleasant."

"Why wait?" the woman asked. "I say we bring the Borg in right now and warm things up... a little background music." She grinned as Picard fumed at her. "Her screams made such beautiful music... don't you think, captain?" Picard tried to haymaker her with his hands in the binders, but she ducked and punched him so hard in the solar plexus that he collapsed.

"Enough," the Emperor said sternly as Picard coughed on the floor. "You will be silent, Darth Whind, unless I give you leave to speak."

Whind nodded. "I apologize, my master."

Vader bent down and grabbed Picard by the back of the neck with one hand and pulled him back onto his feet. He was fighting for breath, but stared at the Emperor with hate. "I'll tell you nothing," he rasped.

"We'll see," the Emperor said, turning his throne to gaze out the window. "Perhaps the next few hours will change your mind."

"Ten minutes," Leia said, looking at her chronometer.

"Is that enough time?" Luke asked Data as they caught up with him.

"Certainly," Data replied. "Everything is almost ready. I do however, need to make a slight modification," he said, stopping in his tracks. Luke and Leia continued a few steps out of momentum, and looked back at the android, who jerked his head.

And that was when Luke felt Data. It was the first time he felt the emotions of an android and their effect on the Force. It was quite a disconcerting thing, especially considering what he felt: pure hatred. Data grinned at Luke and Leia and snickered. "Yes indeed," Data said slowly, "everything is going exactly as planned. I'm sure your father will be very pleased." He smiled at them, the menace clearly shown on his golden face. "The time for your rebellion," he sneered, "is at an end." He reached down and pulled a long thin object from beneath his uniform. He held it up before him and watched the glowing red beam emerge. His eyes flicked up to them, and his dark smile widened. "Your father would prefer I take you intact," he said with a wave of the lightsaber, "but I'm sure we can repair any damage if you resist."

Luke and Leia pulled their lightsabers and stood ready, facing against Data as he held his blade towards them in a threatening manner. "This is a mistake Data," Luke said, trying to think. "You've got to understand who you're dealing with here. Whatever the Empire promised you isn't worth it."

"Spare me," Data said with a sneer. "I know everything you're going to say and you're wasting your human breath."

"There's still time," Leia said quickly. "You can help us deactivate the shield before the fleet arrives."

Data laughed, waving his saber tip in the air. "You humans can be incredibly stupid some times. Do you think that weapon actually works? I just created an interesting picture and lots of technobabble and everyone assumed it would work. Well, I'm afraid that the hypermatter disrupting torpedo will do nothing to this station in the end, even if the shield was down."

"Then you've betrayed us all," Leia replied, controlling her anger.

"Yes," Data said nastily, "well, I leaned the lessons of humanity well."

The fleet flew through hyperspace at speeds that were impossible by any conventional physics. Vast distances were covered in the blink of an eye as they headed towards the monstrous Death Star, and hopefully would be coming back from again. It was a gamble; on the Millennium Falcon, a man with all too much experience in gambling sat at the controls, waiting. "Stand by the sub-light engines," Han told Chewie. The computer completed the countdown and the freighter dropped out of hyperspace, followed by hundreds of others Alliance ships. Han tried to ignore the knot in his stomach as the battlestation filled the view before him for the third time in his life.

"It's big," he muttered, watching the station continue to grow as they approached. "The shield down?"

"Negative, sir," one of the crewmen replied from behind him.

"Well, let's hope that, for once, things go, according to plan." Chewie growled something in reply. "I know, I know," he said. "Jedi knights. I just hope they and Data work well together."

Data brought his blade around and prepared to attack. Luke and Leia were trained Jedi, with the Force as their ally; but Data brought in android strength, speed, and reflexes, not to mention the most powerful computer brain in the Federation. With their Jedi instincts they could protect themselves, but that was precisely the problem: they were instincts. Data, on the other hand, was carefully observing, calculating, adapting. It would not be an easy fight.

Data rushed the Jedi with great speed, lightsaber flashing between them. Even with their Force-enhanced reflexes, the two were barely able to stop the flashing blade; his saber hand was blurred, he was swinging so fast. Again and again he would strike, leaving no time for the Jedi to counterstrike before the next assault began. Leia and Luke stepped away from each other, hoping to make the attacks more difficult. Data, recognizing Luke as the more experienced, continued in a furious display, one strike coming after another. Leia attacked from behind, hoping to catch Data while he was distracted. Unfortunately, it was exactly as he had planned. He bent at an impossible angle as her blade traveled harmlessly over his body. He drew up and straightened his leg, driving his heel into her sternum. The strength was so great she was lifted off her feet and landed several meters away, unconscious.

In many ways this made Luke's work easier; he had more experience fighting alone against an adversary, since he didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting his partner or being hit himself. Their blades danced together as Data's furious onslaught continued. The android had no Force ability, but had spent many, many hours mastering fencing and swordfighting techniques. His advantage was his speed; Luke could only react to Data, never attack. Eventually, Data knew, the Jedi would wear down, would become sloppy as his frail human form demanded rest; but Data would continue. Data was a machine... he was superior. Victory was assured.

Luke tried to find a way to break the stalemate. It was difficult; almost his whole being was focused on stopping the inhumanly fast attacks. One thing Luke noticed was the android fought with a one-handed fighting style; considering the lack of any real weight to the lightsaber blade and the android's strength, it was quite effective, allowing quick movements of the blade. The minutes passed like hours as the weapons clashed. Luke decided that if there was to be any chance for success, he'd have to take a very dangerous risk. If he failed, he and Leia would both die, along with the rest of the Alliance that had been lured into the trap. But at the moment, a desperate chance seemed their only option.

7 of 9 blasted down the squad of stormtroopers that were near the intersection; they'd been watching the battle rather than paying attention, and paid the price. She looked around the corner; yes, it was Skywalker all right. With his skills he could easily help her retrieve Picard and get off this station-

She paused, surprised at the sight of Skywalker's enemy. So, Data was here as well, and showing his true colors. 7 of 9 put the blaster rifle to her shoulder and sighted down it. One pull of the trigger would take care of that.

The rifle trembled slightly in her grip and she closed her eyes and tried again. "He's a traitor," 7 of 9 said. "He's betrayed the Federation... he betrayed me." She sighted down the rifle. "He deserves to die for what he's done. He's a murderer!"

A choke slipped out of her throat. Seven lowered the blaster rifle. "But I'm not," she said.

He's your enemy! a voice said in her mind.

"There's another way," Seven said aloud. "He's obviously shut down or deleted his ethical program; I can restore it with the copy in my engram."

The Doctor's ethical program? It's for holograms, not androids!

"Irrelevant," Seven said, slinging the rifle over her shoulder and marching towards him. "Ethics tells us right from wrong. Data merely needs to be reminded of what they are."

Luke waited for the opportunity with patience, and then it came. Data attempted two thrusting motions, which Luke quickly blocked; Data followed it up with a low swipe towards Luke's legs. The blade passed through air as Luke somersaulted backwards almost four meters. Data charged him and swung a deadly sweeping arc, but as fast as he was, crossing the distance still took time. Instead of blocking the blow as before, he sidestepped it and brought his blade down, slicing through the android's arm. Hand and weapon flew across the corridor in a grisly demonstration of physics.

Having disarmed the android, Luke let his guard down for a fraction of a second. It was all Data needed. He swatted the blade out of Luke's hand with his stump, grabbing the Jedi's throat and squeezing. Luke used the Force to try to resist the pressure, providing a counter to the inhuman grip, but it was only a temporary solution. He could already feel the lightheadedness coming, and tried to focus on the blade at the same time, but his mind was unable to focus on both in its current state. Data's face became a twisted sneer as he applied still more pressure.

Suddenly he lost grip, a look of shock on his face. As Luke stumbled back, he was equally shocked to see Seven of Nine. Her left hand had extended two tubes into the side of Data's head. Data's face was a mass of unbridled hatred, and his limbs jerked slightly. Her eyes were closed tightly, her face contorted in concentration.

Through gritted teeth, Data spoke. "One." A few seconds passed, and again he spoke. "One." A pause. "Zero." He struggled, his limbs now shaking violently. "One," he squeaked through his gritted teeth.

"Resistance," Seven replied through her own gritted teeth, "is futile."

"Zero...One...Zero Zero....OneZeroOneOne..... onezerozerozerooneonezerozeroonezerooneonezerooneoneonezerozeroonezero...." His movements became less shaky and Luke stared, transfixed as the process continued. "1001110010101110100100010101000111100100011100101010010100," Data's voice was the audio equivalent of a blur. Finally the words stopped, but Luke could see his eyes moving rapidly beneath the lids, gyrating violently back and forth. Suddenly his eyes opened wide. "Thank you, lieutenant."

Seven withdrew her tubules from his skull and they disappeared back into her hand. She nodded, then slapped Data across the face. "You lied to me," she said, pain in her tone.

Data nodded, and Luke could feel Data's emotions shifting and becoming more intense. "I did," he said, his voice saturated with grief. He swallowed, then jerked his head, and the emotions stopped. "I am sorry, Seven. I'm so very sorry." He looked around and saw Luke as if for the first time. "Commander Skywalker," he said, "this is Lieutenant Seven of Nine. She's a friend."

Luke nodded to her. "Nice to finally meet you in person," he said.

Seven's mouth opened. "Indeed," she said finally. "How is your colleague?"

Luke wanted to smack himself; how could he have forgotten? He turned around and helped Leia up; she seemed to have recovered rather well. When her eyes fluttered open Leia looked between Data and Luke, then to Seven. "I assume I missed something."

"Commander," Data said with anxiousness, "I suggest we get away from this place right now. The Emperor knows we're here, and may be sending stormtroopers to deal with us."

"He already has," Seven said. "But I'm sure there will be more."

"You all right to move?" Luke asked Leia as she got to her feet.

Leia nodded. "If there are troopers coming I'll fly if necessary."

"I told you he would not cooperate," the Emperor chided Vader.

"He would have succeeded in defeating them had it not been for the lapse in security," Vader replied. "The men will need to be disciplined."

"I'm sure they'll find it highly motivating," Picard said, a smile on his face. He knew, in the end, that Data and Seven would do good by humanity.

"The Jedi must be dealt with," the Emperor said, ignoring Picard.

"I will see to it," Vader said.

"Bring Lord Whind with you," the Emperor said. Despite the mask it was obvious Vader didn't appreciate being saddled with the woman, but he said nothing, and the two departed.

"It seems your knowledge of the future is not as complete as you'd like to pretend," Picard gloated.

"My patience with you grows thin, Picard," the Emperor rumbled. "The fate of a galaxy does not turn on the loyalties of one pathetic android. Your fleet will still be lost, your pitiful attempt at revolt squashed. You've won nothing, Picard... except the chance to witness another of your officers suffer at my command."

"The shield is still up," Lt. Travis said as the Enterprise approached the Death Star.

"Hopefully they're just a little delayed," Riker said.

"Orders from the Admiral," Laforge said. "We're to remain for now, but set our sensors on maximum scan. If reinforcements arrive we bug out."

"Evasive pattern Riker One," Riker ordered, in case the turbolasers on the surface began firing. "Keep an eye out for any power build ups in the Death Star, Lieutenant. We'll want to know if they're going to hyperspace."

"Understood sir," Lt. Travis replied.

"Come on Data," Riker whispered, "work some of that android magic."

"Sir," Laforge said, "I'm not sure what this is, but we've got some kind of disturbance in a nearby nebula."

"What kind of disturbance?" Riker asked, turning around.

He continued to check the readings. "I'm not sure, captain, I've never seen anything quite like it. It's like some kind of plasma storm."

"Could it be approaching vessels?" Riker asked quickly.

"I.... don't think so sir. It appears to be just a violent energy surge, nothing more," Laforge said. "Sorry sir, false alarm."

"I'd prefer to err on the side of caution," Riker said dismissing the apology. "Any word yet on-"

He never finished the remark. Lt. Travis' discipline vanished for a moment as he read the instruments with disbelieving eyes. "SIR!" he cried, "ships just dropped out of hyperspace!"

"What?!" Riker asked in shock. They should have detected them long before they arrived.

"Over eighty capital ships," Travis said, "and they're launching fighters."

"They've set up an interdiction field," said Laforge with disappointment. "We're not going anywhere now."

Riker felt his mouth go dry as he saw the approaching vessels on the screen. They knew the fleet was coming... somehow they'd set a trap. "Prepare to engage," he said. "If they want to take the Alliance down, they better be ready to pay to do it."

"Watch, Picard," the Emperor said with a twisted grin on his evil face. "The end of your insignificant alliance... the end of the Enterprise. We could have avoided this, but you refused to accept the obvious. I think it only appropriate that you watch them die."

"You seem awfully confident," Picard replied coolly, ignoring the knot in his stomach. "Have you been gazing into your crystal ball again?"

The Emperor glared at him. "You mock that which your feeble mind cannot understand, Picard. Perhaps I'll keep you alive after all... let you serve as an example to others."

"Your threats are wasted, your Excellency," Picard replied. "I too can see the future, and I see a pitiful little man who is standing at the end of a world of his own creation, watching it unravel before him." He flew across the room as energy coursed through his body, forcing him to convulse and overwhelming him with pain. He looked up at the Emperor, now at least five meters away.

"I have conquered a galaxy, Picard," his voice no longer having a trace of humor. "Your little corner of this one is no threat to me. You are all already mine." The guards yanked Picard back to his feet and returned to his place by the Emperor. He watched the battle begin on the display, and hoped with all his heart that the Emperor would be wrong. "The Death Star is called a battlestation for a reason, Picard," the Emperor said, then flipped another switch on his throne. "Commander," he said in a loud voice, "fire at will."

The Me'ryrit had been one of the most renowned ships in the Romulan fleet. One of the large D'deridex-class ships, it had played a prominent part in the Dominion War, holding off a Jem'hadar assault force for over an hour until reinforcements arrived. It was not so much a ship as a symbol, the representative of Romulan power in space. The Voyager crewed watched in disbelief as the ship exploded with one blast.

"Where did that come from?" Janeway demanded.

"The origin of the weapon was the Death Star," Lt. Tuvok replied.

"Their turbolasers can't be that powerful," Chakotay replied, "Not enough to destroy the Me'ryrit in one shot."

"I don't think it was a turbolaser," Kim replied. "I've seen these readings before."

Janeway turned to him. "Is it-?"

Harry finished checking his instruments. "It's the main weapon," he confirmed. "And I don't think there's a ship built that can withstand it."

"Is the Interdiction field still up?" Janeway asked quickly.

Tuvok checked the scanners. "Confirmed," he replies. "Interdiction field still active."

"Like sheep to the slaughter," Chakotay said. "We can't resist and we can't run away; we just have to sit and wait until it's our turn."

"I'm not prepared to do that just yet," Janeway replied, setting her jaw. "Evasive course, Mr. Paris. Don't give them a clean shot at us." She paused. "I'm afraid our lives are in your hands."

"Thanks," he said. "I suppose this would be a bad time to tell you I don't work well under pressure."

"Don't think of it as pressure," she replied, "think of it as force over area."

The Intrepid-class ship twisted through space, firing randomly at passing Imperial ships. A few minutes later, they watched as the Death Star fired again, destroying yet another ship, and sealing the fate of the Alliance.

Han gripped the controls as he chased another TIE fighter through the maelstrom of battle. It twisted this way and that, trying to shake the pursuing freighter. But there was no chance of outmaneuvering the Falcon, and one of the quads pierced the ship's cockpit, causing it to erupt into a massive fireball. The freighter swung back to find another target amid the endless battles. They weaved through the much larger vessels who also were exchanging fire.

"Any word on that shield?" Han asked quickly.

"Negative, sir," the crewman replied. Another TIE exploded in the sights of one of the quads.

Han watched as one of the Cardassian vessels exploded nearby, and turned the ship away from it. "Something better happen soon," he mumbled, "or this Alliance is ending real quick."
Chuck