Best piece of music in LotR trilogy?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Best piece of music in LotR trilogy?

Post by Vympel »

Just been playing Battle for Middle Earth 2 (when not playing Galactic Civilizations II or Oblivion) and of course, they use the music from the films to good effect.

Personally, my favorite is the Fields of Pelennor.

Coming second is the music as the credits start in The Two Towers- Gollum's Song. I don't care for the lyrics, but combined with the final shot of Mordor, it was pretty cool.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I'm torn between Ride of the Rohirrim and Hobbiton. Oh, and the chorus voices during the Nazgul scenes.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

The Gondor theme for me, which is different from the Minas Tirith theme.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Home is behind, the world ahead and there are many paths to tread,

I love it.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

LOTR the TT: The Uruk-Hai
The Fields of the Pelennor
below that:
ROTK: The Fields of the Pelennor, The Fields of the Pelennor.
A few dozen others also, but those are the 5/4 stars in my book/iPod.
Now im listening to them, you made me break the honour promise :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

My favorite piece isn't on the RotK soundtrack. It's played after the Ring is destroyed and Strider and Gandalf and all of them are celebrating after watching Barad-dur fall, and then Mount Doom explodes. It's a more fleshed out version of the of "The Bridge of Khazad-dum", and I find it a very moving piece.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Darkdrium
Padawan Learner

Post by Darkdrium »

You sure it's not The End of All Things?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

"The Passing of the Elves" from the extended cut of The Fellowship of the Ring where Frodo and Sam see the Elves on their march to the West.

Second is "May it Be," for the ending credits of the first film, by Enya.

"Gollum's Song" kind of bugs me, if only because I know they went through this on-again off-again agreement with Bjork due to ever-conflicting schedules, and in the end were finally forced to use a sound-alike when she ended up being ocmpletely unavailable. So it's kind of hard to listen to when I know that it could have been much, much better.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Darkdrium wrote:You sure it's not The End of All Things?
Ah yes. The solo at the end of the piece, where Gwaihir, Meneldor and Landroval pick up Frodo and Sam, is hauntingly beautiful.

"The Passing of the Elves" choir in the DVD is actually singing O Elbereth Gilthoniel. You can hear it quite clearly.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

If it was on the soundtrack the it would be the remixed version fo the Requiem FOr a Dream theme that was used for TTT trailer.

Since it isn't i'll have to go with The White Tree, which has a nice build up the goes full on into the Gondor theme. IIRC it was used for the sequence with the lighting of the beacons.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Darkdrium wrote:You sure it's not The End of All Things?
"The End of All Things" is an abbreviated version of the actual soundtrack from those scenes. It has the fall of the Dark Tower, and then cuts to the Eagles rescuing Sam and Frodo, totally skipping the part I love the most.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
TheBlackCat
Padawan Learner

Post by TheBlackCat »

I prefer the latter part of "The Rider's of Rohan".
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
-Richard Dawkins
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Question: Was that really Pippin singing the ballad?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote:Question: Was that really Pippin singing the ballad?
the one he sings to the Steward of Gondor? Yeah it was the actor himself singing.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

The Bridge of Khazad-Dum, followed by The Ride of the Rohirrim.

In the bridge scene, there is very little dialogue, so music will be the primary conveyor of emotion. When you're worried whether Frodo will fall down into the chasm seeing the movie for the fifth time, you know the composer did his job.
Last edited by General Soontir Fel on 2006-03-29 09:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
Korvan
Jedi Master

Post by Korvan »

Forget it's name, but I really liked the song that played during the lighting of the beacons. One of my favourite scenes in the trilogy. For some strange reason, gollum's song at the end of TT reminds me of a James Bond theme and I keep picturing Gollum crooning away while wearing a slinky dress.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

The Breaking of the Fellowship

It is so sad but yet so good.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The Bridge of Khazad-Dum all the way for me.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I really like the Gondor theme; it evokes the lighting of the beacons, which still gives me chills just thinking about it. And, so help me, I also like the Fellowship theme. Rounding out my top three is the rewrite of the Lothlorien theme into a march when the elves march up into Helm's Deep.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Indeed, the Gondor theme/The White Tree are definately my favorites of the saga, for their sheer majesty. Kazad-Dum is also quite awesome, and I'm partial to Into the West.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

A Journey in the Dark is pretty awesome. What I really want is a complete edition of the soundtracks, like what was done with Star Wars. Make 'em three discs long if you have to, just give me all the music from the movies in order.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

DesertFly wrote:A Journey in the Dark is pretty awesome. What I really want is a complete edition of the soundtracks, like what was done with Star Wars. Make 'em three discs long if you have to, just give me all the music from the movies in order.
Actually, I think they're doing that. I saw a new soundtrack for FotR in a music store that looked to be a good CDs long over the winter.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Noble Ire wrote:
DesertFly wrote:What I really want is a complete edition of the soundtracks, like what was done with Star Wars. Make 'em three discs long if you have to, just give me all the music from the movies in order.
Actually, I think they're doing that.
Yes, they are.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

JME2 wrote:The Bridge of Khazad-Dum all the way for me.
Same here. Wasn't that the one where Howard Shore brought in some football players to chant the dwarven verses?

I also like Forth Eorlingas from The Two Towers, and the altered "Fellowship Theme" from Return of the King, the one where the westerners charge the orcs at the black gate, where the choir is chanting over the usual Fellowship Theme. I also enjoyed The Black Gate Opens.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Lord Revan wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Question: Was that really Pippin singing the ballad?
the one he sings to the Steward of Gondor? Yeah it was the actor himself singing.
His voice is just simply amazing, if you ask me. Lots of emotion coming through.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.