15 Greatest Guitar solos..

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

theski
Sith Marauder

15 Greatest Guitar solos..

Post by theski »

1.song: Stairway to Heaven
guitarist: Jimmy Page

2.song: Eruption
guitarist: Eddie Van Halen

3.song: Freebird
guitarist: Collins/Rossington

4.song: Comfortably Numb
guitarist: David Gilmour

5.song: All Along the Watchtower
guitarist: Jimi Hendrix

6.song: November Rain
guitarist: Slash

7.song: One
guitarist: Kirk Hammet

8.song: Hotel California
guitarist: Don Felder/Joe Walsh

9.song: Crazy Train
guitarist: Randy Rhoads

10.song: Crossroads
guitarist: Eric Clapton

11.song: Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)

12.song: Johnny B. Goode
guitarist: Chuck Berry

13.song: Texas Flood
guitarist: Stevie Ray Vaughan

14.song: Layla
guitarist: Clapton/Allman

15.song: Floods
guitarist: Dimebag Darrel
SOLO
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

No wonder I've seen signs on guitar stores banning 'Stairway to Heaven'....
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

kheegan wrote:No wonder I've seen signs on guitar stores banning 'Stairway to Heaven'....
Yeah, the first few notes were really popular among guys testing out guitars on the floor, apparently. Still, the solo in it is particularly awesome, especially in the live version from "The Song Remains The Same".
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Is that the one from about.com? I recognise it due to learning how to play there. Their tutorial section is really quite cool, though really, it's not as good as someone showing you what to do.

And that Dimebag one shits all over Slash's, in my Deus Lamnia opinion :D.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I just can't shake the feeling that it's an injustice to put Jimmy Page over not only Hendrix, but Clapton as well.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Meh, "Top 10 Best..." lists are generally unreliable. After all, how does one qualify one solo as being "the best?" </cynic>
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Joe wrote:I just can't shake the feeling that it's an injustice to put Jimmy Page over not only Hendrix, but Clapton as well.
I recall my dad telling me about some kind of "greatest guitarist" vote conducted with guitarists, and Clapton said he regarded Page as being superior to both Hendrix and himself.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

I used to spend a lot of my time (read: most of it) hanging out in the guitar shop down here when I was first learning to play, and yeah, Stairway to Heaven gets on your fucking nerves. Bad.

And the November Rain solo makes me feel all warm and cozy in my jeans.
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Is it just me, or do these lists seem like an effort to grab attention and/or create controversy? Maybe I'm being too cyncial. I certainly can't argue with any of those choices, but we all have our favorites. I remember a couple years ago when Rolling Stone did their list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists and left off a boatload of my favorites and stuck Eddie Van Halen somewhere in the 70s. Eddie Van Halen only 70 out of 100? Eh?
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

Darth Quorthon wrote:Is it just me, or do these lists seem like an effort to grab attention and/or create controversy? Maybe I'm being too cyncial. I certainly can't argue with any of those choices, but we all have our favorites. I remember a couple years ago when Rolling Stone did their list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists and left off a boatload of my favorites and stuck Eddie Van Halen somewhere in the 70s. Eddie Van Halen only 70 out of 100? Eh?

I remember that. I think they had Jack White from White Stripes in the Top 10. :wtf: :banghead:

As for the list in this thread, I think they're just going for recognition and popularity, and I think it's a fair list.
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

It's a shame neither John Petrucci nor Brian May are featured there.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Julhelm wrote:It's a shame neither John Petrucci nor Brian May are featured there.
Or Steve Vai or Joe Satriani
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'm familiar with all of those artists to some degree except number 15. Why the fuck did they pick that as opposed to, say, Van Halen? Who's had some very excellent guitar solos.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

NeoGoomba wrote:
Julhelm wrote:It's a shame neither John Petrucci nor Brian May are featured there.

They both are further down the list of 100
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

where's the man who sold his soul to the devil to play the blues?

Robert fuckin Johnson?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

General Zod wrote:I'm familiar with all of those artists to some degree except number 15. Why the fuck did they pick that as opposed to, say, Van Halen? Who's had some very excellent guitar solos.
Van Halen's at number 2, blindy. :P

Dimebag was a great guitarist and they'd be lynched by Pantera fans if he wasn't on there, frankly, which no doubt was a possibility because they're too heavy for the average audiopussy. There's also no way that Chuck Berry "solo" is better than any solo on any Pantera song; it's just there because it's old.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

theski wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:

They both are further down the list of 100
Ah well then, there I go. And wow, I never new that Van Halen did the guitar for "Beat It". Guess I now have an excuse to like that song other than "they played it in the Moonwalker game".
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

I remember seeing that list in Rolling Stone a while back. I always wondered why Crossroads was above Layla.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

YT300000 wrote:I remember seeing that list in Rolling Stone a while back. I always wondered why Crossroads was above Layla.
because Robert Johnson sold his soul to play that tune.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

1.song: Stairway to Heaven
guitarist: Jimmy Page
Overplayed, overrated...
2.song: Eruption
guitarist: Eddie Van Halen
Not bad. Lacks a "timeless" quality due to sounding like the 80's incarnate.
3.song: Freebird
guitarist: Collins/Rossington
Come on... Can't we put this stupid song to bed?
4.song: Comfortably Numb
guitarist: David Gilmou
Pretty good.
5.song: All Along the Watchtower
Number 5? Are you joking? 5? You're telling me the solo in Freebird is better than Hendrix? :roll:
6.song: November Rain
guitarist: Slash
Not sure exactly what makes this one of the "greatest" solos ever, but this is a damn good one.
7.song: One
guitarist: Kirk Hammet
:roll:
8.song: Hotel California
guitarist: Don Felder/Joe Walsh
Eh... It's alright.
9.song: Crazy Train
guitarist: Randy Rhoads
Kirk Hammet's solo about Randy Rhoads'... Right. Once again, Freebird above Randy Rhoads' guitar work... Now there's a laugh.
10.song: Crossroads
guitarist: Eric Clapton
Dunno why Crossroads would be listed and not Sunshine of your Love or Layla, but whatever. :roll:
11.song: Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
Hendrix below Hammet? For fuck's sake.
12.song: Johnny B. Goode
guitarist: Chuck Berry
Have to admit that Chuck Berry was doing some pretty advanced stuff for the 50's.
13.song: Texas Flood
guitarist: Stevie Ray Vaughan
Not bad.
14.song: Layla
guitarist: Clapton/Allman
Not bad either, but at number 14? Wrong again...
15.song: Floods
guitarist: Dimebag Darrel
Something tells me this guy wouldn't be anywhere near this list if he were still alive...

Anyway, this list is shit. Where's Atkins? Where's Setzer? Where's Burton? Stooopid.[/code]
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Superman, we are of one mind on this. Literally, I could have made the exact same post.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Joe wrote:I just can't shake the feeling that it's an injustice to put Jimmy Page over not only Hendrix, but Clapton as well.
I recall my dad telling me about some kind of "greatest guitarist" vote conducted with guitarists, and Clapton said he regarded Page as being superior to both Hendrix and himself.
Well Clapton did a lot of drugs (he recorded Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs while supporting a thousand-pound-a-week heroin habit), and he must have been on something pretty heavy when he said that.

Page is a damned fined guitarist, but there's simply no way he's on Hendrix's level. Hendrix could do ANYTHING with a guitar, and he did shit in his relatively short career that Page was never able to do; produce a track of Page doing something as ambitious as Hendrix's Star-Spangled Banner, and then we can talk about the two being on the same level. I mean, listen to Hendrix live and a Zep concert live, and there's just no comparison, even for an untrained ear.

I could see Page maybe being as good as Clapton, but not really, personally. I would rather listen to Clapton or Hendrix than Zep any day of the week.

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

WIth regards to Hotel California, how is it a solo when played by two people?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I'm kinda partial to Deep Purple's Burn solos, both guitar and keyboard.
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

Maybe a little OT, but what is so great about Stairway to Heaven? I've heard it multiple times, and while it's all right, it seems to be too slow and boring for a supposedly epic rock song.
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM